Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: Who was the WEAKEST Official World Chess Champion?
bars   pie

Steinitz    
  17 (35.4%)
Lasker    
  1 (2.1%)
Alekhine    
  1 (2.1%)
Euwe    
  21 (43.8%)
Botvinnik    
  0 (0.0%)
Smyslov    
  1 (2.1%)
Tal    
  2 (4.2%)
Petrosian    
  3 (6.2%)
Spassky    
  2 (4.2%)
Karpov    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 48
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FIDE KO (Read 32083 times)
Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FID
Reply #95 - 10/12/05 at 00:16:23
Post Tools
Thanks Woofwoof! 

It's always great to add interesting new chess sites!

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #94 - 10/11/05 at 12:56:13
Post Tools
While we are still on Euwe, there a nice write up on him for thoseinterested.:
http://www.worldchessnetwork.com/English/chessHistory/salute/kings/euwe.php

The webpage also features other interesting writeups and certain key games of the other champs as well.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #93 - 09/29/05 at 22:15:11
Post Tools
Versus Botvinnik:
Smyslov -5
Bronstein -2
Levenfisj -1
Keres -5
Tal 0
Petrosjan +2
Spassky -1

So what do you mean, Levenfisj was a stronger player than Smyslov and Keres?
OK, then Spielmann was stronger than Euwe (better results against both Capa and Alekhine).
Both statements are about equally ridiculous.
Call me dumb, but I don't get it.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #92 - 09/29/05 at 02:50:14
Post Tools
Quote:
In a similar way I don't get Willempie's point, when stating that Euwe had -2 against Alekhine. What does this prove?

Check the scores of the Russkies vs Botwinnik and you'll see my point.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #91 - 09/28/05 at 22:17:37
Post Tools
In a similar way I don't get Willempie's point, when stating that Euwe had -2 against Alekhine. What does this prove?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #90 - 09/28/05 at 22:12:01
Post Tools
MNb said,

Quote:
Spielmann only had -1 against Alekhine (+2, -3) and an even score against Capablanca. What are your conclusions, Willempie?
Capa was not that indefeatable: Bad Kissingen 1928, Carlsbad 1929. Spielmann's wins costed Capa two tournament victories ...

I don't really get your point, MNb, except to bring Spielmann into the conversation again.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #89 - 09/28/05 at 22:02:16
Post Tools
Spielmann only had -1 against Alekhine (+2, -3) and an even score against Capablanca. What are your conclusions, Willempie?
Capa was not that indefeatable: Bad Kissingen 1928, Carlsbad 1929. Spielmann's wins costed Capa two tournament victories ...  Cheesy

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #88 - 09/28/05 at 07:47:49
Post Tools
To boot Euwe only had a minus one (iirc could be 2) score against Alekhine. That is including the disaster of 1937.
Smyslov doesnt have such a record against Botwinnik and neither does Tal. In fact all russians except Botwinnik and Tal have a negative score against Fischer and Tal's positive score is only due to one tournament which led to his Wch.
Personally I think that Tal escapes in all these types of polls because of his style. Smyslov gets away because of his low profile. Petrosjan gets away because he is seen as indefeatable (just as Capa). Spassky is less lucky due to his defeat against Fischer and Euwe is even more unlucky since he played against someone who was/is considered the best ever.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #87 - 09/27/05 at 18:20:15
Post Tools
Micawber,

As you pointed out at the start of your eulogy for Euwe, it's still rather easy to vote for him.  Certainly he was one of the best chess players.  And clearly, he was one of the most respected GrandMasters at a time when GrandMaster was an extremely rare title.  

You didn't answer who you voted for.  Every World Champion on the list certainly deserved to be World Champion.  But somebody was the strongest world champion, and someone in this very elite field was the weakest.  Who do you think was the weakest?

(Btw:  It would have been doubly arrogant of Kasparov to claim he was one of his greatest predecessors because he can't have preceeded himself!  He's got plenty of others to say that he's the greatest World Champion ever.)

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #86 - 09/27/05 at 14:54:51
Post Tools
Its rather easy to vote Euwe the weakest world-champion.
But remember that before 1946 he held a full time job.  The week after he won the world-championship he was back at his school as a math-teacher. Actually he has been world-champion twice. He also won the amateur-world-championship back somewhere in 192?. Smiley

In 1953 when he was no longer a young man he participated in the famous Zurich Tournament. In the first halve of this (30  round!) tournament he scored 7.5 /14 and won the brilliance-price twice. Replay his games against Geller and Najdorf and you will doubt if he really was so weak. More than that between 1930 and 1946 Botwinnik never won a single game against him.
Unfortunately the picture we have of him
is painted by Aljechins comments (who was not above
praising himself and demeaning his opponents) and by a rather repeated use in chess literature of his famous blunders and misadventures. His loss against Fischer for instance is widely quoted. But he played him 3 times and scored 1.5-1.5!.

In his book Fischer and his predecessors he mentions the five greatest world champions:
Lasker, Capablanca, Aljechin, Botwinnik and Fischer.
He claimed no place in chess history for himself.

I close with a quote from Bronstein:
"Euwe however is not easily flustered. Remember that in his lifetime he played more than seventy games with
Aljechin; the most feared attacking player of our time".

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #85 - 09/16/05 at 21:59:56
Post Tools
BTW: I just have to go on record one more time, thanks to Willempie et al:

Euwe's one of the coolest players of the Twentieth Century, and certainly one of the greatest gentlemen to have graced our sport.  I loved seeing him beat up on the youngsters in the first rounds of Zurich, and then seeing his greatness recognised by Kasparov in his Predecessors series.  I don't mean to diss him by saying he's the weakest world Champ of all time.  Rather, I give him credit for playing the return match knowing that he wasn't exactly the favorite in that two-horse race.  He did the altruistic thing and should be remembered for it!

(Willempie, will you ever forgive me for making this poll???  Sad )

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #84 - 09/14/05 at 22:27:40
Post Tools
Don't forget Portisch. In the K-K 1990 match he was second of Karpov. When telephoning with arbiter Gijssen Portisch had to identify himself by singing in Hungarian.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #83 - 09/14/05 at 22:25:59
Post Tools
Woofwoof,

Music and chess go hand-in-hand.  Philidor was a world class violinist, Bogolyubov was an operatic singer, and of course Smyslov was also a great singer.  his autobiography, V Poickakh Garmonii, translates to "In pursuit of Harmony." 

Of course there are many other talented artists and musicians who did well in chess and vice versa.  Psychologists theorize that the same skills required to learn music, math, and language are also used in chess.  Interestingly, the Chinese have an amazing per cent of people who are born with perfect tonal hearing (a very rare gift in the rest of the world), and are now becoming a world power in chess.  Will the next twenty years see a World chess Champion from China?

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #82 - 09/14/05 at 22:20:06
Post Tools
Interesting bit of trivia found on the net: Smyslov is also singer. Shocked. Apparently he made a few recordings & his songs can still be heard on Russian radio !

So that makes 2 chess players with musical inclinations. The other being Taimanov who is also an accomplished pianist.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #81 - 09/02/05 at 21:22:08
Post Tools
Wow,

The votes for (or depending on your point of view, against) Steinitz are suddenly skyrocketing!  What happened, did someone suddenly find out that Steinitz didn't really write all of Shakespeare's plays?  Oh wait.  Maybe they found out that Shakespeare didn't play all of Steinitz' games.  That's not it either.  hmm...

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #80 - 08/31/05 at 23:15:01
Post Tools
Hollandais, c'est une sauce, non?  Ce n'est pas de pays des champions du monde!  
« Last Edit: 09/02/05 at 21:22:33 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #79 - 08/31/05 at 22:40:31
Post Tools
Why? Because you can't stand the Dutch flag being rotated 90 degrees, compared to the French flag?
Because you can't stand the only French WCh being beaten by a Dutchman?  Grin

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

bulgroz

EVIV BULGROZ !

Reply #78 - 08/31/05 at 05:46:49
Post Tools
I have voted for Euwe.

Capablanca is missing, with Fischer, Kasparov and Kramnik !

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #77 - 08/09/05 at 12:16:07
Post Tools
Quote:
Ok TJ & Smyslov-fan. I did manage to find something which verifies what i read in the papers bout Karpov being a commie.

you can find it at http://chess-now.com/clashofthetitans.htm

The excerpt of that article i paste below:

• On his relationship with Anatoly Karpov, Boris said it has vastly improved and that Anatoly and he are very close. He felt it was possibly the fact that their best days of chess are over and that they are both doing similar things about promoting chess around the world.
   Boris also said he pleaded with Karpov to make sure there was a match in 1975. He felt for the good of the game that chess needed the continuity in the World Championship cycle and he felt if a match had taken place that Fischer would have won because Karpov did not have the experience necessary to compete at that level. Since Karpov was a loyal communist party member, and Boris never was, Karpov took the party line which was that the Soviets wanted the title back very seriously and therefore could not agree to all the terms that Fischer wanted for the match. What a loss to chess history that was.

conclusion : They were both commies

Who gives a flaming frig who is a Communist?  This board is about chess; clear out of here with your McCarthyite crap.

Oh, and that's a load of baloney about the CPSU being responsible for no match in 1975.  Basically no one, apart from a few American crypto-fascists, thinks that Fischer's terms for the match were remotely fair.  Soviet chess would have loved for Karpov to play Fischer, who hadn't played a game of serious chess since leaving Reykjavik.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #76 - 08/09/05 at 11:09:43
Post Tools
"So even during Karpov & Kasparov matches, me mate supported Kaspy cos he saw it as a match against communism."
I am sorry, but this is typical USA cold war nonsense. During the Reagan government many Americans and Europeans needed a dissident chess hero and Kasparov was the obvious choice, non regarding the facts.
Facts are: as a child Kasparov was guided by Botvinnik, a very convinced communist. Later Kasparov was protected by Aleev, who was an important party apparatsjik in Azerbeidzjan from 1980 until 1991 and afterwards became president of the new republic.
If you need a rebel against Sovjet communism, than Spassky is the best choice. He refused to sign the party petition against Kortsjnoj after his departure to the west. Even a better choice is Boris Guljko with three hunger strikes in the early 80's. What did the hypocrite Kasparov ever do to help him? Exactly, nothing except having a big mouth.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #75 - 08/07/05 at 08:55:22
Post Tools
Ok TJ & Smyslov-fan. I did manage to find something which verifies what i read in the papers bout Karpov being a commie.

you can find it at http://chess-now.com/clashofthetitans.htm

The excerpt of that article i paste below:

• On his relationship with Anatoly Karpov, Boris said it has vastly improved and that Anatoly and he are very close. He felt it was possibly the fact that their best days of chess are over and that they are both doing similar things about promoting chess around the world.
   Boris also said he pleaded with Karpov to make sure there was a match in 1975. He felt for the good of the game that chess needed the continuity in the World Championship cycle and he felt if a match had taken place that Fischer would have won because Karpov did not have the experience necessary to compete at that level. Since Karpov was a loyal communist party member, and Boris never was, Karpov took the party line which was that the Soviets wanted the title back very seriously and therefore could not agree to all the terms that Fischer wanted for the match. What a loss to chess history that was.

conclusion : They were both commies

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #74 - 08/07/05 at 08:35:23
Post Tools
Ok! Thanks very much TJ & Smyslov-Fan. I never knew Garry was a commie before this. That he was forced to become one is even more unique i must say  Grin

Hmmm..... regarding Karpov...... He could've been forced too, TJ! Good argument there!  But assuming that  the newspapers were correct..... Then (jus maybe) he wasnt mentioned in that article u mentioned cos karpov joined willingly. I do vaguely recall that he was quite an  active member. Then again.... i (or rather the papers) could be wrong.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #73 - 08/07/05 at 04:18:54
Post Tools
Ehlvest's The Story of a Chess Player p 37, also indicate that Garry was a commie member:

Some players did become Communists-most notably, Garry Kasparov and Alexander Beliavsky. I believe, however, that in Kasparov's case there was not much choice in becoming a member[...]

Since he doesn't mention Karpov after 'most notably' I suppose Smyslov_Fan is right here too, though I was also under the impression that Karpov was a member - after all, if Garry was forced to become one, why wouldn't they do the same to the World Champ?

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #72 - 08/07/05 at 01:57:45
Post Tools
Smyslov-fan,

Im, afraid I cant provide websites to prove the validity over what ive written about karpov & kaspy. All that i've written came from what i remembered from the newspapers eons & eons ago!  It was the papers which said that karpov was a member of the communist party. I remembered it well cos it was such a unique piece of info - world chess champ + communist party member!

Anyway, if the current sources say otherwise, i back down. Lips Sealed. Perhaps even papers can make mistakes too i suppose. Shocked

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #71 - 08/07/05 at 01:31:52
Post Tools
Woofwoof,

I love to argue as much as the next guy, and probably a whole lot more.  8)

However, there just isn't a point in arguing over something that can be looked up.  It's like, well, arguing over facts.

Kasparov did indeed join the Party in part because he was an outsider and Karpov, who gained all the benefits of being the ultimate insider, never had to join.  When you find websites that show otherwise, let me know.

In the mean time, I may boither to look it up in any of a number of different sources.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #70 - 08/05/05 at 19:44:53
Post Tools
Quote:
Therefore Kasparov (born Weinstein) was a Party member but Karpov (who enjoyed all the favors of a super star in the USSR) was not.

It's the other way round. Karpov was the member of the Communist Party, Kasparov was a 'rebel'. I remember this very clearly cos one of my mates hated Karpov for this very reason. So even during Karpov & Kasparov matches, me mate supported Kaspy cos he saw it as a match against communism. There was animosity betn the two because of their respective political leanings. Now with Kaspy out of chess...... he formed his own political party against Putin. So it can clearly be seen that Kaspy was rebel from the very beginning!

IP Logged

Sacapawn

International Master

Reply #69 - 08/05/05 at 19:42:15
Post Tools
I consulted Jeff Sonas site www.chessmetrics.com to find an answer.

Euwe has to lowest average peak rating for all time spans (1,2,3,4,5,10, 15 and 20 years) of all World Champions. Spassky has the second lowest except for 20 years where Tal is second lowest and Spassky third lowest.

On the other hand Spassky has lowest number of months ranked as number 1 in the world: 5 months in 1966. Euwe was ranked no. 1 for 8 months in 1936 and 6 months in 1937.

So maybe its a tie between Euwe and Spassky.

Steinitz has got 35% of the votes. I don't understand how the voters reasoned considering that Steinitz was the dominating player in the world during 1870's and 1880's, winning most tournaments and beating all rivals. Unlike Lasker he didn't avoid the strongest opponents.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #68 - 08/05/05 at 18:54:46
Post Tools
History is interesting.  I've got nothing against history.  I just wanted to say something about the upsdide-down idea of debating which one of a group of very strong players was the "weakest".  The arguments concerning "who was a nazi" and if Keres was forced to let Botvinnik win and stuff like that, well, go ahead and figure it out.  I'm not interested enough now in that stuff to comment.  Doesn't mean it's not interesting.   Grin

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #67 - 08/05/05 at 17:26:27
Post Tools
Quote:
I'll bypass the historical discussion, and slightly get back to the topic.

???

Wow!  Well that clears that up.  And here I was thinking I had a chance of beating the consensus weakest champion...

We may be playing with Cleopatra's nose a little bit here, but history is very relevant and rather interesting.  It probably doesn't make me a better player, but I do like to know about chess history, and these kinds of musings can make for pleasant diversions from all the Fritz-generated variations on all the other discussion threads.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #66 - 08/05/05 at 16:57:32
Post Tools
I'll bypass the historical discussion, and slightly get back to the topic. 

These guys were all very strong players (some still are).  How else could they have got to the top?  For patzers like us (yes, including me) to debate which of them was the "weakest" seems silly.  That's like saying a 500 pound grizzly bear is "weaker" than a 600 pound grizzly, who is "weaker" than a 700 pound grizzly, etc.  They will all kill you quite easily.   Wink

Imagine going to a boxing discussion site, if one exists, and finding boxing fans arguing about which heavyweight champ was "the weakest."  Was Jack Dempsey "weaker" than Rocky Marciano?  Was Larry Holmes "weaker" than Floyd Patterson?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #65 - 08/05/05 at 14:59:48
Post Tools
BTW,

I do agree with previous comments that Keres' situation was tenuous, but the timeline is important.  Yes, Botvinnik did actually step in to protect Keres.  Keres was not given much time to prepare for the tournament and perhaps he felt a personal debt to Botvinnik.  The idea of him throwing games doesn't fit with Bronstein's description of Keres as a knight of chess who seemed to rise himself at the very thought of a tournament! (See Zurich International...1953)

The USSR Sporting Committee decided that Keres was not guilty of being a Nazi sympathizer and allowed him to join the Communist party before the tournament. As Kasparov was later to point out, one joined the Party if one wasn't already a favorite.  Therefore Kasparov (born Weinstein) was a Party member but Karpov (who enjoyed all the favors of a super star in the USSR) was not.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #64 - 08/05/05 at 14:40:10
Post Tools
Apparently there's a little known clause in FIDE's rejection of the Botvinnik Rule:  Botvinnik himself was grandfathered in.  That means, he still had the right to challenge Petrosian in a rematch if he wanted to.  Shocked He declined (and this time he was right to because Petrosian woulda beaten the old champion in '64 too!).  Botvinnik cited health reasons for not challenging again, and when you consider how old he was, he probably was telling the truth!

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #63 - 08/05/05 at 13:43:26
Post Tools
I see!!! so FIDE changed the rules!! No wonder the other Soviets after him did not get a privalage of a rematch. Thanks TJ!  Smiley

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #62 - 08/05/05 at 13:25:12
Post Tools
Botvinnik retired because FIDE had changed the rules so he wouldn't get a return match...

That only B enjoyed this is of course due to 1) that he was the first fide champ and 2) he was soviet and thus had the support of the soviet and other eastblock delegates in fide's congress.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #61 - 08/05/05 at 11:12:17
Post Tools
Quote:
woofwoof: Botvinnik didn't get a returnmatch with Petrosian, if he had he might have been champ another 20 years! Wink

No rematch here cos Botvinnik chose to retire. He went on to try & develop chess computers. Smiley

"But other than that, I don't think a return match is unnatural or unsporting. If you really are a stronger player than the champ, it shouldn't be so hard to beat him twice."

True. But it still does not explain why a rematch  was applicable to Botvinnik alone & not the rest, during his era.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #60 - 08/05/05 at 10:40:11
Post Tools
"Moreover, Botvinnik was especially selective in who was invited to the 1948 AVRO tournament at which he won the title."
I agree with Smyslov_Fan and largely with TalJechin here. The AVRO tournament was of course in 1938, not in 1948. The five strongest players participated. Maybe Fine should have been replaced by Najdorf, but I do not think Najdorf would have stand a chance. Something one must know, is the agreement of 1939. The plan was, that Keres would play a match against Euwe - which actually took place and Keres won. The other match would have been Fine against Botvinnik. The winners were expected to play again and that winner against Alekhine. So the match-tournament of 1948 was indeed the best solution; pity that Fine withdrew.
Not so long ago I read a comment by Kortsjnoj on Keres and the conspiracy theory. I think Kortsjnoj came close to the truth. After 1945 until 1948 Estonia suffered more from Sovjet occupation than it had from Nazi occupation - with the exception of the jews of course, who were exterminated. It is likely, that Keres had to fear transportation to the mines of Siberia. According to Kortsjnoj it was Botvinnik who prevented this. One can imagine, that these events were not encouraging Keres to perform well against Botvinnik.
Fact is, that Keres was not allowed to participate in the Staunton tournament in Groningen, immediately after the war.
I must say, that this theory looks probable to me, considering the characters of Botvinnik and Keres and the political circumstances of 1945-1948.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #59 - 08/05/05 at 10:08:35
Post Tools
woofwoof: Botvinnik didn't get a returnmatch with Petrosian, if he had he might have been champ another 20 years! Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #58 - 08/05/05 at 10:05:21
Post Tools
Quote:
There is one final point to make about why Keres was supposedly singled out to lose games.  There have been those who said that Keres was encouraged to lose because he was Estonian.  Yet a decade later a player from the next Baltic state over won the right to play Botvinnik for the title.  He was not reprimanded, he was glorified for his crushing defeat of Smyslov and others.  Of course, I am talking about Mikhail Tal.

I do not defend the horrors of the Soviet system, but there is no evidence that Botvinnik was complicit in any scheme to throw matches.  The worst that can be said of him is that a) he was overbearing and b) he actively lobbied for the "Botvinnik rule" which granted him a re-match within a year of losing any match.

Well, the comparison between Keres and Tal limps a bit since the latter resulted in an all Soviet WCh showing off the total Soviet domination. While Keres was a risk for that dominance, since he'd played in Nazi Germany and not being a true Soviet communist etc, so naturally they would prefer the devoted Botvinnik and probably did tell Keres that famous: 'if Botvinnik doesn't win it should not be because of you...'

I looked at the games Keres-Botvinnik some years ago and got convinced that some of them looked very suspicious. And I definitely don't believe Keres would normally play below par just because he had a dry position to play. All top players know that sometimes against weaker players you need to take some risks to win in such cases, but they all know how to draw these against their peers!

On the other hand, I don't believe Botvinnik asked for any unfair priviledges. And thus I don't consider him any dirtier than any other Soviet World Champion, surely they all had connections and took advantage, except perhaps Tal, who fell ill just before the return match in '61 and Botvinnik denied him time to recuperate, which could be another sign who the athorities wanted...

But other than that, I don't think a return match is unnatural or unsporting. If you really are a stronger player than the champ, it shouldn't be so hard to beat him twice. Historically, both Steinitz and Alekhine got return matches and Capa surely regretted he didn't have one stipulated in the contract...

When reading Sosonko's Russian Silhouettes, I got a very favourable impression of Botvinnik. Ultra serious and with bone hard principles, and not one to ever forget an injustice but not unsporting or devious...

Besides, wasn't it B who made sure Kasparov got a fair chance in his first match with Karpov?

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #57 - 08/05/05 at 09:43:00
Post Tools
That was a very enlightening account of that 1948 WCh tournament, Smslov-fan. Thanks very much.

My question about the Botvinnik rule - did it apply exclusively to Botvinnik alone? or did it also apply to other dethroned WCh as well?? Its a bit confusing here - In the book on the 1972 match by C H O D Alexander, he wrote that Spassky by his play in the match definitely earns him a right to a return match against Fischer. But there was no such return match, & Spassky was challenging Karpov in the candidates final to meet Fischer in 1975. Likewise there was no return match for Tigran after 1969. He ended up among those vying for a chance to play Spassky in 72 losing to  Fischer in the candidates semis 1971.

So... if it applies exclusively to Botvinnik alone, thats rather unfair. By this rule alone Botvinnik escaped a lot of requalifying thro those interzonals & candidates games to get a second crack at his lost title. This to me is enough to suggest moral cowordice on Botvinnik's part ; great strategist & analyst that he is tho. But whatever the case maybe, he used it to his full advantage! I certainly dont see why Botvinnik should have the privalage to a rematch whilst Petrosian & Spassky had to start all over again. The interesting question here would be- on what merits did he deserve a rematch?? What did he have that Petrosian & Spassky did not have??.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #56 - 08/05/05 at 07:56:26
Post Tools
I'd like to toss in a word (or as is my habit, a ream of words Wink) on Botvinnik before it really starts to snowball.

Botvinnik did not hand pick those who played in the 1948 match-play tournament for the World Championship.  The 1948 tournament ranks as one of the all-time greatest contests, despite what GM Larry Evans was to write nearly fifty years after the fact.  Botvinnik won every single mini-match of the tournament, and did so in extremely convincing style. 

The tournament was originally planned for six players to play five-game matches against each other and the winner would be declared champion.  Given the circumstances, this was most fair for all concerned.  Euwe, as the last living World Champion plus the other top five players were invited.  Reuben Fine declined his invitation.  Smyslov, Keres (about whom so much has been written) and Reshevsky were all there, but the clear favorite was Botvinnik. 

Botvinnik lost only two games in the entire tournament, to Reshevsky and Keres.  He finished three points clear of second place (Smyslov) despite having relaxed in the last series of games. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I have played through the games of this tournament about three times now.  Botvinnik's performance was absolutely amazing, and any claims to the contrary strike me as irrelevant griping.  I am sure he received help from the Soviet Union in the form of the best training facilities and comfortable lodgings, but I am also certain that he won the match fairly. 

Keres, who seems to be everyone's favorite victim in this tournament, beat Smyslov 3-2, lost to Botvinnik 1-4. (The score itself created the controversy because people in the West couldn't believe a player as strong as Keres could be dominated.  But as GM Evans says, just look at the games! Tongue)  Keres lost his match to Reshevsky 2-3, and beat Euwe 4.5-.5.  Maybe that last result should be analysed! Shocked  (Euwe's performance was so abysmal that when he left the Hague where the first half of the tournament was held, he was called "Ik no winnik" -- "I don't win" as a play on Botvinnik's name.)

The conspiracy theories revolving around Keres having to throw games do not match the facts either of this tournament or his subsequent career.  Keres had an exploitable weakness which even non-Soviets took advantage of.  He was not good (against the very best in the world) in relatively dry positions.  He would make absolutely reckless moves that would blind lesser lights, but were butalized by the very best.  His last game against Smyslov in 1953 is a case in point.  Yes, I know what Bronstein has to say in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but Bronstein's comments about the Zurich tournament are not supported by any other player, including himself in earlier writings!

There is one final point to make about why Keres was supposedly singled out to lose games.  There have been those who said that Keres was encouraged to lose because he was Estonian.  Yet a decade later a player from the next Baltic state over won the right to play Botvinnik for the title.  He was not reprimanded, he was glorified for his crushing defeat of Smyslov and others.  Of course, I am talking about Mikhail Tal.

I do not defend the horrors of the Soviet system, but there is no evidence that Botvinnik was complicit in any scheme to throw matches.  The worst that can be said of him is that a) he was overbearing and b) he actively lobbied for the "Botvinnik rule" which granted him a re-match within a year of losing any match.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #55 - 08/05/05 at 01:10:44
Post Tools
Well.... the thought on Botvinnik did occur to me jus that I didnt bring it up as i didnt have enough info for back up. I personally thought that gaining the championship through a tournament was somewhat 'lucky' given that all championships were matches & matches are a more severe test of a players ability. The thought that a champion retains his title after a drawn match is also somewhat questionable to me. Hence Bronstein & Smyslov were really unlucky in that sense to be 'victims' of that rule. But Karpov was even 'luckier' to have gained the championship thro Fischer's withdrawal. But than again while Karpov defended his titile successfully until Kaspy came along, Botvinnik lost and regained his title thro rematches the following year.

The 'Botvinnik rule' which you brought up is a good point & has potential to open up a big discussion. Could he have survived the candidates?? Maybe.  I dunno. Maybe i will chip in something after seeing what you guys have to write about it.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #54 - 08/04/05 at 23:16:35
Post Tools
I expect that this suggestion will be met with howls of derision, but I've been leafing through The Sorcerer's Apprentice this evening, and Bronstein makes no secret of his contempt for Botvinnik.  Could Botvinnik, in fact, be the weakest world champion?

Note that Botvinnik played five matches for the world championship, but only won two of them.  And likely only qualified to win the two he did because of the absurd rule he made up that guaranteed him a rematch should he lose the title (do you really think he could have made it through all the candidates' matches to challenge Smyslov or Tal?).  Moreover, he was especially selective in who was invited to the 1948 AVRO tournament at which he won the title.  In his match with Bronstein, which he drew, he won the final two games after Bronstein was comfortably ahead.  Was Bronstein coerced?  Bronstein also notes that Botvinnik won all his games in that match after adjournments--Bronstein all his at the first sitting.  No one would question Botvinnik's powers of analysis, but he certainly was fallible at the board (same as in his matches with Tal).  Botvinnik was not above avoiding players either, especially Najdorf and others.  Botvinnik also had the ruthless Soviet machine in his corner, which bent over backwards to support him and his claim to the championship.

Just some rambling thoughts...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #53 - 08/04/05 at 22:48:06
Post Tools
Thanks everybody for the information about Petrosjan. I can confirm, that he still is a national hero of Armenia. A couple of years ago I met an immigrant from Armenia in The Netherlands. He had no clue about chess, but was very pleased, when I dropped the name of the WCh.
Spielmann's open letter J'accuse is also in Michael Ehn's book. Except that it shows Spielmann fine and subtle sense of humour, I do not quite understand what happened. I can not think of any reason, why Alekhine should behave hostile against Spielmann. The latter did not belong to the top anymore for 5 years. OK, Spielmann had robbed Alekhine from the tournament win in Karlsbad 1923. But in the other big tournaments of the early 30'ies Spielmann also participated, without Alekhine causing problems.
I do not think Spielmann was excluded from the AVRO tournament because of anti-semitism. Spielmann played in the Noordwijk tournament of the same year on recommendation of Euwe and performed very badly.
Taljechin, we Dutchies can be proud of your last reason to consider Euwe the weakest WCh!

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #52 - 08/04/05 at 15:41:29
Post Tools
Bronstein also says he met Petrosjan for the first time in Tblisi in 1942 in the sorcerer's apprecentice.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #51 - 08/04/05 at 14:41:30
Post Tools
As is so often the case, the more I research something the less I know.

Petrosian played his first tournaments in Tblisi and he played for the Georgian Championship numerous times.  His father, Vartan, was a caretaker at the Officer's House in Tbilisi, and he grew up playing Turkish checkers and nardy  (a board game popular throughout the Caucuses).  He played the "Armenian Variation" of the QGD in a simul against Capablanca, which was supposedly named after him. 

He was the Champion of Georgia in 1945 and of Armenia in 1946.  Igor Bondarevsky urged that he move to Moscow to play with the strongest players in the Soviet Union (apparently Bondarevsky wasn't worried about what "strong" means  Grin).  Petrosian often returned to play in tournaments in Tblisi, but rarely to Yerevan. 

I'd like to find out which team(s) he played for in the USSR Team Championships.  All I've found so far is a record of his games and that he played top board.  Does anyone have any more info on him?  (My main sources are Shekhtman's The Games of Tigran Petrosian, vol I & II(1991) and Chessbase.)

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #50 - 08/04/05 at 14:11:41
Post Tools
Well according to Google, Tigran was born in Tibilisi (- only one source claimed Armenia), but I'm still not convinced that made him Georgian though...

Found an interesting discussion with some anecdotes at

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=16149

Btw, check out the Spielmann link at the bottom, with his J'accuse letter to Alekhine. Another speculaltion mentions that Spielmann wasn't invited to AVRO 1938 perhaps because he was jewish - if this was the reason(?), then I suppose Big Al(ekhine) wasn't the only anti-semite... Undecided

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #49 - 08/04/05 at 13:34:26
Post Tools
Quote:
Well, if both his parents were Armenian, then he should be Armenian too, but perhaps with a double nationality as some countries automatically gives away citizenship to those born there. But you still haven't revealed your source of information - hope it's not Ripley's Believe It or Not! Smiley

i got it from: http://www.chesscorner.com/worldchamps/petrosian/petrosian.htm

not very much info. but enough to verify that he was born in georgia.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #48 - 08/04/05 at 12:59:03
Post Tools
Well, if both his parents were Armenian, then he should be Armenian too, but perhaps with a double nationality as some countries automatically gives away citizenship to those born there. But you still haven't revealed your source of information - hope it's not Ripley's Believe It or Not! Smiley

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #47 - 08/04/05 at 11:57:32
Post Tools
Quote:
I

Source? This sounds incredible to my ears, as -ian is a typical ending of Armenian names, (and -shvili of Georgian names). Not to mention the statue of Petrosian in Erevan and his status of Armenian folk hero.

I checked out Petrosian's childhood details. He was born in Tbilisi, Georgia to Armenian parents. I too thought it impossible that Tigran was georgian before this. But definitely he settled in Armenia later in life.

Oh! another typical georgian ending name is -dze

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #46 - 08/04/05 at 11:34:13
Post Tools
I don't think we should judge anyone, especially not upon hearsay or on his reaction in a very difficult time in history.
Immediately after the war, there were many who took the chance of pointing out scapegoats to avoid their own actions being scrutinized. And many of those persecuted, were hardly morally guilty - for example women who had had relationships with german soldiers were also ostracized by their peers as well as their children...

Quote:
Petrosian was a Georgian who grew up in Tblisi, not Armenia.

Source? This sounds incredible to my ears, as -ian is a typical ending of Armenian names, (and -shvili of Georgian names). Not to mention the statue of Petrosian in Erevan and his status of Armenian folk hero.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #45 - 08/04/05 at 11:29:15
Post Tools
It cant be denied that prophylaxis IS effective but it definitely isnt pretty. I liken chess to my other favourite sport -football in that I firmly believe it should be played in a free flow attractive attacking style.

In the recent UEFA European Nations Championships the attractive attacking Czechs & Portuguese both lost to the Greeks who played football 'Petrosian style' - Closing down play, tight marking, impenetrable defense & hitting back when teams over reach themselves. Their football wasnt pretty but it was effective cos it won them the Cup! So much so that 'ugly football' is starting to be seen as the only way to go to avoid defeat even more so when the stakes are so high now. So much for Pele proclaiming football the beautiful game!

So i will still stand by this lack of 'positive' attitude argument on people like Petrosian(or the greek football team). This avoidance of defeat stance just kills the look & true spirit of chess (and football). That to me is weak. It is effective but.... the fruits of such an attitude is weak.

But what I found interesting about petrosian is that he was once upon a time an aggressor!! In that article (dunno where) it said that because he was such an aggressor he could sense out even the most subtle tactical/strategical implications of his opponents moves so keenly that he could straight away snuff it out effectively OTB.

But if it makes any of you petrosian fans out there feel better.... all that ive written  is just my personal opinion. Fischer did consider petrosian as one of the 10 greatest players of all time in 1970. I suppose Fischer's word carries more weight than mine. Wink

@smyslov-fan. You are right abt Tal. Its admirable how despite his illness & suffering he can still produce decent games against the best. But alas! its obvious all the hospitalisations & medical appointments etc also distracted his focus to a certain extent. So while he could still play galantly it wasnt enough to bring him to challenge for another championship seriously. For the spirit is willing but the flesh was weak. Sad Who knows what might have happened if he wasnt ill?? But the strength of his spirit to go on doing what he loves despite his suffering is indeed  something of virtue. Oh! Im very certain  that Fischer never played Lasker!

@MnB- I agree wth you about Lasker. I really couldnt believe it that he played Janovski twice!! Needless to say the guy was trashed! Lasker could have played capa 10 yrs earlier but didnt!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #44 - 08/04/05 at 09:11:55
Post Tools
MNb,

Petrosian was a Georgian who grew up in Tblisi, not Armenia.  His brother was drafted and presumed dead while the Nazis invaded the Caucuses.  The shock of his brother's death (which was misreported) killed his mother. His father also died during the war due to illness.  He reports that his best friend in 1941 had been evacuated from Kharkov.  In a very real sense, even though Tblisi itself was not overrun, his homeland was.

He claims that his style was informed by Nimzovich, Capablanca and his teacher, Ebralidze. Ebralidze believed in "the infallibility of strategic laws and could for hours seek a refutation of some attack or combination, if only, in his opinion, the position did not permit a "forcible" solution."  (The Games of Tigran Petrosian, Vol. 1(1991) p.17)  

He refused to rush into attacking positions even though the Soviet press berated his play regularly in the 1950s as being too stodgy.  A weaker person would almost certainly have caved into the pressure to play more "attractive" chess.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #43 - 08/04/05 at 08:41:30
Post Tools
Taljechin,

We should judge a person within the context of the times in which they lived.  With that in mind, almost the entire chess community ostracized Alekhin after the war and Alekhin himself felt it necessary to come up with some weak and at least partially untruthful defenses for his actions (which is a generous description).  Yes, I'm sure he was under pressure.  But others who were under pressure managed to locate their moral compasses.

This does nothing to take away from his tremendous contributions to chess.  His greatest games collection still has a prominent place in my library and was one of the most influential books in my chess development.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #42 - 08/04/05 at 06:47:40
Post Tools
Quote:
Fair enough. But only two famous chessplayers wrote disgusting articles to please the nazi-rulers: Alekhine and Diemer.
Euwe at the other hand has helped Dutch jews to escape from nazi-prosecution.

Well, according to the rumours Diemer was a convinced nazi even after the war... And Fischer's current writings and speeches are at least as bad as Alekhine's, but Bobby hasn't much of an excuse at all, except possible insanity...

Btw, Korchnoi recently expressed the opinion that no one becomes really good in chess by being a nice guy.
- So, Euwe saving Jews during the war may in fact qualify him as by far the weakest world champion of them all! Wink

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #41 - 08/04/05 at 06:28:31
Post Tools
Fair enough. But only two famous chessplayers wrote disgusting articles to please the nazi-rulers: Alekhine and Diemer.
Euwe at the other hand has helped Dutch jews to escape from nazi-prosecution.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #40 - 08/04/05 at 05:29:51
Post Tools
As I remember it, Alekhine didn't avoid giving Capablanca a return match - he only set the same terms as Capa did, put up 10 000 in gold and we'll talk about it...

As for the nazi accusations, Alekhine did write some antisemitic pamplets and participated in nazi tournaments (like Stoltz, Mattisons and many more). But given that Nazi Germany wasn't very fond of slavs either, who knows for sure what kind of pressure Alekhine was under?

It's easy to judge in the safety of our current safety & stability - and conveniently forget that most of the civilised world 65 years ago would be clearly racist by today's standards. Nazi-Germany was certainly not first to single out some ethnic groups and persecute them in different ways.

In the US blacks weren't allowed to use the same bench, rest room or bus as white folks and a further 60 years back, chinese immigrants could be murdered practically with impunity as a white man could only be convicted on the testimony of another white man. But that was hardly Pillsbury's fault...

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #39 - 08/04/05 at 05:21:16
Post Tools
Quote:
Taljechin,

Regarding Tigran Petrosian:  He was the best blitz player in the Soviet Union yes, even better than my favorite player of the time, Mikhail Tal. Petrosian grew up during WWII and saw his homeland destroyed.  He was the consummate fighter, but hated losing more than he loved winning.  He believed that the World Champion was little more than the first among equals, and treated his opponents with perhaps too much respect.  This was definitely not weakness.Undecided

I think Petrosian's enormous talent manifested in sensing danger, prophylaxis and slowing down sharp line. The difference between him and Karpov is that, imho, Karpov could creat active play much better.

CastleRock

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #38 - 08/03/05 at 23:08:09
Post Tools
"Petrosian grew up during WWII and saw his homeland destroyed."
The homeland of Petrosjan was Armenia. The German nazi's came far, but not that far.
We should remember, that Petrosjan developed a sharp way to combat the Queen's Indian: 4.a3, which gave Kasparov so much success around 1980. Somewhere I have read, that Petrosjan turned to his ultra-solid defensive style, because he spoiled some attacking games. I do not know if this is true.

I do not know, if Alekhine holds the title for moral cowardice. From 1925 until 1929 Bogo had hardly worse tournament results than Capa: Moscow 1925, Bad Kissingen 1928, Berlin BSG 1928. Then in 1930 Capa more or less withdrew, while Alekhine proved his strength in San Remo etc. OK, the 1934 match was superfluous. But in 1935 Euwe was a logical choice. Eight years before Alekhine had won an informal match with the narrowest possible margin. In Zürich 1934 Euwe shared 2nd place behind Alekhine.
Numbers: Alekhine defended his title three times from 1927 until 1935. Capa waited six years after defeating Lasker.
Moral coward number one in my opinion was Lasker though. Around 1900 both Tarrasch and Pillsbury deserved a match. Instead Lasker simply did not defend his title from 1896 until 1907 and then chose Marshall, a Tarrasch, who already had lost his greatest strength and two times Janowsky. Lasker's only strong opponent was Schlechter and prompt Lasker could not win. And of course Lasker avoided Rubinstein between 1910 and 1914. No surprise, that Lasker holds the record in years.

Finally Alekhine was not the only collaborator. Bogo was member of the NSDAP and Keres did not object either to play for the nazi's.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #37 - 08/03/05 at 19:32:56
Post Tools
Willempie,

Spassky did indeed lose to Karpov and Korchnoi in Candidates Matches.  Were Karpov and Korchnoi simply better than Spassky at his best ??? Korchnoi wasn't, but if you're right you have just made a very strong argument for Spassky being the weakest World Champion ever. 

Spassky was able to raise the level of his game occassionally after 1972 but was never the lion he was in the late 1960s. 

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #36 - 08/03/05 at 18:48:10
Post Tools
Quote:
Petrosian, Lasker, Taimanov and Spassky all lost badly to Fischer and never fully recovered.  Perhaps it was time to pass on the generational torch, or perhaps Fischer was so powerful that he demolished his opponents' spirits.  If you believe the latter (and Taimanov's Selected Games supports that thesis), then perhaps Spassky can be forgiven for losing his taste for the kill.  I dunno. Undecided

Spassky never recovered??
Run through the games of his match against Karpov in 74. I cant judge the level, but according to Timman and Spassky himself he played better than in 72. Spassky also said that that match was when he was at his best.
Not to mention that 3 years later he played again in the candidates final.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #35 - 08/03/05 at 17:47:12
Post Tools
Quote:
then perhaps Spassky can be forgiven for losing his taste for the kill.  I dunno.

Probably, even Spassky himself doesn't know. As he said himself during some analysis in the commenting room when he was in Malmö, playing the Sigeman's TM.

I used to be a lion, but now I'm a rabbit!

Certainly a pity, but I still think that when in his prime he was the first complete chess player, or first modern grandmaster.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #34 - 08/03/05 at 16:52:06
Post Tools
Taljechin,

That's a great story about Spassky and Kasparov.  I have heard something like that before, but I have no idea if it's true. 

Woofwoof, you made some very interesting comments.

Regarding Tigran Petrosian:  He was the best blitz player in the Soviet Union yes, even better than my favorite player of the time, Mikhail Tal. Petrosian grew up during WWII and saw his homeland destroyed.  He was the consummate fighter, but hated losing more than he loved winning.  He believed that the World Champion was little more than the first among equals, and treated his opponents with perhaps too much respect.  This was definitely not weakness.

Regarding Smyslov:  I hadn't heard the story about his crisis of faith, but that he was able to play such amazing chess and be (a rarity among chessplayers) a well-rounded person even after losing the championship speaks volumes for his strength of character.  In fact, any Soviet player who survived both "The Great Patriotic War" and Stalin and Khruschev and Brezhnev is not weak in my book.

Tal's illnesses are legendary, but so are his performances despite his illness.  If strength can be said to be overcoming adversity, then Tal is one of the strongest players of all time.

Lasker was a great fighter when he was at the chess board, and his match against Capablanca should never have happened.  But if you want to see how strong he was, you need look no farther than the St. Petersburg tournament when by all rights he should already have retired.

If you are looking for moral cowardice, Alekhin (whose chess remains one of my favorites) takes the title.  I don't begrudge him not facing Capablanca in a rematch (which I think he would have won).  I do hold his pro-fascist statements against him.  As a world champion chess player and a first-rate thinker, for him to claim ignorance of what the NAZIs were is sickening.

Spassky's lack of fighting spirit is an interesting topic.  He was notorious for taking important losses badly.  Early in his career, he lost a crucial game to Tal (or was it Bronstein?  I don't remember now) that he was winning and took nearly a decade to recover his form.

Petrosian, Lasker, Taimanov and Spassky all lost badly to Fischer and never fully recovered.  Perhaps it was time to pass on the generational torch, or perhaps Fischer was so powerful that he demolished his opponents' spirits.  If you believe the latter (and Taimanov's Selected Games supports that thesis), then perhaps Spassky can be forgiven for losing his taste for the kill.  I dunno. Undecided

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #33 - 08/03/05 at 11:33:37
Post Tools
Quote:
Spassky.... just wasnt the same after 1972. Psychologically & morally defeated? I know he was treated like a pariah in the USSR after his defeat to Fischer. on the decline or past his prime?? I suppose all the above  contributed to that apparent 'decline' in a big or small way. ......so hmmm where do we put him? He still remains as one of my favourites regardless.

In Spassky's case I'd guess that the financial security he secured by losing his title deprived him of his biggest motivation for fighting chess.

Btw, does anyone here know if the following story I've heard is true?

In a game between Spassky and Kasparov in Iceland(?) late 80s(?) Spassky sacs a pawn as white in a closed sicilian, and offers a draw. Garry declines.
A few moves later Spassky sacs another pawns and says: 'If you don't take the draw this time, I will crush you!'
Garry thinks about ten minutes and then accepts the draw...

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #32 - 08/03/05 at 11:13:24
Post Tools
I still feel compelled to stick up for poor old Tigran.  He drew a lot of games, but he won more than his fair share as well.  Keep in mind that he was part of that generation of Soviet players who played a lot of "grandmaster draws" with his compatriots in order to save energy for the other opponents, so the statistics might be a little misleading.  While it's true that Petrosian was more comfortable building an impenetrable position to sacrificing material for the initiative, it is telling that his approach--effectively waiting for his opponent to develop a weakness--was highly effective.  It's a sign of an extraorinarily talented player that he could play quietly while not succumbing to passivity.  I'd question whether Petrosian really played not to lose, but the bigger point is that his style was highly effective and not a sign of weakness...

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #31 - 08/03/05 at 10:35:56
Post Tools
hi HgMan.

You are right about Smyslov there. I wasnt questioning those qualities of his actually. I was refering more to his state of religious faith actually. His defeat to Botvinnik was really a faith crises in a way.

Petrosian?? hmmmm..... True, he defended his title. True his style influenced Kramnik & Karpov. But how do we account for his high nomber of draws?? Even Karpov didnt have such a high percentage of career draws. I personally think that in not trying to win or playing where avoiding defeat is the priority isnt  particularly 'positive'. (at least for me)

Spassky.... just wasnt the same after 1972. Psychologically & morally defeated? I know he was treated like a pariah in the USSR after his defeat to Fischer. on the decline or past his prime?? I suppose all the above  contributed to that apparent 'decline' in a big or small way. ......so hmmm where do we put him? He still remains as one of my favourites regardless.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #30 - 08/03/05 at 09:58:08
Post Tools
Some puzzling definitions, here.  Tal and Fischer were definitely victims of poor health.  Calling Smyslov spiritually weak seems a bit, well, weak.  He remains one of the greatest practitioners of the endgame of all-time and was still playing top level chess more than thirty years after being dethroned.  For what it's worth, Karpov traditionally showed signs of weakness in the later stages of matches against Korchnoi and Kasparov--perhaps signs of physical strain or spiritual resolve (or just over-confidence)--but I would never label him a weak player or world champion.  And I'm not sure it's terribly fair to call a world champion not very positive.  Petrosian held the chess crown (and defended it!) with a style that ultimately has been successful for Karpov and Kramnik.  Prophylaxis may not be the most exciting kind of chess, but it sure as heck isn't weak.  And to say that Spassky had no fighting spirit?  Hmm...

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #29 - 08/03/05 at 09:38:17
Post Tools
i was reading this thread with interest. It suddenly occurred to me that the definition of 'weak' here is not at all well defined. Weak in what sense?? Skillswise, physical wise, easy opponents or what??  Pretty lively discussion on poor Euwe!

So here are my thoughts on "weak"

1) physically weak - that will have to be my favorite players Fischer (i know he's not on the list) & Tal Sad. Tal was plagued with ill kidneys hence wasnt really fit to play his utmost after 1960. Fischer  sort of lost his mind with all that KGB attempting to asassinate him after winning the championship. Very sad that he is even more mad now with all that anti jewish rhetoric.

2) Spiritually weak - Smyslov. he was really devastated after losing the rematch to Botvinnik cos he actually believed God was dictating moves to him.

3) weak as in not wanting to contend with the best challengers or 'cowordly'- Alekhine & Staunton. Alekhine refused a rematch with Capa. He also chose 'sub std' opponents in the form of Bogoljubov & perhaps Euwe.....ooops! Staunton avoided Morphy all the way.

4) Weak as in not playing really quality games or 'positively'- Petrosian. he drew more games than he won even with lesser opponents.

5) Weak as in no fighting spirit - Lasker & Spassky. Lasker played Capa out of formality; he already had in mind to relinquish it to Capa. Spassky after 1972 just never recovered even though he played better than in 72 but doubtful if near the quality of 1966 & 1969.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #28 - 08/03/05 at 05:55:25
Post Tools
"If memory serves, and it usually doesn't, Euwe beat a drunk Alekhine the first time round and lost to a sober Alekhine in the rematch"
This is an urban chess legend, so your memory works as bad as ever.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/03/05 at 00:11:54
Post Tools
Stientz for lack fo flexibility

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #26 - 08/01/05 at 20:47:32
Post Tools
I dunno about yall, but describing and World Champion as 'weakest' is beginning to give me the Willies. Grin

This thread is just a bit too creepy for me, I feel like its offensive to Caissa or something.

Topscotch Grin

Postscript: If memory serves, and it usually doesn't, Euwe beat a drunk Alekhine the first time round and lost to a sober Alekhine in the rematch. So beating the best, is a somewhat relative thing methinks.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #25 - 08/01/05 at 19:21:05
Post Tools
Quote:
Willempie,

Let's make a trade, the Dutch can have Bobby Fischer and the US can claim the legacy of Max Euwe! 8)  That way, you Dutch can have a neo-NAZI and we can have a great gentleman.  Oh of course, you would get the better chess player.  Tongue  Oops. Embarrassed

I am not sure about the better chessplayer, but I am sure about the better man.
Anyway Euwe isnt like Capa, Tal or Petrosian beating an old man, he beat the very best, just like Kramnik did with Kasparov or Kasparov with Karpov

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #24 - 08/01/05 at 18:52:30
Post Tools
Willempie,

Let's make a trade, the Dutch can have Bobby Fischer and the US can claim the legacy of Max Euwe! 8)  That way, you Dutch can have a neo-NAZI and we can have a great gentleman.  Oh of course, you would get the better chess player.  Tongue  Oops. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #23 - 08/01/05 at 17:57:44
Post Tools
Quote:
Wasn't euwe Dutch?

Thanks

Topst Turvey Grin

Yeah if he was american he wouldnt even be in that list. The one american missing in this list beat someone who is not considered the absolute best, while the dutchy did Wink

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #22 - 08/01/05 at 17:07:43
Post Tools
Wasn't euwe Dutch?

Thanks

Topsy Turvey Grin
« Last Edit: 08/01/05 at 20:48:51 by TopNotch »  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #21 - 07/31/05 at 23:54:32
Post Tools
I anxiously await the tallest chess world champions discussion and how that correlates to their relative strengths at different time controls.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #20 - 07/31/05 at 21:54:23
Post Tools
This topic has quieted down a bit, look for a new topic soon! Shocked

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #19 - 07/28/05 at 16:50:50
Post Tools
Btw in boxing Euwe would win Grin

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #18 - 07/26/05 at 21:12:49
Post Tools
"Steinitz invented the term "world champion" and claimed he was it."
Disputable. Staunton considered himself as best of the world long before. To prove this, he organised London 1851. This event was organised similar to the 20th century Candidate Matches. With Bird, Staunton, Anderssen, Löwenthal, Kieseritzky and Szén participating, there are hardly objections to declare the winner world champion.
Anderssen hardly played less games than Fischer.
I have removed Smyslov from my list in my previous post.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #17 - 07/26/05 at 09:00:45
Post Tools
Still dont agree that Smyslov had it that tough, he had to win tournaments not matches to earn the right of challenge, the same goes for Tal btw. Spassky, Fischer, Karpov and Kasparov had to win matches to get there.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #16 - 07/26/05 at 07:14:10
Post Tools
Some random thoughts:

It's unfair to compare the number of games won against other world champions.  Steinitz didn't have too many world champions to play against, neither did Lasker, Capablanca, or even Alekhine.  The 1950s and 60s saw the most world champions, and therefore gave the greatest opportunity for strong players to beat up on former world champs in the 1960s and 1970s.  

For the record, Smyslov played in four, not two world championships, including 1948.

One of the hardest things to accomplish was to win the candidates cycle twice during the heyday of FIDE (1948-81), yet Spassky and Smyslov did this twice each!  Tigran Petrosian may not have won as many games as others, but he also lost fewer.  (Kramnik also has a very low loss percentage.)  

Another way to look at world champions (that isn't quite fair) is to compare the number of times they successfully defended their title.  Botvinnik has the dubious distinction of having never won a World Championship match as World Champion.  He also holds the record, like Muhammed Ali in boxing, for the most comebacks (he never lost a return match).  Of course, he had the "Botvinnik rule" to help him.  

Capablanca, Tal,  Karpov and Kasparov all were ranked Number 1 in the world in rating (or in Capa's case performance) after they had lost the title.  Smyslov was so great that in 1983 he played in the semi-finals for the world championship against Kasparov, 30 years after his great victory at Zurich.

It's also unfair to say that one person held the title for only one year and another held it for three years if they both lost on the very first defense.  In fact, as Tal said immediately after winning the title, It's great to win, but the elections come around too soon.

Oh yeah,  Steinitz invented the term "world champion" and claimed he was it.  So he was the first official world champ, and Kasparov was "lucky" 13.  There have been fourteen official world champions (not including FIDE KO). 

Only three world champions won the title without defeating the former world champion in a match:  Steinitz, Botvinnik, and Karpov.

Some players who were clearly the best of their era include:  Philidor, Alexander McDonnell and Louis de Labourdonnais, Howard Staunton, Paul Morphy, and Adolph Anderssen.  However, our records of their performance are so scanty that no reasonable argument could be formed as to how good they really were.  Very few of their games remain, and even fewer were played in anything like tournament conditions.

Anyway these are just some random thoughts.

IP Logged

chessy

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #15 - 07/26/05 at 05:05:02
Post Tools
Well LT.....

I agree that kramnik is not in a good shape and has a trough at the moment.

But at least to me, he has proved that he is an ecellent chessplayer. I enjoyed his early d4 games i liked how convincing he defeated kasparov.

I agree also that maybe many player dislike Kramnik. A reason for this might be that he has a less agressive style as for instance Kasparov. But I like Kramnik, expecially as i never heard of any scandal about him in behaving.

So basicly I do not agree to your statment. The current Fide ranking is obvious a trough. And about Fritz...  few years ago, when computer were weaker than now, Kramnik had 2800 fide points. This proves that  he can play chess and not only have memorized computer analyses otherwise his strength would be growing together with the computer enginzes......

I do not know what is the reason for his trough but to me Kramnik is a worty world champion and I hope he will find his old shape again.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #14 - 07/26/05 at 04:42:16
Post Tools
LT, I think you might be confusing "weak" with "unpopular."

Just a side thought, how many people have broken 2800?  OK, Kasparov, of course, but wasn't there someone else?  The name eludes me...starts with a "K" maybe?  Oh, well, can't remember.  Probably just my imagination...  Guess it was just Kasparov.

OK, enough sarcasm.  I think a discussion on current popularity would muddle the debate, since I think this is more of a historical discussion.  If you want you can start a separate on "Why Kramnik sux!", but I rather you didn't.  Sad

I hope Kramnik comes back in form.  Maybe the heavy use of computers is hindering his creativity and spontaniety?

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

LT

Reply #13 - 07/26/05 at 03:55:51
Post Tools
not sure the reason for this poll,
Kramnik is by far the weakest Chess World Champion ever. We just have to look at his position on the official FIDE rankings. He is not even on the top 5.
I wonder what he would do without Fritz.
Hey Smyslov_Fan,
please just add Kramnik to your list and you will witness the avalanche of votes. I think he deserves to be on this list

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 07/25/05 at 22:10:18
Post Tools
One way to decide this, is looking at WCh being able to beat former, current or future (other) WCh's as BLACK in regular games. Here is the list:
Euwe: 1
Kramnik: 1
Steinitz: 1 or 2 (depending on Anderssen being WCh).
Alekhine: 2
Karpov: 2

Smyslov_Fan considered Spassky the 2nd weakest WCh. But he holds the record, having beaten Smyslov (ouch, that hurts), Tal, Petrosjan, Fischer, Karpov and Kasparov having Black.

Kortsjnoj, Larsen and Geller hold the record for non-WCh's: they all have beaten 7 WCh having Black.
Before WWII it was my beloved Spielmann, who managed to beat Alekhine in Karlsbad 1923, Capablanca in Bad Kissingen 1928 and Euwe 2 times having Black.

Like all other arguments this probably makes absolutely no sense. Cheesy

Another meaningless way to look at this question then: which WCh's played the fewest WCh-matches?
Fischer: 1
Capablanca: 2
Tal: 2
Kramnik: 2
Euwe: 3 (1948 tournament included)
Spassky: 3 (lost 1966 match).
Petrosjan: 3

If possible, my vote would have gone to Ruy Lopez. Grin

BTW: what do you mean with OFFICIAL WCh? The first one recognized by FIDE was Botvinnik!
There are some arguments to consider Anderssen, Morphy and even Staunton having been WCh too.
« Last Edit: 07/26/05 at 22:03:51 by MNb »  

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #11 - 07/25/05 at 21:32:15
Post Tools
A more interesting question is which World Champion was the tallest or perhaps the worst Blitz player. Grin

I heard the American Dake or Denker, I forget which, used to crucify Alekhine at Blitz, to the point that Alekhine wanted to demolish the Board.....literally.

In one one humerous anecdote when Dake was killing Alekhine at Blitz in front of a huge crowd, and Alekhine was visibly becoming quite upset. Dake tried to calm him down by telling him that clearly he, Alekhine, was the superior player so no need to get upset, to which Alekhine angrily retorted: "Yes...you know that...I know that...but these idiots watching don't know that!"

Who says Chess history isn't interesting.

Toppylov  Grin

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #10 - 07/25/05 at 20:54:53
Post Tools
Well as early as 1921 he drew a match against Maroczy and still being a force to be reckoned with in 1953 doesnt make him look weaker than the persons I mentioned. He also beat Alekhine at what probably was his peak, after all the year before Bogoljubow got creamed (again).

BtW this is what Alekhine wrote: “Does the general public, do even our friends the critics realize that Euwe virtually never made an unsound combination? He may, of course, occasionally fail to take account … of an opponent’s combination, but when he has the initiative in a tactical operation his calculation is … impeccable.”

PS Kasparov should be in the list too, after all Steinitz and the others never lost to a machine Grin

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #9 - 07/25/05 at 20:32:25
Post Tools
Why was Kasparov left out of the list  Tongue

Tops  Grin

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #8 - 07/25/05 at 15:50:55
Post Tools
I voted for Max Euwe, despite Willempie's support for his compatriot.

Max Euwe was a great chess player, sportsman, gentleman, and the last amateur to be World Champion.  He beat Alekhin three successive games with the same opening (yes, from the White side and Black side)!  I don't completely believe in the drunk Alekhin myth.  Alekhin himself explained that he didn't start drinking heavily until the end of the match.  He claimed to have underestimated Euwe.  Euwe was still formidable in the early rounds of the great Zurich Candidates' Tournament of 1953, and played well in his homeland in 1946. 

However, I don't see any way that he could have won a match against any of the very best players after WWII.  He finished dead last in the World Championship match of 1948 only two years after Groningen (ten points behind the winner, Botvinnik, and 6.5 points behind Reshevsky who finished second from last).

My own list of weakest players on the list would go something like this:

1. Euwe
2. Spassky
3. Petrosian
4. Tal
5. Steinitz

I know Smyslov is a candidate, but as you can tell, I'm a fan!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 07/25/05 at 15:38:13
Post Tools
Hi again...

Just a quick word on my selection and your criteria for deciding who's weakest.  I left open the criteria precisely so that you can vote for whomever you want, and perhaps send a line explaining why you came to that conclusion.

Again, there were only ten spots, so I had to take some names off.  Yes, a case can be made that Fischer, Capablanca and Kramnik were the weakest.  But since they aren't on this list I hoped to avoid rants about Kramnik and Fischer.  Oh well! Cheesy

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 07/25/05 at 14:06:34
Post Tools
Quote:
Well, they all lost to magnificent players, and won when their titles against magnificent players, so maybe the number of years holding a title is not the best way to separate the weakest. After all, Lasker held it the longest, but avoided his strongest challengers...

Dont exactly agree on Lasker, but you have a point.
My choice was based on both Spassky and Smyslov needing 2 attempts and then losing it immediately afterwards. All the others in the list made it the first time, some of them against the absolute best of their time.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #5 - 07/25/05 at 11:24:27
Post Tools
Quote:
You SHOULD include Fischer on that list, since he's the only World Champion never to have won a single tournament or even a single game of chess. 

Yes, you're right!

And another thing, what definition of weakest is it? Compared to their contemporaries? Or compared to modern standard?

And maybe we should start with a vote on *who should* be on the list before voting? Cheesy

Lasker
Euwe
Fischer
Kramnik

are the only ones that now look obvious to me, but I'm probably the only one with that exact line up...  Undecided

Quote:
I voted Smyslov though I was thinking to vote Spassky, but he had the title 2 years longer. Tal will I think never be voted in such a competition, though he may very well be the best candidate, but his style kind of forbids it to vote him as weak.

Well, they all lost to magnificent players, and won when their titles against magnificent players, so maybe the number of years holding a title is not the best way to separate the weakest. After all, Lasker held it the longest, but avoided his strongest challengers...

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #4 - 07/25/05 at 10:47:11
Post Tools
Quote:
Voted for Euwe, as with a sober Alekhine he would probably not have become champion at all.

Though I think it's a bit unfair to exclude Kramnik, after all, he's 'defended ' his title once which is more than some of the other guys got time to.

And he's most unconvincing world champion  in modern time imo, if he was included my vote would go to him - after all, Euwe at least gave Alekhine a return match!

So get Kramnik on the list and remove Karpov and Botvinnik! Grin

I'm not so sure which part of the drunk Aljechin is true, it is a bit similar to the stories about Capa playing domino during his lost match.
I voted Smyslov though I was thinking to vote Spassky, but he had the title 2 years longer. Tal will I think never be voted in such a competition, though he may very well be the best candidate, but his style kind of forbids it to vote him as weak.

IP Logged

bravehoptoad

Chess nuts boasting in
an open foyer

Reply #3 - 07/25/05 at 10:39:49
Post Tools
You SHOULD include Fischer on that list, since he's the only World Champion never to have won a single tournament or even a single game of chess. 

Interesting that so far most of the discussion has been about who to include on the voting list....

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/05 at 10:37:45
Post Tools
Voted for Euwe, as with a sober Alekhine he would probably not have become champion at all.

Though I think it's a bit unfair to exclude Kramnik, after all, he's 'defended ' his title once which is more than some of the other guys got time to.

And he's most unconvincing world champion  in modern time imo, if he was included my vote would go to him - after all, Euwe at least gave Alekhine a return match!

So get Kramnik on the list and remove Karpov and Botvinnik! Grin

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 07/25/05 at 10:29:50
Post Tools
hmmm. It seems obvious which 2 have voted so far Wink

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FIDE KO
07/25/05 at 10:13:38
Post Tools
Hi all!
Here's a new twist on an old question:

We all know that the World Champions are among the greatest players ever to have lived, but.....

Willempie and I were discussing who we thought were the weakest Official World Champions of all time (in terms of chess, not kick-boxing Cheesy).  We disagreed, so I thought it would be interesting to set up a poll on the subject!

There are only ten spots available on this poll, so I did not include Capablanca, Fischer or Kasparov because those three are usually listed in most of the Greatest Players ever lists.  I didn't include Vladimir Kramnik because it really is unfair to judge him this early in his tenure.   Every other World Champion is listed.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo