Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Improve your Chess at Any Age - Andres Hortillosa (Read 53505 times)
Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Re: Improve your Chess at Any Age - Andres Hortillosa
Reply #4 - 01/30/09 at 23:14:52
Post Tools
TN wrote on 01/30/09 at 23:02:04:
Thanks for the information about the author's rating kylemeister.

I tend to agree with you and Markovich. I am quite surprised at Everyman's current choice of authors for their upcoming books, as earlier they used to have mostly GM authors and some IM authors, but not only has the trend been reversed, but now they have untitled authors for several of their upcoming books.

Looking at the ratings of some of their new contributions, maybe I should write a book for Everyman Wink.

Cost cutting??? The world financial crisis hit home at Everyman  Undecided

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #3 - 01/30/09 at 23:08:42
Post Tools
there was a book called 'chess master at any age' OR SOMETHING  like that from thinkers press i think which had some good ideas in it- especially about handlng the clock which i think gaind me a few rating points.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/30/09 at 23:02:04
Post Tools
Thanks for the information about the author's rating kylemeister.

I tend to agree with you and Markovich. I am quite surprised at Everyman's current choice of authors for their upcoming books, as earlier they used to have mostly GM authors and some IM authors, but not only has the trend been reversed, but now they have untitled authors for several of their upcoming books.

Looking at the ratings of some of their new contributions, maybe I should write a book for Everyman Wink.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/30/09 at 22:26:18
Post Tools
It might be mentioned that Mr. Hortillosa had been USCF-rated for many years, e.g. he reached 2101 in 1994.  In the tournament mentioned in the book blurb, his USCF rating went from 1900 to 1962; he has since shed most of that gain.

I had been inclined to take issue with Markovich's "bottom of the barrel" comment, but ...

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Improve your Chess at Any Age - Andres Hortillosa
01/30/09 at 22:09:31
Post Tools
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Improve_Your_Chess_at_Any_Age

Reading the blurb, it seems to me that the book will share some similarities with Yermolinsky's 'The Road to Chess Improvement'.

The book is due for release in October/November 2009.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo