Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1.e4 or 1.d4? (Read 31771 times)
lost highway

I may be crazy.

Re: 1.e4 or 1.d4?
Reply #66 - 10/01/05 at 06:46:01
Post Tools
Round 3 results for 1.e4 were 3 wins, 1 loss.  No more hehehe.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Cresspahl
YaBB Newbies

Audiatur et altera pars

Reply #65 - 10/01/05 at 03:12:42
Post Tools
Quote:
hehehe.

White has played 1.e4 in all four of the first round games in San Luis.  White's combined score? 0-2-2!

Maybe White shoulda played 1.d4!

Smyslov_Fan,

Topalov actually played a Queens Indian in round 2 versus Anand. So the records are 1/1 or 100% for the d4-Aficionados!

Cheers,
Cresspahl Grin

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #64 - 10/01/05 at 00:43:28
Post Tools
Quote:
So what do you play against the Nimzo? When I was playing d4 and c4, it was probably the toughest defence for me to crack.

4. Qc2! must be the best move if its the unanimous choice of top 20 players (Kasparov, Topalov, Aronian, Dreev, Bareev, Sokolov etc.), only Bacrot sticks to 4. Nf3, and Kramnik plays both 4. Qc2 and 4. e3. I have resigned myself to learning the complicated 4. Qc2 theory (especially 4... d5 is a mess). Undecided

4. f3 is an old love, but nowadays only use it against weaker opposition.
4. e3 with 5. Ne2 against everything is a reliable backup weapon, and may even be good for White. But ultimately not aggresive enough for me to be a main weapon.

4. Nf3 would have been a great choice, if not for 4... c5! which for me leads to unpalatable positions for both colours.

I don't know what to think of 4. Bg5 yet.  Smiley

IP Logged

Darthmambo

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #63 - 09/30/05 at 21:24:14
Post Tools
Quote:
I am facing a very similar problem with designing a complete repertoire.  I don't think the best solution is strictly following a narrow repertoire, as inevitably there will be certain positions that will not be appropriate in specific playing conditions.  I am beginning to think of the development of my repertoire in terms of several systems that are each appropriate to different circumstances or types of opponent.  For me, it difficult to narrow myself to one mode of opening systems, as a I have a broad interest.  (From your postal play, it seems that you have a broad interest also.)  Here's an example of a framework of systems I have considered.  You could think of each system as like a "gear" of a car, where lower gears are appropriate for lower speeds and higher gears for higher speeds.  (Though don't draw too many conclusions from the comparsion!  Smiley  )

Gear 1:
White:  (1.d4) Trompovsky (a Prie style repertoire)
Black:  Scandinavian, a6 Slav
Here each opening has a stylistic and structural similarity, and is efficient from the perspective of preparation and energy exerted over the board.  Of course, there are several drawbacks to playing this exclusively.  In some lines it might be difficult to beat weaker players, and against stronger players there are likely to be some "holes" in preparation due the improvisational nature of the openings.  I think this should be viewed as a back-up weapon that combines solidity with a small element of surpise.

Gear 2:
White:  (1.e4)  Rublevsky style; i.e. many of the lines Collins recommends his repertoire book (c3 Sicilian, Scotch, Panov-Botvinnik, Advance French)
Black:  Alekhine, Dutch Systems
In my opinion, the white repertoire is forceful from the white perspective and is excellent for efficiently beating weaker opposition.  The black systems are more ambitious than Gear 1, and likely offer better winning chances against weaker opposition.  In this system, it is very important to develop your own theory (especially as black).

The Gear 2 black openings carry a degree of risk, so it is good to a have a solid backup with the Gear 1 openings.  The Gear 2 white openings sometimes have the drawback of being too forceful, so it is sometimes good to have a system that is more improvisational to generate winning chances against well-prepared opposition.

"Higher gear" opening systems (i.e. main line openings) may be developed with postal play and independent analysis, and may at some point be used interchangeably with the lower gears:

Gear 3:
White: 1.d4 (Positional, Palliser style as in "Play d4")
Black:  Najdorf, Nimzo, X 2
The white systems can be adopted at an early stage with Gear 1, especially against 1...d5.

Gear 4:
White: 1.e4 (main line, as in the Anand repertoire by Khalifman)
Black:  Scheveningen Najdorf, KID, Benoni

Gear 3 complements Gear 1, and Gear 4 complements Gear 2.

What is "White:  (1.d4) Trompovsky (a Prie style repertoire)"? What does Prie reconmend in the tromp (I am really looking into it these days to help cut down on the study time and I like the positions)? Just wondering what his reconmendations are. Thanks.

IP Logged

Darthmambo

Reply #62 - 09/30/05 at 21:20:38
Post Tools
Quote:
When considering picking up 1. d4, you should ask yourself two questions:

1) what to do against the nimzo
2) what to do against 1. d4 d5 (especially QGD and slav/semi-slav).

If you prefer facing the nimzo to the sicilian I guess 1. d4 is a better choice? i find this comparison apt, because the nimzo is somewhat like the sicilian... in that black has an extremely sound position and yet can play for a win.

The other comparison is: do you prefer to face the QGD and slav/semislav, or face the Petroff and Berlin Ruy?

for me 1. d4 is a no-brainer choice.

So what do you play against the Nimzo? When I was playing d4 and c4, it was probably the toughest defence for me to crack.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #61 - 09/28/05 at 23:09:00
Post Tools
hehehe.

White has played 1.e4 in all four of the first round games in San Luis.  White's combined score? 0-2-2!

Maybe White shoulda played 1.d4!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #60 - 09/24/05 at 06:48:37
Post Tools
Just checked my ICC statistics, after changing to BlitzIn 2.5 I have

1.c4, 76 games, -25 in performance
1.e4, 43 games, +78 in performance

In OTB chess I have -16 after 48 games using 1.c4. Having a minus as white is not a good sign.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #59 - 09/23/05 at 10:17:15
Post Tools
Quote:
(In a mock-serious tone: )

If you're gonna quote Fischer, quote him accurately: "1.P-K4, Best by test." Shocked

Ya, I deliberately transcribed it to algebric for the benefit of tthe younger ones. I'll admit guilt to adding the brackets tho.

Seriously now..... for me it was a case of choosing whether I preferred meeting the QGD & Indians or meeting The Sicilians, French & CK. I dont mind meeting Indians , but meeting the QGD wasnt my cup of tea as I felt I needed more activity & open lines, & neither did I feel too comfortable playing against the Cambridge Springs. So e4 (P-K4) it is for me. As much as I have unhappy experiences against the French (Winawer especially) & CK, Both the French xchange & the Panno-Botvinnik vs CK does provide a more open & spacious condition otb which I enjoy.

This being the case....some of you who wrote abt knowing/deciding which defense you would prefer playing against as white makes a lot of sense for me & i do identify with that approach.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #58 - 09/23/05 at 00:30:18
Post Tools
Inn and MNb,

I don't face the Benoni very often here.  There's a fair number of Benkos, but there are only two or three players in the region (several western states of the US) who play the Modern Benoni with any regularity.  And of those players, I can only think of one who's over 2200.  In my neck of the woods, there's only one active GM, and he's just recently moved to Denver.  We don't have that many high-powered opening gurus here. 

The openings that are hot against 1.d4 here are the Slav (and until about 5 yrs ago I was the only one who played it  Cry), Benko, KID, Dutch and recently a few QGA's.  There are one or two strong players who do play the Nimzo-Indian and QID, and one who will play almost anything other than what I just wrote. 

So at least here, even the Grunfeld isn't a big deal, and the Modern Benoni is only a big deal against one master.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #57 - 09/23/05 at 00:01:59
Post Tools
geez... I hadn't noticed that transposition, if only because most nimzo players never push their d-pawn two steps!

I agree with you too that Alias shouldn't fear the Grunfeld/KID, since White has a large leeway to choose the game's strategic direction. The Benoni is suprisingly strong though, in the hands of good tactical players this can be a headache, and here the choice for White is narrower: White has only 4 good systems to choose (from most to least aggressive): Taimanov, Modern Main Line, Samisch, Bf4.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #56 - 09/22/05 at 23:34:13
Post Tools
NID: 4.Qc2 c5 5.dxc5 o-o 6.Bf4 Bxc5 7.e3 Nc6 8.Nf3 d5.
This is the same as 4.Nf3 Be7 5.Bf4 o-o 6.e3 c5 7.dxc5 Bxc5 8.Qc2 Nc6 in the QGD.
Of course Black has several options to deviate.
I assumed, this transposition was one of the reasons you are so fond of those Bf4 systems, Inn2!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #55 - 09/22/05 at 23:21:54
Post Tools
Quote:
Inn2 prefers a setup with 5.Bf4, which has the advantage that White can also use it against the NID.

How does one use 5. Bf4 against the nimzo?! I have resigned myself to learning the complicated Vienna and Ragozin, but White has all the attacking chances in these lines!

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #54 - 09/22/05 at 23:13:05
Post Tools
Quote:
Debatable. According to Tal after 10 moves or so the game becomes so complex, that the first move advantage has lost its meaning.

Does it take 10 moves to get complex? There are 239 million ways in which the first 4 legal moves can be made. No, I'm not kidding. Issac Asimov's strange facts has this info. Cheesy

CastleRock

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #53 - 09/22/05 at 22:57:16
Post Tools
@Alias
"I'm more worried about Grünfeld, KI and Benoni. Also the solid QG-lines is a concern."
You shouldn't. On the Grünfeld last few years two relevant books have been published offering a White repertoire: How to get an edge against the G and Challenging the G. Of course there is more.
Against both the KI and the Benoni White has a wide choice, varying from 3/4 pawns attacks to positional g3 systems. Again you should be able to make a good choice.
Against the QGD White has some aggressive variations at his disposal too: Exchange variations with Nge2,f3, Rubinstein Variation 7.Qc2. Inn2 prefers a setup with 5.Bf4, which has the advantage that White can also use it against the NID.
About the same is true for the French. OK, 3.e5 does not suit you - it does not suit me either. As you already have pointed out, there is more.
Now I do not want to discuss the merits of all White options here. The point I want to make, is that every player should be able to find something to his taste against these Black defenses.

So I think your choice boils down to: NID 4.Qc2, QID 4.a3 or (anti)Petrov. What's more fun for you? After you have made your choice, forget about the rest, stick to it for a while and build your repertoire around it.
I am curious what will be the outcome.

@Smyslov_Fan
"White has a statistical,  theoretical, and real advantage of the first move."
Debatable. According to Tal after 10 moves or so the game becomes so complex, that the first move advantage has lost its meaning. I think it is more practical for amateurs to play in this spirit than to haunt a virtual edge as White. Alias' strive for interesting positions confirms this. Frankly I don not give much for moral imperatives. When playing chess I am a hedonist.

@Bravehoptoad
"test driving both 1. d4 and 1. e4 in blitz games."
This is really not a good idea in corr games.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #52 - 09/22/05 at 16:01:38
Post Tools
Quote:
Now, on a slightly more serious note, and actually addressing Alias' question:

Both 1e4 and 1.d4 are great, superb, excellent, classic!  But, for a player coming off c4 and Nf3 systems, 1.d4 makes a much more gentle transition.  So in your case, if you've been playing a bunch of English Openings you should probably consider 1.d4 lines.  

To save yourself some work in the beginning, the Catalan is an excellent transitional opening from the English, and cuts down on a lot of your work.  Against the KID the Classical or the Saemisch is the way to go, so you may as well learn one of those.  The Grunfeld may be a special problem for you, so give Black the headache for a change, don't go into the Exchange variation.  The Classical (Bf4) System is still good.  You may also want to check out the relatively harmless fianchetto system against the Grunfeld too, since that will be similar to your previous repertoire.  

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how things are progressing!

You may have a point, but I seriously doubt that playing d4 is more akin to the english than e4. Me personally and I used to be a confirmed e4 player now sometimes vary with c4 or d4. I have noticed that I feel very "natural" with c4, especially in the e5 variations. Still whichever is picked it will mean a switch and it will cost some points in the beginning.
If Alias picks e4 I'd suggest a quick d4 reperoire against all the non e5 (eg open or Bb5 sicilian, main french, main caro) answers and the Ruy with the main lines if you feel confident and with d3 if you get surprised (eg the Schliemann).

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #51 - 09/22/05 at 15:56:09
Post Tools
Quote:
As for the actual question of the thread:  Alias, I think you're doing the right thing in "test driving" both 1. d4 and 1. e4 in blitz games.  That'll give you a way better feel for what you like than any theorizing or guess-work.  If you're enjoying 1. e4 the most in blitz, I'm betting you'll enjoy it the most in classical time controls, too.

I second that!  (Just realise that 1.e4 will demand more study.  Oh shucks, I just recommended that you play more chess.  Isn't that horrible!  8) It's great when your favorite pasttime is rich enough to take up all of your free time if you want it to!)

IP Logged

bravehoptoad

Chess nuts boasting in
an open foyer

Reply #50 - 09/22/05 at 15:48:50
Post Tools
Quote:
It is better to stick to a stable light on theory repertoire and then study cutting edge theory, one at a time.

I'm with Inn2--this has been my strategy for a long time as well.  My "e4" repetoire started with 1. Nc3, which usually transposed to some kind of e4 game, but drastically limited the amount of study I had to do.  When at last I felt comfortable, I moved to playing 1. e4 outright, but with a set of modest openings that didn't require much theory, like Bishop's Opening, or the Short system in the Advance Caro, or the Closed Sicilian.  With this last I've worked around to switching to an Open Sicilian with 3. Nf6 when Black plays 2...e6, and maybe someday--who knows?--I'll play Open against all Sicilians...or maybe I'll "upgrade" my answer to 1...e5 first. 

It's repetoire building in installments, and so far it's worked out okay for me. 

It's funny but true that I'm guessing we class players skimp on our White repetoires--where it's possible to get an equal game without much effort--to concentrate on our Black repetoires--where you can get blown off the board if you don't know what you're doing. 

As for the actual question of the thread:  Alias, I think you're doing the right thing in "test driving" both 1. d4 and 1. e4 in blitz games.  That'll give you a way better feel for what you like than any theorizing or guess-work.  If you're enjoying 1. e4 the most in blitz, I'm betting you'll enjoy it the most in classical time controls, too.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #49 - 09/22/05 at 15:07:48
Post Tools
Willempie:

True, true.  He didn't play the best move even when he had the BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) that in fact 1.d4 is indeed best. 8)

Now, on a slightly more serious note, and actually addressing Alias' question:

Both 1e4 and 1.d4 are great, superb, excellent, classic!  But, for a player coming off c4 and Nf3 systems, 1.d4 makes a much more gentle transition.  So in your case, if you've been playing a bunch of English Openings you should probably consider 1.d4 lines. 

To save yourself some work in the beginning, the Catalan is an excellent transitional opening from the English, and cuts down on a lot of your work.  Against the KID the Classical or the Saemisch is the way to go, so you may as well learn one of those.  The Grunfeld may be a special problem for you, so give Black the headache for a change, don't go into the Exchange variation.  The Classical (Bf4) System is still good.  You may also want to check out the relatively harmless fianchetto system against the Grunfeld too, since that will be similar to your previous repertoire. 

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how things are progressing!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #48 - 09/22/05 at 14:54:33
Post Tools
well he didnt play 1d4 either Tongue

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #47 - 09/22/05 at 14:34:48
Post Tools
(In a mock-serious tone: )

If you're gonna quote Fischer, quote him accurately: "1.P-K4, Best by test." Shocked

Well, apparently, Fischer failed his own test in the World Championship match!  Tongue  

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #46 - 09/22/05 at 10:20:12
Post Tools
e4! (best by test) Grin 8) Grin

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #45 - 09/22/05 at 10:08:46
Post Tools
Controversial does not begin to desribe what this whole thread is about. I was thinking on mant different planes for this one.

For one who wants to limit the amount of positions that can arise after the first move i would recomend either the off beat flank openings like the Larsen or Sokolosky even the Dunst which we americans call 1.Nc3 any way.

As black it is much harder to limit posibilities. But a serious thought would be to think about well what openings are there that dont have 50 million anti lines!
I was thinking Modern,Owens,Pirc, or even the saint george which will cause a prolem all by it self for me mentioning it.

But as for the question of which is better i would leave that to the philophers who are not us. I mean its just depends on the man or woman playing the game. I play e4 and i know i have to face a lot of openings. I have cut out a lot of them by playing the crazy gambit stuff,smith-morra,alipin,Milnerberry,omega gambit. I mean thats the way to limit the thoery by playing things that try to throw the black player off right a way.

Im not saying it will work for every one but when i started school i couldnt keep spending 6-8 hours a day so i changed gears and still must look at different lines but not nearly as much as if say i played an open siclian. I will ocasionaly bring out the classical french though.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #44 - 09/22/05 at 09:07:10
Post Tools
I'm not advocating that we all become encyclopaedias of openings.  In fact I'm hoping for just the opposite. That we are creative from the very beginning.  However, where clearly the best move is also one that has been studied in depth, we shouldn't be afraid to play it.  We should have confidence in ourselves that we can play the best moves regardless of how well Black is prepared.  In fact, our level of preparedness is probably going to be greater than those around us anyway just because we do spend the time here.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #43 - 09/22/05 at 07:54:25
Post Tools
My favourite theory is that the choice of 1. d4 or 1. e4 happens by luck and circumstance. Otherwise its very hard to explain how people came to feel "more comfortable" with one move more than the other. Very few are really comfortable with both first moves. Maybe it has something to do with the innate wiring of our brains that makes us like one move more than the other?!

Whether one likes positional/tactical play is not so relevant to the question, as it's well known that the sharpest opening belongs to 1. d4 (the Botvinnik Semi-Slav Grin) and the most boring opening belongs to 1. e4 (Giuoco Piannismo! Wink)!!

My point is, choose what your instinct tells you. Its all fated, the choice has probably been already made for you when your brain was being wired as a child! Smiley

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #42 - 09/22/05 at 04:44:21
Post Tools
I fully agree with you castlerock.

Once in a while I play IMs and GMs but have no aspiration to do become one. All I want is to have  a decent repertoire for a 2000-2100 player. Something that puts black under pressure (even in CC games) and is more fun than the current c4/g3 lines I play.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #41 - 09/22/05 at 04:30:21
Post Tools
Quote:
While Bogo was clearly a bit full of himself, this attitude of White playing with the advantage of the first move seems to have been lost a bit among non-professional grade players.  Let's fix that!

We can't fix that because it is not existent in the first place. Tongue

For example, how many times have you got 18…Nc6 or whatever in Classical KID? Or for that matter a 26th move improvement recommended by Chris Ward in Dragon? Well, the honest answer would be ‘zero’ if your opponent is rated below 2200. Wink

As part of my cutting edge theory study, I’m presently looking at Winnaver now. Out of curiosity, I transferred the lines to a chessbase file. There are 79 lines in 8.Qg4 Nbc6 lines alone! I didn’t even include 8…f5. At this count PTF3 should have 2000 line in Winnaver alone. What is the predicament of someone wanting learn (completely) KID and Sicilian Najdorf from black side and Open Sicilian, Nc3 French and Marshall Attack as white? What kind of a life someone who does that will lead? I would really pity him. Cry

The fact of the matter is, it is not done and it can’t be done, if you want to pass out with good grades or pay the bills and take care of family or girl friend! It’s a blessing in disguise!  GrinI don’t want to play chess if we are forced to dish out 25 moves from the book, play 5 or 6 original moves and then hand over the game to Nalimov Tablebase! Cheesy

The moment one player goes of book within 15 moves, both players go out of book and that’s fun. That’s the way out fathers played, that’s the way we play and that’s the way our children would play.

Now I’m feeling like a broken record when it comes to this topic (or perhaps about talent in chess) and I’ll try to avoid posting this view again.

All I want to say is that opening is important. To the extent of knowing the setups, general direction of the expected middle game and not stepping on to the mine fields. Beyond that, which particular choice of move number 13 will give 0.13 pawn advantage is meaningless. It’s nice to do it here to generally widen our knowledge so long as we don’t try to put it rigorously in practice.

@Inn2

I’m also like you, except that I prefer to go the Nf3,e3,Nbd2 way if I can’t get my Bg5 in.

CastleRock

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #40 - 09/22/05 at 04:10:21
Post Tools
MNb: Maybe I'm not the one to say so, because I haven't made the decision of e4 or d4, but I don't think your issues are the most important ones.

The variations you mention are some of those which are considered to be the best for black.

White can't force +/= in every possible line.

The most important issue is whether I as white feel comfortable in the opening phase. Do I reach interesting positions I think I understand? When just looking at a few games or a few lines some openings or opening lines might look very promising. When looking in more detail things are often not that clear.

That's the tricky part. To know if an opening is suitable for me, I need to get down to details and to know details of all possible opening choices takes far too much time.

All I know is that I don't like c4, d3, e4 vs the KI and I don't like Reti. I don't think white has anything in the lines Kosten recommends against the dragon reversed or in the e5/c6 lines. Also, the symmetric lines he recommends are dull.

Going back to MNb's comment, I think that the sicilian is a main issue. Open or Anti-sic lines? Anti-sic lines might be practical but not very exciting. Most Najdorfs and Sveshnikovs are interesting. Many lines are equal or unclear but still interesting for white. f4 was recommended in BTS2 and 3. I don't like that line. Bg5, Be3 or Be2 seem better. I'd probably go for the exf5, c3 line vs Sveshnikov. I'm not that comfortable in Hedgehogs and Maroczys even though early c4 often is recommended against Taimanov/Kan and Acc dragon. Petroff is a tough nut to crack. Early Nc3 or c4 are interesting choices. I'm also a bit worried about the french. I don't know if Nc3, Nd2 or e5 suits me. It's a tricky opening. I've played e5 in CC and blitz but the games have been rather unexciting.

I think both Qc2 Nimzo and a3 QI are interesting. I'm more worried about Grünfeld, KI and Benoni. Also the solid QG-lines is a concern.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #39 - 09/22/05 at 03:03:44
Post Tools
Ewfim Bogoljubov had a famous motto:

"When I'm White, I win because I'm White.
When I'm Black I win because I'm Bogo!"

While Bogo was clearly a bit full of himself, this attitude of White playing with the advantage of the first move seems to have been lost a bit among non-professional grade players.  Let's fix that!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #38 - 09/22/05 at 02:57:57
Post Tools
This thread is beginning to sound like GMs Suba and Adorjan have won the theoretical argument of the first move.

They both argue that Black is better because he has the second move.  Suba uses the example of the childish game: 

Player 1:  Pick a number
Player 2:  27
Player 1:  28! I win!

From what I've read, it's miserable to be White because no matter how White plays Black is going to have a theoretical advantage in whatever opening he chooses.  I refuse to believe that (except when I'm playing Black of course  Wink ).  White has a statistical,  theoretical, and real advantage of the first move.  If White has to work hard to prove that advantage, Black has to work even harder to disprove it!

White shouldn't be afraid of his or her opponents' openings, rather White should play either 1.d4 or 1.e4 (or s/he can choose between several other moves that are probably just as good).  White should stake a claim to having the better position and be prepared to fight for it!  If that means studying the White side of openings you find distasteful, then so be it!

Ok, the practical side of me agrees that it's easier to play a few non-critical lines and avoid theory.  There's another weapon in White's arsenal though:  Move order!

White can pick and choose which openings to study and find ways to force his or her opponent into the lines White wants to play!  Here's an example for the 1.d4 player:

I was playing a friend who loves the Seville variation of the Grunfeld and the Benko as Black.  He also plays the King's Indian, but not as well as the other two.  I played 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 and here he thought for a while before playing 3...Bg7 4.e4! d6 5.d4 0-0 and we're into the KID Classical without my opponent even getting a chance to play his favorite lines.  Later on, I "offered" to go into a Grunfeld by playing 4.d4.  But since this would likely take the game into non-Exchange lines and I was obviously prepared, he decided to try the King's Indian again.  I scored 2-0.

White, to move, has the advantage.  It's almost a moral imperative for White to play that way, and not be afraid of his opponent's preparation!

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #37 - 09/22/05 at 01:46:51
Post Tools
Quote:
It is better to stick to a stable light on theory repertoire and then study cutting edge theory, one at a time.

This is a good point. Its something i've been practising all along unconsciously, until you mentioned it! Some "permanent stop-gaps" which I have relied upon while learning my main lines are the Nimzo  4. e3 + 5. Ne2 (against everthing), 4. Nd2/4. a4 Benko, and 3. f3 against the Grunfeld (fits well with my Samisch KID).

I do think that it is very difficult for White to be theory-less and still seek an initiative after 1. d4 d5  though, and imho there is no avoiding theory here, which is why most of my opening study have been dedicated to cutting edge QGD/slav lines.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #36 - 09/21/05 at 23:01:30
Post Tools
Quote:

In blitz I enjoy playing 1.d4 and even more 1.e4. I use not so theoretical systems like the Bb5-sicilian which I know very litte about. Still, chess seems much more fun now.

I just have problems getting organized. One day I look at Bg5 Najdorf, next day it's what to play against Grünfeld, and so on. And I never manage to make any decision.

I think, that's the way to go about even in OTB. Chess has to be fun if you are not chasing titles. Normal cycle of -  buy a repertoire book - a couple of quick wins - some heavy losses - buy another repertoire book - never impressed me.

Bottom line is chess should be fun. It was fun when we learned the game. If it is not fun any more, what is the point in playing? Tongue If you want to be a so called pro, it's a different matter.

Unfortunately, chess is too serious to be a game and not serious enough to be a profession. With so many blogs around, losing sanity is quite easy.

Let me end with my favourite quote. Opening is fetish, if you are less than 2200 elo.

Just my 2c.
« Last Edit: 09/22/05 at 00:18:56 by castlerock »  

CastleRock

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #35 - 09/21/05 at 22:04:45
Post Tools
You appearantly have not answered yet the questions I asked in my first reply of this thread:

What to do against:
The Najdorf, the Svesjnikov and the Petrov?

or:

The Nimzo-Indian/Queen's Indian?

This certainly will help you to make up your mind.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #34 - 09/21/05 at 03:53:06
Post Tools
I still haven't made a decision. (Chess players often seem to need a lot of time to make decisions, don't they?)

I'm completely fed up with several of the set ups recommended in Kosten's book. Last weekend I played a tournament where I played  three higher rated players (including GM Berg) as white and got into the dreadful Botvinnik set up. Although I got decent positions these positions bore me to death now.

In blitz I enjoy playing 1.d4 and even more 1.e4. I use not so theoretical systems like the Bb5-sicilian which I know very litte about. Still, chess seems much more fun now.

I just have problems getting organized. One day I look at Bg5 Najdorf, next day it's what to play against Grünfeld, and so on. And I never manage to make any decision.

By the way, I see that Everyman is producing "Starting Out: 1.e4 " and "Starting Out: 1.d4" next year. Two repertoire books. http://www.everymanbooks.com/display.php?id=278 and http://www.everymanbooks.com/display.php?id=280 I probably don't more books though.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #33 - 05/25/05 at 19:40:26
Post Tools
Quote:
So there is no easy answer, and just about every point for one opening can be argued to the contrary against another.  But one thing is clear:  an understanding of both 1.e4 and 1.d4 openings is important to achieve a high level of mastery in the game.

Agreed.

Top Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #32 - 05/25/05 at 01:14:55
Post Tools
Yes, KID is no easy opening for white.  What do you expect from an opening that Fishcer and Kasparov have regularly played?  I think this is often one of the greatest headaches for a 1.d4 player.  I cannot say that I have felt fully at ease on either side of the KID.  It is a very tense opening!

I think you can end up arguing in circles as to whether it takes more preparation to play 1.e4 or 1.d4.  Personally, I think it is easier to make small alterations or additions to an 1.e4 repertoire than a 1.d4 repertoire, as the play seem to be more clearly defined by the early opening moves, and there tend to be fewer transpositional problems.  In my opinion, the play in the 1.e4 openings tends to be more concrete.  In a way, I think this factor make preparation easier in some aspects and harder in others.  With 1.e4 I think it is easier to prepare against a targeted opponent due to the concrete nature of the play.  However, to prepare against random opposition (as in an open tournament), I think it usually takes less time to form a fully conceived repertoire with 1.d4.  But I think someone could easily give a convincing argument for a reverse opinion.  Against a targeted opponent, the concrete nature of the play of 1.e4 can easily backfire in the midst of an unexpected deviation.  Also, in forming an 1.e4 repertoire, there are many tricky shortcuts, so perhaps there is an argument for forming a full repertoire in a shorter time.  If you look though the Secrets of Opening Surprise articles, you will notice that a large percentage of the ideas for white are in 1.e4 openings.  However, the clear drawback of forming a tricky repertoire like this is that you will simply have a bag of tricks without a good foundation.  However, to play 1.d4, there are certain fundamental middlegame structures associated with the main line openings, that cannot be avoided even if a theory avoiding approach is used.  I think this is strong argument for recommending a 1.d4 repertoire for a young, developing player.  I think at earlier stage in chess development, it is easier to see the ties between middlegame strategy and the opening in the 1.d4 openings.  In contrast, the concrete nature of 1.e4 openings seems to make the classification of typical middlegames more difficult, as the positions have a higher tactical instability.  Note that with higher instability, there is a greater chance of surprise.  Theory is a double-edged sword!

So there is no easy answer, and just about every point for one opening can be argued to the contrary against another.  But one thing is clear:  an understanding of both 1.e4 and 1.d4 openings is important to achieve a high level of mastery in the game.

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #31 - 05/24/05 at 14:59:11
Post Tools
I am a KID player myself and I find some of the negative comments here against it quite amusing  Grin

There is no doubt that to play the KID well you have to do some work, but if you do that work the results canbe very rewarding.

The statement that all d4 players love playing against the KID is also a curious one, but in my practice none of my opponents seemed particularly comfortable at the board and more than 50% of them that chose the Classical usually ended up getting mated, often in embarrassing fashion. Strangely enough many of those mated chose the Bayonet Attack (Kramnik Style), as many Whites of all levels think that this is an easy line to play.  

Lets try to remember that the game's strongest two chess players, namely Bobby Fischer and Gary Kasparov used the KID as their main defence on the road to becoming World Chess champion. That should be a seal of approval in itself.

The Nimzo Indian is perhaps the 'soundest' defence to 1.d4, but its not a complete defence as it mustbe supplemented with the Bogo Indian or Benoni, which is an additional work load.

As usual there is no free lunch, since every major defence has its pros and cons. Therefore, what every player must decide for himself, is which of these major defences suits his style best and make his choices accordingly.

Top Grin
« Last Edit: 05/25/05 at 19:35:57 by TopNotch »  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #30 - 05/24/05 at 08:55:49
Post Tools
Compared to the Nimzo-Indian, the Dutch, Iljin-Zjenevsky, has a lot less theory, because there are so few games played with it. That also means, that there is much room for independent analysis.
But I agree, the most important issue should be to be confident with the resulting positions. This contains both an objective and subjective element. That is why I do not like questions like which defence has least theory.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

elspringer

Reply #29 - 05/24/05 at 06:34:07
Post Tools
What really tickles me is that openings seem to get  chosen just for the amount of work that is thought to be connected with it, and not for the kind of positions you can get with it...
And I think that basically the amount of work to be done remains equal. I mean,  I cannot imagine that the choice of this or that opening move could substantially limit the number of possible positions arising from it...

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #28 - 05/24/05 at 00:53:59
Post Tools
Quote:
You left out a lot Prince-Nez

For the kings pawn there also is the: The modern, philidor, latvian, St.George which an Im in michigan plays

I also left out the Albin and Two Knights Tango against d4. Tongue

I'll concede I shouldn't have left out the Modern and perhaps the Philidor as well.  The Latvian?   Angry  No, I refuse to waste my time.   Grin  I'll play a bunch of speed games against it instead.  The St. George???? No! No! No!  I don't care if the whole state of Michigan plays it.  Any e4 player who devotes any serious amount of time to studying that either has too much time on his hands or isn't using his study time properly.   Grin Grin

I agree that we should play what we feel most comfortable with.

Chess is hard work and building an opening repertoire is part of that hard work (Although not as important as so many of us class players think it is.)  Whether you play e4 and do all that work or d4 and do even more work  Grin  you will have to work.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/24/05 at 00:15:22
Post Tools
"Just a basic count:

e4: e5, CK, Sicilian, Pirc, Scandy, French and Alekhine

d4: QGD, QGA, Benoni, Benko, KID, Nimzo/QID, Grunfeld, Slav, Semi-Slav, Chigorin, Budapest...

What did I leave out?"

You left out a lot Prince-Nez

For the kings pawn there also is the: The modern, philidor, latvian, St.George which an Im in michigan plays , owens, daring defenses is the name of the forum for a reason. The whole point at least in my point of view is to not just discuss the topical lines but also the fun side lines sound or unsound. I playa sicilian Najdorf no less but i also love to play owens defense. Just because its not common doesnt meen that you shouldnt know alittle about it. The Elaphant gambit is very unnerving if you have never seen it as white.

And compared to the Najdorf which i havea few losses i have never lost with owens defense in tournament or club play. Why because people are like what the hell is he playing.

So preparation for both is important but i dont think playing either is easier. So what ever you play play with what you feel is right.

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #26 - 05/16/05 at 11:43:57
Post Tools
Quote:
Hi,

Nimzo/lnn2 15 vs KID:  it always seems to me the KID is a bad choice psychologically against 1. d4 players. All 1. d4 players like a stable space advantage, and the KID concedes it. Not that I think the KID is a "bad" opening, (my choice of Makogonov's 5. h3/ Samisch actually shows how much I respect it!), but I can tell you the KID makes all 1. d4 players happy Smiley

In fact the nimzo is the No. 1 problem for 1. d4 players.

workload: You also need more work with the KID. White has too many different setups. But as a bonus you can use it against 1. c4, 1. Nf3.

Tromp:  You could lump all black defences starting with 1... Nf6 as "indian defences", and i think the Tromp is the strongest Anti-Indian (much like Bb5/c3 are the strongest Anti-Sicilians). It is by far, more potent than the torre/colle/london. My repertoire is main line 1. d4 and 2. c4. But the tromp is a nice surprise weapon indeed.

Hey,

Thank you for your thoughts on the Nimzo/QID v. KID.

I know many top players do look at the KID as a bad opening or near bad opening now but, as Lombardy said, "All openings are playable under 2000."  I might have the quote slightly wrong but it was something like that.

I have always played various QGD variations against the QG and have done ok but often it is just too hard to break through.  I don't want to try the Slav (or Semi-Slav) so I thought I'd have a go with one of the Indian defenses.  The Nimzo is appealing to me but the QID just looks too similar to the QGD Tartakower.   Perhaps that is just ignorance on my part.  Anyway, this is why I was considering the KID.   I think the Nimzo/QID are a little closer to my style so I am not sure what I will do yet.  I may go back to the Chigorin, which I used to play.

On the Tromp:  I have tried it in the past and never won a serious game with it while losing a handful of them.  I particularly had problems with the variation 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 d5 3.Nf3 Ne4 4.Bf4 c5.

I just find the Tromp to be second rate (at least against good opposition) and only has value as a surprise weapon.  If you play d4, you should bite the bullet and do all the work it takes to play the QG against everything. 

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #25 - 05/16/05 at 00:08:01
Post Tools
Hi,

Nimzo/QID vs KID:  it always seems to me the KID is a bad choice psychologically against 1. d4 players. All 1. d4 players like a stable space advantage, and the KID concedes it. Not that I think the KID is a "bad" opening, (my choice of Makogonov's 5. h3/ Samisch actually shows how much I respect it!), but I can tell you the KID makes all 1. d4 players happy Smiley

In fact the nimzo is the No. 1 problem for 1. d4 players.

workload: You also need more work with the KID. White has too many different setups. But as a bonus you can use it against 1. c4, 1. Nf3.

Tromp:  You could lump all black defences starting with 1... Nf6 as "indian defences", and i think the Tromp is the strongest Anti-Indian (much like Bb5/c3 are the strongest Anti-Sicilians). It is by far, more potent than the torre/colle/london. My repertoire is main line 1. d4 and 2. c4. But the tromp is a nice surprise weapon indeed.

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #24 - 05/15/05 at 22:53:20
Post Tools
Lets throw the Tromp in.  What is your repertoire?

Is it the Queen's Gambit against d5 and the Tromp against everything else?   

That probably is less work then an e4 repertoire (with the Bb5 Sicilian) but the e4 player will at least know he is playing good openings.... Grin

I am rather biased against the Tromp.

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #23 - 05/15/05 at 21:14:18
Post Tools
Oh, I forgot to mention the Dutch as well.   Tongue  Grin

Quote:
while i hardly know much about 1. e4 e5, my impression is that the Exchange Queens Gambit is stronger than the Bishop's Opening or Ruy Exchange!~ At least you see Kasparov playing the queen's gambit exchange but not the ruy exchange!

By the way, I don't buy your strange argument about excluding open sicilians. If you do that, why can't you include the Tromp in the 1. d4 calculus?? The Tromp is no less effective than any anti-sicilian you can think of   Angry

Bobby Fischer played the exchange Ruy.

What is strange?  I thought the debate was essentially the Queen's Gambit (i.e. d4 followed eventually by c4) v. e4.   1. e4 players can't avoid the Sicilian while the Tromp is an entirely different opening (What is the QGD of the Tromp?) and not as good as you imply.   The other point on this is that white has very reasonable/strong alternatives to the open Sicilian in the form of Bb5 and, yes, even c3.

Bent Larsen once asked about the open Sicilian, "Why should white give up his d pawn for black's c pawn?"  A good question, indeed.

Btw, on an unrelated but similar question (and leaving aside questions of style) what do you think would take more work to play: the KID or the Nimzo/QID/Bogo?
I hope you don't mind my asking.  Despite our disagreement, you are clearly very knowledgeable.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #22 - 05/15/05 at 20:56:00
Post Tools
Quote:
Well, you are slightly fast and loose with the facts, my friend.  d4 players get to play the exchange QGD but e4 players don't get to play the exchange Ruy or the Bishop's Opening?   The exchange Ruy can be quite effective at club level.

while i hardly know much about 1. e4 e5, my impression is that the Exchange Queens Gambit is stronger than the Bishop's Opening or Ruy Exchange!~ At least you see Kasparov playing the queen's gambit exchange but not the ruy exchange!

Anyway, i agree both 1. d4 and 1. e4 need lots of work,  it all depends on how far you are willing to go for the advantage. If you play 1. e4 the general consensus is that 3. Nc3 is strongest theoretically against the French, and 7. Qg4 main lines are White's only try for the advantage against the Winawer. That is alot of work. No less than preparing 5. Bg5 against the semi slav. 

By the way, I don't buy your strange argument about excluding open sicilians. If you do that, why can't you include the Tromp in the 1. d4 calculus?? The Tromp is no less effective than any anti-sicilian you can think of   Angry

You can also consider that the Opening for White According to Kramnik series is smaller than Opening for White According to Anand...  Grin

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #21 - 05/15/05 at 19:25:37
Post Tools
Quote:
On the contrary I think 1. e4 is more work than 1. d4. The Queen's Gambit is much less to study than its 1. e4 equivalent: the ruy lopez and petroff. Just on the third move of the ruy alone, white needs to know what to do against the berlin, schliemann, classcal! Not to mention the open ruy, marshall, archangel, moller, etc. Most of which necessitate a different scheme of development. There does not exist strong but less theoretical options like the queen's gambit exchange, or 5. Bf4.

Another problem with 1. e4 is that White's advantage tends to dissipate very quickly with one or two inaccurate moves. While with 1. d4 White's space advantage seems to be more lasting, notwithstanding white making a couple of inaccuracies in the opening.

Well, you are slightly fast and loose with the facts, my friend.  d4 players get to play the exchange QGD but e4 players don't get to play the exchange Ruy or the Bishop's Opening?   The exchange Ruy can be quite effective at club level.

I'm no expert on the various QGD variations but does one really want to play the exchange (or some other short-cut line) against all of them?  If you don't, you must admit there are a lot of QGD variations.

Just a basic count:

e4: e5, CK, Sicilian, Pirc, Scandy, French and Alekhine

d4: QGD, QGA, Benoni, Benko, KID, Nimzo/QID, Grunfeld, Slav, Semi-Slav, Chigorin, Budapest...

What did I leave out?

I am probably being a little fast and loose myself  Grin  but I have asked this very question to a number of players (club players and masters) and the answer usually was d4 is more work.  Again, if you are playing open Sicilian the work load does increase significantly for e4.

The bottom line is both demand considerable work.

I also think that, in general, d4 is still more positional and e4 more tactical and thus, as you wrote, e4 players can lose their advantage quickly.  However, on the flip side, doesn't this mean that d4 players will often have to find more subtle ways to win and have very good technique to do so?  Technique that can be out of reach of most club players.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #20 - 05/15/05 at 18:28:10
Post Tools
On the contrary I think 1. e4 is more work than 1. d4. The Queen's Gambit is much less to study than its 1. e4 equivalent: the ruy lopez and petroff. Just on the third move of the ruy alone, white needs to know what to do against the berlin, schliemann, classcal! Not to mention the open ruy, marshall, archangel, moller, etc. Most of which necessitate a different scheme of development. There does not exist strong but less theoretical options like the queen's gambit exchange, or 5. Bf4.

Another problem with 1. e4 is that White's advantage tends to dissipate very quickly with one or two inaccurate moves. While with 1. d4 White's space advantage seems to be more lasting, notwithstanding white making a couple of inaccuracies in the opening.

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #19 - 05/15/05 at 16:49:29
Post Tools
It seems to me that d4 (I mean the Queen's Gambit not the Tromp, etc.,) requires much more work then e4.   That is as long as you don't play the open Sicilian.   There are simply more defenses to the Queen's Gambit then 1.e4.  Of course, club players really shouldn't worry about openings the way we do.   Some of us still can't help ourselves.  Grin

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/03/05 at 23:33:37
Post Tools
I would fear the King's Indian more than the sicilian but i see your point. I also play e4 in the QGA and i love the viloence. Kasparov is very mean in the QG and i used him as my inspiration. I am stuck though. Ive spent alot of time against the sicilian and what not i dont know if i want to give it up and this isnt jsut after the last post ive been arguing over it with my self for months. So i guess tournement practice will be the only way to tell. 1 with e4 and one with d4.

IP Logged

volvo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 05/03/05 at 23:20:58
Post Tools
to quote John Nunn from Understanding Chess: Move by Move
"1 d4  This is one of the two most common first moves, the other being 1 e4. The view is sometimes expressed that 1 d4 is a more positional move than 1 e4. Actually I can't see much difference. There are many sharp openings after 1 d4, just as there are many quiet openings resulting from 1 e4."

When I read this it made such sense to me. I had been playing 1. e4 for six months after switching from 1 d4... I enjoyed the more active piece play I was getting but started thinking that  maybe I had just simply chosen boring lines with 1 d4. Now i'm back to 1 d4 and it feels right. I have started playing more active continuations like 4 f3 Nimzo, 3 e4 against QGA and so on. I think aggressive d4 players have the advantage of being less common that aggressive 1 e4 players... I could be wrong  but that's my feeling.

I never have to play against the french, caro cann, scandinavian, petrof or the sicialian ever again so I'm happy!

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/03/05 at 23:04:37
Post Tools
I like playing a reverse dutch! the only thing you have to worry about is froms gambit!

Somthing i enjoy playing and is perfectly viable is Larsens Opening 1. b3! its a flexible system and not at all a passive one. Fischer was a practioner of this opening a few times and as far as ive seen never lost with it.

The opening on the flank or in the center is what you make it. Depending on your mood. For instance i play a spanish. If i am feeling tired i wont play main line! I will play a less theoretical quiet variation on with d3 early. This is a quiet system which requires less calculation than say a main line with all the crazy tactics.

If im feeling really positional ill play 1.Nf3

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #15 - 05/02/05 at 21:21:43
Post Tools
Nobody has suggested 1 f4, and likely with good reason, but let me try to make a pitch.  It is a viable opening, rich in diverse possibilities, and short on published analysis.  This is a particular advantage in correspondence chess, where your opponents will have access to databases, books, and articles.  Moreover, if you run through a half dozen or so games in a database, one rapidly comes to the conclusion that many of its practitioners don't handle the Bird particularly well.  Another advantage here is that there is room for innovation and creative play, while also unsettling your opponent and preventing him/her from lashing out with some pet variation of the Sicilian, Nimzo, or what have you.

I've enjoyed some success with the Bird, but have yet to get under its skin.  I've been trying variations involving 1 f4, 2 d3, and 3 g3, before committing my knight to f3.  I can't report much of an advantage out of the opening, but I'm certainly not worse, and there are interesting possibilities for complications, not to mention some fascinating struggles for control of the middle of the board.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/05 at 19:12:17
Post Tools
Well i work at a store called target in the USA and i was noticing the vending machine. On e4 it had a snickers while on d4 it had tums! so clearley e4 is better than ints counter part.

But seriously i think that the questiong is a good one would you rather face a Sicilian or a Nimzo. I think personaly the nimzo looks pretty strange for black if white plays a classical main line with Qc2. In the sicilian its harder to keep up cause of the ever changing ideas but if you were to say play a Grand prix or other closed sicilian then you would side step alot of theory and if you played the kosten system you would really shock the black players.

In the end personal taste. I love the tactics that come after e4 and i will play that for most of my chess life. I still play 1.d4 or even 1.b3 if i am feeling posistional. Of course at the lecel im at it doesnt really matter some times you think the masters and experts have it good with the bigger prize fund but they also have to worry about knowing the latest 22nd move in the najdorf  Wink so if your an amature play what your heart says to play. I must admit even though i love e4 i am falling in love with the catalan. Cheesy

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #13 - 04/27/05 at 10:13:59
Post Tools
"This way you get 1. e4-type positions, without all the double-e-pawn variations"
Alas, 1.Nc3 Nf6! gives White not a very nice choice:
2.d4 d5 is Veresov.
2.e4 e5 is Vienna, a rather innocent double e-pawn opening.
2.f4 d5 is the Bird Opening.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

elspringer

Reply #12 - 04/27/05 at 07:38:01
Post Tools
Perhaps you should consider 1. Nc3.
This way you get 1. e4-type positions, without all the double-e-pawn variations (except the Philidor, but that's not the reply that keeps you awake at night, right ,) and with most of the sicilians thrown out and reaching the 'standard' line at move 8 or 9 in the remaining ones...

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #11 - 04/17/05 at 11:07:40
Post Tools
I am facing a very similar problem with designing a complete repertoire.  I don't think the best solution is strictly following a narrow repertoire, as inevitably there will be certain positions that will not be appropriate in specific playing conditions.  I am beginning to think of the development of my repertoire in terms of several systems that are each appropriate to different circumstances or types of opponent.  For me, it difficult to narrow myself to one mode of opening systems, as a I have a broad interest.  (From your postal play, it seems that you have a broad interest also.)  Here's an example of a framework of systems I have considered.  You could think of each system as like a "gear" of a car, where lower gears are appropriate for lower speeds and higher gears for higher speeds.  (Though don't draw too many conclusions from the comparsion!  Smiley  )

Gear 1:
White:  (1.d4) Trompovsky (a Prie style repertoire)
Black:  Scandinavian, a6 Slav
Here each opening has a stylistic and structural similarity, and is efficient from the perspective of preparation and energy exerted over the board.  Of course, there are several drawbacks to playing this exclusively.  In some lines it might be difficult to beat weaker players, and against stronger players there are likely to be some "holes" in preparation due the improvisational nature of the openings.  I think this should be viewed as a back-up weapon that combines solidity with a small element of surpise.

Gear 2:
White:  (1.e4)  Rublevsky style; i.e. many of the lines Collins recommends his repertoire book (c3 Sicilian, Scotch, Panov-Botvinnik, Advance French)
Black:  Alekhine, Dutch Systems
In my opinion, the white repertoire is forceful from the white perspective and is excellent for efficiently beating weaker opposition.  The black systems are more ambitious than Gear 1, and likely offer better winning chances against weaker opposition.  In this system, it is very important to develop your own theory (especially as black).

The Gear 2 black openings carry a degree of risk, so it is good to a have a solid backup with the Gear 1 openings.  The Gear 2 white openings sometimes have the drawback of being too forceful, so it is sometimes good to have a system that is more improvisational to generate winning chances against well-prepared opposition.

"Higher gear" opening systems (i.e. main line openings) may be developed with postal play and independent analysis, and may at some point be used interchangeably with the lower gears:

Gear 3:
White: 1.d4 (Positional, Palliser style as in "Play d4")
Black:  Najdorf, Nimzo, QID
The white systems can be adopted at an early stage with Gear 1, especially against 1...d5.

Gear 4:
White: 1.e4 (main line, as in the Anand repertoire by Khalifman)
Black:  Scheveningen Najdorf, KID, Benoni

Gear 3 complements Gear 1, and Gear 4 complements Gear 2.

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #10 - 04/17/05 at 01:10:12
Post Tools
I'm not so sure the comparisons are that relevant. Chess is a complex game and even small differences can make huge differences.

The first comparison (Nimzo/Sicilian) was more of the two openings that had the best reputation.

I think it's about time (rating wise) I have a proper repertoire that I can use for years to come without changing it too much too often. The problem is that I don't have much to fall back on. My e4 days wasn't good theoretically. Changing the first move as white requires a lot of work. It'll probably take a long time before I'm ready to play the new repertoire OTB.

My problem when studying openings is that I very easily get discouraged. If I see a line that I'm not comfortable with and can't work out a fix easily I often start looking at a completely different variation.

Yesterday I looked at many Rublevsky games. He seems to have a rather narrow e4 repertoire which I thought I could copy. While many of the games were fantastic, I got a bit discouraged by some lines.

So started to look at 1.d4 again. It seems that the exchange variation with Nge2 in the QGD gives the best chances. The amount of theory seems not too big. I then have to play the Nimzo instead of QI, so I had a look at Qc2. At the moment I'm okay with this. If you wait a week or two I'm probably back at studying 1.e4.

Several of my team mates thinks I'm a d4-player, by the way.

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #9 - 04/15/05 at 08:33:13
Post Tools
Yeah, the more comparisons I see the more I want to play 1.d4!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #8 - 04/15/05 at 07:44:38
Post Tools
If you're gonna compare like that, there are some others:
Slav- Caro Kann(similar black set-up)
French-Nimzo (I find the black play often similar, blocked positions, Bb4 and often play on the same centre fields)
KI-Pirc (similar black set-up)
Dutch-classical sicilian (not sure what to compare with the dutch, so just based on flexibility)
Benoni-dragon (pressure by the Bg7 bishop, while being vulnerable on the kingside)
Scandi-Budapest (open center, with little space advantage for white)
Petrov-Old indian/stonewall/Czech benoni?

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #7 - 04/15/05 at 06:21:07
Post Tools
hello king, i'm glad the comparison helped!

Here are some others for your consideration, which opening would you rather face as white? :

Albin Countergambit = Scandinavian (the 2... Nf6 type)

Grunfeld = Sveshnikov sicilian (for the obssesive black focus on piece activity, and the amount of theory) 

Benko = Accelerated Dragon (for Black's solid position and his annoying dark squared bishop)

Tromp/Torre= anti sicilians. I like the Tromp more than any anti-sicilian Smiley

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #6 - 04/15/05 at 05:39:09
Post Tools
The last post by Inn2 was so obvious (when you see it) yet so brilliant!

I have played 1.e4 all my chess career (13 Years).  Recently I had been thinking of switching to 1.d4 but couldn't really make up my mind - it seemed like a lot of work.

Then after reading Inn2's idea of deciding which you would rather face the Nimzo or Siciilain, QGD or the Spanish etc it all became obvious!

To quote Inn2 "for me 1. d4 is a no-brainer choice"

Thanks Inn2

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 04/13/05 at 14:23:55
Post Tools
If your concern is the "drawish" theoretical lines, I would go for e4. You tend to meet 1 .. e5 a lot less when the rating rises as most black players dont like to run into "pet" openings like the king's gambit and some openings where it is hard to grab the initiative like the 4 knights and scotch. A lot of the players in my club would love to play a Berlin or closed Spanish with black, but dont play e5 for that reason.

If you're worried about the berlin, just play the scotch and play d4 against the Petrov.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/05 at 12:09:50
Post Tools
MNb: Yes, Najdorf and Sveshnikov are very difficult. Well, I'd probably go 3.Lb5 in the sicilian. (I succesfully tried 2.c3 in CC.) Maybe I try 3.d4 vs 2...e6. I'd probably play 3.Nf3 avoiding the Nimzo.

One of my concerns are the solid lines (QGD, Petroff, Berlin). I'm not really used to long theoretical drawish lines.

It's difficult to say anything general about the sicilian. It's not one opening. The Nimzo is a very hard nut to crack. It would be very nice to get something like 4.a3 or 4.f3 to work.

QGD: I've followed the development of the Bf4-line. Still, advantages are often very small as they seem to be in the Bg5 main lines.

Semi Slav: Also difficult. I tried the Meran in CC with one nice win and a horrible loss.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/05 at 11:11:33
Post Tools
When considering picking up 1. d4, you should ask yourself two questions:

1) what to do against the nimzo
2) what to do against 1. d4 d5 (especially QGD and slav/semi-slav).

If you prefer facing the nimzo to the sicilian I guess 1. d4 is a better choice? i find this comparison apt, because the nimzo is somewhat like the sicilian... in that black has an extremely sound position and yet can play for a win.

The other comparison is: do you prefer to face the QGD and slav/semislav, or face the Petroff and Berlin Ruy?

for me 1. d4 is a no-brainer choice.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 04/12/05 at 05:54:20
Post Tools
When considering picking up 1.e4 you should aks yourself two questions first:
1. What to do against the Svesjnikov?
2. What to do against the Petrov?

The third question must be:
3. What to do against the Najdorf?

These Black defences are at the moment the hardest to crack.

I do not know what you played against the Symmetrical English, but in case you choose 1.d4 I want to mention the transposition 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 or 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c5 4.Nf3, so you might already have something against the Benoni.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/12/05 at 04:42:58
Post Tools
Maybe I should add that I'm not looking for quick fixes. I want reliable lines that I can play both in OTB and CC games. I don't mind studying theory. (I haven't studied much opening theory but I'm willing to change.) My OTB rating is 2070 and CC rating is probably 2300.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

1.e4 or 1.d4?
04/12/05 at 04:24:56
Post Tools
I'm currently playing 1.c4 in OTB chess (using Kosten's book). I'm thinking about switching to 1.e4 or 1.d4 instead. Which should I choose?

Perhaps it would help if I've list what I've played over the years.

Black against 1.e4
OTB: Alekhine, Sveshnikov, Caro Kann (briefly), Alekhine.
CC: French, Sveshnikov

I don't trust the Alekhine completely but I like the dynamic positions that often arise. I'm thinking of taking up Najdorf in CC games using the recent book by Arizmendo & Moreno.

Black against 1.d4
OTB: Stonewall, Vulture, Stonewall, Slav, Leningrad Dutch.
CC: Leningrad Dutch.

I have good results in the Leningrad Dutch. I might try the KID in forthcoming games (using Gallagher's recent book.)

White:
OTB: Larsen, e4 and English
CC: Nf3 (like Kramnik), English and e4.

So, I've never really played the Ruy Lopez or Queen's gambit. In OTB chess I played the King's gambit and in a recent CC game I tried the Scotch.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo