Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New book - Win with the Stonewall Dutch (Read 183364 times)
Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: New book - Win with the Stonewall Dutch
Reply #166 - 02/10/10 at 04:45:12
Post Tools
How do you know this, Amet? Is it out yet? Shocked

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #165 - 02/09/10 at 23:06:55
Post Tools
It seems tha Avrukh in his second volume of Grandmaster repertoire used the Nc3+Qc2+Rb1 system but after ...Ne4 not the new idea with Nxe4 found by Brabo and analysed by both of us in the summer.

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #164 - 01/07/10 at 13:51:06
Post Tools
I've got a reply om my email to Simon Williams and the DVD will be up for sale within the next two - three weeks. It's Classical though.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Albert92

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #163 - 01/07/10 at 07:28:57
Post Tools
Dutch Stonewall (Everyman Chess) by Jacob Aagaard (Paperback - 28 Feb 2001) for £12.74 at Amazon/UK. [/quote]

to me that book helps a lot as i have one copy of it and it tells a lot about the weakness and strong point for black and white.Worth it.

Winning isn't  being first but by doing better than what you did in the past.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #162 - 01/06/10 at 19:57:43
Post Tools
I bought mine in Hastings at the Dutch themed tournament Simon organised to celebrate the release of the DVD.

[As a small aside I happened to be the first ever person to purchase a copy of The Killer Dutch ... such is my level of play that this will probably remain my premier chess achievement in 2010].

Assuming he's managed to fight his way through the snow Simon has probably got back from Hastings now.  I'd try emailing him and asking him if he's mailing them out yet.

Best of luck.

J

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

Göran

Reply #161 - 01/06/10 at 17:40:22
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 01/05/10 at 23:16:23:
linksspringer wrote on 01/04/10 at 23:10:03:
A new DVD about the Classical Dutch by Simon Williams is about to be released:
http://www.gingergm.com/2009/12/03/the-classical-dutch-dvd-promo/

Simon Williams' DVD is now available.

Do you know where it is available? Cannot find how to order on Simon Williams' homepage.
Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #160 - 01/06/10 at 14:10:55
Post Tools
It seems to me that the pawn structure requires less understanding to maintain early on, IMO, in the Stonewall.  The themes are very playable, and Black has a good grip of the center.  The developments are easy to play, just understanding when it is appropriate to enter into which plan, but a bit of study makes that pretty easy.  As a matter of fact, without any Stonewall understanding, I came up with an initial tabiya for Black to try for with the typical c6-d5-e6-f5 pawn structure, KB on d6, KN on f6, 0-0, QN on d7, then b6-Bb7, Qc7, and finally Rae8.  I showed this idea to Nigel Short via Myspace or Facebook, and he said it was in fact a typical plan, except that the queen should instead be on e7, as the opening of the c-file could be harmful to Black.  But the ideas are easy and lucid - Black creates tension upon both the c5 and e5 squares, and has a solid position that White has to contend with.  I think this is pretty easy to play. 
The Classical, on the other hand, is a different critter, and takes more understanding of the themes to play.  Black's counterattack comes swiftly, and the pawns definitely flow towards the kingside.  And playing e5 at the wrong time can be wrong for Black as well.  And me personally, I don't like the early ...Qh5 themes for Black - maybe I don't yet understand them enough myself, but it seems too early.  I think the Classical requires more understanding.  I would like to hear your take on the two positions, if you don't mind - maybe you could give me some ideas to work with!

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #159 - 01/05/10 at 23:16:23
Post Tools
linksspringer wrote on 01/04/10 at 23:10:03:

Simon Williams' DVD is now available.

I'm not at all sure I agree that the Stonewall is easier to learn than the Classical Dutch at lowever levels.  In any event I've not found it so (I play both).  It's a very different kind of game of course.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #158 - 01/05/10 at 21:40:25
Post Tools
Blackburne wrote on 01/05/10 at 14:57:53:
We've looked at the Classical Dutch, but at this level -- about 1500 -- the Classical seems to be more difficult to handle than the Stonewall, since it is fairly easy to teach a few basic patterns in the latter but much more difficult to teach the Classical in the sharp lines where everything explodes in the center.

I think I agree with this comment - the Classical is harder for a beginner Dutch to handle.  The pawns in the beginning can be "loose", and a bad move order can give White a quick advantage.  I remember so many times when I first began learning chess playing the Classical setup (with both White and Black) and accidentally leaving e3 (or e6) en prise.  It took me a while to understand basic themes - allowing White to advance to d5 being not as much of an issue as I previously thought.  With the Stonewall, Black grips the center much stronger, but the opening dynamics are different...not that it is bad, and occasionally I hash out the Stonewall still...but after more time invested in the Dutch, I like the winning chances of the Classical better than the Stonewall - the Stonewall is easier for me to keep a draw in hand, however...I have faired well against much stronger opposition with the Stonewall, thanks to the solid pawns!

IP Logged

Göran

Reply #157 - 01/05/10 at 19:50:18
Post Tools
I have only experince with Boris Schipkov’s DVD and I think they are great.

In the beginning of this thread I got the recommendation to look at the introduction of Aagaard's "dutch stonewall" together with "Winning with the Stonewall". I think that was a good advice that I would like to pass on.

IP Logged

Blackburne
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #156 - 01/05/10 at 14:57:53
Post Tools
Thanks to all for the links to these DVDs!

Do any of you own them? Before I shell out the money, I'd like to have some idea of the coverage and the level at which they're pitched. (The advanced DVDs might be fun for me but not for an 11 year old.)

The repertoire we're looking at is Stonewall against most setups, but Dutch-Indian against a few setups where the Stonewall doesn't work particularly well, e.g. 1.d4 e6 2.c4 f5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 Bb4.

We've looked at the Classical Dutch, but at this level -- about 1500 -- the Classical seems to be more difficult to handle than the Stonewall, since it is fairly easy to teach a few basic patterns in the latter but much more difficult to teach the Classical in the sharp lines where everything explodes in the center.

For a reference point, this student has enjoyed Murray Chandler's "Bashing the Sicilian with 3.Bb5, vol. 1," which seems to me to be pitched at a crowd in the 1500-2000 range.

IP Logged

linksspringer

Reply #155 - 01/04/10 at 23:10:03
Post Tools

There are also Classical / Alekhine Dutch DVD's by Andrew Martin:
http://www.chesscube.com/shop/products/page/1?search=Dutch

IP Logged

Göran

Reply #154 - 01/04/10 at 22:58:46
Post Tools
Boris Schipkov’s DVD trilogy about the Dutch is advanced but very interesting Dutch A90-A99, Dutch A86-A89 and Dutch A80-A85 - on ChessBase
http://www.chessbase.com/shop/productlist.asp?product=ot&subd=&user=&coin=

On ChessBase you will also find some other DVD about Dutch.

IP Logged

Göran

Reply #153 - 01/04/10 at 20:17:11
Post Tools
At attached site you will find some DVDs as well:
http://www.newinchess.com/Dutch_Defence-pc-62.html

IP Logged

Blackburne
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #152 - 01/04/10 at 18:26:31
Post Tools
Hacker,

Thanks for the reply. I do have McDonald's book, but I haven't got the new Dangerous Weapons: The Dutch. This kid plays 1...e6 and is comfortable (and hugely sucessful) with the French, so most of the Anti-Dutch lines aren't an issue.

TalJechin,

I agree. That's why my student spends at least an hour a day working tactics exercises. You needn't fear that tactics are being neglected here. And analyzing losses is one of the things I always drill into my students. So I think we have that covered!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo