Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BDG Ziegler Defense (Read 68464 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: BDG Ziegler Defense
Reply #137 - 08/13/05 at 21:33:22
Post Tools
Quote:
It is not a question of correspondence chess versus speed chess, but rather,  cc vs. OTB chess.  I have always maintained that in OTB you have far less time to make decisions than in correspondence.

As far as speed chess is concerned, I use it as a testing ground.  You should know that GMs often test out an idea in casual blitz (or so it was 20 years ago) before taking it it a tournament level.  ICC is a great testing ground for new ideas.

Back in 1999, before I played on ICC, I used chess.net to test my ideas. The results allowed me  to understand what lines were playable and which were not. That was how the Zilbermints Gambit in the Grob, 1 g4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3! was invented in June 1999.

Objectively speaking,  there is nothing wrong with  testing ideas in blitz and then taking it to regular time controls.
What do I have to do to get you to understand my point? Invite you to watch one of my ideas first in blitz games and then its application in regular tournament play?

It seems you don't appreciate my point.  I do not say that there is anything wrong with playing speed chess; merely that these considerations of what kind of chess is being played are irrelevant to the truth of given positions.  Likewise irrelevant are the scores that you, or anyone, have had playing any particular variation.

Do you see that?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #136 - 08/13/05 at 21:13:40
Post Tools
Quote:
And so the never ending cycle continues.

Tops Grin

I suppose not dear friend, but it seems only to increase the complications in debate.

Out of curiousity TopNotch...why would you post such a caustic remark and not expect me to respond to it....

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #135 - 08/13/05 at 21:00:50
Post Tools
Quote:
Lev, with the greatest respect, there is truth in chess.

There is a true, though often unknown, evaluation of any given position that depends on the assumption that both sides will their best moves henceforth.  So then, the question here is not whether the BDG is a good system at speed (personally, against someone not throughly prepared for it, I think it may be).  The question here is, is it a good system objectively

So your observations about cc versus speed chess really are beside the point on this particular thread.   And unless the moves played shed light on particular positions considered here, the many games you have won with the BDG shed no light at all on this topic.

What do we have to do to get you talking about the objective truth of these positions, grab you by the ears and bang your head against the baseboard? Smiley

It is not a question of correspondence chess versus speed chess, but rather,  cc vs. OTB chess.  I have always maintained that in OTB you have far less time to make decisions than in correspondence.

As far as speed chess is concerned, I use it as a testing ground.  You should know that GMs often test out an idea in casual blitz (or so it was 20 years ago) before taking it it a tournament level.  ICC is a great testing ground for new ideas.

Back in 1999, before I played on ICC, I used chess.net to test my ideas. The results allowed me  to understand what lines were playable and which were not. That was how the Zilbermints Gambit in the Grob, 1 g4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3! was invented in June 1999.

Objectively speaking,  there is nothing wrong with  testing ideas in blitz and then taking it to regular time controls.
What do I have to do to get you to understand my point? Invite you to watch one of my ideas first in blitz games and then its application in regular tournament play?

YIM  
IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #134 - 08/13/05 at 20:47:17
Post Tools
And so the never ending cycle continues.

Tops Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #133 - 08/13/05 at 19:00:17
Post Tools
Quote:
Now you are guilty of bad reading, Teyko. Both Bonsai and Markovich have repeatedly showed lines for Black, which seriously question White's compensation.

Ouch, that hurt MnB. In the lines that I have followed on this post since the beginning these positions have only questioned the compensation and remain unclear at best. TopNotch's statement argued that this line was clearly in Black's favor and I don't think that is true.

He argues that:
1.You have only supported my point, that the viability of the entire BDG rests on 8.Ng5 (The so called alchemy line) and any time the playability of an entire Opening hangs on one move, then that system for want of a better word, is junk.

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.O-O e6 8.Ng5. 

So after six very long pages what is the final verdict on the above line. White seems to be losing at best and already dead lost at worse

My response was directed at these two statements, and while I believe that Markovich and Bonsai statements are valid they lack practical tests, and can only be interpreted as unclear positions. Markovich and I had this debate in his line where white had a draw with Bd3. I believe Patrik's statement best summarized the position of this line when he says.

"I think you are not fair. Alchemy Variation is an extremely difficult line with great complications. There is no IM on the earth who can evaluate it correctly simply by looking on it for three second. No chance. 
And be sure, I´m not a kind of guy who thinks that a gambit is ok when you have an equality. It is true, when you´re black but not when you´re white. 
Of course, nowadays chess is full of "equalities". See ECO books, there are almost some say 60% full of =, 30% unclear, some 10% with compensation and just 10% are other possibilities. It seems that today´s chess is leading to equality whatever opening you´re playing. Don´t you see this? Ruy Lopez is =, King´s Indian is =, I can draw even all my corresp. games in Benoni and Rajmund can play 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6!? without any worry at high-level corr. chess. This is the reality. 
I don´t think black is better in BDG. Rajmund Emanuel proved =/+ in so-called Martin´s Refutation line long time before Martin even started to write the article. Then he has proposed the Alchemy Variant because (yes!) BDG was in trouble. Ziegler Variation is (according to me) the best choice for black and the most difficult for white, therefore we picked it up for our Experimentum Crucis 2004 Project on Rajmund´s website. Result is (for me) still not clear. All attempts to refute Alchemy were succesfully passed but... position (as in so-called Sun Variant) looks very, very suspicious even for those (like me) who believe in this line. But no concrete line is available. 
I´m not fan of 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bd3 as black is at least equal here. As far as I remember I sent some analysis somewhere on a forum. 
On the other hand, this move is perfectly playable in OTB chess.
You´re also reffering to "BDG fanatics".. Frankly, based on my experience here, I know more people here who are fanatically opposed to BDG than those who vote for the another cause.

The point is that there is not a convincing line that amply demonstrates that Black is better.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #132 - 08/13/05 at 16:48:18
Post Tools
Quote:
I think that in the game ArKheiN-Markovich  White did not play the best moves. More to the point, as I always pointed out, correspondence chess is different from over-the-board chess in the time you get to analyze.

Recently I completed a Ziegler Defense game on Internet Chess Club... and I won in good style with White! I will post the game shortly.

Lev, with the greatest respect, there is truth in chess.

There is a true, though often unknown, evaluation of any given position that depends on the assumption that both sides will their best moves henceforth.  So then, the question here is not whether the BDG is a good system at speed (personally, against someone not throughly prepared for it, I think it may be).  The question here is, is it a good system objectively

So your observations about cc versus speed chess really are beside the point on this particular thread.   And unless the moves played shed light on particular positions considered here, the many games you have won with the BDG shed no light at all on this topic.

What do we have to do to get you talking about the objective truth of these positions, grab you by the ears and bang your head against the baseboard? Smiley

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #131 - 08/13/05 at 11:46:17
Post Tools
I think that in the game ArKheiN-Markovich  White did not play the best moves. More to the point, as I always pointed out, correspondence chess is different from over-the-board chess in the time you get to analyze.

Recently I completed a Ziegler Defense game on Internet Chess Club... and I won in good style with White! I will post the game shortly.

YIM  
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #130 - 08/13/05 at 10:22:38
Post Tools
Now you are guilty of bad reading, Teyko. Both Bonsai and Markovich have repeatedly showed lines for Black, which seriously question White's compensation.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #129 - 08/12/05 at 19:59:34
Post Tools
Every year it is the same thing. At least one person says that the opening is junk and is refuted, but guess what there is not a single line that shows this refutation, imagine that.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #128 - 08/12/05 at 10:28:33
Post Tools
"any time the playability of an entire Opening hangs on one move, then that system for want of a better word, is junk"
Do you also apply this on say the Polugajevsky Variation of the Najdorf?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #127 - 08/11/05 at 23:47:24
Post Tools
Quote:
Then he has proposed the Alchemy Variant because (yes!) BDG was in trouble. Ziegler Variation is (according to me) the best choice for black and the most difficult for white, therefore we picked it up for our Experimentum Crucis 2004 Project on Rajmund´s website. Result is (for me) still not clear. All attempts to refute Alchemy were succesfully passed but... position (as in so-called Sun Variant) looks very, very suspicious even for those (like me) who believe in this line. But no concrete line is available.
I´m not fan of 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bd3 as black is at least equal here. As far as I remember I sent some analysis somewhere on a forum.
You´re also reffering to "BDG fanatics".. Frankly, based on my experience here, I know more people here who are fanatically opposed to BDG than those who vote for the another cause.  

You have only supported my point, that the viability of the entire BDG rests on 8.Ng5 (The so called alchemy line) and any time the playability of an entire Opening hangs on one move, then that system for want of a better word, is junk.

There is equality and then there is equality. There is dead, or static equality like that found in many symmetrical postions where unless one side does something stupid the likely outcome is a draw and then we have dynamic equality where various pros and cons of a position are weighed carefully and found to be in balance.

This second kind of equality is vague and can change in an instant, sensible annotators in this type of situation prefer to use  =/unclear symbol. In the BDG the material disadvantage is often permanent, which means that if White fails to land a knockout blow then he is lost or struggling to draw a pawn down ending.

For a Gambit or Sacrifice to have true merit, then it must force some concrete concession from black other than just a couple tempi and or a half open file. The reason why a BDG player can never accept this, is simply because often they are already too vested and the thought of have to learn proven chess stratgey and openings from scratch is simply too daunting a task for most.

Yes I am often quite humorous, but behind humor often lies the most telling truths.

Am I fanatically opposed to the BDG, in principle yes.
The gambit is objectively too dependant on unforced errors by Black, and it is only when such carelss errors are committed that White's compensation becomes real.

I'm getting a deja vu vibe here.

Tops  Grin    

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Sevenviolets

Reply #126 - 08/11/05 at 08:19:49
Post Tools
I think you are not fair. Alchemy Variation is an extremely difficult line with great complications. There is no IM on the earth who can evaluate it correctly simply by looking on it for three second. No chance.
And be sure, I´m not a kind of guy who thinks that a gambit is ok when you have an equality. It is true, when you´re black but not when you´re white.
Of course, nowadays chess is full of "equalities". See ECO books, there are almost some say 60% full of =, 30% unclear, some 10% with compensation and just 10% are other possibilities. It seems that today´s chess is leading to equality whatever opening you´re playing. Don´t you see this? Ruy Lopez is =, King´s Indian is =, I can draw even all my corresp. games in Benoni and Rajmund can play 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6!? without any worry at high-level corr. chess. This is the reality.
I don´t think black is better in BDG. Rajmund Emanuel proved =/+ in so-called Martin´s Refutation line long time before Martin even started to write the article. Then he has proposed the Alchemy Variant because (yes!) BDG was in trouble. Ziegler Variation is (according to me) the best choice for black and the most difficult for white, therefore we picked it up for our Experimentum Crucis 2004 Project on Rajmund´s website. Result is (for me) still not clear. All attempts to refute Alchemy were succesfully passed but... position (as in so-called Sun Variant) looks very, very suspicious even for those (like me) who believe in this line. But no concrete line is available.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #125 - 08/11/05 at 07:43:18
Post Tools
Quote:

According to Arkhein 6.Bd3 is an interesting alternative, but once again its just a pawn down with inadequate compensation.

Oh I fully agree, but what you have to understand is that for these BDG fanatics, any compensation is always enough compensation.  Almost never do they look at a BDG position where white has some compensation and say other than "White is at least equal!"

Over and over again I have said, "White has some compensation, but Black is better," and over and over again they say, "White is at least equal."  Apparently there does not exist a BDG position where White is not at least equal.

I don't consider the BDG to be an automatic point for Black, but it does offer Black very good prospect of a point, and I share your preference for scoring

The last time I looked, to score, and not to play in a certain style, was the object of this game.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #124 - 08/11/05 at 05:49:49
Post Tools
The current claim by the BDG crowd that the Alchemy variation is playable for white seems to rely very much on 1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Bd6 10.Nf4 Bxf4 11.Bxf4 Nd5 12.Bc1 being okay for white (with various variation of the a2-a4 and then Ra1-a3 maneuver to follow, see http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/ec_ena_alch.htm).

That's one of the places where I have strong suspicions that black should be able to find something. Maybe we should have a closer look at this subvariation?

IP Logged

Sevenviolets

Reply #123 - 08/11/05 at 05:26:08
Post Tools
As far as I know, Alchemy Variant is o.k. TopNotch is a fine chap, but a little too rush in his conclusions, anyway his posts are funny.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #122 - 08/10/05 at 21:37:06
Post Tools
If I have understood all postings correctly, also the Alchemy Variation is close to refutation.
Concerning 6.Bd3: after g6 Black transposes to the Bogoljubov Defense and the White bishop is misplaced on d3. Moreover Black has 4...c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5.
As 7.Ne5 e6 8.o-o Bg6! leaves White a pawn down with nothing, White's last vague hope indeed is 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #121 - 08/10/05 at 21:33:52
Post Tools
Quote:

So after six very long pages what is the final verdict on the above line. White seems to be losing at best and already dead lost at worse.

It could well be that the future of the BDG rests squarely on the shoulders of one move: 8.Ng5. Thats a tall order for any move, but such as life in the Gambit fast lane.

According to Arkhein 6.Bd3 is an interesting alternative, but once again its just a pawn down with inadequate compensation. Besides, if black likes he can simply use the O'Kelly move order and 'force' you into the dodgy 8.Ng5 business. Alchemy indeed, in fact you do have a better chance of turning base metal into gold than making this junk viable.

The strongest argument I've seen so far for the BDG is that its fun. So we can safely conclude that the BDG is fun for White but a point for Black.

I'll take the point thank you.

Toppylov Grin 

I defeated 5 Nxf3 c6  with the waiting move 6 a3!. Check the analyses and games in Blackmar-Diemer Gambit World magazine #79.

YIM  
IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #120 - 08/10/05 at 21:07:00
Post Tools

So after six very long pages what is the final verdict on the above line. White seems to be losing at best and already dead lost at worse.

It could well be that the future of the BDG rests squarely on the shoulders of one move: 8.Ng5. Thats a tall order for any move, but such as life in the Gambit fast lane.

According to Arkhein 6.Bd3 is an interesting alternative, but once again its just a pawn down with inadequate compensation. Besides, if black likes he can simply use the O'Kelly move order and 'force' you into the dodgy 8.Ng5 business. Alchemy indeed, in fact you do have a better chance of turning base metal into gold than making this junk viable.

The strongest argument I've seen so far for the BDG is that its fun. So we can safely conclude that the BDG is fun for White but a point for Black.

I'll take the point thank you.

Toppylov Grin

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #119 - 08/09/05 at 22:19:44
Post Tools
1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 is ¨¨the main move, and most of us in the forum know that the "Alchemy Variant" is surely an improvement over the "refutation" from Andrew Martin.

but 6.Bd3 is equally interesting. After ..Bg4 7.h3 Bxf3 8.Qxf3 Qxd4 9.Be3 followed by 0-0-0 ressemble to 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4!!?Qxd4 9.Be3 which leads to an interesting play.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #118 - 08/09/05 at 21:26:21
Post Tools
I think MNb means 7.O-O e6 8.Ng5.

In that case the answer is no.  TopNotch is just being provocative again.  Curious post, since it was exactly that article that generated interest in this thread.  (Read the first post.)

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #117 - 08/09/05 at 00:17:46
Post Tools
Does Martin mention 7.Ng5 then? You see, that is what most posts are about.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #116 - 08/07/05 at 18:50:37
Post Tools
I've lost track, has Martin's REFUTATION been refuted?

Or are the BDGeers still shopping for tombstones.

Tops  Grin

IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #115 - 05/20/05 at 06:33:51
Post Tools
"What do you think of the material imbalance after
1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 10.Qxc2 Qxd4+ 11.Be3 Qxc4 12.Rf4! Qxf4 13.Bxf4 Bc5+ 14.Kf1 Nbd7 ?
I think black is at least equal here. "

I think:
14.Kh1! (14.Kf1?!) with aggressive possibility, for example:
14...Nbd7 15.Rf1! Rad8 16.Bc7 Rc8 17.Bg3 h6 18.Ne4 Be7 19.Bd6 Rhf8 20.Qb3 Nb6 (20...b6 21.g4+/-) 21.g4 +/-

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #114 - 05/20/05 at 01:15:11
Post Tools
What do you think of the material imbalance after

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 10.Qxc2 Qxd4+ 11.Be3 Qxc4 12.Rf4! Qxf4 13.Bxf4 Bc5+ 14.Kf1 Nbd7 ?

I think black is at least equal here.

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #113 - 05/19/05 at 21:05:30
Post Tools
I started looking at the most principled continuation 8...Bxc2 to see why many people consider this line to very dangerous for black.  I admit that I had not really looked at this line carefully, before looking at the more analyzed 8...Bg6.  I am noticing a pattern that when I do not look carefully at the most principled line, I later tend to regret it.  Now when I am looking at the line, black looks very good!  On Rajmund's website, the line he considers to be critical is:

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nxf7! Kxf7 10.Qxc2! Qxd4+ 11.Be3

I believe the lines 9.Qe2, 9.Qxc2, 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 10.Qe2, and 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 10.Bxe6 are advantageous for black.  Patrik (Sevenviolets) wrote a summary of these lines on page 3 of this thread.  The line 9.Qe2 was analyzed to a safe advantage for black by Bonsai in this thread.

However, I have a question on the line 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 10. Qxc2 Qxd4+ 11.Be3.  Here the only continuation considered is 11...Qxe3+.  When I looked at the position after 11.Be3 the first move I considered was 11...Qxc4, and when I looked further at the analysis on Rajmund's site, I was surprised it wasn't considered.  It seems natural to me to remove the light-squared bishop which targets e6 and black's general light-square weakenesses on the kingside.  Taking the bishop on e3 is very dangerous for these reasons, as Rajmund demonstrates in his analysis.  At first, I thought I was missing a simple tactic after 11...Qxc4, but looked and found nothing immediate.  Then I looked at what long term pressure white had, but never found anything remotely convincing.  Without the light-squared bishop, white's pressure seems significantly weakened.  Here are a couple of possibilities:

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 10.Qxc2 Qxd4+ 11.Be3 Qxc4 12.b3 Qb4 13.Ne4 Nbd7 14.Ng5+ Kg8 15.a3 [15.Nxe6 Qe4] Qe7 16.Qc4 Re8 17.Rae1 h6

I don't see anything approaching compensation for the piece.  Black doesn't seem to have a difficult defense either.  Is there something I am missing after 11...Qxc4?

Update:  12.Rf4! traps the queen.  Seeing the blunder in Anand-Kramnik made me think about this.  (Kramnik missed a horizontal rook double attack.)  After 12.Rf4 Qa6 13.Ra4 surprisingly wins the queen!  I wondered why this move wasn't considered.  The computers probably picked it up in a second!  I think this at least deserves a footnote in the analysis, as 11...Qxc4 is natural move for a human player.  It is very disturbing to miss something like this!

At first impulse, I thought about deleting this post.  However, I don't think this is completely useless.  After all, black gets a knight, rook and two pawns for a queen.  At least I think the move deserves consideration.
« Last Edit: 05/20/05 at 00:44:14 by X »  

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #112 - 05/19/05 at 15:03:55
Post Tools
OK, so 16...0-0?? is a total blunder.  17.Nxg6! was kind of an obvious move to miss.  I'm sorry, I don't use computers to check my analysis.  I suppose I should buy an engine for this purpose.  I have a tendency to sometimes make stupid mistakes like this, especially when I am exploring a line of play too deeply, before checking the alternatives.  I hope you excuse this, because this is a learning process for me.  Sometimes I get carried away when I see an interesting idea.  Sometimes, an idea that fails to tactical refutation can fail in one line, but work in another.  Other times, it just doesn't work.   But for me that's part of learning.  I don't expect perfection on the first attempt.  Only here, it's very embarassing to miss such a simple combination.  (Not like I haven't done it before.)  All I can say is that when I see an idea that looks promising, I post it for discussion, hoping that it will add greater insight to the position.  Perhaps, I should be more careful, but my time is limited.  If I tried to put the same quality in replies, as though I were writing a book, I probably would not post at all (or there would be a lengthy delay).  Contrary to what my posts may suggest, I actually do have a high standard on quality.  However, in a discussion I feel that mistakes are an inevitable part of the process.  Though perhaps, I should be a little more careful at times...

As far as the position after 16.Qd3 goes, I am out of ideas for black!  16...Rh6 seems like the best move, but it seems too awkward for it be good for black.  I think white has real pressure.  To be honest, I have doubts about 9...Nd5 in general.  I think the only chance left to show something for black is the more natural 12...Qd8, but still I think white has strong pressure here.  My original intention behind 9...Nd5 was to avoid the complications of the other lines, but without conceding the dark-squared bishop.  However, it seems that black has to make too many awkward moves.  I started to feel very suspicious when black was making the moves Nf6-d5-f6, Qd8-d6-d7, Na6-c7.  Sure, black is interfering with white's plans, but at what cost?  I am reaching the conclusion that the cost is too great.  So maybe someone else can find an idea to make 9...Nd5 work.  Now my impression is that maybe black's best is to enter the direct complications associated with the sacrifices on e6.  

IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

BDG Ziegler Defense
Reply #111 - 05/19/05 at 03:34:37
Post Tools
"1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Nd5!? 10.Bd3 Qd6 11.c4 Nf6 12.Bf4 Qd7!? 13.Be5 Be7 14.Nf4 Na6 15.Bxg6 hxg6 16.Qd3
16...0-0! 17.Qh3"
(why?)

better 17.Nxg6 (Excuse me, but the move takes - for example by Shredder - about  2 sec.; 17.Nfxe6+- too) 17...fxg6 18.Qxg6 Qe8 19.Rxf6+-

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #110 - 05/18/05 at 17:38:49
Post Tools
This is my analysis of the continuation with 16.Qd3 0-0 17.Qh3 Nh5:

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Nd5!? 10.Bd3 Qd6 11.c4 Nf6 12.Bf4 Qd7!? 13.Be5 Be7 14.Nf4 Na6 15.Bxg6 hxg6 16.Qd3

16...0-0! 17.Qh3 Nh5! 18.Bxg7

[18.Nxh5 Bxg5 19.Nxg7 f6!µ;
   18.Nf3 Nxf4 19.Bxf4 Rad8 20.Rad1 c5µ]

18...Bxg5!

[18...Kxg7? 19.Nxh5+ gxh5 20.Qxh5 Qxd4+ 21.Kh1  Bxg5 22.Qxg5+ Kh8 23.Rf6]

19.Nxh5 [19.Bxf8 Nxf4µ] 19...gxh5 20.Qxh5 f6 21.Qh8+ Kf7 22.Bxf8 [22.Qh7 Qxd4+ 23.Kh1 Qh4-+] 22...Rxf8 [22...Qxd4+? 23.Kh1 Rxf8 24.Qh7+ Ke8 25.Rad1] 23.Qh7+ Ke8 24.Qe4 f5 25.Qd3 Nc5µ

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #109 - 05/18/05 at 15:26:42
Post Tools
Yes, I don't think things are so great for black after 16...Rf8.  Black's king placement and the weakness on e6 give white too much compensation.  Something made me feel a little uneasy about this, especially when I thought about it more after waking up.  After 16...Rf8, black seems to be making too many awkward moves.  I think the only idea left to make 12...Qd7 work is with 16...0-0.  I had initially not considered this move, as I thought it was bad due to 17.Qh3 (the reason 0-0 usually fails), however Qd7 seems to serve a useful purpose here in that it defends e6, and free the king's rook.

For example, after 16.Qd3 0-0 17.Qh3 Rfd8, 18.Bxf6 Bxf6 19.Qh7+ and sacrifices on g6 seem to back fire. Still white may have enough compensation after 18.Rad1, though the problem for white's attack seems to be that it is difficult to find more constructive moves to find a way into black's position.  I think the assessment depends on the quality of black's counterplay at this point.  If white has enough time, he can play for a rook lift with Qh4, Rf3-h3.

So after 16.Qd3 0-0 17.Qh3, 17...Rfd8?! is not so clear; however, I think 17...Nh5!? needs to considered.  So far, I have analyzed the resulting complications in black's favor, so I think this is critical.  This needs to be checked, since if this idea works, I think black's position is viable to play for an advantage.  Here, I think it is important to leave the rook on f8 to make this resource work as it serves a useful defensive function, which is one reason I do not like 17...Rfd8.

That's it for now.  I might post some more analysis later, but right now I'm hungry.

IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #108 - 05/18/05 at 07:42:55
Post Tools
I think, the variant 12...Qd7 is good for White too.

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Nd5 10.Bd3 Qd6 11.c4 Nf6 12.Bf4 Qd7 13.Be5 Be7 [13...Bd6 14.Bxg6 hxg6 15.Qb3 Bc7 16.Rad1 Qc8 17.Qg3 Na6 18.Qf3+/-] 14.Nf4 Na6 15.Bxg6 hxg6 16.Qd3 Rh6

[16...Rf8? 17.Nxg6 (or 17.Nfxe6+- ) 17...fxg6 18.Qxg6+ Kd8 19.Qxg7+-;

16...Nb4 17.Qg3 Rf8 18.Ngxe6 fxe6 19.Qxg6+ Kd8 20.Qxg7 Ne8 21.Qg6 Nc7 22.Bxc7+ Kxc7 23.Nxe6+ Kb6 24.a3+/-]

17.Qe2 Nc7 18.Rad1 Qd8 19.Nd3 Rh5 20.Qe3 Na6 [20...Ng4 21.Qf4 Nxe5 22.dxe5+/-] 21.Qg3 Qd7 22.Kh1 Rd8 23.Rde1 Kf8 24.Bxf6 gxf6 25.Nxe6+ fxe6 26.Qxg6+/-

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #107 - 05/18/05 at 04:51:17
Post Tools
Here a few sample lines to illustrate the proposed defense with 12...Qd7 for black against direct attack.

Alchemy - 9...Nd5!? [D00]

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Nd5!? 10.Bd3 Qd6 11.c4 Nf6 12.Bf4 Qd7!? 13.Be5 Be7 14.Nf4 Na6 15.Bxg6 hxg6 16.Qd3 [16.Nxf7 Kxf7 17.Qd3 Rh6 18.g4 g5 19.Nh5 Kg8 and black seems to hold] 16...Rf8 17.Nxf7 [17.Nxg6 fxg6 18.Qxg6+ Kd8 also looks insufficient] Rxf7 18.Qxg6 Bf8 and black holds the extra piece

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #106 - 05/18/05 at 03:37:11
Post Tools
@ Markovich:

Yes, I think 5...Bf5 is strong also.  I simply chose to examine two lines that seemed promising after reading a post of Top Notch, a section of Larry Kaufman's repertoire book, and the article by Andrew Martin.  I think 5...c6 is sometimes preferred to avoid tactics based on the b7 weakness, and also it is a useful waiting move to see which setup white commits to.  Also, it is of some importance to Caro-Kann players from the black side.  Though certainly, it is useful to compare 5...Bf5 to 5...c6.  Not that I'll be starting a new thread on that anytime soon.  Maybe you will lead the way?

@ Rajmund Emanuel:

When I analyzed this line, I came to the conclusion that 10...Qd6 was the best move.  After 11.c4 Nf6 12.Bf4, I think 12...Qd7 is strong (this was the idea I was referring to in my last post), with the unusual plan of Na6-c7.  Black keeps his option open for castling to either side, while covering his weaknesses.  It may seem strange, but I think it is a constructive development.  I don't see a good way for white to counter this plan, though the position needs to be looked at a little further.  At the very least, I think it deserves consideration, despite its awkward appearance.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #105 - 05/16/05 at 11:13:56
Post Tools
Patrick Schoupal has asked, "Why is Black plaing 6...c6 when 6. ..Bf5 is available?"

Since I have asked this obvious question several times here myself and never received an answer, I would have appreciated his supplying one.  The last time I looked, there was no extant rejoinder to my claim, which has stood here for a long time, that 6...Bf5  7. Ne5 e6  (there is also 7...Be6) 8. g4 Bg6  9. Qf3 c6  19. g4 Nh5 is =+.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6Re: BDG Ziegler Defense
Reply #104 - 05/16/05 at 08:50:25
Post Tools
To make matters worse 9...Nd5...
Roll Eyes
1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Nd5 10.Bd3

[10...Bd6 11.Bxg6 hxg6 12.Rxf7 Bxh2+ 13.Kf2 Nd7
(13...Nf4 14.Bxf4 Bxf4 15.Nxf4 Qxg5 16.Qe2+-;
13...Bf4 14.Bxf4 Nxf4 15.Nxf4 Qxg5 16.Qe2+-)
14.g3 N5f6 15.Qd3 Qb6 (15...Qa5 16.Bd2 Qf5+ 17.Kg2 Qd5+ 18.Qf3 Qxf3+ 19.Kxf3 e5 20.Kg2+-) 16.Rxf6 gxf6 17.Qxg6+ Kd8 18.Nf7+ Kc7 19.Nxh8 Rxh8 20.Bh6+/-

10...Qc7 11.c4 Nf6 12.Nf4! Bxd3 13.Qxd3 Bd6 14.Nfxe6+-

10...Qd6 11.c4 Nf6 12.Bf4 Qd8 13.Bxg6 hxg6 14.Qd3 Be7 15.Rae1 Nbd7
[15...0-0 16.Qh3 Nh5 (16...Nbd7 17.Be3 Nh5 18.Qh4 c5 19.g4+-) 17.Qh4 Nd7 18.g4+-]
16.Nc3 Nb6
[16...0-0 17.Qh3 Qb6 18.Nce4 Rfe8N (18...Nh5 19.g4+-) 19.Nxf6+ Nxf6 20.Be5+-]
17.Rxe6 fxe6 18.Nxe6 Qc8 19.Qxg6+ Kd7 20.Re1+/-

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #103 - 04/24/05 at 02:50:11
Post Tools
I looked at the postion a little more after 10.Bd3, and I am beginning to think that 10...Qd6 is the best move.  (10...Qc7 seems unclear, in that gives white more promising sacrificial opportunities on e6.)  My reasoning is that black's ideal defensive formation involves the odd-looking development Na6-c7.  Also if white aims for Bf4 (which seems to interfere with white's attack along the f-file and against e6), then the queen can retreat to d7 (which is often the ideal square for the queen anyway, if black wishes to castle queenside since it defends f7), where it still serves a useful function.  On d6, the queen serves four useful functions:  it eyes the h2 pawn (the tactical motivation behind the move, it also eyes d4 (this may discourage Nf4 is some situations), it leaves the c7 square open for the knight (black cannot afford to waste time if he wishes to erect the defensive barrier with Na6-c7), and it protects the e6 square (which also saves time).  This needs to be supported by analysis, but these are ideas to keep in mind.  I'll post some analysis when I am through with finals.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #102 - 04/23/05 at 04:50:41
Post Tools
Yes, 12.Rxf7! complicates things a little.  Though maybe the same idea works with a queen move as you suggest.  I guess the idea of 10...Qd6 is to add protecttion to d6, but it seems to a little awkward, as you mentioned, when white play c4 and Bf4.  I wonder if black can get away with 10...Qc7, so that Bf4 can be met with ...Bd6.

Or at worst you could have a Zaitsev-like repetition 10...Nf6 11.Bc4 Nd5.  Smiley

In the 10.Nf4 line, I think black is fine as long as does he does not create targets for white, and prepares carefully to break in the center.  When looking at the positions here, it seemed that if white restrains himself with c3, then black should not be in a hurry with ...c5 (as it can allow white to take positive actions by placing the knight on d4).  The ...c5 break is more of deterrant against white's actions.  If white just sits still, then black can also adopt the idea of Rae8, Kh8, Nd7, f6, and breaking in the center with ...e5.  Black doesn't seem to have problems defending here.

10.Bd3 seems like the critical challenge to black's idea, so 10...Qc7 or 10...Qd6 need to be examined carefully (if black is not content with a repetition Smiley ).

Currently, my preference is for 10...Qc7, when I think black should be doing well.  (When I have the time, I'll post some analysis.)  Actually, when I first looked at line, I think I was deciding between 10...Bd6 and 10...Qc7, but I was unaware of the danger of 12.Rxf7 in the 10...Bd6 line.  So I think the general idea (countering with a check on h2) works, but I made an incorrect decision on which piece to use.

IP Logged

M.Nb

Reply #101 - 04/23/05 at 03:59:39
Post Tools
You missed 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Bd5 10.Bd3 Bd6 11.Bxg6 hxg6 12.Rxf7 and matters are a bit unclear. White is not necessarily worse after Bxh2+ 13.Kf2 Nf4 14.Bxf4 Nxf4 15.Rxf4 Qxg5 16.Qd3 Nd7 17.Qg3 as Black's pawns resemble a ruin.
But what about 10...Qd6
a)11.Ne4 Bxe4 12.Nxe4 Nd7 13.c3 N5f6 14.Bd3 c5 and Black will castle queenside;
b)11.Bf4 Nxf4 12.Rxf4 f6 13.Ne4 Qc7 with 14...Bf7 to follow.
c)11.c4 Nf6 12.Bf4 Qe7 and Black is a bit cramped. 13.a3 preparing a queenside storm is probably best.

I have also looked at 10.Nf4 Nxf4 11.Bxf4 Be7 and now 12.Qd2 o-o (b5? 13.Bxe6) 13.Rae1 (13.a4 is too slow: Nd7 14.Rae1 b5 15.Bb3 c5) b5 14.Bb3 c5 15.c3 cxd4? (c4 16.Bd1 Nc6 =+ is critical) 16.Rxe6! dxc3 17.Qe3 cxb2 18.Rxe7 or even 18.Nxf7 unclear.
I am working on that b7-b5-b4 line yet.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #100 - 04/22/05 at 22:30:14
Post Tools
In the Alchemy Variation of the Ziegler Defense, I think I have found a move (9...Nd5) in the 8...Bg6 line that causes problems for white.  An important aspect of this move is that it seems to prevent white's plans, while avoiding immense tactical complications without an important stategic concession (such as the loss of dark-squared bishop in the 9...Bd6 line).  Here's my analysis of the move.  See what you think.

Alchemy - 9...Nd5!? [D00]

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 Bg6

9.Ne2 Nd5!
Has this move been considered?  I can't find it on Rajmund's website, yet the move seems very logical, in that it interferes with white's plans.  I don't see a convincing answer for white.  This move seems to avoid unnecessary tactical sequences, without unfavorably conceding the bishop pair.  With 9...Nd5, black argues that without a successful implementation of the Nf4 plan, white's setup is not so threatening.

10.Nf4

[10.Bd3 Perhaps the most principled move to take advantage of the uncovering of f7, but black has a surprising resource. 10...Bd6!

11.Bxg6 hxg6

A) 12.Nxf7? Bxh2+ 13.Kf2 (13.Kh1? Bg3+ 14.Kg1 Rh1+ 15.Kxh1 Qh4+ 16.Kg1 Qh2#) 13...Qf6+! 14.Ke1 (14.Nf4? Qxf7 15.g3 g5-+) 14...Qh4+ 15.Kd2 (15.g3? Bxg3+ 16.Nxg3 Qxg3+ 17.Ke2 Rh2+-+) 15...0-0 16.Nh8 (16.Ne5 Bxe5 17.dxe5 Qg5+µ) 16...Qg5+ 17.Kd3 Nf4+ 18.Kc3 (18.Nxf4 Bxf4-+) 18...Nxe2+ 19.Qxe2 Rxf1 20.Qxf1 Qg3+ 21.Kd2 Qf4+ 22.Qxf4 Bxf4+ 23.Kd3 Bxc1 24.Rxc1 Kxh8-+;

B) 12.h3 12...Nf6 13.Nf4 Na6! 14.Qe2 (14.Nfxe6? fxe6 15.Nxe6 Qd7 16.Re1 Kf7-+) 14...Nc7 15.Bd2 Qd7µ followed by castling queenside]

10...Nxf4 11.Bxf4 Be7

[11...Bd6?! 12.Bxe6 fxe6 (12...Bxf4 13.Rxf4 fxe6 14.Nxe6 Qd7 15.Qg4) 13.Nxe6 Qd7 14.Bxd6 Qxd6 15.Nxg7+ Kd7 16.Qg4+ This seems to lead to unnecessary complications, so I prefer 11...Be7.  Anyway the whole idea of this line is to defuse white's attack before it even strikes.]

12.Nf3

[12.Bxe6 Bxg5-+;
12.Nxe6 fxe6 13.Bxe6 Bf6!? 14.Be5 (14.c3 Bf7 15.Bxf7+ Kxf7 16.Bg5 Nd7-+) 14...Bxe5 15.dxe5 Na6-+]

12...Nd7 13.Qe2 Nb6! This move allows black to meet Rae1 with ...Bd6.

[13...0-0 14.Rae1 Nb6? 15.Bxe6!]

14.Bb3 0-0 15.Rae1 Bd6 16.Bg5 [16.Bxd6 Qxd6µ]

16...Qc7 17.c4

[17.Ne5?! c5

A) 18.c3 c4! 19.Nxg6 (19.Bc2 Bxc2 20.Qxc2 f6-+) 19...hxg6 20.Bc2 Bxh2+-+;

B) 18.dxc5 18...Qxc5+! 19.Kh1 Qxe5 20.Qxe5 Bxe5 21.Rxe5 f6 22.Rxe6 Bf7-+]

17...c5 18.d5 exd5 19.cxd5 c4 20.Bc2 [20.Rc1? Bd3] 20...Nxd5µ It's probably best to leave the bishop on g6 to defend the f5 square if necessary.  For example: 21.Bxg6 hxg6 22.Rc1 b5 23.Nd4 a6-+ and f5 is defended.

IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #99 - 03/31/05 at 08:08:14
Post Tools
Quote:
Two other remarks:
Rajmund does not mention Tzanidakis' idea 7.o-o Bg6!?
7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Bd6 10.Nf4 Bxd6 11.Bxf4 Nd5 12.Bc1 (or 12.Bd2) h6 13.Nf3 (what sense does 8.Ng5 make then?) o-o 14.a4 Nd7 15.Ra3 and now c5! =+ at least.

I'm analyzed also this position and I may say, that also here has White centrain offensive possibilities. Between  8. and 13. moves something change, the move h6 can to express like weakening... It isn't easy perhaps prove with a sufficient quantity of variants, but yet something:

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.OO e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Bd6 10.Nf4 Bxf4 11.Bxf4 Nd5 12.Bc1!N h6 13.Nf3 OO 14.a4! Nd7 15.Ra3 c5 (M. Nieuweboer) 16.Bxd5 exd5 17.dxc5 Nxc5 18.Ne5

A) 18...Bh7 19.Bxh6 gxh6 (19...Ne6 20.Rg3!) 20.Rg3+ Bg6 21.Nxg6 fxg6 22.Rxf8+ Qxf8 23.Qxd5+ Kh8 (23...Kg7 24.Qe5+ Qf6 25.Qxc5 Qxb2 26.Rf3 Re8 27.Rf1 Qb6 28.Qxb6 axb6 29.Rd1±) 24.Qe5+ Qg7 25.Qxc5 Qxb2 26.h3 with initiative [26...Qc1+ 27.Kh2 Qf4 28.a5 h5 29.Qg5 Qxg5 30.Rxg5 Rg8 31.Kg3 Rg7 (31...Kh7 32.Rd5±) 32.c4 Kh7 33.c5 Rd7 34.a6 bxa6 35.Kf4±]

B) 18...Be4 19.Bxh6 gxh6 20.Rg3+ Bg6 21.Nxg6 see A, 18...Bh7

C) 18...Qd6 19.Bf4 Be4 [19...Bh7 20.Re3 Qd8 21.Bxh6 gxh6 22.Rg3+ Bg6 23.Nxg6 see A,18..Bh7] 20.Ng4 Qb6 21.a5 Qxb2 22.Rg3 Ne6 23.Nxh6+ Kh7 24.Nxf7±

If you want admittedly only security, play rather "ladiesgambit"... Smiley

IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #98 - 03/31/05 at 07:22:58
Post Tools
Quote:
Interesting analysis from Rajmund. Though I am not convinced of White's advantage after 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 (Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit) exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nf7 Bxd1 10.Nxd8 Kxd8 11.Rxd1 Nd5 12.Re1 Kd7 13.Rf1 Ke8 14.Bd2 Be7 15.Rae1 Nc7 16.Bxe6 Nxe6 17.Rxe6 Kd7.
But maybe White can improve with 14.Bg5
A1) 14...h6 15.Bd2! (the pawn on h6 benefits White) Be7 16.Rae1 Nc7 17.Bf4 Nba6 18.Bxa6 Nxa6 19.Rxe6 Kd7 20.Rg6! (that is why).
A2) 14...Be7 15.Bxe7 Kxe7 16.Rae1 Nc7 17.Ne4 seems to favour White as well.

A1) - I'd enough agree. (perhaps even better: 18.Be5!?)
A2) - but I'd somewhat jar, after 17...Nd7 18.Ng5 Raf8 = I see only a equalization - the move 14.Bg5(?!) arrange a rate to development Be7!

IP Logged

M.Nieuweboer

Reply #97 - 03/26/05 at 22:59:14
Post Tools
Two other remarks:
Rajmund does not mention Tzanidakis' idea 7.o-o Bg6!?
7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Bd6 10.Nf4 Bxd6 11.Bxf4 Nd5 12.Bc1 (or 12.Bd2) h6 13.Nf3 (what sense does 8.Ng5 make then?) o-o 14.a4 Nd7 15.Ra3 and now c5! =+ at least.

IP Logged

M.Nieuweboer

Reply #96 - 03/26/05 at 21:55:28
Post Tools
Alas Rajmund has not incorporated my comments on 9.Nxf7 above.

IP Logged

M.Nieuweboer

Reply #95 - 03/26/05 at 21:52:28
Post Tools
BDG'ers must be the most optimistic chessplayers in the universe. According to PS Black will be quickly crushed after 1.d4 d5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.e4 dxe4 4.Nf3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bd3 g6 7.Be3 Bg7 8.Qd2. He proves this with one sample line.
So I have some questions.
What is wrong with 8...Bg4 9.o-o Nbd7!? Sure White has compensation, but a winning advantage? Don't think so.
8...o-o 9.o-o-o and again Bg4!?
And the final position: 8...o-o 9.o-o-o Nd5 10.Nxd5 cxd5 11.h4 Nc6 12.h5 Qa5 and again there is no quick crush in sight.
And to answer PS' questions: the idea of 5...c6 is to prepare 6...Bf5 and avoid tricks against b7, as in 5...Bf5 6.Ne5 e6 7.g4. One might also argue, that in the Bogoljubow Defense c7-c6 is a useful move, while the bishop on d3 is not on it's ideal square.

IP Logged

Patrik Schoupal

Reply #94 - 03/25/05 at 13:54:06
Post Tools
And for Lev Zilbermint:
1 d4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 f3 ef3 5 Nxf3 g6 6 Bc4 Bg7 7 00 00 8 h3! yes, this idea is remarkable, but...
7.0-0 Bg4! is the very best continuation transposing to drawish Qe1 vs Nc6, Bg4 setup lines. It is a very subtle thing but it actually works for black. Would I play BDG in my corr. play, I will pick up 6.Bf4!? Long-Bogo line suggested by Rajmund here
http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/ec_ena_bo.htm
For OTB chess, I would go for classical Studier Attack probably crushing my opponent in 30 moves.
Patrik

IP Logged

Patrik Schoupal

Reply #93 - 03/25/05 at 13:46:59
Post Tools
Friends, at last! See http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/ec_ena_alch.htm
with the Alchemy Variant Revival!

And yes, there is also a mistake corrected in Lemberger counter at
http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/horizon.htm

Looking forward to your comments...
Patrik

IP Logged

Patrik Schoupal

Reply #92 - 03/25/05 at 12:40:41
Post Tools
Dear friends,
   It is pleasure for me to send this reaction to Teyko´s suggestion of 6.Bd3 in 5.Nxf3 c6 Ziegler Variation. I hope it will give some fresh new insights in the line and that we can together reach a conlusion whether this line is playable or not. It seems to me for now that it is almost playable. Of course, I´m speaking from a viewpoint of high-level correspondence play (and in view of 7..Bxf3!? continuation below), for over the board chess, this variation is sufficient enough as it gives good practical chances and is easy to learn.

With best wishes
Patrik Schoupal a.k.a. Sevenviolets

BDG Ziegler defence [D00] 5..c6 6.Bd3!?
[Patrik Schoupal]

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6

[3...c6 4.f3! (4.Nxe4 This is a normal Caro Kann.) 4...exf3 (4...Nf6!?) 5.Nxf3 Transposes into the main line.]

4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6

This line is called Ziegler defence. It is considered to be one of the most solid systems against BDG (in addition to e.g. Euwe def., Lemberger Countergambit and Vienna def.). It resembles Caro Kann defence. First, let me think about this move for a while. What does it do? What ideas lie behind it? Black´s plan is (based on experience) Bf5, e6, Be7, 0–0. But why is he playing c6, when  he can simply play Bf5, e6, Be7 immediately? Is he simply waiting to learn more about how white is going to develop his pieces?  It resembles not only Caro-Kann but also some kind of Slav def. (if e6 would be played) or some position from Qa5 Scandinavian as black has this possibility now. Let see what white can play now.

6.Bd3 This move prevents black to play Bf5.  6...Bg4 The most logical move though there are not much alternatives.

[a) 6...e6?! Now, Bc8 bishop is "bad". White has compensation for a pawn. There is plenty of possibilities e.g. 7.Bg5 or 7.0–0. 7.Bg5 Qb6 8.Qd2 Offering yet another pawn for deadly development advantage. 8...Qxb2?! (8...Nbd7 9.0–0–0© with compensation.) 9.Rb1 Qa3 10.Rb3 Qa5 11.0–0 Nbd7 12.Qf4 White has all pieces ready to attack. Black´s king  is stuck in the middle. Just  little example: 12...h6 13.Bxf6 Nxf6 14.Ne5 Be7 15.g4!? 0–0 (15...Qd8 16.h4 Rf8 17.g5 hxg5 18.hxg5 Nh5 19.Qg4 Bxg5 20.Nxf7 Nf6 21.Qxg5 Qxd4+ 22.Kg2 Kxf7 23.Bg6+ Ke7 (23...Kg8 24.Ne4+-) 24.Bh5+-) 16.g5 hxg5 17.Qxg5 c5 18.Rf3 Qd8 (18...cxd4 19.Rg3+-) 19.Ne2 Ne4 20.Qh5 Ng5 21.Rg3+-;

b) 6...g6?! Can black play such slow-paced chess without being punished with quick crush? No. 
7.Be3 Of course there are other possibilities including 0–0. 7...Bg7 (7...Ng4 8.Bf4 Bg7 9.h3 Nf6 is no problem.) 8.Qd2 0–0 9.0–0–0 Nd5 10.Nxd5 cxd5 11.h4! followed by h5.]

7.0–0

[7.h3 Bh5 (7...Bxf3 8.Qxf3 and white has good compensation. Compare with 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 where white is usually playing 7.Be3 classical main line or 7.g4 Hara-Kiri variation. Here, 7.Bd3!? is rarely played, transposing to this line. 8...Qxd4 9.Be3© with compensation.) 8.0–0 a) 8.g4?! Bg6 Now, black seems to be OK, although the position remains unclear. 9.0–0 Nbd7!? (9...e6?! transposes to 8.0–0; 9...Bxd3 10.Qxd3) ; b) 8.Be3 e6 9.0–0 Bd6 10.g4 Bg6; 8...e6 (8...Bxf3? 9.Qxf3 Qxd4+ 10.Be3© with compensation.) 9.g4 Bg6 10.g5 Nfd7 (10...Nd5 11.Bxg6 hxg6 12.Ne5 f5 13.Nxd5 Qxd5 14.c4±) 11.Bf4 Na6 (11...Qb6 12.a3 Be7 13.Qd2 Bxd3 14.Qxd3©) 12.a3 Be7 13.Ne4 c5 unclear.; 7.Be3 e6! (7...Qb6 8.Qd2 Bxf3 9.gxf3 Nbd7 10.0–0–0 e6 11.Rhg1 Nd5 12.Nxd5 cxd5 unclear.) ]

7...e6

[7...Bxf3!N Teyko, what´s your continuation here? 8.Qxf3 Qxd4+ 9.Be3 Qg4 10.Qf2 with some compensation but probably not enough.]

8.Be3

[8.h3!? Teyko´s suggestion. Introductory move to the Curry Attack. 8...Bh5 (8...Bxf3 9.Qxf3 Qxd4+ (9...Be7 10.Be3 0–0 11.g4 with attack.) 10.Be3 well, seems like having compensation.) 9.g4 Bg6 10.g5 Nfd7 11.Nh4! Well, the "Curry Attack" variation, proposed by Teyko. Let´s see how black can face it. 11...Bxd3 Why not? 12.Qxd3 Now, there are some threats on kingside.  12...Be7!? Perhaps this is the only playable move for black. I let Teyko pleasure to refute it himself. I´m looking forward to his response.

a) 12...Bd6?! 13.Ne4 Bc7 and black position seems weird. I wonder if there is anybody who will prefer playing black now. 14.g6!! f6 (14...Qxh4 15.Bg5+-) 15.gxh7 (15.Qb3!? is also winning.) 15...Nf8 16.Ng6!! Nxg6 17.Nxf6+ gxf6 18.Qxg6+ Kd7 19.Rxf6 Kc8 20.Rxe6 with attack.;

b) 12...Na6?! with a plan to castle queenside. 13.Qf3 Qe7 14.Ne4 0–0–0 15.Qxf7 Qxf7 16.Rxf7 e5 17.Nf5 white seems to be better.; ]

8...Nbd7

[8...Bd6 9.Qe1 Bxf3 10.Rxf3 Nbd7 11.Qh4 transposing into the main line!]

9.Qe1 in fashion of Bogoljubow Studier attack. 9...Bxf3 10.Rxf3 Bd6 11.Qh4 Nd5 12.Qg4 N7f6

[12...Nxe3!? 13.Qxg7 Rf8 14.Ne4 (14.Rxe3 Qb6 15.Rae1 0–0–0 16.Bxh7÷ unclear.) 14...Nf5 (14...Bxh2+ 15.Kxh2 Qc7+ 16.Kg1 (16.g3 Nf5 17.Rxf5 exf5 18.Nf6+ Nxf6 19.Qxf6 Rg8 20.Re1+ Kf8) 16...Nf5 17.Nf6+ Nxf6 18.Qxf6 Qe7 19.Qxe7+ Nxe7 20.Bxh7=) 15.Rxf5 Bxh2+ 16.Kxh2 Qh4+ 17.Kg1 exf5 18.Nd6+ Kd8 19.Nxf5 Qf6 20.Qg3 h5 21.c3÷ unclear.]

13.Qxg7 Rg8 14.Nxd5 Rxg7 15.Nxf6+ Ke7 16.Bh6 Qh8 17.Raf1 Rg6 18.Bxg6 hxg6 19.Bg5 Bxh2+ 20.Kf2 Bc7 21.Ke2+- Line

P.S.
1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bd3 Bg4 7.0-0 Bxf3! 8.Qxf3 Qxd4+ 9.Be3 Qg4 10.Qf2 and now 10..e6 11.h3 Qh5 12.Ne4 Nbd7! 13.Rad1 Be7! and despite the fact that white´s pieces are developed and well and actively placed, black position seems to be secure enough. Worse is 12..Nxe4?! 13.Bxe4 Nbd7 14.Rad1 Bc5? which offers some tactical fireworks for white after 15.Rxd7! Bxe3 16.Qxe3 Kxd7 17.g4 Qb5 18.c4! and white is winning here, believe or not. Still, 14..0-0-0!? seems to be o.k. here. I hope I reproduced these lines correctly because I´m putting them down by hearth.

IP Logged

Patrik Schoupal

Reply #91 - 03/25/05 at 06:15:49
Post Tools
Hello Friends,
   I´m really looking forward to our discussion. I´m very looking forward to check Teyko´s line with Bd3 against Ziegler as I did analyse it time ago myself. And yes, there is a great deal of work which Rajmund Emanuel did over the Alchemy Variant during last two month. His analysis are pretty convincing for me. Especially in 9..c5 Leisebein´s line in the Alchemy. I guess analysis will soon occur here. Maybe some good signs over the Alchemy (and BDG) sky. Kasparov quitted, Fischer is released. Smiley
  Yes. I agree, that three most important lines against BDG are Euwe def. and Bogo and Ziegler defence. If there will be proof of evidence that there is an advantage in all these three lines then we can say "BDG is correct".  No sooner we can do this. I´m interested in Zilbermint´s suggestion with h3 (see above). Also Rajmund suggested his "Long-Bogo" variation with 0-0-0. Euwe with Zilbermint´s attack is really complex but can prove worthy.
Patrik a.k.a. Sevenviolets

IP Logged

M.Nieuweboer

Reply #90 - 03/24/05 at 22:46:06
Post Tools
Interesting analysis from Rajmund. Though I am not convinced of White's advantage after 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 (Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit) exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nf7 Bxd1 10.Nxd8 Kxd8 11.Rxd1 Nd5 12.Re1 Kd7 13.Rf1 Ke8 14.Bd2 Be7 15.Rae1 Nc7 16.Bxe6 Nxe6 17.Rxe6 Kd7.
But maybe White can improve with 14.Bg5
A1) 14...h6 15.Bd2! (the pawn on h6 benefits White) Be7 16.Rae1 Nc7 17.Bf4 Nba6 18.Bxa6 Nxa6 19.Rxe6 Kd7 20.Rg6! (that is why).
A2) 14...Be7 15.Bxe7 Kxe7 16.Rae1 Nc7 17.Ne4 seems to favour White as well.

IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #89 - 03/24/05 at 08:30:45
Post Tools
Hi researchers.
I think, that at Easter arrives revival Alchemy variant. Smiley.. Is is a lot for white (with +/-) very difficult, but only yet possible.
Today only smallness in variant 9.Nxf7 Bxd1, which is for white don't so complex "with advantages".

MNb on page 3 wrote:

I agree with Michael, that g6 is the perfect square for the queen's bishop.
Regarding 8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7 nobody mentioned yet Bxd1!? 10.Nxd8 Kxd8 11.Rxd1 Nd5 12.Re1
A)12...Bb4 13.Rxe6 Nxc3 14.bxc3 Bxc3 15.Bg5 Kd7 16.Re7+ Kd6 17.Rd1 b5!? Dowling-Belopolsky,1989.
B) 12...Kd7 13.Rf1 Ke8 14.Bg5 h6 15.Bf4 Motta-Suits, Missoula 1990.
Both games ended in a draw. So if 9.Nxf7 is best, that is not really an argument pro BDG.

Nevertheless in both games White could play better:

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 (Ziegler Defense) 7.0-0 e6 8.Ng5 (Alchemy variant) 8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7 Bxd1 10.Nxd8 Kxd8 11.Rxd1 Nd5 12.Re1

A 12...Bb4 13.Rxe6 Nxc3 14.a3! (14.bxc3=) 14...Bxa3 (14...Be7 15.bxc3 Rf8 16.Ra2+/-) 15.Rxa3 Nd5 16.Rg3+-

B 12...Kd7 13.Rf1 Na6 (13...Ke8 14.Bd2! (14.Bg5?! Be7!) 14...Be7 15.Rae1 Nxc3 16.bxc3 Rf8 17.Rxf8+ Kxf8 18.Bxe6+/-) 14.Rf7+ Be7 15.Nxd5 cxd5 16.Bg5 dxc4 17.Rxe7++/-]

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves
are the less complicated"

Reply #88 - 03/02/05 at 17:44:56
Post Tools
"The curry attack", hot and spicy Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #87 - 03/01/05 at 21:39:40
Post Tools
I have warned you, Teyko, that you were asking for trouble! No, I am not going to repeat earlier posts like Markovich has done, with one exception:

1.d4 Nf6 2.f3 c5! and Black has good chances of taking over the initiave. White has not much better than transposing to an inferior version - that is to say, inferior for White - of the Benoni.

Neither am I going to repeat analysis Schiller has published on his website Unorthodox Openings, where he analyses 7...Nc6 fairly deep - including some of LDZ's creative ideas.
But LDZ, I am interested in your games with that 7...Nc6 - in another thread please. You see, I always found it an intriguing question if White can play the BDG against the French - if Black takes on e4. There are some transpositions.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #86 - 03/01/05 at 13:08:32
Post Tools
Quote:
In the above line I believe that white could play 10.Bd3 immediately. White can't take the bishop because of the mate on f7, and 10...Qxd4 is easily met with 11.Bxg6 Qxe5+ 12. Be4 and now where can black's knight go?

Good grief!!!  Must we go around and around and around and around this same, tiresome mulberry bush?  Below is a verbatim quote of the analysis Bonsai posted in the thread (now fairly old) on the so-called "Gunderam Defense," and to which I pointed in my earlier post on this thread.

I would have thought that you'd have dealt with this before claiming how hunky dory 10. Bd3 is.

Quotation of Bonsai begins.

1. d4 d5 2. e4 dxe4 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 Bf5 6. Ne5 e6 7. g4 Bg6 8.Qf3 c6 9. g5 Nh5 10. Bd3 Qxd4 11. Bxg6 Qxe5+ 12. Be4 Why on earth would black let white get the kind of attacking chances he gets in the main game? It seems more sensible to keep white from getting too much play with 12...Bb4, doesn't it? 

A. 13. Bd2 Bxc3 14. Bxc3 Qxg5 doesn't look great for white.

B. 13. O-O f5 14. Qxh5+ g6 15. Qf3 Bxc3 16. bxc3 Qxe4 17. Qxe4 fxe4 18. Rf6 Nd7 19. Rxe6+ Kf7 20. Rxe4 Rhe8 This endgame is clearly better for black, but maybe white can draw it.

Quotation of Bonsai ends.

As for 7...Ne4, why would Black want to seek complications when he's a pawn up in a position with no weaknesses?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Lev D. Zilbermints

Reply #85 - 03/01/05 at 08:35:05
Post Tools
Okay...  Now let us see if I have this right. The Bogoljubow Defense, the Ziegler Defense and the Hubsch Gambit are touted as good defenses to the BDG.
I will deal with these in descending order.

First, you can score points against the Bogo in the following line: 1 d4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 f3 ef3 5 Nxf3 g6 6 Bc4 Bg7 7 00 00 8 h3!  This stops ...Bg4 and prepares the standard Studier Attack.

Secondly, the Ziegler. I think that it has been discussed back and forth here.

Third, the Hubsch. I always play 1 d4 Nf6  2 f3 to avoid the pesky Hubsch Gambit.

Fourth, you talk of 7...Nc6 in the Euwe Defense.  Yes, it does hold up. I have played many games with it, and won. Care to share games?

Lev

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #84 - 02/28/05 at 22:49:54
Post Tools
Quote:
Stating that Black has only two ways to equalize against the BGD is not asking for peace, but for trouble.
I would love to see White reaching equality in the Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit (the correct name for the Ziegler Defense). But the debate on the Alchemy Variation has so far come to the conclusion, that White's compensation is rather vague in the end - Black has good refuting chances.
As far as I can see, Black has also equality at least in the 5...Bf5 6.Ne5 e6 7.g4 Ne4!? piece sac variation.
Finally there is the Euwe Defence with Nc6 - and this is asking for a reaction of LDZ, as he has proposed to give a second pawn on d4.
This are already four variations for Black, in which White faces difficulties. I do not rule out the possibility, that there are more.
Welcome back, Teyko. Your posts are always a pleasure to read and irresistible to react on.

I love you too MNB. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my first post. I should have said that the three most problematic variations in which compensation for the pawn is most unclear is the Bogo, the Ziegler and the Variation of the Hubsch advocated by GM Prie.

Secondly, I believe the Zilbermints gambit in the Nc6 lines actually hold up. After some extensive analysis it seems to pan out.

Thirdly, in the variation you were speaking of in the piece sac line, white is winning if you are talking about the main line where 12. a3!! was discovered, but if you are talking about the line you sent me months prior I believe that white was slightly better if black does not take the draw by repetition. I believe you argued that your queen side pawns would win it, but I believed that the open lines and the two bishops gave me plenty of chances for an attack.

Fourthly, zeigler variation is well met by 6. Bd3!. This is Stummer's move, and can be worked out in whites favor, if you ignore his games.

Okay, I am going to post some of my personal analysis here, against my better judgement, GM Prie if you are watching I totally want credit for this novelty. Maybe call it Teyko's Tempo or the curry attack.

[White "Stummer Attack"]
[Black "Junior 9"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6 6. Bd3 Bg4 7. O-O e6 8. h3 Bh5 9. g4 Bg6 10. g5!? Nfd7 11. Nh4!

I will extend the analysis as the board replies.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #83 - 02/28/05 at 21:35:54
Post Tools
Stating that Black has only two ways to equalize against the BGD is not asking for peace, but for trouble.
I would love to see White reaching equality in the Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit (the correct name for the Ziegler Defense). But the debate on the Alchemy Variation has so far come to the conclusion, that White's compensation is rather vague in the end - Black has good refuting chances.
As far as I can see, Black has also equality at least in the 5...Bf5 6.Ne5 e6 7.g4 Ne4!? piece sac variation.
Finally there is the Euwe Defence with Nc6 - and this is asking for a reaction of LDZ, as he has proposed to give a second pawn on d4.
This are already four variations for Black, in which White faces difficulties. I do not rule out the possibility, that there are more.
Welcome back, Teyko. Your posts are always a pleasure to read and irresistible to react on.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #82 - 02/28/05 at 17:46:09
Post Tools
Quote:
After the following moves,
1. d4 d5 2. e4 dxe4 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 Bf5 6. Ne5 e6 7. g4 Bg6 8. Qf3 c6 9. g5 Nh5,
teyko wrote:

This is an interesting variation, but does White really have 2 pawns worth of compensation after 12...g6?

I believe so. I mean white is actually only down a pawn, and I think in the variation

[White "J., Tommy"]
[Black "Junior 9"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 Bf5 6. Ne5 e6 7. g4 Bg6 8. Qf3 c6 9. g5 Nh5 10. Bd3 Qxd4 11. Bxg6 Qxe5+ 12. Be4 g6 13. Rf1!? white is doing well.

13...Bb4 14.Be3!

13...f5 14.gxf6 Kf7 15.Bd2 with the idea of castling. White has to be better in this position.

I only know of two variations that seem to test the Blacmar Diemar Gambit. I have spent hours analyzing this thing, and to be very honest. White is just equal in the best lines. In the Bogolijubov defense white gets his pawn back and the lines are just equal. In grand master Prie's lines of the Hubsch white is just equal, with equal material, and in the zeigler white has the initiative, but is just equal.

I have recently taken up the scotch and found that there are positions that I would be down a pawn with the attack than equal and defending black's initiative. I suppose it is a matter of taste, but the Blackmar Diemar Gambit is not dead, or in trouble. It just bothers people that you can give up a pawn from move two and attack the hell out of them. But as I have said in the 3 previous lines, a draw is a probable outcome, but how is that not true in most analyzed openings.

If you guys want some analysis or to chat hit me at Teyko@mchsi.com, or ICC under teyko.

Peace.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #81 - 02/25/05 at 10:59:48
Post Tools
After the following moves,
1. d4 d5 2. e4 dxe4 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 Bf5 6. Ne5 e6 7. g4 Bg6 8. Qf3 c6 9. g5 Nh5,
teyko wrote:

Quote:
In the above line I believe that white could play 10.Bd3 immediately. White can't take the bishop because of the mate on f7, and 10...Qxd4 is easily met with 11.Bxg6 Qxe5+ 12. Be4 and now where can black's knight go?

This is an interesting variation, but does White really have 2 pawns worth of compensation after 12...g6?

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #80 - 02/25/05 at 00:50:01
Post Tools
Quote:
1. d4 d5  2. e4 dxe4  3. Nc3 Nf6  4. f3 exf3  5. Nxf3 Bf5  (of course technically this shouldn't be in the Ziegler thread) 6. Ne5 e6  7. g4 Bg6 8. Qf3 c6  9. g5 Nh5 10.Be3 Nd7 12.Nxg6 hxg6

Here I would have thought that White had full compensation for his pawn.  I think White should start with 13.Bd3 to discourage ...f6 breaks then castle kingside.  He can pressure f7 and may follow with Rf2/Raf1 and/or advance his queenside pawns if Black were to castle ...0-0-0.

IP Logged

Lev D. Zilbermints

Reply #79 - 02/24/05 at 17:53:49
Post Tools
Quote:
1. d4 d5  2. e4 dxe4  3. Nc3 Nf6  4. f3 exf3  5. Nxf3 Bf5  (of course technically this shouldn't be in the Ziegler thread) 6. Ne5 e6  7. g4 Bg6 8. Qf3 c6  9. g5 Nh5 10.Be3 Nd7 12.Nxg6 hxg6

Here I would have thought that White had full compensation for his pawn.  I think White should start with 13.Bd3 to discourage ...f6 breaks then castle kingside.  He can pressure f7 and may follow with Rf2/Raf1 and/or advance his queenside pawns if Black were to castle ...0-0-0.

Here is my first Internet Chess Club game with the Alchemy Variation.

Zilbermints - DanZ
5 0 rated blitz
Internet Chess Club
February 19, 2005

1 d4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 f3 ef3 5 Nxf3 c6 6 Bc4 Bf5  7 00 e6 8 Ng5 Bxc2 9 Nxf7! Bxd1 10 Nxd8  Kxd8          11 Rxd1 Nd5  12 Ne4  Nd7  13 Ng5 Ke7  14 Re1  Kf6     15 Rxe6+  Kf5  16 Bd3+  Kg4  17 h3+  Kh5  18 Be2+  Kh4  19 Re4+  1-0

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #78 - 02/03/05 at 23:58:36
Post Tools
1. d4 d5  2. e4 dxe4  3. Nc3 Nf6  4. f3 exf3  5. Nxf3 Bf5  (of course technically this shouldn't be in the Ziegler thread) 6. Ne5 e6  7. g4 Bg6 8. Qf3 c6  9. g5 Nh5 10.Be3 Nd7 12.Nxg6 hxg6

Here I would have thought that White had full compensation for his pawn.  I think White should start with 13.Bd3 to discourage ...f6 breaks then castle kingside.  He can pressure f7 and may follow with Rf2/Raf1 and/or advance his queenside pawns if Black were to castle ...0-0-0.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #77 - 02/01/05 at 15:54:33
Post Tools
It seems to me that the closest thing to truth in the BDG is 1. d4 d5  2. e4 dxe4  3. Nc3 Nf6  4. f3 exf3  5. Nxf3 Bf5  (I know that there are ways to go, but why would Black forego this obvious developing move?)  6. Ne5 e6  7. g4 Bg6 (Why invite complications when you're a pawn up with no weaknesses?)  8. Qf3 c6  9. g5 Nh5.  Now unless he has something pretty concrete, I suggest that White has about half a pawn's worth of compensation for his pawn.  10. Bd3 looks dicey due to 10...Qxd5  11. Bxg6 Qxe5+  12. Be4 and now Black has 12...Bb4 as pointed out and analysed by Bonsai in the thread on the "Gunderam Defense" (which is what 5...Bf5 is called by BDG devotees).  Also there, I pointed out that the slower 10. Be3 meets with 10...Nbd7  11. Nxg6 hxg6 and Black's position is quite solid, for example, 12. 0-0-0 Bd6  13. Ne4 Bc7, which is how I won a game in a recent U.S. Absolute CC Championship.

These are not ideas that would be difficult for Black to find in speed chess, so I am left wondering where the BDG beef is.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #76 - 01/30/05 at 18:12:54
Post Tools
See the thing is, not even grandmasters know which variations are good, which are bad, and which are completely busted. When I played GM Henrik Danielsen last year he chose the Bogoljubow defence. Stupid as I was I refrained from playing 6.Bc4 because it has been busted (but what is the chance that he would know of that bust, probably he faces the BDG once a year). So instead I chose 6.Bf4, but of course he did not castle kingside into the Dragonkiller. Still I got a reasonable position and only lost due to later errors.

However, this is not the reason I gave up the BDG. The reason was that less good players tend to play more careful, and there is one line that is very careful which also happens to be Black's best defence. 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 c6 and now what do you do?
5.fxe4 e5! is only equal and in a very boring way (McGrews articles on chesscafe where full of holes)5.Nxe4 Bf5 is a bad Caro-Kann,
5.Bc4 Bf5 is a bad version of the Vienna defence.

I could not break the Ziegler defence 4...exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 or the Tartakower-Gunderam 5...Bf5 either. I have tried the "Alchemy variation" a few times in blitz. I think it works there but a 2h/40 against someone who knows how to defend - no way!

Using computer engines only makes things worse. They tend to find the "only" moves for Black that defend, while always trying to regain material for White which is most likely to yield a bad endgame.

Still, when I play blitz or meet someone rated below 1900 the BDG works fine.

IP Logged

Lev D. Zilbermints

Reply #75 - 01/30/05 at 17:30:37
Post Tools
First, I thought that the line was 5...Bf5 , not 5...c6 .
Secondly, I did not "recommend" the Alchemy Variation.
I merely suggested that you try it if you know the line better than I do. Third, I am not convinced that the Alchemy Variation is that great against 5...c6 , but am willing to reserve judgment in lieu of further results.
And last, against 5...c6 one might try A) 6 Bc4 trying to transpose to regular 5...Bf5 lines or B) 6 Bg5 . The latter I am not sure of... but have seen some games with it.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #74 - 01/29/05 at 21:34:27
Post Tools
In this thread it became clear, that the Alchemy Variation is White's only chance after 5...c6.
<You need to focus more on the Alchemy Variation>
Why does LDZ recommend this, if he does not play it himself?

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Lev D. Zilbermints

Reply #73 - 01/29/05 at 15:22:15
Post Tools
I do not play the Alchemy Variation to begin with. If you want to look at that line, go ahead. My preference is either 6 Ne5 or 6 Bc4 (after 5...Bf5) .

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #72 - 01/26/05 at 21:04:05
Post Tools
I have to agree with MNB on this one Lev D. Zilbermints.
The variation that Markovich is talking about specifically is not covered very well in the BDG handbook. I have both and the games are not very convincing. THe DMC has given some variations that look much more promising and in fact are more concrete answers to his concerns.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #71 - 01/26/05 at 05:29:03
Post Tools
"Why don't you pick up a copy of Rev. Timothy Sawyer's Blackmar- Diemer Gambit Keybook II"
If the quality of (lack of) analysis and evaluation is the same as in Keybook I, you'd better save your money.
"The reason?"
Here we are interested in the truth about variations, not about tricking our opponents with some highly dubious play.
So it makes no sense, to make difference between "OTB" and "correspondence" analysis. BTW, I mainly play the latter.
LDZ might better reflect on the analysis on the Alchemy Variation provided at this site - at the moment it looks insufficient for White.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Lev D. Zilbermints

Reply #70 - 01/26/05 at 01:43:15
Post Tools
This is nonsense, guys. You keep talking about the Tartakower-Gunderan Defense, 5...Bf5 , as if it was something so special. Why don't you pick up a copy of Rev. Timothy Sawyer's Blackmar- Diemer Gambit Keybook II (Pickard & Son, Publishers 1999) in any decent bookstore? Barnes and Nobles? Or order it through the USCF catalogue?

All these lines can be easily found in old issues of Blackmar-Diemer Gambit World Magazine, 1983-1998.
You need to focus more on the Alchemy Variation and less on lines that are already well-known.

I must point out that all your analyses are great for correspondence chess, where you have DAYS to analyse. In over-the-board chess, it is a vastly different story.

So, when you analyze, specify if this is for correspondence or OTB play. The reason? Most players in OTB play  won't find a lot of these variations.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #69 - 12/20/04 at 14:45:09
Post Tools
Quote:
Markovich,

The name of that variation is the Tartakower-Gunderam, and if you think that Black has a chance in these lines you are sadly mistaken.

On this site, you are encouraged to give lines, if you can't or won't do that your posts will not be given much credence here.

I did give 5...Bf5 in the post you cite, and elsewhere on this site I have once or twice given 6. Ne5 e6  7. g4 Bg6  8. Qf3 c6  9. g5 Nh5 with the claim =+.  Black's knight is not so inactive on h5.  I played the Black side of this in the U.S. Absolute C.C. Champ. a few years back and had no trouble winning. 

I'm not sure that a line would matter very much even if I gave it, since it's just a chess game where White is a pawn down with a little compensation.   But I think I recall that in my game, play continued 10. Be3 Nd7.  That takes us to move 11.  Maybe those who uphold this gambit can show me how I am "sadly mistaken" about Black's chances here. 

"Tartakover-Gunderam," eh?  I think I'll stick with "bishop eff five."  Easier to say, and to remember.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #68 - 12/18/04 at 09:28:07
Post Tools
Markovich,

The name of that variation is the Tartakower-Gunderam, and if you think that Black has a chance in these lines you are sadly mistaken.

On this site, you are encouraged to give lines, if you can't or won't do that your posts will not be given much credence here.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #67 - 12/17/04 at 23:58:15
Post Tools
Quote:
I am stunned!   Shocked  The variations look good...quite impressive!

I am again without a defense against the BDG.

Oh, dear me!  What to play against the DREAD Blackmar-Diemer?  Shall it be Ziegfield's Folly, or the foul-smelling Limburger?

For Pete's sake, just play 2...dxe4  3. Nc3 Nf6  4. f3 exf3  5. Nxf3 Bf5 (I have no idea what BGD afficionadoes, who adorn every idea of Black's with a grandiose name, call this move).  Play chess.  You have a pawn and no weaknesses.  Maneuver, simplify, win. 

If 2. e4 is good, 2. c4 is crap.  Does anyone really believe that?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #66 - 12/16/04 at 11:36:34
Post Tools
Yes Bonsai it does.
I have made a personal decision not to post anymore analysis on the board because it seems to me that it is unfair and not very prudent for Blackmar Diemar specialists and players to put all their hard work on the forums where anyone without a subscription can just pull it off and play.

I hope that perhaps GM Prie could oblige the Blackmar Diemar players here and have us send him he analysis were he can remark upon the finding in an update. In this way we can still present our analysis monthly and he would not have to find games.

Just email me Bonsai, and I will give you the moves and send you some pgn.

Teyko@mchsi.com

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #65 - 12/16/04 at 06:02:36
Post Tools
Quote:
These guys are the bomb, and by the way it has been established for almost a decade that 6.Bc4 is inferior because of Bf5.

We are reinventing the wheel guys. The Pape Attack in volume 52 and Stummer's attack in Volume 59 deserve attention.

What are those then? Not everyone has a BDG world cd lying around Wink.

Does the cd also offer analysis beyond what we have discussed here as to why 6.Bc4 is inferior?

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #64 - 12/15/04 at 23:56:37
Post Tools
I feel like a complete idiot. After having the Blackmar Diemar Gambit world cd for almost 6 months, I never thought to look at it seriously until now.

These guys are the bomb, and by the way it has been established for almost a decade that 6.Bc4 is inferior because of Bf5.

We are reinventing the wheel guys. The Pape Attack in volume 52 and Stummer's attack in Volume 59 deserve attention.

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #63 - 12/15/04 at 18:09:35
Post Tools
I have run into the same problem in the Bogo, but I believe that I have found a line that gives a small advantage because of the compromised pawn structure of Black, and you get a pawn back. Email me at Teyko@mchsi.com and we can discuss it.

IP Logged

Sevenviolets

Reply #62 - 12/15/04 at 12:29:50
Post Tools
Hi Teyko, hi friends,
  I´m sorry, unfortunately I have so little time nowadays as I´m finishing my B.C. degree thesis and also working as tournament director of a Trinec OPEN 2004 FIDE tournament. It is a lot of work. And no time to analyse anything. Unfortunately, Rajmund and I have thought that Alchemy line is in BIG danger. Too many lines aren´t working properly to be it only a coincidence. The crisis of BDG has come nowadays as also the Bogoljubow line is threatened by Nc6, Bg4 setup. Leisebein´s 10.Ne2!? doesn´t seem to be working. It is = when black playing the best moves. There might be some line in the Alchemy, of course, which can save the day but it would be very, very difficult to find it... if there is any. But nothing is lost, I analysed one Bogo position for over 3 days some time ago and I was almost convinced that white has only = here but after 3 days of really hard work I´ve finally found the line. So, there might be "saving a day" line in the Alchemy, but since now, it is in danger. Of course, for OTB play it is completely playable. I mean for high-level correspondence chess. Hope I will have better news next time.
Patrik

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #61 - 12/13/04 at 10:35:22
Post Tools
Still no word on the Alchemy Variation. I hurts and I believe that I may give up the Blackmar Diemar Gambit because it is evident that it is busted.

Come on I am just playing. Just wondered if patrik posted yet.

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #60 - 12/03/04 at 07:51:37
Post Tools
Quote:
Some other food for thought: compare
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qd8 4.d4 Nf6 5.Bc4 c6 6.Nf3 Bf5
with 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5.

Well I 've seen variations in the Scandinavian that according on the move order we reach the same position with one tempo lost for black (in comparison with one another) Well I don't see any point of adopting the second try, BDG, if you know that your opponent will play this line of the Scandinavian, as except for the open f-file you don't have any other compensation for the pawn. Not even a tempo  Sad

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #59 - 12/03/04 at 07:39:31
Post Tools
Quote:
I do not quite see how 5...Bf5 6.Ne5 c6 7.g4 Be6 8.g5 Be6xh1 is possible.

Well in my 7..Be6 we cannot capture the rook obviously but that was not the purpose. The most defensive systems I suggest are based on keeping the pawn while we have a nice position. Well this variation must be cursed as in the three previous posts no one was able to write it correctly  Grin 7..Be4?!

Now if in your original post you meant 7..Be6 8.g5 I did not understand it as Nd5 with Be6 has 3/3 different letters  Grin In that case 8..Nd5 9.Ne4 Nbd7 black is ok and can even develop like Qc7, g6, Bg7 or in the usual way

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #58 - 12/02/04 at 22:19:26
Post Tools
I do not quite see how 5...Bf5 6.Ne5 c6 7.g4 Be6 8.g5 Be6xh1 is possible.
Some other food for thought: compare
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qd8 4.d4 Nf6 5.Bc4 c6 6.Nf3 Bf5
with 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5.

Response to Bonsai, 30-11:
Variation A1: <8.Ng5 Bg6 .......... 18.Qf1 b5 19.Bxb5 Rxe6 20.Rxe6 Kxe6 21.Bxc6 Bd6 22.Bg5, why do you think black cannot simply play 22...Qxd4?>
23.Re1+ Kf7 24.Be3 and Fritz' evaluation goes down, which is usually a sign, that the gambiteer has long term compensation. The centralized Black king and the passive Black rook do not feel good.
Variation A2: in general I agree, though some might argue that the pair of bishop's, the half open f-file and the slight dominance in the centre offer some compensation. But I must admit that Bg6 (again) is a very strong defender.
Variation B: 8.Ng5 Bxc2 and there seems to be concensus that White must be satisfied with
the transposition and play 9.Nxf7 in stead of 9.Qe2.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #57 - 12/02/04 at 21:26:00
Post Tools
I think you mean 7..Be4?! (my evaluation) and not 7..Nd5?? well 7..Be4?! is dubious cause I see no reason trading our beautiful bishop for that knight. After playing 6..c6 my intention was after 7.g4 Be6, something that after 6..e6 was not possible. I think 7..Be6 is just perfect for this position where white's attack on the king side at this stage does not promise a lot. Notice that if we are forced to exchange our bishop with a knight then we could & should place our bishop on d5, meeting Nxd5 with cxd5. Now in the position that came up we have a semi-closed center where knights are better than bishops and we have every right for a minority attack. I am not sure though if the king-side attack (as a response to the minority attack) would be as strong as usual cause of the lack of the f2 pawn. On one hand, the rook has an immediate access to the attacking area but on the other hand white's king has absolutely no protection, after the typical way of attacking in such situations. Now as 8.g5? (my evaluation also) no matter how hard I tried I wasn't able to find even an idea that would give 8.g5 a reason to be played. 8..Bxh1 9.gxf6 exf6 is excellent for black.

PS I got the variation corrected by the way (Be4 instead of Be5)
« Last Edit: 12/03/04 at 07:41:17 by Tzanidakis_Michael »  

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #56 - 12/02/04 at 20:54:06
Post Tools
After 5...Bf5 6.Ne5 c6 Diemer played 7.g4 Bg6 8.g5 Nd5. I will leave it to others to evaluate this.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #55 - 12/02/04 at 16:43:52
Post Tools
This seems to be the best response after 5..Bf5 6.Ne5 as being attacked is not what a BDG player (or general a gambiter) would like in a game. But I would prefer 6..c6 returning to the very solid formation of the Ziegler defense we talked some posts ago.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #54 - 12/02/04 at 16:25:56
Post Tools
After 1.d4 d5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bf5 BDG-fanatics will continue with 6.Ne5 (all other moves lead to an improved Ziegler-Defence or - from White's point of view - a bad Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit) e6 7.g4 when I like the ultra-sharp Ne4! 8.gxf5 Qh4+ best. There is some analysis on this in one of the many other BDG-threads.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #53 - 12/02/04 at 14:50:10
Post Tools
Actually after checking some ideas and variations on this forum I started changing my mind and I started to believe that the following defense, unfortunately I do not remember who proposed it first, is much more dynamic than the ziegler. After 1.d5 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bf5!? is far from interesting. After 6.Bd3 Bxd3 7.Qxd3 white's lead in development should not be a satisfactory compensation for the pawn.

An example: 
7..c6 8.O-O e6 9.Bg5 Nbd7 10.Rae1 Be7 11.Ne4 Nxe4 12.Bxe7 Qxe7 13.Rxe4 Nf6 14.Re5 O-O 15.Ng5 Rfd8 16.c3 h6 17.Ne4 Nxe4 18.Qxe4
Rd5

Also 6..Bg6 must be a very good defensive move as I believe that the white bishop is the most dangerous attacking piece. So we can place the bishop on g6, develop a little and when the opposing knight comes on f4 exchange our bishop with the bishop on d3. Bxg6, hxg6 should not be a problem as usual. The main variation that made me really like this variation is:

6.Bc4 Nbd7 7.O-O e6 8. Ne2 Bd6 and black is ready to castle holding the option of either c6 or c5

If 8.Ng5 then 8..Nb6 9.Bb3 Bg6 10.Ne2 c5 11.c3 Bd6

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #52 - 12/02/04 at 13:07:38
Post Tools
My suggestion as a better defense (in comparison to 8..Bg6)against the BDG is 7..Bg6 more for phychological reasons than practical. As I said, I believe that 7..e6 firstly is well-known to BDG players, secondly gives a target (the pawn itself) and finaly loses time as we do not bring a defender. So I sugested 7..Bg6 and then Nbd7. In a previous post I have a more analytical explanation but my idea is to play Nb6 threatening the bishop on c4 and then Nbd5. After Nbd7 we cover the extremely important e5 square where a bishop from there can do a lot of damage. If 8.Bf4 (if I remember well my post) e6 in order to bring our bishop either on e7 or d6 and exchange the bishops. In general I do not agree with most variations that place the white knight on f4, the black bishop on d6 and they exchange as the white bishop will become too powerful.

IP Logged

Sevenviolets

Reply #51 - 12/02/04 at 12:35:37
Post Tools
Dear Friends,

Alchemy line 8.Ng5 Bxc2?!

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.0–0 e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nxf7!! Kxf7 [9...Bxd1 10.Nxd8 Kxd8 11.Rxd1 Nd5 12.Re1+/=] 10.Qe2!? Qd7 [10...Qd6?! 11.Bf4 Qxd4+ 12.Kh1 Bf5 13.Rad1 Qc5 14.Bxb8 Rxb8 15.b4 Qe7 16.Rxf5 b5 17.Bb3+/-; 10...Ke8! 11.Qxe6+ with compensation, but maybe not enough?] 11.Qxc2!? Qxd4+ 12.Be3 Qxe3+ [12...Qxc4 13.Rf4 Qxf4 (13...Qa6 14.Ra4 Qxa4 15.Qxa4+-) 14.Bxf4 Bc5+ 15.Kh1 Nbd7 16.Ne4! Nxe4 17.Qxe4 Nf6 (17...Rhe8 18.Qxh7+-) 18.Qe5 Bb6 19.Bg5 Rhf8 20.Rf1±] 13.Kh1 Ke8

[a) 13...Be7 14.Rae1 Qc5 15.Qe2+-;
b) 13...Bd6 14.Rae1 (or 14.Ne4!? an ingenious idea of Michael Tzanidakis 14...Be5 (14...Ke7 15.Nxf6 gxf6 16.Rae1±) 15.Rae1 Qh6 16.g4 with attack) Qh6 15.Bxe6+ Kf8 16.g4 with compensation;
c) 13...b5 14.Rae1 Qc5 (14...Qxe1 15.Rxe1 bxc4 16.Ne4 Nbd7 17.Ng5++-) 15.Bxe6+ Ke8 16.b4! Qb6 17.Rxf6 gxf6 18.Nd5 Qd4 19.Nc7+ Kd8 20.Nxb5+/-]

14.Rae1 Qg5 (14...Qc5 15.Rxe6+ Kd8 16.Ne4 Qh5 17.Nxf6 gxf6 18.Qd2+ Kc8 19.Rexf6±) 15.Rxe6+ Kd8 16.Ne4 Qg4 17.Nxf6 gxf6 18.Rexf6 Be7 19.Rf7 Re8 20.Qd2+ +-

So after 10.Qe2?! black can strike back with Ke8! where the game is roughly equal.

Much better is simple

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.0–0 e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Nxf7!! (Mr. Tzanidakis and Mr. Rajmund Emanuel idea, I was really surprised when Mr. Rajmund Emanuel suggested me this move and some two days later Mr. Tzanidakis found the same move too; an evidence of synchronicity of ideas)  Kxf7 10.Qxc2!! and believe or not, black is lost Qxd4+ 11.Be3! Qxe3+ 12.Kh1 and now the game transposes into 10.Qe2?! line, where black missed his only opportunity to survive Ke8!

Teyko analysed
1. d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6  6. Bc4 Bf5 7. Ne5 e6 8. O-O Bxc2 9. Nxf7 Kxf7 10. Bxe6+!? Interesting possibility, but it doesn´t give enough Kxe6 11. Qxc2 Kd7! (Qxd4? is weak) 12. Bg5 Kc8 13. d5 Bd6 14. Kh1 etc. The main problem of this line is 12..Be7! and black position holds. Or even 13..Qb6+!? 14.Kh1 Be7!  looks promising for black. Yet still there are a lot of lines where white can get his usual (&#61514;) +-  in this double-sacrificing variation. 

Inn2 wrote: „Teyko can you please answer 8... Bg6 (rather than 8... Bxc2) as well?“.

Yes, now, when we managed with 8..Bxc2 line, there is plenty of space and time to manage also with 8..Bg6 line. 

Tracke wrote: „While 10...Be7 is still simply good for black I agree with Michael Tzanidakis that 8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7! (instead of 9...Qe2?) transposing to the double piece sac is critical and most likely sufficient for white. So Black should play 8.Ng5 Bg6 as Bonsai and Inn2 claimed and we are waiting for your new analysis. Afterwards you may refute O´Kelly ?!“

Yes, we can possibly refute O´Kelly&#61514; The most critical line now is this 1. d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6  6. Bc4 Bf5 7. Ne5 e6 8. O-O Bg6. Let´s give it a shot!

And your try 8.Ng5 Bg4?! 9.Nxf7 Qe7 10.Rxf6 Bxd1 11.Rxe6 Kxf7 12.Rxe7++ Kxe7 13.Nxd1 Kd7 =+ is o.k. but better is 13.Bg5+!?N Kd7 14.Rxd1 and engines give small advantage to white though the position is not clear for me. White has lead in development, much more active pieces and a pawn for an exchange. But propably white cannot either win nor lose. Still, 9.Qd3 should be O.K.

Bonsai wrote: „but as Michael points out after 8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 white doesn't have to sacrifice another piece and can get a really promising position with 10.Qxc2. So I guess BDG supporters now just need to find something against 8...Bg6.“

Yes, exactly!

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #50 - 12/02/04 at 12:16:08
Post Tools
Inn2,

I would reserve my argument as to the Blackmar Diemar Gambit being busted. The fact of the matter is that the Alchemy variation is a system created by Rajumde and Patrik.

Thus, I believe it is only far that they are given a chance to respond. I have on the other hand tried to give a response to everyone elses attacks on various lines from the gunderam, to the vienna and at present I am working on the Hubsch, so if I finish with this analysis I will respond to your question.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #49 - 12/02/04 at 10:38:14
Post Tools
When I first revived this thread I only focused on 8... Bg6.

It seems there is still no satisfactory answer to this move after a week.

Since the alchemy has lost its magic can I say the BDG is busted?  Grin

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #48 - 12/02/04 at 08:31:52
Post Tools
Quote:
Hey micheal here is what I came up with for the double sac line in the ziegler.

1. d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6 6. Bc4 Bf5 7. Ne5 e6 8. O-O Bxc2 9. Nxf7 Kxf7 10. Bxe6+ Kxe6 11. Qxc2 Kd7 12. Bg5 Kc8 13. d5 Bd6 14. Kh1 Be5 15. Qf5+ Nbd7 16. Rac1 Re8 17.Ne4 Qc7 18. Bxf6 Bxf6 19. Rfd1 Re5 20. Qxh7 Nf8 21. Qh3+ Kb8 22. dxc6 bxc6 23.Nd6 a5 {The move advocated by Tzanidakis.} 24. Qb3+ Ka7 25. Qf3 Rd8 26. Rxc6 Qxd6 27. Rcxd6 Rxd6 28. Qf2+ Rb6 {This is where Tzanidakis analysis stops.} 29.Rd6 {A great move, because the queen on f2 stops the mate threat.} Reb5 30. b3 Ka6 31. Rxb6+ Rxb6 32. Qf1+ Ka7 33. Qf5 *

(30... Ng6 31. Rd7+ Ka8 32. Qc2 Ne7 33. Qe4+ Kb8 34. Rxe7 Bxe7 35. Qxe7)

(30... Be7 31. Rxb6 Rxb6 32. Qf5 Ra6 33. h4 g6 34. Qc8 )

(30... a4 31. g4 axb3 32. axb3 Rxb3 33. Qa2+ Kb8 34. Rxb6+ Rxb6 35. Qg8 Be7 36. Qxg7)

So I think we agree then that so far, with the up-to-date correct play, this line is drawish. The main variation you gave, which was where I agreed to a draw with Fritz actually, is a draw no question about it. The 30..Ng6 line is also a draw but not with the 33..Kb8? blunder but with 33..Nc6 instead covering all threats
the 30..Be7 is ok but I would prefer 32..Bb4 instead of comitting my rook for the guarding of that pawn. And finally 30..a4 is probably losing for black but I don't know anyone that would prefer this line of defense, as it takes away all the black defenders Smiley

Also the 20..Nf8 is a little suspicious to me as it places the knight to an awkward square without any good reason. Unfortunately I don't have time to check this interesting line as if I do that I'll fail my exams starting on Monday  Smiley But I'll keep an eye on this variation as there is poison in it. Hope you find a strong continuation somewhere in this line cause I am really having fun here!  Grin
« Last Edit: 12/02/04 at 09:42:52 by Tzanidakis_Michael »  

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #47 - 12/02/04 at 05:37:23
Post Tools
Quote:
Both games ended in a draw. So if 9.Nxf7 is best, that is not really an argument pro BDG.

It is in a way, if white could really force a draw I'd consider that a considerable success for him given his first 2 moves  Wink.

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #46 - 12/01/04 at 21:20:42
Post Tools
Hey micheal here is what I came up with for the double sac line in the ziegler.

1. d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6 6. Bc4 Bf5 7. Ne5 e6 8. O-O Bxc2 9. Nxf7 Kxf7 10. Bxe6+ Kxe6 11. Qxc2 Kd7 12. Bg5 Kc8 13. d5 Bd6 14. Kh1 Be5 15. Qf5+ Nbd7 16. Rac1 Re8 17.Ne4 Qc7 18. Bxf6 Bxf6 19. Rfd1 Re5 20. Qxh7 Nf8 21. Qh3+ Kb8 22. dxc6 bxc6 23.Nd6 a5 {The move advocated by Tzanidakis.} 24. Qb3+ Ka7 25. Qf3 Rd8 26. Rxc6 Qxd6 27. Rcxd6 Rxd6 28. Qf2+ Rb6 {This is where Tzanidakis analysis stops.} 29.Rd6 {A great move, because the queen on f2 stops the mate threat.} Reb5 30. b3 Ka6 31. Rxb6+ Rxb6 32. Qf1+ Ka7 33. Qf5 *

(30... Ng6 31. Rd7+ Ka8 32. Qc2 Ne7 33. Qe4+ Kb8 34. Rxe7 Bxe7 35. Qxe7)

(30... Be7 31. Rxb6 Rxb6 32. Qf5 Ra6 33. h4 g6 34. Qc8 )

(30... a4 31. g4 axb3 32. axb3 Rxb3 33. Qa2+ Kb8 34. Rxb6+ Rxb6 35. Qg8 Be7 36. Qxg7)

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #45 - 12/01/04 at 20:41:07
Post Tools
I agree with Michael, that g6 is the perfect square for the queen's bishop.
Regarding 8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7 nobody mentioned yet Bxd1!? 10.Nxd8 Kxd8 11.Rxd1 Nd5 12.Re1
A)12...Bb4 13.Rxe6 Nxc3 14.bxc3 Bxc3 15.Bg5 Kd7 16.Re7+ Kd6 17.Rd1 b5!? Dowling-Belopolsky,1989.
B) 12...Kd7 13.Rf1 Ke8 14.Bg5 h6 15.Bf4 Motta-Suits, Missoula 1990.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #44 - 12/01/04 at 19:01:17
Post Tools
And after a short break we return to our subject with a question:

Teyko have you found a variation that leads to something more than white striving for a draw in a Queen vs a rook, a bishop and a knight in the variation you proposed 22..bxc6 23.Nd6 a5 24.Qb3+ Ka7 25.Qf3 Rd8 26.Rxc6 Qxd6 27.Rcxd6 Rxd6 28.Qf2+ Rb6 = with perpetual check?

I am really looking forward to your response as you seem to be really into this gambit.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #43 - 12/01/04 at 16:57:48
Post Tools
You really did not understand me ?! If it is a mental disease I apologize. In any case thank you for ignoring me. I will ease this project by keeping silence till Xmas. There are more important things than BDG. - tracke

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #42 - 12/01/04 at 16:43:39
Post Tools
Quote:
Sorry, Michael Tzanidakis, I don´t want to be impolite but your last post was just bullshit!

Maybe I was a little bit too dogmatic to teyko but you´re obviously a die-hard-dogmatican?! - Or you really didn´t understood the intention with which I suggested 8...Bg4 ?! I did not include it into my black repertoire, I did not prefer 8...Bg4 to 8...Bg6 or 7...e6 to 7...Bg6 . In my very secret opinion all these lines are playable or even good for Black, we can discuss how big his advantage is. It wouldn´t bother me if your variation is the best, I will send you my congratulations. As long as the outcome of this analysis isn´t clear to everyone it´s just reasonable to keep in mind that 8...Bg4 is a more or less natural continuation (countering the Nxf7/Rxf5 threat and attacking the white queen!) which has obviously been forgotten, which the engines like and which cannot be refuted at once. It isn´t nonsense to suggest such a move. That´s all ! But maybe too much for you ...

Though I´m a nontitled player I have a equal score against these, I´ve played correspondence chess at master level and sometimes I´m analyzing with ICCF-Top10-rated players. I know what it means if DeepJunior runs on 48x6,2Ghz to depth 34/75 (in a complex middlegame) and also what this box will never see. I need no advice on "inaccuracies" or an introduction "how to attack/defend".
By the way, h7-h6 might be a weakening move in BDG but are you sure to spend two tempi (Nf3-g5-f3) to provoke it in such a sharp variation ??

Best regards, tracke  Angry

Well tracke you obviously have misunderstood me but that's ok with me. If you just want me to sit down and accept that move then this is simply not possible. It's not the move that according to my intuition the position is asking for. Of course you can play a dozen non-blunder moves in your 8th move like 8..Nbd7 I didn't say the opposite. I simply explained from my point of view why I would not trust this move. And if you don't want advices DO NOT POST!!! That's what we are doing here: Posting questions, opinions and answers. Also I never said that this is unplayable. It's just a bit inaccurate in my opinion. And I do not know if you wanted to be rude or not but you managed to do it! Well done, you managed to prove something with your last post!  Grin Grin Grin And from now on I will simply ignore you.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #41 - 12/01/04 at 16:32:34
Post Tools
Sorry, Michael Tzanidakis, I don´t want to be impolite but your last post was just bullshit!

Maybe I was a little bit too dogmatic to teyko but you´re obviously a die-hard-dogmatican?! - Or you really didn´t understood the intention with which I suggested 8...Bg4 ?! I did not include it into my black repertoire, I did not prefer 8...Bg4 to 8...Bg6 or 7...e6 to 7...Bg6 . In my very secret opinion all these lines are playable or even good for Black, we can discuss how big his advantage is. It wouldn´t bother me if your variation is the best, I will send you my congratulations. As long as the outcome of this analysis isn´t clear to everyone it´s just reasonable to keep in mind that 8...Bg4 is a more or less natural continuation (countering the Nxf7/Rxf5 threat and attacking the white queen!) which has obviously been forgotten, which the engines like and which cannot be refuted at once. It isn´t nonsense to suggest such a move. That´s all ! But maybe too much for you ...

Though I´m a nontitled player I have a equal score against these, I´ve played correspondence chess at master level and sometimes I´m analyzing with ICCF-Top10-rated players. I know what it means if DeepJunior runs on 48x6,2Ghz to depth 34/75 (in a complex middlegame) and also what this box will never see. I need no advice on "inaccuracies" or an introduction "how to attack/defend".
By the way, h7-h6 might be a weakening move in BDG but are you sure to spend two tempi (Nf3-g5-f3) to provoke it in such a sharp variation ??

Best regards, tracke  Angry

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #40 - 12/01/04 at 15:06:19
Post Tools
Well my friend let me try to answer your questions one by one

"From a general BDG-point of view 8...Bg6 is ugly, of course, and should be punished. But at the moment I see no immediate chance for white to take advantage out of that."

If you don't mean 8..Bg4, you are mistaken my friend. 8..Bg6 (or even better 7..Bg6, without e6) is beautiful, defensive move. It protects the weak f7-square (I thought that the primary target of BDG was this square afterall), it controls the important diagonal b1-h7 and also, in the case of castling, black king will have one more defender for the weak g7 and h7-squares.

"Maybe there is a 10-move-combination somewhere in some BDG-book and that was my question"

Everysingle combination begins from inaccuracies like those I told you this move includes. So, you can collect the merits and demerits, make a plan and see for yourself if there is something you would call a refutation.

"From a general point of view you can also ask what the Ng5 will do after h6 if sacrifies do not work."

If the knight cannot be sacrificed then it will gladly retreat as it managed to cause two major weaknesses after h6. The g6 square is very weak and also the h6 square is very weak. Not bad huh?

"At the moment Bg4 defends e6 and from h5 it will defend f7"

As I told you, if we don't move the e6 pawn but we play Bg6, we do not need to protect the e6-pawn (as it is not there), eliminating attacking options, and also we protect the f7-square in-one-move Bf5-Bg6 and not in two moves as in the maneuver Bf5-g4-h5, losing time.

"Indeed 8...Bg6 may be stronger, but as my engines evaluates 8...Bg4?!  ~-0,7 on depth 15, I thought that this move shouldn´t be totally missed in our discussion. It´s not "my move" , I only suggest to consider it."

I never trust computers on planning, simply cause they cannot make plans Smiley I trust them only for checking blunders and still not completely, only 60%. Wanna check the evaluation after 1. d4 d5 2. e4 dxe4 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6 6. Bc4 Bf5 7. O-O e6 8.
Ng5 Bxc2 9. Nxf7 Kxf7 10. Qxc2 Qxd4+ 11. Be3 Qxe3+ 12. Kh1 Bd6 13. Ne4! I guess it shows something like -2.25 Follow the analysis on my previous post and you'll see what I am saying. Also suggesting to consider a move is always useful but I told you I considered it and I found two problems that the 7..Bg6 or 8..Bg6 doesn't have. But that's just my opinion. You may be a risk-taker  Wink

I don't think that I need to answer further questions. I do not check the variations on a chessboard and I do not enjoy the fact that I may miss something here.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #39 - 12/01/04 at 14:17:13
Post Tools
Well Michael, you can be sure that 8...Bg4?! looks suspicious to me, too, but your post didn´t answer my question.
From a general BDG-point of view 8...Bg6 is ugly, of course, and should be punished. But at the moment I see no immediate chance for white to take advantage out of that. Maybe there is a 10-move-combination somewhere in some BDG-book and that was my question.
From a general point of view you can also ask what the Ng5 will do after h6 if sacrifies do not work. Back to f3? Exchanging on e4? At the moment Bg4 defends e6 and from h5 it will defend f7. It can be exchanged against white knights on f3 or e2. If it is pushed to g6 it will gain time by attacking Qd3. With h7-h6 played and bB on g6 white likes to play Ne5 but this takes time. Is d3 really the best place for wQ ? I´ve seen some lines with re-sacrifiing Nb8-d7-c5/e5 if white has sacrified too much. g3 would be a nice place but at he moment d4 is weak. And after Be3 there´s no Qd3-g3. If the h-file is opened some marvelous way this suits black as Rh8 looks at white´s castled king.
Indeed 8...Bg6 may be stronger, but as my engines evaluates 8...Bg4?!  ~-0,7 on depth 15, I thought that this move shouldn´t be totally missed in our discussion. It´s not "my move" , I only suggest to consider it.

tracke Smiley

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #38 - 12/01/04 at 13:08:44
Post Tools
Well I found two problems with that move. The first is that you lose time by moving your bishop on g4. You lose time because white will move his queen to a good square and you will have to move your bishop on h5, in order to protect your weak f7 square. And that won't happen with h3 my fiend Smiley You have to protect that square anyway. The other problem is that your bishop temporarily occupies the g4-square where we can place our knight in some variations.
These are just slight inaccuracies, but it is these inaccuracies that you don't want to play against gambits  Wink

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #37 - 12/01/04 at 12:30:29
Post Tools
Sorry for silly questions but is there a well known refutation of 8.Ng5 Bg4?!   ???

For sure 8...Bg6 9.Ne2 c5 (Inn2) should be stronger but we should not forget this possibility which doesn´t seem to lose immediately: 8.Ng5 Bg4?!
- 9.Nxf7(?) Qe7 10.Rxf6 Bxd1 11.Rxe6 Kxf7 12.Rxe7++ Kxe7 13.Nxd1 Kd7 =+
- 9.Qe1?? Qxd4+ -+
- 9.Ne2?! or 9.Qd2?! ~/=+
- 9.Qd3! (seems best) Be7! (only move!) and 10.h3 Bh5 11.Bxe6 h6! does not work. If white plays "quiet" after 9...Be7 he might have "his usual sufficient BDG-compensation" what teyko will call "his usual winning advantage" ?!

Best regards, tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

8...Bxc2 not good, 8...Bg6 probably better
Reply #36 - 12/01/04 at 07:48:15
Post Tools
8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7! does look rather unpleasant for black. Particularly in the lines suggested by Michael Tzanidakis black certainly is the one that has to hope for a draw (looking at the white attack one even has to wonder whether black really has one or not). That's certainly not what I want when trying to refute the BDG...

As to teyko's line, I feel there have to be one or two points at which black can deviate and maybe get a reasonable (or even advantageous?!) position (e.g. 16...Rf8 17.bxc6 bxc6 18.Rfd1 Qe8!? 19.Ne4 Qh5 20.h3 Qg6 21.Qe6 Nxe4 which does seem to give a perpetual or 14...Qe8 15.Nb5!? Be5 16.Qf5 Nbd7 which might even be advantageous for black), but as Michael points out after 8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 white doesn't have to sacrifice another piece and can get a really promising position with 10.Qxc2. So I guess BDG supporters now just need to find something against 8...Bg6.

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #35 - 12/01/04 at 07:33:56
Post Tools
Thx teyko for sharing this variation with us. It's very interesting indeed! As I am not a BDG player I have only limited access to BDG database so I miss these critical lines  Sad But I would like to see how you continue after 23..a5 which gives more protection to this pawn. Me as black against Fritz continued with 24.Qb3+ Ka7 25. Qf3 Rd8 26.
Rxc6 Qxd6 27. Rcxd6 Rxd6 28. Qf2+ Rb6 where I think black is fine

PS sorry, I mean in the 22..bxc6 line and not after 22..b6 which is dead lost for black

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #34 - 12/01/04 at 05:25:11
Post Tools
hey teyko, it´s always nice to hear/read from you  Smiley

I do not have any problems countering the BDG, neither mentally nor theoretically nor practically! Regarding my games I have a ~85% score with Black in each blitz, rapid or tournament games. Sometimes my technique fails to convert the extra pawn and sometimes (but seldom) in blitz games I even blundered away a winning advantage and lost. In every drawn or lost game I had a huge opening advantage, so I feel quite confident.

My own choice is the O´Kelly defense (do we need a new thread?), sometimes transposing to Ziegler. This is why I´m interested in this discussion while it´s not critical for my own repertoire.

What you call emotional response is just the following:
I have a true, great and neverending love for mankind and it really makes me angry to see you refusing to improve to higher levels of chess understanding! Apart of playing BDG you might be a good guy?!
There are ways to attack you might not imagine at the moment. Look at some variations of the Closed Spanish (C92-99). Beginners never feel the power of white´s setup but white really intends to attack. And his attack (after developing and controlling the center) is much more an attack than something like the Evans gambit!
And there are many players who start with 1.d4/2.c4 not to pressure on the queen´s side but to attack, no matter if Black goes for Slav, Wolga, Grünfeld, Dutch or something else. Attacking is no question of blundering pawns!

As I have already mentioned in the "misunderstanding"-thread: I see no future for a complete analytical treatise of BDG. It´s impossible to give black a clear-cut route to a winning pawn-ending. And I really do not see a clear-cut way for White to equalize!! While white has no sufficient compensation he surely has some compensation what nobody here will deny. Of course he can pose some problems to black. But, and this is the point: master experience, master evaluations (early & generally) and statistics show that white is simply sufferring.

I didn´t suggest 10...fxe6?! to play it myself, I just wanted to critisize the level of analyzing. It´s just a natural move I totally missed. Also in some "analysis" of rajmund I get the impression that these are model games for White, strongly supported by Black!
Of course 12.Bf4 is strong, I found it myself short after posting. I´m not sure that it wins but admittedly I wouldn´t take the black side in a game.
While 10...Be7 is still simply good for black I agree with Michael Tzanidakis that 8...Bxc2 9.Nxf7! (instead of 9...Qe2?) transposing to the double piece sac is critical and most likely sufficient for white.
So Black should play 8.Ng5 Bg6 as Bonsai and Inn2 claimed and we are waiting for your new analysis. Afterwards you may refute O´Kelly ?!

But remember my words: we will always end up in unclear positions with White a pawn down where White has "some" compensation but tournament practice clearly favours Black!

Best wishes, tracke  Wink

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #33 - 12/01/04 at 02:01:08
Post Tools
Sure Inn,

I will post my analysis for 8...Bg6 tommorrow because it is 1:00 in the morning now.

But as a side note, this is not reams of analysis to me because this is my opening. That is like telling a Dragon player that the Chinese Variation is has to go well beyond move 17 before we see why it is equal or gives Black the initiative.

I know this Blackmar Diemar stuff so to me this is natural course of the lines.

None of my postings are new analysis, except my finding of Nf3! in the Hubsch gambit lines.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #32 - 12/01/04 at 01:32:37
Post Tools
Quote:
This variation works for white as well and as Blackmar Diemar players know, the Alchemy Variation was and is not the only way to meet the Ziegler Variation.

You mean there are other tries other than the alchemy?? er wow.  Roll Eyes So what are they? Teyko can you please answer 8... Bg6 (rather than 8... Bxc2) as well? I think as long as Black does not get carried away with grabbing pawns he is SAFELY BETTER.  Grin

The fact that you need reams and reams of analysis just to prove your gambit (this is only the ziegler!!) maybe shows that compensation isn't adequate? most sound opening gambits have compensation that are obvious rather quickly no?

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #31 - 11/30/04 at 23:27:26
Post Tools
Tzanidakis makes an interesting variation, but this is a line given in the Blackmar Diemar Keybook. It is traditionally known as the double sac line, Tzanidakis merely leaves out the second part. This variation works for white as well and as Blackmar Diemar players know, the Alchemy Variation was and is not the only way to meet the Ziegler Variation.

Here is my own analysis of the variation for your enjoyment and the inevitable criticism.

[Event "Blitz:3'"]
[Site "Home Office"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "New game"]
[Black "Fritz 8"]
[Result "*"]
[PlyCount "45"]
[TimeControl "180"]

1. d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6
6. Bc4 Bf5 7. Ne5 e6 8. O-O Bxc2 9. Nxf7 Kxf7 10. Bxe6+ Kxe6 11. Qxc2 Kd7 12. Bg5 Kc8 13. d5 Bd6 14. Kh1( A novelty discovered in a game with National Master William Aramil.) 14... Be5 15. Qf5+ Nbd7 16. Rac1 Re8
17. Ne4 Qc7 18. Bxf6 Bxf6 19. Rfd1 Re5 20. Qxh7 Nf8 21. Qh3+ Kb8 22. dxc6 b6 23. Qh8 {And now white is winning, hands down, check the evaluation with shredder or fritz if you doubt me.

Even if black would have played 22...bxc6 white meets his challenge with 23. Nd6 a6 and 24. Qb3+

Just some food for thought Tracke.

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #30 - 11/30/04 at 21:21:46
Post Tools
By the way check out this variation after my innovation

1. d4 d5 2. e4 dxe4 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3 c6 6. Bc4 Bf5 7. O-O e6 8.
Ng5 Bxc2 9. Nxf7 Kxf7 10. Qxc2 Qxd4+ 11. Be3 Qxe3+ 12. Kh1 Bd6 13. Ne4! (the move which I found) Be5 14.
Rae1 Qh6 15. g4 b5 16. g5 Qxh2+ 17. Qxh2 Bxh2 18. gxf6 +=

I checked this variation with fritz. I think I'll give you food for thought  Grin

Note that if 15... Nbd7 16. g5 Qh5 17. Nxf6 gxf6 18. Rxe5 Nxe5 19. Qf5
Kg8 20. Bxe6+ Nf7 21. Qxf6 Rf8 22. Qe7 h6 23. Bxf7+ Rxf7 24. Qe8+ Kg7 25. Qe5+ =

I need to check the 17.gxf6 variation but so far white has at least the draw. Further analysis with 17.gxf6 will follow up, if I find a draw or a win

P.S I am not a BDG maniac, not even a fan. But I always liked refuting the refutations  Cheesy

IP Logged

Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #29 - 11/30/04 at 20:25:33
Post Tools
I think 9.Nxf7, even though might be refuted by opening experts, is a very good attacking try which will absolutely suit a gambiter's style

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #28 - 11/30/04 at 19:52:54
Post Tools
Quote:
My first suggestion is to start with natural moves like accepting sacrifies:
(alchemy variation) 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Qe2 Bg6 10.Bxe6 fxe6?!
Is this really bad? Or just another refutation like 10...Be7 ?
For sure White must find an improvement on 11.Nxe6 Qe7 12.Nc7+ Kd7 13.Nxa8 Qxe2 14.Nxe2 Na6 -/+ . My engines didn´t find one in five minutes but of course teyko will .

A very brave suggestion, I'm not really sure whether this has any merit, but Shredder does assess 12.Re1 as equal (whatever value engine evaluations have in these positions). This position does seem to be quite a mess, but I guess one should really consider what happens if black does take the piece.

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #27 - 11/30/04 at 19:43:24
Post Tools
Now as for your analysis.

1.d4 d5 2. e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6  4. f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.0-0 e6  8. Ng5  Bxc2 9.Qe2  g6 10.Bxe6 fxe6 11. Nxe6 Qe7

Now pay attention tracke 12.Nc7??? is a blunder, because white cannot get the knight back, now the correct move in this postion would be

12. Bf4 prompting two responses from black, either 12..Kf7 or 12...Kd7

If 12...Kf7 13. Rae1 Kg8 14.Nc7 Qxe2 15. Nxe2 Bb4 16. Nc3 Bd3 17. Rf3  Be4  18. Rf2 with an advantage to white.

If 12...Kd7 13.Rfe1 Qf7 14. d5  (it is also worth noting that 14. Ng5 Qg8 15. Ne6 Qf7 16. Ng5 Qg8 is equal because of repetition)  14...Kc8 15. Qc4 Nfd7 16 Rad1 Be7 17.dxc6 Nxc6 18. Nb5 gives white something to play with.

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #26 - 11/30/04 at 19:33:08
Post Tools
Tracke,
What is your problem? If you have such an emotional response to the Blackmar Diemar Gambit, then you should have no problem beating it everytime you encounter it.

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about in analyzing these positions. Don't be a prick about it.

I will consider your line and get the analysis back to you.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #25 - 11/30/04 at 19:10:02
Post Tools
Maybe Bonsai is right and we should convince the BDG fans (~fanatical supporters!) on a "analytical way" move by move (see the other thread).

My first suggestion is to start with natural moves like accepting sacrifies:
(alchemy variation) 8.Ng5 Bxc2 9.Qe2 Bg6 10.Bxe6 fxe6?!
Is this really bad? Or just another refutation like 10...Be7 ?
For sure White must find an improvement on 11.Nxe6 Qe7 12.Nc7+ Kd7 13.Nxa8 Qxe2 14.Nxe2 Na6 -/+ . My engines didn´t find one in five minutes but of course teyko will .

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #24 - 11/30/04 at 17:56:06
Post Tools
MnB, I wasn't talking about 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 Bf5, I meant 1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 Bf5, I'd rather play without the move c6. If you still mean to play seomthing like 5.g4 Bg6 6.g5 Nd5, then 7.fxe4 Nxc3 8.bxc3 e5 and this is a lovely position for black. So white probably has to play something like 7.Nxe4 Nc6 and what now for white? These positions actually seem to be much easier to play as black than the ones below, here black has really active play himself.

Now as to the other lines we were discussing:

A1) After 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 c5 10.c3 Nc6 11.Nf4 cxd4 12.Nfxe6 fxe6 13.Nxe6 Qb6 14.Re1 Kd7 15.cxd4 Re8 16.Kh1 Qb4 17.Qe2 Bh5 18.Qf1 b5 19.Bxb5 Rxe6 20.Rxe6 Kxe6 21.Bxc6 Bd6 22.Bg5, why do you think black cannot simply play 22...Qxd4? Any particular reason why this is "not so clear"?

A2) 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bg6 9.Ne2 Bd6 10.Nf4 Bxf4 11.Bxf4 Nd5 12.Bd2 o-o 13.Qe2 Here I really think black should not play Bxc2. He already has an extra pawn, so why take excessive risks? Okay, one should really avoid 13...Nb6 14.Nxe6!, but frankly speaking I don't really see that white has much compensation for the pawn, all he really has is the f-file and a vague space advantage on the kingside. If white had this position "for free" then he would be slightly better, but I don't really believe it is really worth a pawn.
A2a) Despite my doubts about playing something as risky looking as 13...Bxc2, that does seem to be more or less okay for black 14.Nxe6 fxe6 15.Bg5!? does seem to be okay for black 15...Nf6 16. Bxe6+ Kh8 17. Qxc2 Qxd4+ 18. Kh1 Nbd7 19. Rad1 Qe4 20.Qxe4 Nxe4 21. Be3 Ndf6 and all black did was concede the pair of bishops. Maybe this position is not all that bad for white, but black has an extra pawn and no weaknesses.
A2b) Simply developing with 13...Nd7 would strike me as a really safe option and makes a lot of sense. Why should I open the position for white as in A2a?

B1) 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 10.Bxe6 Be7 11.Bf5 Bxf5 12.Rxf5 h6 13.Nge4 o-o 14.Be3 Nbd7 15.Raf1 Looking at this again, it does seem to me like white has quite a bit of pressure on the black kingside and it is difficult to ease to pressure by swapping off pieces. On the other hand black does have an extra pawn for accepting this position. Maybe there are some tactical ideas for white somewhere, but I didn't spot anything if black plays e.g. 15...Nxe4 16.Nxe4 Nf6 17.Re5 Kh8 and black threatens to play Nxe4 further easing the pressure on his position.

B2) 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5 Bxc2 10.Bxe6 Be7 11.Bf5 Bxf5 12.Rxf5 o-o 13.Be3 Nbd7 14.Raf1 Here black has the option to play 14...Bd6, but admittedly white will be able to draw the ending after 15.Qf3 Re8 16.Nge4 Nxe4 17.Nxe4 Bxh2+ 18.Kxh2 Qh4+ 19.Kg1 Qxe4 20.Rxf7 Qxf3 21.R1xf3. Somehow I feel white doesn't really have entirely enough for his pawn on move 14, but I admit I don't really see how to safely convert this for black. Maybe 14...Rc8 with the idea of starting to play on the queenside with c6-c5. Then white might play 15.Nge4 Nxe4 16.Nxe4 Nf6 17.Qf3 Nxe4 18.Qxe4 Qd7 19.d5 c5 20.Rh5 g6 and black seems to have survived *and* kept the pawn, but again as in B1 white might well have improvements somewhere, as he *might* be able to do something with his rather active pieces.

I have to admit that white does have some really active play in B1 and B2 - whether it's enough I don't know, but at the moment I haven't seen anything that really challenges black, yet.. Considering those somewhat dangerous looking positions white achieves B1 and B2 I feel that B3 (or C as I called it) does seem safer. Does anyone have suggestions as to how white should play there?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #23 - 11/29/04 at 21:26:54
Post Tools
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.f3 (Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit) exf3 (Bf5 6.g4 Nd5 7.g5 is messy) 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.o-o e6 8.Ng5

A1) 8...Bg6 9.Ne2 c5 10.c3 Nc6 11.Nf4 cxd4 12.Nfxe6 fxe6 13.Nxe6 Qb6 14.Re1 Kd7 15.cxd4 Re8 16.Kh1 Qb4 17.Qe2 Bh5 18.Qf1 b5 19.Bxb5 Rxe6 20.Rxe6 Kxe6 21.Bxc6 Bd6 22.Bg5 is not so clear.
A2) 8...Bg6 9.Ne2 Bd6 (Be7 is playable too) 10.Nf4 Bxf4 11.Bxf4 Nd5 12.Bd2 o-o 13.Qe2 with the intention Bxc2 14.Nxe6 fxe6 15.Bg5!? again not so clear.
B1) 8...Bxc2 10.Bxe6 Be7 11.Bf5 Bxf5 12.Rxf5 h6 13.Nge4 o-o 14.Be3 Nbd7 15.Raf1 with some pressure for the pawn.
B2) 8...Bxc2 10.Bxe6 Be7 11.Bf5 Bxf5 12.Rxf5 o-o 13.Be3 Nbd7 14.Raf1 is about the same.
B3) 8...Bxc2 10.Bxe6 Be7 11.Bf5 o-o! looks good indeed, as 12.Be3 Nbd7 does not really help either.
But hey, I am more or less neutral in this debate. So I will leave it to the BDG fanatics to prove that the Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit is playable after 8.Ng5!?

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Sevenviolets

Reply #22 - 11/27/04 at 15:18:21
Post Tools
Hello,
   it seems that some people start to not believe the Alchemy line. Well, one has to be sceptical. I´m also sceptical and when I´m playing correspondce games I want to play true, correct lines. Therefore we have to find out if the Alchemy line is viable and o.k. I will have a look on your proposals and hope I will give satisfying evidence that lines are correct. See ya soon.
7v

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #21 - 11/26/04 at 11:51:40
Post Tools
After playing around with some of those lines on that webpage I've got another few lines, where I think that black can improve rather easily, what about the following suggestions (white play based as much as possible on the lines suggested on the Alchemy Variation website):

1. e4 d5 2. d4 dxe4 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6. Nxf3 Bf5 7. O-O e6 8. Ng5

A. 8...Bg6 9. Ne2 Bd6 10. Nf4 Bxf4 11. Bxf4 Nd5 12. Bd2 O-O 13.a4 (! - exclamation mark on that website) But now, black can probably just play 13...Nb6 14. Bb3 Qxd4+ 15. Kh1 N8d7.

B. 8...Bxc2 9. Qe2 Bg6 10. Bxe6 Be7 11. Bf5 Bxf5 12. Rxf5 O-O (12... h6 13. Nge4 O-O 14. Be3 Nbd7 that could well be okay, too.) 13. Be3 Nbd7 and does white really have enough for the pawn?

C. 11... O-O 12. Bxg6 hxg6 13. Be3 Nbd7 14. Rf3 I believe black should be fine in these lines, too. In fact this looks really solid to me. An idea for black is to play as follows: 14...Qa5 (or 14...Nb6) 15. Raf1 Rae8 16. Qf2 Ng4 17. Qh4 Nh6 and where's the problem?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #20 - 11/26/04 at 09:43:48
Post Tools
<In general I have the impression that for the analysis on that page a lot of thought went into the moves for white and very little thought into the moves for black>
<That web page is mind boggling>
Not to mention all those colours...
I agree fully. Still the idea of saccing on e6 is fun. And guys, you can expect an answer of Rajmunde Emanuel here within a few days!

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #19 - 11/26/04 at 08:03:23
Post Tools
My apologies I see that c5 move now. It's listed under a special q&a section and not under the main game! That web page is mind boggling  ??? ???. so many many many moves ... Shocked

I see no reason to disagree with Bonsai, mainly because my computer's been running that position for a few hours and its still -+! imho after the sac on e6 White doesn't seem to have enough army left to chase the Black king.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #18 - 11/26/04 at 07:25:09
Post Tools
Quote:
I have checked that Rajmunde website. It's http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/ec_ena_alch.htm isn't it?

The very computerish analysis on that page is a couple of years old. Maybe they should upgrade their PC and run fritz again...  Roll Eyes

I did have a look at it and went over one of the lines I thought was reasonably logical for black
1. e4 d5 2. d4 dxe4 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f3 c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6. Nxf3 Bf5 7. O-O e6 8. Ng5 Bg6 9. Ne2 c5 10. c3 Nc6 11. Nf4 cxd4 12.Nfxe6 fxe6 13. Nxe6 Qb6
Okay, so white has managed to get the intended sac of e6, but that's supposed to be sound? I rather suspect it's not.
14. Re1 Kd7 15. Kh1 Re8
The last two moves by black look quite logical to me, so I had a look at that line - I'd suspect there are other reasonable tries, too.
16. cxd4 Qb4
Now this move by black looks a bit dubios, but my computer liked it, so I'll go with it for the time being.
17. Qe2 Bh5 18.Qf1 b5
Here the analysis on the webpage goes on with 18...Nxd4 which premature and in fact my computer dismisses it after a brief thought. 18...b5 disrupting white's pieces seems better, particularly seeing that we'll get to swap off some of them soon and then black is even better developed than white.
19. Bxb5 Rxe6, while after 19.Bb3 Nxd4 does now work.
20.Rxe6 Kxe6 21.Bxc6
and in this position I doubt that white has enough compensation for the piece. Okay, we have to refrain from something as greedy as 21...Qxd4, but 21...Bd6 should be fine.

In general I have the impression that for the analysis on that page a lot of thought went into the moves for white and very little thought into the moves for black (i.e. they often seem to be what the computer recommends in analysis mode after 5 seconds).

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #17 - 11/26/04 at 05:58:54
Post Tools
I have checked that Rajmunde website. It's http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/ec_ena_alch.htm isn't it?

The very computerish analysis on that page is a couple of years old. Maybe they should upgrade their PC and run fritz again...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 11/26/04 at 05:44:25
Post Tools
<I hope we busted the BDG once and for all.>
I doubt it. Inn2, have you already checked the website of Rajmunde Emanuel? If I remember well, he deals with 9...c5 too.
My personal bust of the BDG is 5...Bf5, eventually saving a tempo on 5...c6 and intending a counter sac after 6.Ne5 e6 7.g4 Ne4!
The Euwe Defense 5...e6 is also solid enough.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #15 - 11/26/04 at 04:08:45
Post Tools
Quote:
And if White tries something funny after 9... c5 like sacrificing on e6 it's simply not enough with only the bishop on c4 and Knight on g5 (why else would he bother to maneuver the knight to f4 in the first place).

To illustrate if this might not be so clear:

6. Bc4 Bf5 7. O-O Bg6 8. Ng5 e6 9. Ne2 c5 10. Nxe6?? fxe6 11. Bxe6 cxd4! 12. Nf4 Qb6! 13. Nxg6 (13. Re1 Bb4!) hxg6 14. Re1 Bd6 15. Bb3+ Kd7!16. h3 Nc6 -+

I hope we busted the BDG once and for all. RIP.  Grin

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #14 - 11/26/04 at 03:40:42
Post Tools
This is in reply to Teyko from the "Why is the BDG so misunderstood?" thread. I refer to Teyko's lines in this thread and in the given web page above (http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/ec_ena_alch.htm).

He thinks the ziegler is good for White. I think not.

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4  
6...Bf5 7.0-0 e6 8. Ng5 (the so-called alchemy variation)

8... Bg6 9. Ne2 (the brilliant idea is to maneuver to play Nf4 so as to sac on e6.. very cute indeed and might well catch alot of people out).

But Teyko (and the website) fail to deal with 9... c5!. This is a most classical and natural move. When White has moved his pieces away from the centre (look at the knights on g5 and e2!), Black strikes at the centre.

The most principled reply imho seems to be 10. Bb5+.

But that's nothing after 10... Nc6. Against 11. Nf3, 11. c3 and 11. Be3  Black replies to all with 11... Qb6!
If 11. Bxc6 bxc6 12. c3 Qb6! followed by Rd8 against just about every sensible move -+.

If White does not play 10. Bb5+,
Nc6/Qb6/Rd8/cxd4/Bc5 are all possible moves in one order or another. e.g. 10. c3 Nc6!

And if White tries something funny after 9... c5 like sacrificing on e6 it's simply not enough with only the bishop on c4 and Knight on g5 (why else would he bother to maneuver the knight to f4 in the first place). I am not going to post meaningless analysis. (just use fritz).

The best way to counter this sort of gambit is to stick to classical chess principles. When your opponent attacks you at the side bash him in the centre! It may be a dogmatic, stodgy and old fashioned view of chess but this is the way to go against gambit crazed attackers.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #13 - 09/17/04 at 14:00:34
Post Tools
I recently bought a gold membership here and, by and large, I am happy.

But it amazes me  Shocked that an entire section of the site is devoted to the BDG and similar suboptimal 1. d4 d5 ideas  Tongue, while (a) the entire Open Sicilian, minus the Dragon, and (b) the entirety 1. d4 d5 minus this strange stuff, have to make do with just one section each!

I venture to guess that there are more top-level games played in the Catalan alone -- a system that is actually playable for a win against strong opposition Grin -- than there are in all the systems considered in this section of the site.

Relevant to this thread, it is most amusing to read about the "Ziegler Defense," and lines with names similarly contrived to suggest that there is actually a theory of the Blackmar-Deimer that anyone cares about besides a few people for whom chess, if not played in gambit fashion, is a very dull game.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 09/15/04 at 22:14:13
Post Tools
One certainly has to be a fanatic BDG'er to take a losening move like 9.g4 seriously.
As stated a few times already - not only in this thread - the Alchemy Variation is critical. I am curious, if anyone has tried this in practice already.
Again: the title of this subject should be changed in Von Hennig-Milner Barry Gambit. Who the h** was Ziegler?

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Lev D. Zilbermints

Reply #11 - 09/12/04 at 18:12:01
Post Tools
The game A Rodriguez - E Bricard (2450) Toulouse CEIT op   Tolouse, 1998  proves what I already knew: That Gunderam's and Studier's analyses was flawed. You can find the entire move sequence, with exception of 14...Be3+ on page 80 of Das Moderne Blackmar-Diemer-Gambit, Band 3 (1980). In fact, I analysed  this line, and came to the conclusion that Gunderam's and Studier's 14...Rg8??  is a mistake.  It was only a matter of time before  someone found the same improvement I did.

For your information,  the game goes  1 d4 d5 2 e4 de4  3 Nc3 Nf6 4 f3 ef3  5 Nxf3 c6  6 Bc4  Bf5  7 Ne5  e6  8 00  Bg6
9 g4  Nbd7  10 Nxg6  hg6  11 g5  Qc7  12 Bf4  Bd6  13 Bd6  gf6  14 fg7  Be3+  0-1

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #10 - 05/07/04 at 07:45:08
Post Tools
The Lemberger Defence is 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 e5 which was analysed by GM Prie on his last update.  He stated he would be covering the 2 main responses (4.Nxe4 and 4.Nge2 I think) in the near future.

IP Logged

PoisonedPawn

Reply #9 - 05/05/04 at 22:49:30
Post Tools
And what the heck is the Lemberger defense????

IP Logged

PoisonedPawn

Reply #8 - 05/05/04 at 22:33:43
Post Tools
I am stunned!   Shocked  The variations look good...quite impressive!

I am again without a defense against the BDG.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #7 - 05/05/04 at 20:49:23
Post Tools
That truly is a fascinating variation.  I'm still not clear on how strong the variation is but it brings hope in one line that I thought Black was just easily winning in.  For more on this go to http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/ec_ena_alch.htm

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #6 - 05/05/04 at 18:31:57
Post Tools
Here you go. I think it is a playable position at least.

B) 8...Bg6 9.Ne2! Be7

[a) 9...Bd6 10.Nf4 Nbd7 (10...Bxf4 11.Bxf4 Nd5 12.Bd2) 10...Bd611.Bxe6! fxe6 12.Nfxe6 Qb8 (12...Qe7 13.Re1 Rg8 14.Bf4+-) 13.Qe2 Bxh2+ 14.Kh1 Bd6 15.Bd2! Rg8 16.Rae1 Bg3 17.Bf4 Bxf4 18.Rxf4 h6 19.Nf8+ Kd8 20.Nge6+ Kc8 21.Nxg6+/-; 
b)9...h6 10.Nxe6 fxe6 11.Nf4 Bf7 12.Nxe6 Bxe6 13.Bxe6 Nbd7 14.Qd3 Qe7 15.Qg6+ Kd8 16.Bf5! Nb6 17.Bf4 Nbd5 18.Be5 Ne3 19.Rae1 Nfd5 20.Rf3 Nxf5 21.Rxf5+/-; 
c)9...Nbd7 10.Nf4 Be7 (10...Bd6 11.Bxe6 (-> 9..Be6) ) 11.Qe1 Nf8 12.c3 Bf5 13.Nh5 Nxh5 14.Rxf5 Nf6 15.Rf1 h6 16.Nf3 Ng6 17.Bd3 Nf8 (17...Qd6 18.Bxg6 fxg6 19.Ne5+/-) 18.Ne5 N8d7 19.Ng6+/-]
10.Nf4 Bf5 11.c3 0-0

[11...Na6 12.Nd3 Bg6 13.Ne5 Nc7 14.Bd3 (14.Qe1?! Rf8!~ (14...0-0?! 15.Nxg6 hxg6 16.Qh4 Re8 17.Rf3+/-) ) 14...0-0 15.Bxg6 hxg6 16.Qe1 Qe8 17.Rf3! (17.Qh4 Nh5 18.Nd3 (18.g4?! f6~) 18...Nd5 19.g4 Bxg5 20.Bxg5 f6 21.gxh5 fxg5 22.Qxg5 gxh5 23.Ne5 Rf6+/=) 17...Ncd5 18.Qh4 Nh5 19.Qh3 Bf6 20.g4 Bxg5 21.Bxg5+-]
12.Nfxe6 Bxe6 13.Bxe6 fxe6 (13...Qc7 - see the question 3) 14.Nxe6 Qb6 15.Nxf8 Bxf8 16.Rxf6 gxf6 17.Qg4+ Kf7 18.Qh3 Bg7 19.Qh5+ Kf8 20.Qxh7 Nd7 21.Bf4 c5 22.Re1 Re8 23.Rxe8+ Kxe8 24.Qxg7+/-

IP Logged

PoisonedPawn

Reply #5 - 05/05/04 at 15:57:19
Post Tools
Teyko,

IM Martin's suggested ...c6 was a very welcome relief for me, since I had problems with the BDG before in blitz games, and haven't lost to it since.

That out of the way, I am not so certain why 8.Ng5 is such a great move.  Black still seems rock solid, and a pawn up, to me.  I guess the idea is to play Ne2, Nf4, Nxg6 so the g5 knight is still covering the f7 pawn...but this takes a lot of time to accomplish.

I would be suprised if white has real comp here.

Lets see a line that supports your claim please!

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Reply #4 - 05/05/04 at 13:48:56
Post Tools
Dudes, what are you guys talking about.
Let's start here shall we.

A Rodriguez - E Bricard (2450) [D00]

Toulouse CEIT op Toulouse, 1998

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 c6 6.Bc4
6...Bf5!  7.Ne5 (This is wrong) any good BDGr knows that the correct seventh move is 0-0. While he does give it some attention he follows it up wrong

Silman says" while 7.0-0 e6 (7...Bg6!? 8.Bf4 e6 is also good) 8.Qe1 (8.Be3 Nbd7 9.Qe2 Bd6 10.Rad1 Qc7 gives Black a clear plus) 8...Be7 9.Bg5 Nbd7 10.Qh4 Qb6 11.Kh1 0-0-0 12.Ne5 Bg6 with an obvious advantage. Black just has to exercise reasonable care."

But the correct move after e6 is 8. Ng5, the Alchemy Variation.

Now if 8...Bxc2 9. Qe2

and if 8. Bg6 9. Ne2!?

These are sharp positions for white where he still has attacking chances.

The only real issue for the Blackmar Diemar Gambit is the Hubsch and the obcure Bangiev Variation of the Bogoligbow defense.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 05/04/04 at 05:58:11
Post Tools
I agree with Glenn Snow. 8...Bxc2 is very dangerous for Black, even after 9.Qxc2. I also have analysis of Gerard Welling, Stefan Bücker and with the necessary modesty, myself.
Alas 8...Bg6 is a rock solid pawn up.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/04 at 20:44:34
Post Tools
Actually I was aware of 8...Bxc2 but didn't think 9.Nxf7 Kxf7 10.Bxe6+ Kxe6 11.Qc2 was completely clear.  I have analysis on this line perhaps a clear route to advantage has been found for Black now.  If not then Black can also play 8...Bg6 and if 9.g4 then 8...Bxc2 is even stronger.  I still, however, think the exact line Martin gives is still winning while being much safer.

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #1 - 05/03/04 at 18:01:02
Post Tools
For black yes.  His recommendation of 8 ... Bg6 may be safe and sound, but who cares about safe instead of winning?  8 ... Bxc2!! 

Just make sure you're prepared for the sacs coming towards the black king Wink

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

BDG Ziegler Defense
05/03/04 at 17:19:11
Post Tools
With all this talk about the BDG I was wondering if anybody had any improvements on the line of play recommended by A.Martin at the website [/color]http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_bits_pieces/110103_blackmar_dmr_gmbt.html [color=Black]?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo