Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Caro-Kann: playing for the win quotes? (Read 28104 times)
MarkG

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Caro-Kann: playing for the win quotes?
Reply #40 - 02/04/14 at 01:35:03
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/03/14 at 22:18:08:
You guys are discussing something that has been settled since at least 1998 in Nunn and McNab's The Ultimate Pirc, chapter 21. After say 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 g6 4.e5 Bg7 5.f4 h5 6. 6.Nf3 (6.Be3 with similar ideas) Bg4 7.h3 Bxf3 8.Qxf3 Qb6 9.Qf2 e6 White will castle short, play Ne2, b3 and c4 with an initiative strong enough to guarantee at least an edge.
Since then the question which move order is better, 3.Nc3 or 3.Nd2, has become irrelevant.

Actually, it is not irrelevant. The plan of opening the queen side is correct. However, it has been discovered that this is considerably strengthened if white first transfers his remaining knight to f3. Black will usually feel the need to play his pawn to h4. Putting the knight on f3 means that black is handicapped  in his ability to respond on the queen side as moving the bishop from e7 might mean that h4 simply falls off. Obviously, if the knight is going to f3 then it does make a big difference whether it starts from d2 or c3. You can find all this explained in Greet's "Beating Unusual Chess Defences".

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #39 - 02/03/14 at 22:18:08
Post Tools
You guys are discussing something that has been settled since at least 1998 in Nunn and McNab's The Ultimate Pirc, chapter 21. After say 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 g6 4.e5 Bg7 5.f4 h5 6. 6.Nf3 (6.Be3 with similar ideas) Bg4 7.h3 Bxf3 8.Qxf3 Qb6 9.Qf2 e6 White will castle short, play Ne2, b3 and c4 with an initiative strong enough to guarantee at least an edge.
Since then the question which move order is better, 3.Nc3 or 3.Nd2, has become irrelevant.
The reason to look at 1.e4 d6 2.d4 g6 3.Nc3 c6 is that Black might win a tempo - in the structure above the Bishop is better on f8 than on g7. The importance of this tempo also becomes clear after 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.f4 d5 4.e5 and Black can play c7-c5 in one go. Black does well here too, so the knight going to d2 hasn't much to do with it. Alas for Black the two lines can't be combined.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MarkG

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 02/03/14 at 21:51:03
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 02/03/14 at 12:20:22:
MarkG wrote on 02/03/14 at 01:30:02:
Right. There is a school of thought that 3.Nc3 is inaccurate in the Caro Kann precisely because black can transpose to a good Gurgenidze so probably Seirawan fully intended to play a Caro against 3.Nd2 and only transposed to the modern to take advantage of Smyslov's move order. So, I think your original point fully stands - this was a Caro Kann played in must win situation.

I've been thinking about that 'school of thought' and my thinking was: maybe it's better for white to play 3.Nc3, inviting a Gurgenidze, where white may have better chances of an advantage than in the main line Caro Kann
but when I look at the statistics I see that 3...g6 isn't played more after 3.Nd2 than after 3.Nc3

That's because white's best chances in the Gurgenidze involve playing f4 and repositioning his queen's knight to f3. Obviously, if he can do this via d2 rather than c3 he will save several tempi. Black really shouldn't allow this.

This is wandering a little off topic for this thread but it is useful to look at this from a Modern move order. Assuming black wants to play a Gurgenidze structure, after 1.e4 g6 2.d4 he would really like to wait for white to commit his queen knight.  Ideally, he would prefer a move other than 2...d6 or 2...Bg7, both of which represent tempi lost in the Gurgenidze. However, after the only likely candidate 2...c6, white can also mark time by playing 3.f4.

If black now plays, for example, 3...d6 then white can continue 4.Nc3 satisfied that if black now tries 4...d5 then 5.e5 reaches a line that could be reached from the Caro move order where white has been gifted the free move f4. On the other hand, if black goes ahead and plays 3...d5 anyway, then take a look at Kosintseva-Blatny, Moscow 2004 to see how white made very effective use of the fact that she had held back her queen knight.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 02/03/14 at 12:20:22
Post Tools
MarkG wrote on 02/03/14 at 01:30:02:
Right. There is a school of thought that 3.Nc3 is inaccurate in the Caro Kann precisely because black can transpose to a good Gurgenidze so probably Seirawan fully intended to play a Caro against 3.Nd2 and only transposed to the modern to take advantage of Smyslov's move order. So, I think your original point fully stands - this was a Caro Kann played in must win situation.

I've been thinking about that 'school of thought' and my thinking was: maybe it's better for white to play 3.Nc3, inviting a Gurgenidze, where white may have better chances of an advantage than in the main line Caro Kann
but when I look at the statistics I see that 3...g6 isn't played more after 3.Nd2 than after 3.Nc3

IP Logged

MarkG

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 02/03/14 at 01:30:02
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 02/02/14 at 23:52:33:
kylemeister wrote on 02/02/14 at 20:24:17:
I can see some attraction of that ...Nh6 Gurgenidze for winning purposes, but of course it isn't exactly your standard Caro ...

I see what you're saying, but after 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 Seirawan is of course saying that he's willing to play the Advanced Caro, the Panov-Botvinnik, the Exchange, etc.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #35 - 02/02/14 at 23:52:33
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 02/02/14 at 20:24:17:
I can see some attraction of that ...Nh6 Gurgenidze for winning purposes, but of course it isn't exactly your standard Caro ...

I see what you're saying, but after 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 Seirawan is of course willing to play the Advanced, the Panov-Botvinnik, the Exchange, etc.
« Last Edit: 02/03/14 at 18:34:00 by ErictheRed »  

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #34 - 02/02/14 at 20:24:17
Post Tools

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #33 - 02/02/14 at 20:07:13
Post Tools
Sorry, wrong tournament, but the principle applies.  It was Tilburg 1994 which used a knockout system of 2-game mini-matches.  Here is the game:

IP Logged

MarkG

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 02/02/14 at 19:52:45
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 02/02/14 at 14:14:23:
I don't have a quote, but when Seirawan lost his first game of a two game mini-match against Smyslov in the 1985 Candidates', he turned to the Caro-Kann for the second game, when a draw was equivalent to a loss for him. 

In the 1985 Candidates, Smyslov and Seirawan played only one game. Smyslov was white and it was a Bogo-Indian.
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1126817

In fact, I can't find any Caro game between Smyslov and Seirawan.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #31 - 02/02/14 at 14:14:23
Post Tools
I don't have a quote, but when Seirawan lost his first game of a two game mini-match against Smyslov in the 1985 Candidates', he turned to the Caro-Kann for the second game, when a draw was equivalent to a loss for him.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #30 - 01/17/14 at 11:49:50
Post Tools
Maybee a bit off topical, but I read somewhere that when Anand needed a win as black and played against  Shirov he always plays Caro Kann

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #29 - 01/17/14 at 11:21:06
Post Tools
up and comer wrote on 01/17/14 at 06:21:54:
GM Shankland said something in one of his video lectures about how if you have to play for a win, and your opponent just needs a draw to get the result he wants, your best bet was to play the carokann. He then proceeded to show how he did just that in the final round of a tournament and won his game.

Off topic, but that reminds me: I beat Shankland back when he was a 2100 player (I was rated right around 2000); it must have been 2006 or so.  I thought nothing of it, he seemed like any other reasonably good younger player, and was really surprised when I saw that he had become an IM two years later, and GM a year or so after that. 

When we played he must have around 16 years old, so I don't think that he was much of a prodigy or anything, but he sure shot up in chess strength from age 16-19 or so.  I've never seen or talked to him again, so I don't know anything about him, but his rise in playing strength seems really impressive. 

Edit: I was looking for the game and I can't find it; I must have forgotten to enter the games from that tournament into my database Sad.

IP Logged

up and comer

Reply #28 - 01/17/14 at 06:21:54
Post Tools
GM Shankland said something in one of his video lectures about how if you have to play for a win, and your opponent just needs a draw to get the result he wants, your best bet was to play the carokann. He then proceeded to show how he did just that in the final round of a tournament and won his game.

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #27 - 01/16/14 at 20:54:42
Post Tools
I find that argument by Collins a bit silly actually. The same could be said about 1...e5, the French, the Sicliian, the Pirc/Modern... White has various vays to play sharply AND various ways to play solidly against each.

We choose defences where we feel comfortable facing most (ideally, all!) of White's options, whether aggressive or calm.

And this if course is one of the biggest advantages of being White (if well-prepared): The ability to choose between a sharp and a quiet game to suit one's form on the day and/or make it uncomfortable for the opponent.
« Last Edit: 01/17/14 at 00:59:19 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #26 - 01/16/14 at 17:16:27
Post Tools
Aziridine wrote on 01/16/14 at 16:34:11:
Not a "playing for the win" quote, but here's something else Svidler said: "Just as any other 1 e4 player in the world, I've looked at enough CK in the last few years to grow completely sick of it." (Sam Collins, An Attacking Repertoire for White, Batsford 2004, p. 130)

Collins' quote in the same book would probably not suit your purposes:
"To be honest, I don't really see the the appeal of the Caro-Kann for non-professionals- although its main aim is to have a quiet life, White has the choice of several razor sharp lines all of which demand superb preparation. In lower-level tournaments where neither a draw with Black nor hours of preparation are always desired, the Caro-Kann just looks like a silly choice."

2078 uscf
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo