Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tarrasch Defence (Read 33017 times)
Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Re: Tarrasch Defence
Reply #37 - 11/25/07 at 17:59:42
Post Tools
Greetings,

In my copy of Samarian's Queen's Gambit Declined (Batsford, 1974), he indicates that - before the discovery of the Schlechter-Rubinstein Attack - 6. Bf4 was considered the strongest of the other possibilities (Marshall's 6. Bg5 is equal at best).

See Tal-Keres, XXVI USSR Ch. 1959 for a sample line - I'd imagine that there should be lots of valuable analyses/annotations since then!

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #36 - 11/25/07 at 16:39:14
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 11/25/07 at 16:14:33:
I used to give Marshall's 6.Bg5 an occasional try, mainly in those early morning rounds when my brain wasn't yet working.  It's not a bad line and avoids a lot of the theory.  But if Black knows what he is about, it's hard for White to get much.

A main line used to be 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5.Nf3 Nc6 6.Bg5 Be7 7.Bxe7 Ngxe7 8.e3 cxd4 9.Nxd4 O-O 10.Be2 Qb6 11.Qd2 Nxd4 12. exd4.  White can try and grind a little here on the theory that he has the better bishop (his can attack d5, while Black's can't attack d4), but its hard to make any real progress and, if you play this way consistently, you run the risk of boring yourself to death.

Indeed I remember Raymond Keene (in a 1. d4 repertoire book from "long ago") writing that "White has a distinct pull" in perhaps that exact position, though after giving the line a try (and reaching that or some similar "duelling IQPs" position), my impression of White's chances was less rosy.  Surely 5./6. Bg5 is an excellent choice for keeping the draw in hand, though.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #35 - 11/25/07 at 16:14:33
Post Tools
I used to give Marshall's 6.Bg5 an occasional try, mainly in those early morning rounds when my brain wasn't yet working.  It's not a bad line and avoids a lot of the theory.  But if Black knows what he is about, it's hard for White to get much.

A main line used to be 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5.Nf3 Nc6 6.Bg5 Be7 7.Bxe7 Ngxe7 8.e3 cxd4 9.Nxd4 O-O 10.Be2 Qb6 11.Qd2 Nxd4 12. exd4.  White can try and grind a little here on the theory that he has the better bishop (his can attack d5, while Black's can't attack d4), but its hard to make any real progress and, if you play this way consistently, you run the risk of boring yourself to death.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #34 - 11/25/07 at 02:36:09
Post Tools
Hi, what does everyone think of plans where White doesn't fianchetto?
I'm thinking of lines like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 c5 4. cxd5 ed5 5. Bg5, or Radjabov's 3. Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. Bf4. Any good for White?

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #33 - 11/24/07 at 04:38:56
Post Tools
Greetings,

Markovich
Nimzowitsch would have turned in his grave to see the d-pawn allowed to advance like that!

Certainly she knew what she was doing - the times on the clock clearly indicate that (1:27 - 0:17 (!!)).

Udav18
As others have picked up, I think you are talking about "sound" when you mistakenly(!?) say "solid".

One might say that, of the two, the Semi-Tarrasch is more "solid" provided the centre doesn't fall into White's hands. Both, certainly, are "sound" against equal or lesser opposition. Against World Champions, any opening would be made to look/feel unsound!  Wink

As with any opening, it depends on who knows and understands more about the underlying strategies, the (thematic) tactical traps and possibilities, and so on.

As with any openings with such unbalanced-equilibrium based on piece-play compensation for positional weaknesses - such as the Lasker-Pelikan-Sveshnikov - if you don't manage to use your pieces actively, you'll be left with being tied-down to defending the pawn weakness.

Do you prefer open positions where you can use your pieces in preference to concerning yourself with weak pawn structures? Do you play such positions well? These must be your criteria for taking up this opening - not whether the current top GMs or World Champions are using it. Tournament and club players continue to follow the trends of the masters long after such masters have changed their repertoires. New rising stars have their own favourite openings - not necessarily the ones the rest of us fancy!  Wink

As has also been noted, the standard positions can arise from the Reti, Catalan and English openings.

You need to know - and be comfortable with - the IQP.

As you are a ~2100 player, I'd heartily recommend Baburin's book on this (Winning Pawn Structures) - assuming you're not averse to hard work, it will teach you a great deal about this important theme in chess, both as a advantage (as "point" for a attacking springboard) and a disadvantage (how to attack it and tie the opponent down to defending it).

Any earlier books on this theme may well also be of help - Nimzowitsch's opus comes to mind, though certain of its strategic solutions may well be out-of-step, if not out-of-date, with modern thinking on the IQP.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #32 - 11/15/07 at 18:17:04
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 11/15/07 at 16:23:10:
Alias,

It's off-topic, but I score quite well as Black against the Exchange Slav.  If you take a look at the stats, most of the draws occur when players agree to a draw within the first 20 moves.  If either side wants to play for a win (by avoiding trading Bishops, for example), then there are many interesting positions.  I relish playing the Black side of the Exchange Slav. I'm in my element in the positions that arise from that opening. 

Bringing the discussion back to the Tarrasch, both openings require Black to have the will to win, but the ideas behind the Tarrasch are so well known by now that it requires White to sail close to the wind to allow Black any serious winning chances against a strong opponent.

No doubt you also relish the queen exchange variation of the Petroff, so rich in possibilities for Black.

I disagree with your second statement as well.  Oh all right, I will agree, if your definition of "strong opponent" is someone who is bound to play the good moves against the Tarrasch.  But if their aren't strong opponents who sometimes play weakly against the Tarrasch, how did my student demolish FM John Bick so handily in her game against him at the U.S. Open (which appears in the current issue of Chess Life, by the way)?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #31 - 11/15/07 at 16:23:10
Post Tools
Alias,

It's off-topic, but I score quite well as Black against the Exchange Slav.  If you take a look at the stats, most of the draws occur when players agree to a draw within the first 20 moves.  If either side wants to play for a win (by avoiding trading Bishops, for example), then there are many interesting positions.  I relish playing the Black side of the Exchange Slav. I'm in my element in the positions that arise from that opening. 

Bringing the discussion back to the Tarrasch, both openings require Black to have the will to win, but the ideas behind the Tarrasch are so well known by now that it requires White to sail close to the wind to allow Black any serious winning chances against a strong opponent.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #30 - 11/15/07 at 08:53:30
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 11/15/07 at 02:59:48:
Having lost at least one game to a lower rated player ( Lips Sealed) as White in the Tarrasch, I heartily recommend everyone to stop playing it as Black!

The Tarrasch is not a good opening to play against a strong opponent who is comfortable with a draw.  However, if you know that White is willing to play an uncompromising game then the Tarrasch is an excellent weapon in which every result is possible!  The only real problem I have with the Tarrasch as Black is that Black's counterplay depends largely on White's ambition.  This, by the way, is also my main problem with playing the Caro-Kann as Black.

But you do play the slav, right? No problem there with the exchange variation?

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #29 - 11/15/07 at 02:59:48
Post Tools
Having lost at least one game to a lower rated player ( Lips Sealed) as White in the Tarrasch, I heartily recommend everyone to stop playing it as Black!

The Tarrasch is not a good opening to play against a strong opponent who is comfortable with a draw.  However, if you know that White is willing to play an uncompromising game then the Tarrasch is an excellent weapon in which every result is possible!  The only real problem I have with the Tarrasch as Black is that Black's counterplay depends largely on White's ambition.  This, by the way, is also my main problem with playing the Caro-Kann as Black.

IP Logged

kalle99

They say I have Aspbergers
syndrome.

Reply #28 - 11/14/07 at 23:06:17
Post Tools
Ari Ziegler has written a small book titled "Tarrasch garden" (Swedish language). He says in his foreword, something like :

"Tarrasch worked very fine for me and gave me a lot of pleasure but it was very difficult to defeat strong oponents.
My requirement for playing an opening is that I ,from time to time , should defeat a player  1-200 rating points higher than me....that never happened with the Tarrasch."

Jacob Aaagard has written a repertoire book with Tarrasch as the main weapon against 1.d4. Eric Schiller has written a rather good book also (one of his few good books). One good thing is that you can play it against english,1.Nf3 and against the catalan !

"I Often see in chess forums people asking : " What is the current status of that line ?"&&&&Its a good reasonable question,but who can claim that he knows the answer ?!&&&&Semko Semkov Januari 2008

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #27 - 11/08/07 at 00:00:28
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 09/30/07 at 08:38:40:
Well,I dont want to waste time for an opening which has a refutation.
I played the Buderpester Gambit for a long time and thought that this opening is good for black.After about 5 years I recognized that there is a line where white is simply better.
So I wasted a long time for a bad opening.
Now I am trying to play a new,solid opening without any refutation.
I concentrated my attention to the Queensgambit and the Tarrasch Defence.
Now I am trying to find out ,whether the Tarrasch System is a solid Defence.
But I dont want to play it  to recognize again after many years ,that I wasted time for a bad opening.
So I just want to know,wheter this opening has a refutation , is awkward to play or maybe there are other reasons why no GM has this opening in his/her repertoire?

Clearly there is no refutation for the Tarrasch Defence.  You need not worry about that. It is irrelevant whether Kasporov give it up or not or if any other 2600+ play it for that matter. It if a fully playable defence at sub elite levels where Black has dynamic compensation for his structural weaknesses. Dynamic compensation does not necessarily mean a direct K-side attack. It can simply mean active piece play that will create tactical opportunities in other areas of the board.

But your question is that you would like to find a solid defence. The emphasis on solid is yours. Clearly the Tarrasch is not a solid defence. Playable, yes, solid no.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Paul123

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #26 - 11/07/07 at 21:06:46
Post Tools
I  play the Tarrasch and I think it’s good defense.  Few if any, will play IQP position like Karpov against you.   If you look at Kasparov’s record with it, he basically lost two games with it (against Karpov) and played it again after those losses. (Although briefly…yes)

I think Kasparov quit playing the Tarrasch because Karpov was better at playing IQP position than him.  The soundness of the actual opening probably had little do to with Kasparov not continuing to use it. (Karpov manhandled Kaspy’s Grunfeld at least a couple of times, yet he continued to play it…The Grunfeld has been under a cloud of suspicion since….  Schiller (think what you want about his books) who is considered by many an expert with the opening has drawn a couple GM’s using it. (and  has a pretty good score against lesser mortals…) I once talked to him on the Internet and he said most of his opponents now days won’t let him employ the Tarrasch.  (That say’s to me: If you know what you’re doing the opening will perform)

I think you have to have the right style of play to use the Tarrasch to get results …. You have to like IQP positions and play them aggressively and have a willingness to take chances.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #25 - 10/10/07 at 12:55:33
Post Tools
winawer77,

I think Black needs comp to let his d-pawn go, unless perhaps all the queenside pawns are off the board.  But I agree that the terrors of Black's position aren't that great.  Aagaard has a nice section concerning how to defend the worst ending that can arise, which is Black's e6 bishop versus White's d4 knight, and no other pieces.

I wasn't aware of anyone, and least in published sources, claiming that Black has much chance of kingside attack, though it's something that lurks in the background.  More it's just that Black is rather active, and that White has tactical weaknesses on e2 and b2 that can sometimes be exploited (or color issues if he goes e3 or b3 to eliminate these weaknesses).

Black's most amusing games come when he gets ...d4 in.  Here's a nice Tarrasch performance by my chessfriend and former student, WFM Abby Marshall, versus FM John Bick at the latest U.S. Open:

http://www.monroi.com/wdc/flashviewer/watch1.php?round_id=1423&game_id=19976&s_i...

Black knew the themes; White didn't.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #24 - 10/10/07 at 12:18:39
Post Tools
I have also considered playing the Tarrasch, mainly as an alternative to/as well as my main Slav/Semi-Slav lines.

However, I rejected it on the basis that against strong players I will end up defending structural weaknesses with negligible active play in return. I therefore did not consider it viable for long term use.

However, I strongly believe that the Tarrasch's advantages (active play/kingside attack) and disadvantages are both wildly overstated. I shall explain why. Also, I do not believe that the Tarrasch is refuted, or ever will be. Like many openings, I believe that White can get a stable positional plus, and it's just a game of chess.

Firstly, the advantages that books/reputation claim that the Tarrasch offers Black is nowhere near enough for White to be unduly worried. The active play that Black gets is adequate to compensate for his obvious structural weakness (the d-pawn, bear in mind I'm talking about the main lines here), but nothing more. In fact, White usually clamps down on the weak Black queenside and exchanges important pieces with moves such as Na4, Bc5 removing the dark-squared bishops. However, if do not like defending blocked, cramped positions (as in the Classical QG) with your c8 bishop blocked in, then the Tarrasch is a very viable opening.

Secondly, the disadvantages of the Tarrasch are nowhere not exactly life threatening. For example, even if disaster strikes and the isolated d-pawn drops off, White still has a lot of work to do to actually win the game as a 4 v 3 kingside majority may not be decisive, especially in a rook ending.

To summarise - I agree with many posts here, in that Black will get a lot of endgames, although not all of them are favourable. I would not consider the Tarrasch a good opening when playing higher-rated opponents (unless you really know it well) as it gives White exactly what he wants when trying to grind down a weaker player - solid position, structural weakness to attack and can reduce Black's counterplay naturally with minor piece exchanges.
I would play the Tarrasch mainly against weaker or equally rated opponents. But that's just me. Even then I'm not sure I would not fancy my chances of actually winning with it.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #23 - 10/01/07 at 22:20:57
Post Tools
One thing is, I wouldn't want to have the Tarrasch as the only defense (to d4/queenside openings) in my repertoire, lest I end up in a must-win game on the Black side of this kind of position:  1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. cd ed 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. Bg5 Be7 7. Bxe7 Ngxe7 8. e3 0-0 9. dc Qa5 10. Be2 Qxc5 11. 0-0.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo