Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tarrasch Defence (Read 33016 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Tarrasch Defence
Reply #22 - 10/01/07 at 20:43:02
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 10/01/07 at 11:57:16:
So to summarize:
The QG is better than the Tarrasch,but the Tarrasch Defense gives black more chances to win at the level until 2300?

That is also what I used to think, but now my opinion is that there are some good defences after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 which still allow Black to play for a win. Examples are the Tartakower and the Swiss Variation 7.Rc1 a6.
Basically I think your first question wrong. What I do is finding out, what White's best options are and if I enjoy playing them as Black.
If you want objectivity, then you choice should be Nimzo-Indian combined with Queen's Indian. If you want to allow some subjectivity (ie I like this but I don't like that) then in the end you must decide for yourself.
Neither do I like strong terms like "refutation." I don't even think the Budapest in refuted. Like Tsjigorin already said: what is refuted today is considered best tomorrow. The Tarrasch might be excellent for you, who knows? Still you should start with those ..... games.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #21 - 10/01/07 at 16:00:42
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 10/01/07 at 15:31:35:
Obviously in either case, Black will almost always play ...Nf6 eventually, so not having the chance to play this precisely on move three is hardly a condemnation of Black's system.

I used to assume that after 1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 c5 3. dc e6 4. e4 Bxc5 5. Bb5+ Nc6 6. ed ed 7. 0-0 Black should put his knight on e7.  But some time ago on this board someone advocated 7...Nf6, and I was unable to find anything special for White.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #20 - 10/01/07 at 15:49:34
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 09/30/07 at 08:38:40:
Well,I dont want to waste time for an opening which has a refutation.
I played the Buderpester Gambit for a long time and thought that this opening is good for black.After about 5 years I recognized that there is a line where white is simply better.
So I wasted a long time for a bad opening.
Now I am trying to play a new,solid opening without any refutation.
I concentrated my attention to the Queensgambit and the Tarrasch Defence.
Now I am trying to find out ,whether the Tarrasch System is a solid Defence.
But I dont want to play it  to recognize again after many years ,that I wasted time for a bad opening.
So I just want to know,wheter this opening has a refutation , is awkward to play or maybe there are other reasons why no GM has this opening in his/her repertoire?

No, there is no refutation of the Tarrasch.  It's also fair to say that, contrary to what someone said here, there is no standard kingside attack if White plays Schlecter's g3, which these days has become pretty universal.  True enough, there are some lines where Black attacks the kingside, but more often he doesn't.  It does lurk as a possiblility if White plays badly, of course.  Spassky came up with the idea of ...h5, ...h4, ...hxg6, after ...0-0 no less, as a way of weakening White's castled position, but this was not conceived as a standard, direct king attack but as a "Watch out, since I might attack you" kind of thing.

With the Tarrasch, White has his strucural advantages; Black has his active peices; and it's a game of chess.  Personally I prefer Black's chances in the Tarrasch to those in the Budapest, but that point is quite debatable.  I do believe that for young and improving players, the Tarrasch better contributes to the chess education.

The best modern source on this defense is Meeting 1.d4 by Jacob Aagaard.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #19 - 10/01/07 at 15:31:35
Post Tools
Holbox wrote on 10/01/07 at 12:14:35:
I would just add what I think is weak point in the Tarrash. If you play the Tarrasch as your main weapon against the Queen's Gambit, and White delays c4 just one move: 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3, if you want  to play the Tarrasch you have to play 2...e6, 2...,Nf6 doesn't work, but 2...Nf6 is the strongest move to fight against d-pawn openings.

Well, whether the early ...c5 is better than the early ...Nf6, typically on the third move after 1.d4 d5  2.c4 e6 3.Nc3, is precisely what Tarrasch was debating when he promulgated his defense.  So to say that the Tarrasch is weak because it foregoes 3...Nf6 is rather like saying it's weak because it incurs an isolated queen pawn.  The fact is true but the conclusion isn't, necessarily.  (Tarrasch called 3...Nf6 the "Orthodox," although today that has come to mean something more specific.)

These days, of course, it's not a question of which move is better, but which better suits one's game.  All right, 3...Nf6 would probably be chosen if the survival of Planet Earth depended on it, but there are reasons for playing the Tarrasch.

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 is by no means an inconvenience to a Tarrasch practioner; he just plays 2...c5 and White has nothing better than 3.c4, after which 3...e6 is a Tarrasch.  There is no special harm either in playing 2...e6.  Obviously in either case, Black will almost always play ...Nf6 eventually, so not having the chance to play this precisely on move three is hardly a condemnation of Black's system.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #18 - 10/01/07 at 15:20:32
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 10/01/07 at 14:52:55:
1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. c4 e6 4. Nc3 c5 5. cd ed?! runs into 6. Bg5.

A Tarrasch player might also play 1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 c5, since 3. dc e6 4. e4 Bxc5 is quite decent (and Tarrasch-like) for Black.

Speaking of German, there is a Tarrasch book in that language by FM Harald Keilhack which John Watson thinks is excellent. 

Yeah, although that Keilhack work is rather out-of-date.  Also it's not so easy for a non-German-speaker to read, since it seems to use a lot of idiomatic expressions.  Far from your usual chess German, anyway.

Right too, Black's ...Nf6 before White is committed either to g3 or e3 is not supposed to be good in the Tarrasch, because White plays Bg5 followed by e4.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #17 - 10/01/07 at 14:52:55
Post Tools
1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. c4 e6 4. Nc3 c5 5. cd ed?! runs into 6. Bg5.

A Tarrasch player might also play 1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 c5, since 3. dc e6 4. e4 Bxc5 is quite decent (and Tarrasch-like) for Black.

Speaking of German, there is a Tarrasch book in that language by FM Harald Keilhack which John Watson thinks is excellent.  

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 10/01/07 at 14:06:17
Post Tools
But after 2...Nf6 you will get the Semi-Tarrasch ,if white delays c4.
And you can get to the normal Tarrasch System ,too .(by capturing on d5 with the pawn instead of the Night!)
So in my view it has no matter whether you play 2...Nf6 and than e6 or the other way round.
But still i dont know ,whether i can trust this opening.
Maybe I should just start to play the QG?

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #15 - 10/01/07 at 12:14:35
Post Tools
I would just add what I think is weak point in the Tarrash. If you play the Tarrasch as your main weapon against the Queen's Gambit, and White delays c4 just one move: 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3, if you want  to play the Tarrasch you have to play 2...e6, 2...,Nf6 doesn't work, but 2...Nf6 is the strongest move to fight against d-pawn openings.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 10/01/07 at 11:57:16
Post Tools
So to summarize:
The QG is better than the Tarrasch,but the Tarrasch Defense gives black more chances to win at the level until 2300?

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #13 - 10/01/07 at 07:59:41
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 09/30/07 at 18:29:34:
Thanks for your advice.
I play at the level of 2000 DWZ =about 2100Elo.
I think also that the Tarrasch Defence is a quite good opening to play for a win.So there is no forced line where white is better and black has no chance for a win?

There is no forced win that I am aware of Wink

Seriously, I have dabbled with it and concur that Mnb has a point. The lines Karpov played are the hardest to face. When I faced those I had great difficulty untangling and an experienced d4 player will keep you under pressure the whole game. However opposed to say the Budapest the play is more complex, so even though you are under pressure you have chances. Also the Tarrasch gambit is worse for black than most (black) books let on.

With this in mind there are some things which could make the Tarrasch interesting for you:
-Endgames. You will get a lot of endgames. So it will automatically improve that department.
-Isolani. You will get to play with it a lot and the main task is to get your pieces active to be able to transform that damn pawn into a strength. A good white will make you suffer especially there, but unless they are named Anatoli you will have chances to generate that activity.
-Safety net. Even when you lose the isolani you can often hold the resulting  endgames.
-Most non-main lines give equality.
-It is usable against 1.c4, the catalan and other stuff as well.
-Understanding this opening helps with the QGD where the move c5 has the same pros and cons, but far less pronounced.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 09/30/07 at 21:52:08
Post Tools
Hello MNb and Udav:

I hear what you are saying MNb but wouldn't theory have come up with improvements for Black in the meantime?

I am only 1950 but I cannot remember ever seeing a player rated higher than me playing the Budapest. Better players can chip in here and tell you but I couldn't imagine the Budapest and the Tarrasch being included in the same category!

Nevertheless, there are lines where it is a challenge to play with the Isolani and Black has to be resourceful.

Take care,

Gerry

Udav18 wrote on 09/30/07 at 08:38:40:
Well,I dont want to waste time for an opening which has a refutation.
I played the Buderpester Gambit for a long time and thought that this opening is good for black.After about 5 years I recognized that there is a line where white is simply better.
So I wasted a long time for a bad opening.
Now I am trying to play a new,solid opening without any refutation.
I concentrated my attention to the Queensgambit and the Tarrasch Defence.
Now I am trying to find out ,whether the Tarrasch System is a solid Defence.
But I dont want to play it  to recognize again after many years ,that I wasted time for a bad opening.
So I just want to know,wheter this opening has a refutation , is awkward to play or maybe there are other reasons why no GM has this opening in his/her repertoire?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 09/30/07 at 21:16:40
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 09/30/07 at 18:29:34:
Thanks for your advice.
I think also that the Tarrasch Defence is a quite good opening to play for a win.So there is no forced line where white is better and black has no chance for a win?

Have you already played through those two Karpov-Kasparov games? You see, Karpov was WCh back then and an expert on demolishing slightly inferior openings. If there is a forced line where white is better and black has no chance for a win then Karpov played it.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Deepthought
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/30/07 at 18:36:57
Post Tools
could be helpful to you, if you know german Smiley

http://www.schachmatt.de/30113-post5.html

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 09/30/07 at 18:29:34
Post Tools
Thanks for your advice.

IP Logged

Deepthought
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/30/07 at 10:45:07
Post Tools
What  do you want?
Something solid or something dynamic?

If you want something solid and really sound to play for a win, chose the combination of NID/QID/Catalan (Opening Repertoire for black, acc. to Karpov has a complete repertoire on this combination), no exchange and you can outplay the opponent strategically in the long run.

Normal QG is also sound, but a bit drawish.

But the Tarrasch is not so bad either, there are GM's winning with this opening (against other GM's),
... it may not be fully sound, but also a good a very good try to imbalance the position ...
I think it should be a very good opening in the sub 2200-2300 level ...
if Players like Kasparov and Grischuk did play the opening it shouldn't be too bad ...

Also something, you should take care of with the tarrasch you have one opening against 1.d4 and 1.c4 ... it is quite practically ...

Also you should ask yourself if complete soundness of the opening does really matter to you,
I think you would have more winning chances on the amateur level with this opening than with QID or Catalan ... or Slav, or whatever *sound* opening ... you always have to give something as black, if you want to imbalance the position to get winning chances ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo