Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Please, refute the BDG if you can. (Read 33663 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Please, refute the BDG if you can.
Reply #80 - 11/14/05 at 15:41:08
Post Tools
Quote:
Ok, so maybe GM Eric Prié who defended the Black's side in a game in the forum against sevenviolet is an amateur? Or somes others players like Markovich who defended the black side against me? Sevenviolet and myself scored 65% after 4 games in the forum and I am ready to challenge anyone with my BDG on blitz or CC play. Yes, CC, you have all your time to find your "refutation" against my gambit, and databases to find the "serious" defenses. As an e4 player, with the BDG move order, it doesn't change anything if my oppopnent plays the French, but if he doesn't, I avoided the 2 mains responses to 1.e4 : 1..c5 and 1..e5, that's the good point of the BDG's move order. Oh and if I play a standard opening, for example 1.d4 and 2.c4, etc, I can say I refuted his Najdorf, he just could not play it, and I avoided it after only 1 move! What a refutation!

More seriously, you, like many others, failed to show that the BDG is REALLY bad. If you want to defend the Black side in a game, and if you believe you can do better than the previous players, let's play a new game here. See you.

If you would care to play on www.net-chess.com, I will be happy to take Black's side of the BDG in some more games against you.  In our game here, you played better moves than I did; but that is not an argument for the BDG.  I admit that it's not an argument against it, either.  I would like to try again, but play here is inconvenient.  www.net-chess.com is public, so anyone here will be able to go there and see our games.  My handle there is "cornstalk."

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

m.emers

Reply #79 - 11/08/05 at 11:17:06
Post Tools
Hello,

I have been reading this and other similar threads on BDG Accepted with great interest. Here is a partial BDG Opening Chart:

1. d4 -----
1. d4 Nf6  2.(Tromp)??
1. d4 g6
1. d4 d6
1. d4 f5
1. d4 d5  2.e4 ------
             2.e4 e6  see C01-C19
             2.e4 c6  see B10-B19
             2.e4 dxe4 (Accepted)

If BDG Accepted is sound and playable for White, there would be a wholesale migration to the BDG. Can you imagine no Sicilian or e5? How about no QGA,QGD,and Slav? That is the soundness of BDG Accepted offers. Nothing but other 1st move defense, French, CK, and BDG Accepted to study as White. Looks good!!---------------------but is Accepted sound and playable???

Have a nice day

IP Logged

Esiotrot
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #78 - 11/08/05 at 06:09:13
Post Tools
This is not a Staunton gambit.

In the Staunton Black captures with the f-pawn. Here he has captured with the d-pawn.

As Mnb states, this is a very important difference, so I have raised it here in this forum as I believe that it is essentially a BDG line not a Dutch one.

From what I can see there are 4 main move for white on move 4.

f3
Bf4
Bg5
Bc4

f3 is a mistake. As Mnb has shown 4.... e5 is very strong here.

Williams and Pinski give Bf4 (to stop e5) as their main line.

Williams gives :-

4. Bf4 Nf6 5. f3 e6 6. fxe4 (6. Bc4 ? Nd5) fxe4 7. Bc4 Nc6
8. Nge2 Na5! 9. Bb3 Nxb3 10. axb3 Bd7 11. Ng3 Bc6 12. 0-0 and now 12 ...Be7 ?! was Benjamin - Malaniuk
- but Williams give 12....Bd6! as =/+ (all annotation is Williams' not mine).

I haven't got Pinski in front of me at the moment, I will check tonight.

Sawyer in BDG Keybook 2 gives 4. Bg5 as his main line. Here 4....g6 (intending Bg7 and Nc6 putting pressure on d4 ) looks interesting, although he does give several other lines.

4.Bc4 is Pocket Fritz's favourite move - it won't play anything else. I haven't gone to deep into it but there are many transpositions into the Bg5 and Bf4 lines.

Esio

Cheesy

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #77 - 11/07/05 at 21:21:50
Post Tools
No. There are similarities, but the difference (Black has not played Nf6 yet) is very important:
1.d4 f5 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4?! dxe4! 4.f3 e5! =+Milov-Kramnik, USSR 1990. Williams does not mention 4.Bg5 though and at the moment I cannot remember, what my objection was against this move.
It looks like 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 f5 is a very underestimated defence.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #76 - 11/07/05 at 12:39:33
Post Tools
Esiotrot : the lines you gave are close to the Staunton gambit : 1.d4 f5 2.e4!? which is perfectly playable. And then : 2..fxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 and here you have 2 main choices, the classical 4.Bg5 and 4.f3!? like in the BDG.

And about 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 f5!? it's in the Dutch territory, close to the positions I just gave (often it transposes), where I think that 4.Bg5 is a bit more precise than the immediate 4.f3.

Here I copy and past what I have said somes month ago about the Staunton gambit in another thread :

"I think the Staunton gambit, with 4.Bg5 is not that bad. But as a BDG player, I like 4.f3 where a line can also arrise from the BDG move order : 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 f5!? 4.f3!? Nf6 5.fxe4 fxe4 and from Staunton gambit move order: 1.d4 f5 2.e4 fxe4 3.Cc3 Nf6 4.f3!? d5 5.dxe4 dxe4 reaching the same position, and the play can follow 6.Bg5 Bf5 7.Bc4 Nc6 8.d5!?(Nge2 is more common)Ne5 9.Bb3 with about equal chance, so I don't say that 4.f3 is better than 4.Bg5 but it is maybe as good. "

If you have any question about the pure Staunton gambit (1.d4 f5 2.e4 fxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 Bg5) tell me, I will try to respond. Maybe the insertion of 2.Nc3 before playing e4 is less precise than the immediate 2.e4 and could explain the ?! from GM Simon Williams.

IP Logged

Esiotrot
YaBB Newbies

Reply #75 - 11/07/05 at 11:59:03
Post Tools
I would like to propose an investigation of the following line if I may:-

1 d4 d5 2 e4 dxe4 3 Nc3 f5

The reason why I am raising this is GM Simon Williams has just this line (by transposition ) in his "Play the Classical Dutch" book. (1 d4 f5 2. Nc3 d5 3. e4 ?! ( the ?! is Williams' ) fxe4).

Pinski also mentions the above line in his book on the Classical Dutch - but awards it !?.

I tried this line in a blitz game and it does have a shock value. However I would like to find out if it's sound in theory as well as practice as I would like to play it over classical time limits.

It would seem that if they are prepared to discuss it, then the line must be worth a further look.

Esio

Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #74 - 11/07/05 at 07:16:40
Post Tools
Quote:
BDG is unsound. I agree with Roman Dzindzichasvilli about that.

He explains :

1. d4  d5  2.  e4  

black answers  2. e4 with   2...e6  and white is now playing against the french defense!!

or  2....c6 and you have the Caro-kann to face.

= BDG refuted.

You are suddenly in an opening that has NOT been refuted for hundreds of years !!!

Thats why the BDG is a totally unsound opening.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #73 - 11/06/05 at 12:06:13
Post Tools
Quote:
GM Prie has indeed shown, in several posts, that specific lines of the BDG is bad.  By bad I mean that the best that White can hope for is equality.

But SevenViolet did draw against him, and he failed to find Rdf1 instead of Qf2 with a +/= instead of (=).

I know many lines in the BDG where White have no more than equality, but not under equality too. For me that's not a refutation, because many normal openings are about equal . For me a refutation would be a solid and clear =/+, and for the moment, nobody showed that.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #72 - 11/06/05 at 00:53:11
Post Tools
By the way, I consider being called an "amateur" to be a compliment!  An amateur is one who does something for the love of doing it!  I hope that even the most well-paid players are amateurs at heart!

I just thought I'd add another!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #71 - 11/06/05 at 00:51:01
Post Tools
Arkhein,

GM Prie has indeed shown, in several posts, that specific lines of the BDG is bad.  By bad I mean that the best that White can hope for is equality.  The Hubsch (a name I just learned today!) certainly looks good to me.  If your move order allows you to transpose into the French instead of the BDG, then perhaps your move order is good! 

Notice, I'm not saying that Black's usage of the French or Caro-Kann refutes White's play.  I'm saying that White's transpositions to these openings rather than playing dubious lines of the BDG suggests that there are real problems for White.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #70 - 11/05/05 at 21:01:27
Post Tools
Ok, so maybe GM Eric Prié who defended the Black's side in a game in the forum against sevenviolet is an amateur? Or somes others players like Markovich who defended the black side against me? Sevenviolet and myself scored 65% after 4 games in the forum and I am ready to challenge anyone with my BDG on blitz or CC play. Yes, CC, you have all your time to find your "refutation" against my gambit, and databases to find the "serious" defenses. As an e4 player, with the BDG move order, it doesn't change anything if my oppopnent plays the French, but if he doesn't, I avoided the 2 mains responses to 1.e4 : 1..c5 and 1..e5, that's the good point of the BDG's move order. Oh and if I play a standard opening, for example 1.d4 and 2.c4, etc, I can say I refuted his Najdorf, he just could not play it, and I avoided it after only 1 move! What a refutation!

More seriously, you, like many others, failed to show that the BDG is REALLY bad. If you want to defend the Black side in a game, and if you believe you can do better than the previous players, let's play a new game here. See you.

IP Logged

kalle99

They say I have Aspbergers
syndrome.

Reply #69 - 11/05/05 at 20:39:00
Post Tools
The point is that if it is so easy to steer away a gambit into one of the most solid openings that exists!! It must be something wrong with it.  It must because of that be a bad choice to play  2. e4

Its a way to refute the gambit .......yes it is!! (in principle it is)

But I am sure that the best thing black can do is to pick a line and study it in depth.

Many BDG players live on the fact that the black players (amateurs) do not have a worked out response to that unsound opening.

"I Often see in chess forums people asking : " What is the current status of that line ?"&&&&Its a good reasonable question,but who can claim that he knows the answer ?!&&&&Semko Semkov Januari 2008

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #68 - 11/05/05 at 18:59:44
Post Tools
And it's like saying that the Smith-Morra Gambit is refuted because of cxd4 followed by Nf6. No, a transposition is not a refutation! To refute a gambit, you have to accept it or to gain somes advantages by declining it. I agree with lost highway. Here, with the French or the Caro, you didn't gain an advantage by avoiding the gambit. Like I have said previously, a BDGer should be prepared to fight against the Caro, the French, the Pirc and somes independent lines. And for the Caro, 1.d4 c6 2.e4 d5 WOW you declined it with your favorite opening? 3.Nc3 the standard move, dxe4 standard move also, 4.f3! and now we have a sort of BDG (it can transpose or have that type of play)

For the Pirc, I am happy with the Austrian attack, and for the French, I recommand to play standard, because you can't force Black to take on e4 (I don't like so much the Alapin-Diemer gambit), but if he does, f3 is interesting in somes lines.

Many guys says that the BDG is bad from a theorical point of view, but nobody have shown that the pawn up give more than equality.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #67 - 11/05/05 at 18:39:50
Post Tools
That's a ridiculous explanation.  Allowing a transposition into the French or Caro-Kann makes the BDG unsound?  Does that make the white side of the French or Caro-Kann unsound?

There are plenty of logical reasons why the BDG is not a good opening, but this transpositional argument is silly.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

kalle99

They say I have Aspbergers
syndrome.

Reply #66 - 11/05/05 at 17:11:26
Post Tools
BDG is unsound. I agree with Roman Dzindzichasvilli about that.

He explains :

1. d4  d5  2.  e4 

black answers  2. e4 with   2...e6  and white is now playing against the french defense!!

or  2....c6 and you have the Caro-kann to face.

= BDG refuted.

You are suddenly in an opening that has NOT been refuted for hundreds of years !!!

Thats why the BDG is a totally unsound opening.

"I Often see in chess forums people asking : " What is the current status of that line ?"&&&&Its a good reasonable question,but who can claim that he knows the answer ?!&&&&Semko Semkov Januari 2008

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #65 - 10/13/05 at 20:03:04
Post Tools
Quote:
Against 1...Nf6 the only way to try to play a BDG is 2.f3 c5 3.d5 e6 4.c4 being OK for White when 1.d4 d5! 2.Nc3 (2.f3 c5) d5 3.f3 is equally refuted by 3...c5.
1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4? contrarily to the easy equalizing Lemberger provides Black with a clear advantage in all the lines of the Hubsch 3...Nxe4! 4.Nxe4 dxe4 " Black parts with his kingside best defensive piece" Diemer's rubbish or ignorance at the time.
The truth is that it fluidifies his development and exchanges White's best piece!

True, the Hubsch line gives black an advantage if white tries to play the BDG.  However, I think someone who plays 1.d4 d5 would already have a killer line prepared for a BDG that commonly starts this way:  1.d4 d5 2.e4 de4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 fe4, etc.  Although the Hubsch line is good, it would require a 1.d4 d5 player to know two ways to deal with an attempted, or actual BDG: one way for 2.e4 and another way for 2.Nc3.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves
are the less complicated"

Reply #64 - 10/11/05 at 02:25:01
Post Tools
Against 1...Nf6 the only way to try to play a BDG is 2.f3 c5 3.d5 e6 4.c4 being OK for White when 1.d4 d5! 2.Nc3 (2.f3 c5) d5 3.f3 is equally refuted by 3...c5.
1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4? contrarily to the easy equalizing Lemberger provides Black with a clear advantage in all the lines of the Hubsch 3...Nxe4! 4.Nxe4 dxe4 " Black parts with his kingside best defensive piece" Diemer's rubbish or ignorance at the time.
The truth is that it fluidifies his development and exchanges White's best piece!

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #63 - 10/10/05 at 11:22:09
Post Tools
Generally BDGers tend to play 3.Be3 against the French followed by Nd2 and f3, but I consider it to be an inferior version (but still unclear, even if I would prefer the Black side) of the BDG. Personnally I continue with 3.Nc3 but I like to play the French advance sometimes. A BDGer is practically forced to know how to play the normal 3.Nc3 because of the move order 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 (one of the 2 ways to play a BDG with 2.f3)..d5 3.e4 e6 and here I play both 4.e5 and 4.Bg5, but theses times I like to play the Anand/Shirov variation with 4.e5 Nfd7 5.Nce2. Against the Winawer (only available with the move order 1.d4 d5 e4 e6 where both color have more choices) I can play the normal theory, but I like to play sometimes  3.Nc3 Bb4 4.a3!? Bxc3 5.bxc3 dxe4 6.f3!? (6.Qg4 is more standard here and is (=), but the text move 6.f3 is more in the spirit of the BDG, this is the Winckelmann-Reimer gambit), it could be not totally sound (somes guys will say the BDG is not sound either, but of course no one proved the contrary) but that's quite fun to play, with good practical chances.

I know that Leisebein plays the Winckelmann-Reimer Gambit, and the Alapin-Diemer gambit in CC with correct results, but he can also play the normal French theory, depending of the moves order

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #62 - 10/10/05 at 10:15:49
Post Tools
By the way, I am curious....

BDGers,

When you're faced with the French, how many of you play the main lines against it?  That is, how many play the Advance (Nimzovich), Tarrasch, Steinitz, Classical (and all its variants), or Winawer as White?

How many of you play less trodden paths such as 3.Be3 or other moves that don't have the same practical pedigree but that may lead the unwary into a BDG-type of game?

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #61 - 10/07/05 at 08:06:25
Post Tools
In practical play 2...e6 is a very good reply to the BDG, as a lot of BDG players will reply with the ridiculous 3.Be3?, after which 3...dxe4 is already clear advantage to Black (while 2...dxe4 3.Nc3 e5 or 3...Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 in my opinion is roughly equal).

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #60 - 10/07/05 at 06:24:28
Post Tools
Ok Smyslov, I have been a bit agressive with my response, but I tought it was quite easy to come here as total anonymous, and to give an easy response 2..e6 where anyone noticed that this transpose into a French. It was quite provocative for me, and not too helpful.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #59 - 10/07/05 at 02:35:52
Post Tools
Arkhein,

Why do you attack poor, defenseless guests like that?  You could have simply acknowledged that White can play the French which is under a bit of a cloud at the highest levels right now. 

All White has to do in that case is the opposite of what most BDGers want to do and actually take the advice of GMs and play the best lines!!! Wink

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #58 - 10/06/05 at 12:45:14
Post Tools
Hello Mr guest, you think you are a genius because you noticed that 2..e6 transpose into a French? No problem, a BDGer should be ready to face a French or a Pirc, so I would play 3.Nc3, and I managed to play an e4 repertoire (if my opponent decline the BDG with a Pirc or a French, not the Caro because of 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.f3 with still a possible BDG) where Black couldn't choose 1..e5 or 1..c5, not that bad right?

IP Logged

Reply #57 - 10/06/05 at 11:18:49
Post Tools
1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6!

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #56 - 09/21/05 at 01:42:42
Post Tools
Quote:
I'm getting dizzy.  Tongue  What line are we looking at now?

Probably you are  looking at lions Tongue

CastleRock

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #55 - 09/19/05 at 22:25:40
Post Tools
I'm getting dizzy.  Tongue  What line are we looking at now?

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #54 - 09/19/05 at 20:19:15
Post Tools
Sorry, X.  If my life (read: repertoire) depended upon it, I'm sure I could eventually work out the details.  But since it doesn't, I'll save my energy for positions with more strategic depth.

Which reminds me of a couple of other lines that ArKheiN has been neglecting...

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #53 - 09/19/05 at 19:43:28
Post Tools
Quote:
To be honest, Fritz "understands" these positions better than I do, and so they are not much fun for me to analyze.  It'd be better to let the computer run for a couple of days and then mop up.  

It's depressing to hear people say this.  It sounds like chess is dying.   Cry

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #52 - 09/19/05 at 19:30:42
Post Tools
Quote:
As you can imagine, I proposed 11.Nb5!? after somes criticals analysis, to see if it this really playable.  Your actual attempts to refute my 11.Nb5 are refuted !
[...]

If White want to draw against a stronger opponent, playing a supposed strong defense against the BDG, then 11.Nb5 is the best move here, until someone find a real improvement in the Black side here.

I'm hardly surprised that White can do better.  To be honest, Fritz "understands" these positions better than I do, and so they are not much fun for me to analyze.  It'd be better to let the computer run for a couple of days and then mop up.  I'm sure you've checked carefully that White is OK after Black's other alternatives; even earlier, 10...Nd5 may put the whole circus out of business.  I'm not sure I found equality after cxb5, but your other suggestions seem well-founded.

I might caution: if a strong player chooses this line, it is because Black wins.  No strong corr. player would even consider entering the Qxd4 variations without having already checked things very carefully; it is simply not worth the risk.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #51 - 09/19/05 at 19:24:39
Post Tools
Scholar, who are you talking about?   Grin

Smyslov Fan, that's one reason I sympathize with BDG players who want to show that the BDG is playable.  I certainly agree with them that many people provide unconvincing refutations, but I would really just rather play Black.  Smiley

Just imagine the resources they would find if they spent all that energy on a more fruitful opening.  It appears that Tekyo is discovering this.  Smiley

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #50 - 09/19/05 at 19:09:05
Post Tools
I thought when he reached 500 he'd stop posting nonsense.

Smiley

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #49 - 09/19/05 at 19:00:05
Post Tools
That's especially true of BDG fans, X!  Grin

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #48 - 09/19/05 at 18:37:29
Post Tools
You mean like this?   Grin

You see, this is what you get when you demand things from chess players.  Chess players don't like being told what to do.   Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #47 - 09/19/05 at 13:26:35
Post Tools
Quote:
Such a comment from you? I always thought you were only concerned about what will happen man-against-man in blitz games. And as to that I think almost everyone agrees that under those circumstances white has good chances of getting a decent or even good (to great) position.

At the moment it seems to me that basically white at best has = or =/+ in a number of variations (Lemberger, the Bf5 variations tried by me and Markovich in our games against Patrick and ArKheiN respectively, the Euwe, where white seems to pin his hopes to moves like a3 or h3 etc.) and I doubt that white can really do much better in most of those.

More useless musing

He wants moves  Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #46 - 09/19/05 at 13:25:01
Post Tools
Quote:
On the first sentence:  Yes, we have very different ideas, so our assessments are evaluated with emphasis on different considerations.  I am not of the opinion that 8...h6 "completely eliminates White's kingside play."  I think you may be underestimating the difficultly of maneuvers involving queenside castling in this situation.  I see ...h6 as more of a "hook" in Black's position, than an effective prophylactic device.  The comment on ...g6 comes less from general consideration and more from necessity.  For one, black often wants to aim for an ...e5 break, and another consideration is if black is castling kingside, this move is often a must.  I don't believe in strict adherence to principles, but I am simply conveying my "feel" for the postion.  Black often has to have concrete forms of defense in mind, and I don't think just planning queenside castling is enough.  What are black's plans to consolidate?  When playing against the BDG, it is important to have an eye towards this, since sometimes the plan may be too slow.  I have had this happen a few times!

Another thing to note is g4-g5 may not necessarily be a great strength for White, and I think Black can often demonstrate it to be a weakness.  White always runs the risk of being overextended in these position.  These are currently my views on position, which seem to be diametrically opposed to yours!  I like to see conflicting views on a position, since they might indicate where I am wrong.  Smiley

He said no talking.

Toppy  Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #45 - 09/19/05 at 13:23:29
Post Tools
Quote:
-/+ is asking a lot from Black.  I don't think that White is lost by playing the BDG, simply that he no longer can be said to have the advantage.  Viewing chess as a game solved to a draw with best play, this is immaterial, and in that sense, I do not think the BDG will ever be refuted.

But I am willing to take up the position from the other thread, if only so that I learn something.  Perhaps it will teach me to be more ambitious against the BDG.  At least, understand that I am playing for =+, and would not be disappointed with static equality, so if seeing such a continuation is insufficient to convince you, then you need not reply.  Others may prefer more enterprising play with Black.  For me, play continues:

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 (you may consider this a conditional move if you prefer an alternative for White).

He said no words.

Toppy  Grin

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #44 - 09/19/05 at 11:34:57
Post Tools
As you can imagine, I proposed 11.Nb5!? after somes criticals analysis, to see if it this really playable.  Your actual attempts to refute my 11.Nb5 are refuted !

Quote:
11...Qb4+ 12.c3 Qxb2 13.Rd1 cxb5 14.Qxb7 Qxc3+ 15.Kf2 Qc6 16.Bg2 Qxb7 17.Bxb7 e6 18.Bxa8 Bc5 and Black should win this endgame (it would be a bit of a struggle).

after 15.Kf2 Qc6 : 16.Rxd7! +- with 3 pawns downs!, but the terrible pressure on the queenside will regain material, while black's kingside is sleeping. Same after 15..f5 16.Rxd7! +-

Quote:
11...Qe5 12.0-0-0 cxb5 13.Bf4 Qf5 14.Bd3 Ne5 15.Bxf5 Nxf3 16.Bc8 e5 17.Be3 Be7 18.Bxb7 Bxg5 19.Rhe1 Nxe1 20.Bxg5 f6 21.Be3 Nxc2 22.Kxc2 Ke7 23.Bxa8 Rc8+ 24.Kd2 Nc6 25.Bxc6 Rxc6 26.Bxa7 an unclear endgame, but White should be happy.

14.Bd3 Ne5 (better try might be 14..Qc5 or 14..Qe6, but 15.Qxb7 after both, 15..Qc6 and White is better) 15.Qxb7! and White is +/- after both 15..Nxd3+ or 15..Qxf4+    

Do you agree with my analysis? If yes, you have to find something to the possible improvement (or alternative at least) : 11.Nb5!?

Of course the simplest way to try to refute 11.Nb5 : 11..cxb5 12.Qxb7 seems (=)(this is the first thing I had to analyse to see if 11.Nb5 was playable)

If White want to draw against a stronger opponent, playing a supposed strong defense against the BDG, then 11.Nb5 is the best move here, until someone find a real improvement in the Black side here.

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #43 - 09/18/05 at 22:53:04
Post Tools
Quote:
8.g4 Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nfd7 11.Nb5!? seems playable! Tell me what you play against 11.Nb5 to show me an advantage?(not a provocative question, I really want to know if this move is good enough, because it has a theorical interest for the whole 8.g4 Qxd4 variation, because if this move is good, it could be played instead of 11.Qf2 as an improvement, even if Leisebein continue to play this move, and never tried 11.Nb5)

This is certainly dangerous, and may in fact be White's best continuation at this point  (11.Qf2 h6! -/+).  Some analysis might be:

11...Qb4+ 12.c3 Qxb2 13.Rd1 cxb5 14.Qxb7 Qxc3+ 15.Kf2 Qc6 16.Bg2 Qxb7 17.Bxb7 e6 18.Bxa8 Bc5 and Black should win this endgame (it would be a bit of a struggle).

11...Qe5 12.0-0-0 cxb5 13.Bf4 Qf5 14.Bd3 Ne5 15.Bxf5 Nxf3 16.Bc8 e5 17.Be3 Be7 18.Bxb7 Bxg5 19.Rhe1 Nxe1 20.Bxg5 f6 21.Be3 Nxc2 22.Kxc2 Ke7 23.Bxa8 Rc8+ 24.Kd2 Nc6 25.Bxc6 Rxc6 26.Bxa7 an unclear endgame, but White should be happy.

This is my idea of best play for both sides, although additional study would probably lead to a tactical refutation of some moves.  Do let me know.

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #42 - 09/18/05 at 22:39:58
Post Tools
Quote:
On the first sentence:  Yes, we have very different ideas, so our assessments are evaluated with emphasis on different considerations.

Yes, this is certainly true.  Of course, there are more than two ways to skin this cat.

The line which put me off the 8...e6/10...Nxc3 idea is (more or less):

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4 e6 9.g5 Nd5 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.bxc3 Bd6 12.Rb1 Qe7 13.0-0 b6 14.a4

Black's last couple of moves are a bit suspect, sure, but White's idea in either case is to taget b6 with a4-a5, and after White castles force g6 and play h4-h5.  Alternatively, against 13...0-0 14.c4 seems interesting.  In addition to some central control, there is a clearance theme, to target the weakened dark squares with Bb2 (in some lines, after g6 has been played).

I'd compare this to what seems to be the critical line against 8...h6, something like:

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4 h6 9.Be3 e6 10.Bd3 Nbd7 11.0-0 Qc7 12.Rab1 Bd6 13.b4 -- I think this is the right idea; White should immediately challenge Black's plan of castling queenside.  12.Rab1 is a bit committal, though, and maybe Black can be more circumspect.  But I think some of Black's resources are illustrated by 13...0-0-0 14.b5 c5 15.b6 axb6 16.Nb5 Qb8 17.c3 Bh2+ 18.Kh1 Qg3 19.Qxg3 Bxg3

In general, I believe that Black can defend against White's queenside thrusts, and White's weakended kingside comes under question.  Black has all sorts of good plans of opening the kingside with g5/h5.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #41 - 09/18/05 at 08:48:29
Post Tools
Quote:
We  will continue to  debate the correct moves until we establish what is correct and  what is not.

Such a comment from you? I always thought you were only concerned about what will happen man-against-man in blitz games. And as to that I think almost everyone agrees that under those circumstances white has good chances of getting a decent or even good (to great) position.

At the moment it seems to me that basically white at best has = or =/+ in a number of variations (Lemberger, the Bf5 variations tried by me and Markovich in our games against Patrick and ArKheiN respectively, the Euwe, where white seems to pin his hopes to moves like a3 or h3 etc.) and I doubt that white can really do much better in most of those.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #40 - 09/18/05 at 07:37:53
Post Tools
Quote:
These are both good points, but I think that this position cannot be treated just by those general principles, and I think that the resulting positions support this claim.

8...h6 has the advantage that it completely eliminates White's kingside play.  Sure, usually moving pawns like this is a weakness, but here the main threat was g4-g5 exposing f7.  Since the knight sits well on f6 shielding the pawn, it makes sense to prevent this advance.  Moreover, h4-g5 does not seem to be a realizable plan.  Since Black does not intend to castle kingside anyway, king safety isn't really an issue.  Critical here is that Black can now develop his pieces more harmoniously; the knight stays on f6 protecting f7, so Nbd7 is easy to play even after Qc7.  (Cf: 8...e6 lines where N(b)d7 is harder to come by, and Black castles kingside.)

I am less impressed with the idea that the light squares are weakened here; c6/e6 control the central squares well, and White has no way of exploiting the slight weakness of g6.  Moreover, this is more than offset, in my view, with the bind that Black has on the kingside dark squares after Qc7/Bd6.  White's dark bishop seems quite prospectless.

On the first sentence:  Yes, we have very different ideas, so our assessments are evaluated with emphasis on different considerations.  I am not of the opinion that 8...h6 "completely eliminates White's kingside play."  I think you may be underestimating the difficultly of maneuvers involving queenside castling in this situation.  I see ...h6 as more of a "hook" in Black's position, than an effective prophylactic device.  The comment on ...g6 comes less from general consideration and more from necessity.  For one, black often wants to aim for an ...e5 break, and another consideration is if black is castling kingside, this move is often a must.  I don't believe in strict adherence to principles, but I am simply conveying my "feel" for the postion.  Black often has to have concrete forms of defense in mind, and I don't think just planning queenside castling is enough.  What are black's plans to consolidate?  When playing against the BDG, it is important to have an eye towards this, since sometimes the plan may be too slow.  I have had this happen a few times!

Another thing to note is g4-g5 may not necessarily be a great strength for White, and I think Black can often demonstrate it to be a weakness.  White always runs the risk of being overextended in these position.  These are currently my views on position, which seem to be diametrically opposed to yours!  I like to see conflicting views on a position, since they might indicate where I am wrong.  Smiley

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #39 - 09/17/05 at 22:31:32
Post Tools
I'll be a man and admit that white has nothing after 4 ... Bb4.  Well done.

Nex

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #38 - 09/17/05 at 21:47:31
Post Tools
Quote:
Boy,

For a thread that wasn't supposed to have many words, both sides have been using up a lot of space.  I still haven't seen anything to address GM Prie's succinct comments except for, "BTW, GM Prie, I don't accept your "refutation" ... (NeX iRae)

I just don't see any good defense of the BDG.  Instead, I see a lot of argument about whether it's not as bad as its reputation or if it's worse than its reputation.  Let's move on to some openings that are actually played by the strongest players!

YOU  move on to other  openings, Smyslov Fan.  We  will continue to  debate the correct moves until we establish what is correct and  what is not.
   Me, I play a whole slew of other openings besides the BDG.

YIM  
IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #37 - 09/17/05 at 20:00:11
Post Tools
Boy,

For a thread that wasn't supposed to have many words, both sides have been using up a lot of space.  I still haven't seen anything to address GM Prie's succinct comments except for, "BTW, GM Prie, I don't accept your "refutation" ... (NeX iRae)

I just don't see any good defense of the BDG.  Instead, I see a lot of argument about whether it's not as bad as its reputation or if it's worse than its reputation.  Let's move on to some openings that are actually played by the strongest players!

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #36 - 09/17/05 at 15:36:16
Post Tools
Quote:
Also I don't like 8...h6 for the following two reasons:
1)  It compromises the kingside pawn structure before Black has completed development.  BDG players thrive upon opportunities like this.
2)  It does not seem very consistent with 6...Bxf3.  Black has just relinquished the bishop pair with the exchange of the light-squared bishop for the knight.  In such situations, Black would like to limit the influence of the bishop pair by protecting the squares of the missing light-squared bishop.  If Black is to move a kingside pawn, ...g6 seems more desirable than ...h6 from this perspective.

These are both good points, but I think that this position cannot be treated just by those general principles, and I think that the resulting positions support this claim.

8...h6 has the advantage that it completely eliminates White's kingside play.  Sure, usually moving pawns like this is a weakness, but here the main threat was g4-g5 exposing f7.  Since the knight sits well on f6 shielding the pawn, it makes sense to prevent this advance.  Moreover, h4-g5 does not seem to be a realizable plan.  Since Black does not intend to castle kingside anyway, king safety isn't really an issue.  Critical here is that Black can now develop his pieces more harmoniously; the knight stays on f6 protecting f7, so Nbd7 is easy to play even after Qc7.  (Cf: 8...e6 lines where N(b)d7 is harder to come by, and Black castles kingside.)

I am less impressed with the idea that the light squares are weakened here; c6/e6 control the central squares well, and White has no way of exploiting the slight weakness of g6.  Moreover, this is more than offset, in my view, with the bind that Black has on the kingside dark squares after Qc7/Bd6.  White's dark bishop seems quite prospectless.

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #35 - 09/17/05 at 15:01:53
Post Tools
Well, for X, here's another example where Black seems to win effortlessly.

Schoupal,P - Sikora,J (2191) [D00]
Trinec op Trinec (1), 27.12.2001

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4 e6 9.g5 Nd5 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.bxc3 Bd6 12.0-0 0-0 13.Qe4 g6 14.Rb1 b6 15.Be3 Bc7 16.Rf3 Qd5 17.Qg4 Qd6 18.Bf4 Qe7 19.Bxc7 Qxc7 20.Rbf1 20...Nd7 21.Bc4 Qd6 22.Kg2 b5 23.Bd3 Rae8 24.c4 c5 25.cxb5 cxd4 26.Re1 Qd5 27.Qg3 e5 28.Qh4 Nc5 29.Be4 Qxa2 30.Bd3 e4 31.Rxe4 Nxd3 32.Rxe8 Rxe8 0-1

But for ArKheiN, note that after something like: 20.Kg2 Nd7 21.h4 e5 22.h5 Rae8 23.hxg6 fxg6, and after Rh1 of Bc4 Black is in trouble.  Again, this isn't best play, but is a good example of the real pressure White gets.

I'm sure that Black can hold here, but it is not always a trivial task to defend, and Black has a lot of trouble developing the queenside.  It's not that Black's position is so bad, as that I think there are more promising alternatives.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #34 - 09/17/05 at 11:42:47
Post Tools
Yes, White's play was not so good; I listed this game to show Black's possibilities.  The h4-h5 plan you suggested is much stronger than the game continuation which just exchanges dark square bishops and plays into Black's hands.  But I think Black has sufficient resources to defend against a plan involving h4-h5.  This demands accurate defense; however, I believe I have found a defensive plan that neutralizes White's attack.

My reason for pointing this line out is that many defenders of the Black side seem to ignore potentially promising continuations out of fear of a nebulous attack.  (I have been guilty of this myself!)  It is better to confront a kingside attack head on with a principled defense, than to lie in wait, dodging every feint of an attack.  Such an overly cautious approach can allow White to gain very real positional advantages!

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #33 - 09/17/05 at 08:49:49
Post Tools
X have said : Quote:
1. d4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3
Bg4 6. h3 Bxf3 7. Qxf3 c6 8. g4 e6 9. g5
Nd5 10. Bd3 Nxc3 11. bxc3 Bd6 12. O-O Qc7 13. Bd2
O-O 14. Qe4 g6 15. Bf4 Nd7 16. Rae1 Rae8 17. c4
Bxf4 18. Rxf4 e5 19. Rf3 Qd8 20. d5 Qxg5+ 21. Kh2
f5 22. Qe2 e4 23. Rg3 Qh6 24. dxc6 bxc6 25. c5
exd3 26. Qxe8 Rxe8 27. Rxe8+ Kf7 28. Rge3 dxc2  0-1

But nowhere White played the normal plan h4-h5 here, it's just the normal continuation of the attack! It can be good without the pawn on g6, and stronger with the pawn on g6! 14.h4 would have been good, but later also maybe. I don't think this variation really give problems to White, and Scholar seems to agree with me here.

And to Scholar, the Dragon in the sicilian defense often suffered of the repuation of being busted, but it's still playable! Here too the theory is still growing and evoluting. And for White, they have lot of possibles moves against the Teichmann, like I have said previously. 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4, it's logical that this defense is a good one, I respect that defense. 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 and now, like I have said, I have 3 main choice, the classical 8.Be3, the interesting 8.Qf2 and the sharp 8.g4. Which of them is the best? I don't know. You should mostly choose one of the 3 depending of your taste. Is 8.g4 totally sound after Qxd4? I don't know but in practice it's still have nices results despite the fact that Black seems better because of the 2 pawns. Even after 8.g4 Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nfd7 11.Nb5!? seems playable! Tell me what you play against 11.Nb5 to show me an advantage?(not a provocative question, I really want to know if this move is good enough, because it has a theorical interest for the whole 8.g4 Qxd4 variation, because if this move is good, it could be played instead of 11.Qf2 as an improvement, even if Leisebein continue to play this move, and never tried 11.Nb5)

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #32 - 09/17/05 at 08:13:10
Post Tools
Also I don't like 8...h6 for the following two reasons:
1)  It compromises the kingside pawn structure before Black has completed development.  BDG players thrive upon opportunities like this.
2)  It does not seem very consistent with 6...Bxf3.  Black has just relinquished the bishop pair with the exchange of the light-squared bishop for the knight.  In such situations, Black would like to limit the influence of the bishop pair by protecting the squares of the missing light-squared bishop.  If Black is to move a kingside pawn, ...g6 seems more desirable than ...h6 from this perspective.

I understand that one of the main objectives of ...h6 is to castle queenside; however, preparing for this at such an early stage can be a cumbersome maneuver.  For instance, take a look at Schoupal-MNb.  Even when accomplished, it is not clear that this is a safe place for the king.  For myself, 8...h6 at this stage violates a number of guiding principles in development, especially against the BDG.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #31 - 09/17/05 at 07:36:53
Post Tools
I noticed that both ArKheiN and Scholar seem to agree that

1.d4 d5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4 e6 9.g5 Nd5 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.bxc3 Bd6

is good for White with the opinion that Black has trouble developing.  I think Black's position is quite resilient and structurally sound!  Black can usually castle and play ...g6 with a solid position, perhaps aiming to break with a later ...e5.  A good illustration of this plan is

[Event "Master Open"]
[Site "Singapore SIN"]
[Date "2004.??.??"]
[White "Aw Wai Onn"]
[Black "Ramu,K"]
[Round "2"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "2009"]
[BlackElo "2258"]
[ECO "A45"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. e4 dxe4 4. f3 exf3 5. Nxf3
Bg4 6. h3 Bxf3 7. Qxf3 c6 8. g4 e6 9. g5
Nd5 10. Bd3 Nxc3 11. bxc3 Bd6 12. O-O Qc7 13. Bd2
O-O 14. Qe4 g6 15. Bf4 Nd7 16. Rae1 Rae8 17. c4
Bxf4 18. Rxf4 e5 19. Rf3 Qd8 20. d5 Qxg5+ 21. Kh2
f5 22. Qe2 e4 23. Rg3 Qh6 24. dxc6 bxc6 25. c5
exd3 26. Qxe8 Rxe8 27. Rxe8+ Kf7 28. Rge3 dxc2  0-1

This is a rather one-sided game, but it demonstrates Black's resources.  I really don't see the dreaded pressure from White here.  I don't think the bishop pair is that effective here.

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #30 - 09/16/05 at 20:21:52
Post Tools
Quote:
But after 18..Nd7 19.Bh4 Nf6 20.Qe2 White is better!

I'm not sure White's better.  That continuation as well as 19...Qc5+ seemed unclear to me.  There are a few lines which result in lots of material being traded and a more or less equal endgame resulting.  At any rate, my interest in the entire 8...e6 complex is quite light, especially so after a move like Nb4, and I won't worry too much even if you are correct.
Quote:
You are maybe right, but was is sure is that 10..Bb4, giving a tempo compared to 10..Be7 can only be inferior to 10..Be7 (It's not like if I had no good moves to play, and commit my position with a move)[\quote]
You'd think so, but the games in my database all show White quickly self-destructing.  For all I know, that could be book, but substantially I agree with you.
[quote]
About 8..Qxd4 9.Be3, I think only 9..Qd6! 10.g5 Nfd7 can give problems to White. With 8..Qb4, 8..Qe5 or 8..Qd8, Black have no advantages.

Sure.  As I'm sure you're aware, Fritz is not very reliable here for either side, so its numerical scores are basically meaningless to me.  Of course, White does have an attack, and I agree that Black will probably have to give back some material and defend carefully.  That said, I think Black has good ways of doing this.  h6 seems to be an interesting way of activating the Black kingside, and it may be the way to an advantage after 11.Qf2, say.

Of course, the 8...h6 line seems like a safe way to leave Black with basically all of the winning chances and keep the tactical complications to a minimum.  I would be quite happy to enter those lines OTB knowing only this idea.
Quote:
This tread is just another example of the complexity of the BDG, and the differents positions that can arrise from differents strategies, and the theory of the BDG still evolue, and even you (anyone in this forum), or me can contribute to add a little thing to the theory, which is still growing and evoluting, sometime only one little improvement from one side can change an entire defense or attack!

Here, I must respectfully dissent.  What this thread shows is that every Black player can pick out his favorite line -- even ones which BDGers have ignored as 'not critical' -- and show that Black has good play; equality and maybe an edge.  The fact that there are two ways for Black to reach a better game even after 6...Bxf3 (surely a sideline of a sideline for the BDG complex) is not a good sign for the health of the gambit.  I recall someone, speaking of some variation in the dragon, that one critical (i.e., lost for black) line can be patched; two critical lines and the variation is dead.  This is something of an overstatement, but there are dozens of critical lines against the BDG, and one can spend (waste?) a lifetime trying to patch them all.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #29 - 09/16/05 at 20:17:11
Post Tools
Here are some completes CC games by Peter Leisebein to show that despite the 2 pawns up all is not easy, with the line 8.g4 Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nfd7 11.Qf2 :

Leisebein-Wiese Uwe 2004 : 11..Ne5 12.Bg2 Nbd7 13.Rd1 Qe6 14.0-0 h6 15.Ne4 Qg6 16.Bf4 hxg5 17.Bxe5 Nxe5 18.Qg3 f6 19.Qb3 g4 20.Qe6 Rd8 21.Qd6+ Rxd6 22.Rxd6 Nf3+ 23.Rxf3 1/2 (White have perpetual check)

Leisebein-Class Wolfgang 2005 : 11..Ne5 12.Bg2 Nbd7 13.0-0 h6 14.Rad1 Qe6 15.Ne4 (transposition in the previous game) 15..f6 (Black deviate from 15..Qg6)16.g6 Nxg6 17.Nc5 Nxc5 18.Bxc5 Ne5 19.Bxa7 g6 20.Qb6 Bg7 21.Qxb7 0-0 22.Bd4 f5 23.Bc3 Rfb8 24.Qc7 Rc8 25.Qb7 Qxa2 26.Ra1 Qxa1 27.Rxa1 Rxa1 28.Kf2 Rd8 29.Qxe7 Nf7 30.Qc5 Bxc3 31.Qxc3 1/2

Leisebein-Weingarzt Wilfried 2003 : 11..e6 12.Bd3 Qe5 (Qc7!?)13.0-0-0 Qa5 14.Kb1 Ne5 15.Ne4 Bbd7 16.Be2 0-0-0 17.Rhg1 Be7 18.Bd4 Rhf8 19.Qe3  h6 20.gxh6 gxh6 21.Qxh6 Rh8 22.Qe3 Rh4 23.Ng5 Rg8 24.Bxe5 Qxe5 25.Qd2 1/2

And for the pleasure, a little miniature in CC from me against Marx Patrick, 2005 after 8.g4 Qxd4 9.Be3 Qb4(quite common, but not the critical move)10.0-0-0 e6 11.Bd4 (11.Rd4 and 11.Nb5 are quite good too) Nbd7 12.g5 Nd5 13.Kb1 Qa5 14.Bc4 Nxc3 (better was Bb4! 15.Bxd5! cxd5 16.Bxg7! Rg8 17.Nxd5 Rxg7 18.Nf6+ Nxf6 19.gxf6 Rg5 20.Qxb7 Rd8 21.Rxd8+ Kxd8 (=) )15.Bxc3 Qxg5 (oh I am 3 pawn down now!) 16.Rxd7! Kxd7 17.Qxf7+ Qe7 18.Rd1+ Kc7 19.Be5+ Kb6 20.Qf4 1-0
The game could have followed : 20..a6(best move) 21.Bd6 Qxd6 22.Rxd6 Bxd6 23.Qxd6 Rad8 24.Qb4+ (+/-  /  +-)but some good technique and patience is needed to win, that's not easy to progress(I am winning slowly but surely), so for me he resigned too prematurely, even if he is going to lose here (against an accurate play of course).

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #28 - 09/16/05 at 15:03:18
Post Tools
Quote:
Well, this entire Nb4 line was Fritz’s work not mine, as I hope was clear from my post.  I included it mainly for the bizarre position after Bxh7.  I agree that after 18…Qg5+, White can equalize, and maybe even do a bit better than that.  18…Nd7 might be better for Black, but I think White is OK.

But after 18..Nd7 19.Bh4 Nf6 20.Qe2 White is better!

Quote:
In the 10…Be7 line, I don’t like 12…Nd7.  Frankly, compared to the same position after Black wastes a tempo on Bb4-Be7, Black is better not obstructing the queen (which watches d4), though White can temporize (in the 10…Bb4 line) with 13.c3 and the positions may transpose.  This is an interesting subtlety, but probably Black does better playing 10…Be7 and then 12…Qb6.  At any rate, I don’t see any breakthroughs for White.

You are maybe right, but was is sure is that 10..Bb4, giving a tempo compared to 10..Be7 can only be inferior to 10..Be7 (It's not like if I had no good moves to play, and commit my position with a move)

About 8..Qxd4 9.Be3, I think only 9..Qd6! 10.g5 Nfd7 can give problems to White. With 8..Qb4, 8..Qe5 or 8..Qd8, Black have no advantages. But theses positions after the double pawn sacrifice are really hard to assess. In theory, it seems that there is not always a concrete way to compensate the 2 pawns, but in practice it's a lot different. If I wanted to analyse 8.g4!? it's because this move is very sharp, and it's at least equal (or real winning chances)against every Black's responses,(other than 8..Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nfd7 where I am myself quite septical) like we have seen in our analysis. The other reason I gave 8.g4!?, is Peter Leisebein's favourite, where he have a very good results, but he admit that theses positions are difficults to judge and to play for both side. After 8..Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nfd7 (I think this is the critical variation of the whole 8.g4!?, because in any other lines, I don't fear anything), Leisebein prefered first 11.Bd2 and after 11..Ne5 Qe2 I have 2 wins from him.(but like you Scholar, I am quite septical here) and in the recent years, he seems to prefer 11.Qf2 but here too, I am not sure about White's compensation. My general conclusion of 8..Qxd4 is that the game is very sharp, theorically better for Black because of the material advantage, but hard to play for both side, and not that bad in practice (still goods results of course, but I am not convinced by White's real compensation in line with 9..Qd6) And for curiosity, I watched to Fritz's evaluation after 11.Qf2, and despite the fact that he is generally materialist, he agree that White have a compensation of 75% for 2 pawns (about -0.50, 1 pawn totally compensated and an half pawn compensated in a material point of view, and somes times in a normal BDG position he give -0.50 where Black is "only" 1 pawn up. And generally when you continue to play best moves from White side, Fritz himself "improve"White evaluation gradually, moves after moves to finally reach an equality. )It was just an interesting point of view, but Fritz is not always a reference, it's even more true in the BDG when he sometimes gives defensives and passives moves to White because he plays like if he had to survive with a pawn down, which is contrary to the gambit spirit : attacking at all cost (and 8.g4 is in this spirit). But if White is doubt of White's compensation, or is just scared to offer another pawn without anything concrete, (only dynamics compensation, that can often be used to regain material with (=) or even more, but not sure they always can.) you can still play the classical 8.Be3 (Fritz the materialist seems to prefer this move, but was the old mainline I think) or 8.Qf2!?(Ciesilsky variation) which are more conventional and not bad.

This tread is just another example of the complexity of the BDG, and the differents positions that can arrise from differents strategies, and the theory of the BDG still evolue, and even you (anyone in this forum), or me can contribute to add a little thing to the theory, which is still growing and evoluting, sometime only one little improvement from one side can change an entire defense or attack! When you realise that theses analysis is just a part from my works and researchs of existing analysis, it just deserves the right to have some respects for the BDGers, who are also chess lovers, like any of you, and fights hard to defend a meprised line (only somes guys are concerned, generally the type of guys who love to uses only words to say that the gambit is so bad).

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #27 - 09/16/05 at 13:51:11
Post Tools
nexirae, ah, very impressive. you won vs me in a USCL simul. you "forgot" to mention that. The one simul I did on USCL was pathetic. The windows were all screwed up and I lost about half the games on time. I guess the BDG is good after all. Again, a hearty congratulations.

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #26 - 09/16/05 at 13:43:06
Post Tools
Global Chess Server, i.e., USCL.  Feel free to sign on, it's still in your game history.  Not blitz, simul though, so we can forgive you.   Wink

Anyway, I did miss Bf5, and must say it's good.  Give me some time please Smiley 

NeX iRae

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #25 - 09/16/05 at 12:53:14
Post Tools
nexirae

what is this game? what is GCS GCS? I had 13 minutes left? To me this looks like a blitz game. If you beat me in a blitz game with the BDG that you were lost in and put it here, congratulations. But it shows more about you than it does about me or the BDG.

fluffy

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves

Reply #24 - 09/16/05 at 08:07:24
Post Tools
Come on Lev, your itch to move your b pawn 2 squares forward is historical!
Someone must have been willing to make an innocent joke about it...

Nexirae, you can compare the line given by Sacapawn and X to the main line of 4.dxe5 Qxd1 5.Kxd1 Nc6 6.Nxe4 Bg4+! (6...Nxe5 7.Bf4 Bf5 8.Bxe5 Bxe4 9.Bxc7 Rc8 10.Bb5+ Ke7 11.f3 Bxc2+ 12.Kxc2 Rxc7+ 13.Kb3 dead drawn) 7.f3 0-0-0+ and share your further conclusions with us  Smiley

Arkhein 5.Nf3 Bb4+ 6.Bd2 Bxd2+ 7.Qxd2 Nf6 8.Nxf6 Qxf6 pretty equal, maybe too much for Black's legitimate ambitions, I concede, half-heartedly.

I savour your voice Smyslov_fan, keep burning  Wink 

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #23 - 09/16/05 at 02:20:34
Post Tools
Yes, I think 7...Bf5 is the most consistent move.  This is certainly not a move to gloss over.  I think Black has excellent compensation if White tries to maintain the pawn.  A little odd for a gambit player to miss this idea.  Black doesn't always have to be a sitting duck!  Perhaps, you will now claim advantage for being a pawn up.  Tongue

IP Logged

Sacapawn

International Master

Reply #22 - 09/16/05 at 01:17:47
Post Tools
@nexirae:

In your variation 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 e5 4.Nge2 Bb4 5.dxe5 Qxd1+ 6.Kxd1 Nc6 7.Nxe4 I suggest the very natural 7.-,Bf5

And it seems Black has at least equality.

E.g. 8.N2g3 0-0-0+ 9.Bd2 Bxe4 10.Nxe4 Bxd2 11.Nxd2 Nxe5 12.f3 Nf6 and Black is better.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #21 - 09/15/05 at 23:28:23
Post Tools
This is absolutely ridiculous!!

Nowhere in my published writings and analyses did I ever propose 1 d4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3 e5  4 b4 ?  This must be someone else, attributing something to me that I never played!

YIM  
IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #20 - 09/15/05 at 22:55:21
Post Tools
The numerical results here are delightfully deceiving.  Anyone who bothers to do the work here will find something for Black that sets White difficult problems.  If asked, I think I could come up with at least five problem lines for White on the top of my head.  Sevenviolets is even willing to admit there are lines where White has difficulty maintaining the balance.  Later when I have a break from school, I might post a summary of what I believe are the most challenging lines.

On a side note about the Lemburger, it seems like Sevenviolets (!) is the only person that has acknowledge ubiyca's analysis on 4...Nc6 in the Schoupal-Prie thread.  There is some good stuff here, and 6...f5 looks dangerous for White.  I still believe Black has favorable ways to play for a win in the Lemburger, and ubiyca's comments seem to be a good guide for 4...Nc6 against 4.Nge2.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system

Reply #19 - 09/15/05 at 22:30:39
Post Tools
O wise nexirae!  I am in awe of your presence!   Grin

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #18 - 09/15/05 at 22:30:34
Post Tools
1 d4 d5 2 e4 dxe4 3 Nc3 e5 4 Nge2 Bb4 5 dxe5  Qxd1+ 6 Kxd1 and I prefer white, e.g.,

6 ... Bf5 7 Nd5 Ba5 8 Nd4 Bg4+ 9 f3 exf3 10 gxf3 Bh5 11 Nf4  when the bishop pair should give white a slight plus.

6 ... Bf5 7 Nd5 Ba5 8 Nd4 Bg6! 9 h4 h6 (Bh5+ is similar to above) 10 Nf4 Bh7 11 e6 fxe6 12 Ndxe6   

6 ... Nc6 7 Nxe4 Nxe5 8 Bf4 Nc4 9 c3! Bd6 10 Nxd6+ (Ba5 b3!)

Other moves?  Perhaps I missed something, but it still looks good enough to me.  (Lacking comp checks as I'm busy with all sorts of work right now).

BTW, GM Prie, I don't accept your "refutation" as you claimed Nc6 was the move, and then quickly retracted that.  I have not seen any of your analysis of Bb4, but would be interested.  Until then, I still think e5 is not the way to play against the BDG. 

And to the others, no, I don't think these forums or the games here have shown the BDG is bad.  By my count it scored 66% in the games against strong players.  Smiley

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #17 - 09/15/05 at 21:39:01
Post Tools
I think that 8…e6 is the weakest move, and as I suggested above, White has something close to compensation in most, if not all, of the resulting lines.

8..e6 9.g5 Nd5 10.Bd3

Quote:
10..Nb4 11.0-0 Qxd4+ 12.Be3 Qd7 13.Rad1 and now you gave 13..Qe7!? (N) and now I don't know if your proposition : 14.Bxh7 (spectacular, but does not seems good enough) but a possibly good variation and practically forced : 14.g6!? f6 15.Qh5 h6 16.a3 Nxd3 17.Rxd3 f5 18.Bf2 Qg5+ 19.Qxg5 hxg5 20.Re1 Ke7 21.Rde3 Kd7 22.Rxe6 Bd6 23.Bd4 seems to give enough compensation for the pawn, or unclear/equal maybe.

Well, this entire Nb4 line was Fritz’s work not mine, as I hope was clear from my post.  I included it mainly for the bizarre position after Bxh7.  I agree that after 18…Qg5+, White can equalize, and maybe even do a bit better than that.  18…Nd7 might be better for Black, but I think White is OK.

Quote:
10..Bb4 (it seems playable but I don't understand the point of that move) 11.0-0 0-0 (or 11..Qe7)and I quite prefer White's prospects. 12.Ne4 Be7 have been played a few times. And what was the aim of Bb4 then?  

10..Be7 11.0-0 0-0 12.Ne4 Nb4 13.Nf6+! gxf6 (..Bxf6 14.gxf6 with nice pressure in the Black's square, but maybe playable)14.Bxh7+!! +-

of course 12..Nd7 is maybe playable, and now 13.c4 Nb6 14.Bb1 (12..Qb6 has also been played ), and the position is not clear.

In the 10…Be7 line, I don’t like 12…Nd7.  Frankly, compared to the same position after Black wastes a tempo on Bb4-Be7, Black is better not obstructing the queen (which watches d4), though White can temporize (in the 10…Bb4 line) with 13.c3 and the positions may transpose.  This is an interesting subtlety, but probably Black does better playing 10…Be7 and then 12…Qb6.  At any rate, I don’t see any breakthroughs for White.

Quote:
Now the other main move : 8..Qxd4 9.Be3

8...Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nd7 11.Bd2 to try to castle long or 11.Qf2!? seems to be the best moves.

Sure, but I don’t see anything forcing if Black just plays sensible moves here.  White will get some attack for his two pawns.  I just think that Black can defend.  This is more of a belief than anything else.  There are more lines than I care to check, but I would be worried about finding compensation for White here.

Quote:
after 11.Bd2, Qe6+ is possible, 12.Be2 and I wait to see your ideas for Black here.

I’d probably play 11…Ne5 anyway.  Again Black is up a lot of material.  White needs more that just some pressure, he needs a winning attack.  Frankly, the onus is on BDGers to find a line which they think represents something like best play and ends in a White advantage; both sides have so many reasonable moves, that I doubt this can be done.

Quote:
9..Qd8 10.g5 Nd5 11.0-0-0 e6 12.Bb5(!) Nd7 13.Rf1 looks equal!

Sure.  This isn’t exactly the most ambitious system for Black, and equality is nothing to sniff at.

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4 h6 9.Be3 e6 10.Bd3 Nbd7 11.0-0 Qc7 12.Ne4 Nxe4 13.Bxe4 Nf6 14.Bd3 0-0-0 etc.

I don't actually have any examples of games after 8...h6, but that's probably for the best.

So there are two lines here which look pretty critical; Black either has two extra pawns and White seems without an attack, or Black has one pawn and White is reduced to playing for simple restraint.

@alumbrado
My laziness in just copying and pasting the initial moves is now embarrassingly clear.  I think I'll go edit that out now.  Of course, I doubt that this led to much confusion...
« Last Edit: 09/15/05 at 23:10:14 by Scholar »  

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #16 - 09/15/05 at 17:04:09
Post Tools
Quote:
1.d4 d5 2.e4 exd4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4 h6 9.Be3 e6 10.Bd3 Nbd7 11.0-0 Qc7 12.h4 0-0-0 13.g5? hxg5 -+

OK, that is a bit of a joke, but still.

I said that it was the basic plan, but I didn't say I would play it blindly! My plan was mostly to fight 9.Be3 e6 10.Bd3 Bb4 because it was the favourite choice of Black in the few practice, where the plan I gave can beat Black's strategy in somes variations. But if the Bishop doesn't come on b4, I don't fear a weakening of my Queenside with Bxc3, so I can castle long if I want.

I have found only one game with your interesting suggestion : 10..Nbd7 where White played 11.0-0 Qc7 12.Ne4 (it is clar that the h4-g5 plan is totally bad and not useful here)12..0-0-0 13.c4 and draw in 27 moves. More practice is needed, your defense deserve attention!

Now let's see the somes analysis of the "main lines" 8..e6 and 8..Qxd4 :

8..e6 9.g5 Nd5 10.Bd3

10..Nb4 11.0-0 Qxd4+ 12.Be3 Qd7 13.Rad1 and now you gave 13..Qe7!? (N) and now I don't know if your proposition : 14.Bxh7 (spectacular, but does not seems good enough) but a possibly good variation and practically forced : 14.g6!? f6 15.Qh5 h6 16.a3 Nxd3 17.Rxd3 f5 18.Bf2 Qg5+ 19.Qxg5 hxg5 20.Re1 Ke7 21.Rde3 Kd7 22.Rxe6 Bd6 23.Bd4 seems to give enough compensation for the pawn, or unclear/equal maybe.

10..Bb4 (it seems playable but I don't understand the point of that move) 11.0-0 0-0 (or 11..Qe7)and I quite prefer White's prospects. 12.Ne4 Be7 have been played a few times. And what was the aim of Bb4 then?

10..Nxc3 11.bxc3 and I agree with you Scholar.

10..Bd6 11.0-0 0-0 12.Ne4! f5! 13.gxf6 Nxf6 14.Ng5 Qd7 15.Bc4 Nd5 16.Qe4 Rxf1+ 17.Kxf1 g6 18.Qxe6+ Qxe6 19.Nxe6 Nd7 20.Bh6 Nxf8 Bxf8 +/= (Leisebein's analysis)

10..Be7 11.0-0 0-0 12.Ne4 Nb4 13.Nf6+! gxf6 (..Bxf6 14.gxf6 with nice pressure in the Black's square, but maybe playable)14.Bxh7+!! +-

of course 12..Nd7 is maybe playable, and now 13.c4 Nb6 14.Bb1 (12..Qb6 has also been played ), and the position is not clear.

Now the other main move : 8..Qxd4 9.Be3

Quote:
8...Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd8 10.g5 Nd5 11.Bc4 e6 12.0-0 Qd7 (instead, Qc7 13.Bxd5 cxd5 14.Rae1 Kd8 15.Nb5 and White starts to look like he might get something going).  Of course, I am sure that these are not even close to the best lines for White here.  Like I suggested before, I see little reason to try and find them now if you can just look them up, and we can continue from there.

Quote:
8...Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nd7 11.Bf5 Ne5 12.Qg3 Nbd7 is one cute line.  Taking on d4 is not particularly to my taste, but this is obviously the critical move for the variation, so I assume White is packing some tactics here that I don't immediately see.

11.Bd2 to try to castle long or 11.Qf2!? seems to be the best moves.
9..Qd8 10.g5 Nd5 11.0-0-0 e6 12.Bb5(!) Nd7 13.Rf1 looks equal!

after 11.Bd2, Qe6+ is possible, 12.Be2 and I wait to see your ideas for Black here.

8..Qe5 and 8..Qb4 are quite common, but I believe White have a strong attack for the pawns. 8..Qe5 9.0-0-0 e6 10.g5 Nd7 11.Bc4! and 8..Qb4 9.0-0-0 e6 and here White have somes good options, like 11.Nb5!?, 11.Rd4, or 11.Bd4. I don't know which is best but when I faced 8..Qb4 in a CC game I have played 11.Bd4 and won.

to Eric :

Quote:
4.Nge2 Bb4! buries the Rasmussen as, coincidently agreed by John Cox in his forthcoming book

after 5.Bd2, with accurate play, I agree, that there is equality (but no more). But is it the best choice for Black to have no more than equality when the challenge is to win with a pawn up? If you are unprepared to face the BDG accepted, then the line you give is good enough. But I don't know if we can consider (=) as a refutation of the BDG. But the Lemberger is not so easy to play, because you have to know how to play against every variations you have cited, even if they are little worse than the Rasmussen theorically.

Quote:
4.Nxd4 is doomed by both 4...Qxd4 and 4...exd4 Instead of moves, a simple diagram would suffice in that case   
Still, I shall bring on the moves soon and decide what is the most convenient of the two,  in the EP spirit   
A hint? 4...exd4 5.Bb5+ Bd7! 6.Qe2 Qe7 7.Nf3 Nc6 8.0-0 0-0-0.

After 4..exd4 5.Nf3, what is your recommandation?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #15 - 09/15/05 at 16:35:49
Post Tools
GM Prie,

Please don't take what some of the others say here personally.  They have already stated that they don't believe in GrandMasters when it comes to the BDG.  They won't believe your analysis, your play, and they may even question your existence.  ("I play well, therefore I don't exist in BDG land.")

You actually used words, which are taboo in this thread, but you committed a far graver sin:

You back up your words with logical, easy to follow variations that don't take up worlds of unwanted electrons.   I'm sorry, but those two sins combine to form the lethal punishment of being ignored by some denizens of this forum.  (It's the closest they can come to ostracizing you!)

Don't worry, I have a far worse fate ahead of me.  Because I am not a titled player, and I've dared to respond using only words, I will be cast into the flames by those same people.  Hopefully, I will at least give them a bit of sustenance for their long stay here.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #14 - 09/15/05 at 16:26:45
Post Tools
I agree fully that the Lemberger Defense (it is not a Countergambit, that is a trick of BDG aficionados to make an unattractive line look more attractive) is a good reason for White not to play the BDG. It is similar to the reason I gave up the Danish: 3...d5! and White can forget about his attacking play.
After playing a variety of gambits myself on my modest level for a long time I have noticed this. Amateurs seem to have a more "principled" than "practical" attitude. They desire to prove gambit play dead wrong and thus accept the pawn with all the risks. This attitude is a great joy for all amateur gambit players.
So I don't have any doubt, that the heated debate on the refutation of the BDG will continue forever, despite of GM Prié's laudable efforts to teach us a more sensible and practicle attitude!
Lips Sealed as I have already produced too much of the BS Nexirae was complaining about.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves

Reply #13 - 09/15/05 at 11:27:39
Post Tools
Why is the result of my work published on chesspublishing.com so diaphanous on its forum ? Smiley

The Lemberger 3...e5! refutes the BDG in the sense of providing Black with AT LEAST an easy equality but with enough substance for the better player to be able, later, to outplay his opponent.

You can have my word on it : That is the main reason why no OTB Master plays the BDG. He does not have to immerge himself in the twists and turns of the f3 pawn acception to realize it is a dubious gamble.

4. d5, 4.Be3, 4.dxe5 were examined in the original update.

The Shneiders 4.Qh5 Nc6! 5.dxe5 was refuted later.
I hope Nexirae does not want me to reproduce here what has been regularly published!

4.Nge2 Bb4! buries the Rasmussen as, coincidently agreed by John Cox in his forthcoming book.

4.Nxd4 is doomed by both 4...Qxd4 and 4...exd4 Instead of moves, a simple diagram would suffice in that case  Smiley
Still, I shall bring on the moves soon and decide what is the most convenient of the two,  in the EP spirit  Wink
A hint? 4...exd4 5.Bb5+ Bd7! 6.Qe2 Qe7 7.Nf3 Nc6 8.0-0 0-0-0.

As for the Hubsch as posted above 3...Nxe4! 4.Nxe4 dxe4 offers Black a CLEAR ADVANTAGE this time because the exchange of knights rids White of his best piece and fluidifies Black's development.

Without mentionning 5.f3? e5, THE REFUTATIONS 5.Bc4 Nc6! and 5.Bf4 g6! can be retrieved on the forum with the search mask.

Oh, I almost forgot the Zilbermints attack of the Lemberger Counter-gambit 3...e5 4.b4!?  I let you guess the move Cheesy 

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #12 - 09/15/05 at 07:43:38
Post Tools
Quote:
Let's settle this once and for all. 

No words.  No BS, from either side.

All I want are variations here: if you think you can show a clear -/+ or better, please do so with variations.  No talking.  Just variations.

You guys talk too much.  If you want us to shut our mouths about the gambit, please show us why.

NeX iRae

1 d4 d5 2 e4 dxe4 3 Nc3 ... 

What, have you no eyes to read the other threads on this subject here?  Plenty of specific lines have been discussed at length there, and three exhibition games have been played, two of which are still in progress.

It really is either most ignorant, or most insincere, to come here with the suggestion that the criticism of this gambit, which offers about a half-pawn's worth of compensation for the pawn, has been based here on words alone.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #11 - 09/15/05 at 02:39:46
Post Tools
It is not my intention to get involved in the whole 'is the BDG sound?' debate (personally I think it's fine if that's the sort of game you like) but can I make a plea for some accuracy in notation?

Black's second move (after 1.d4 d5 2.e4) is 2...dxe4, not 2...exd4 (or variants thereon).

Call me pedantic if you will, but this sort of thing annoys me - it is sloppy and causes me to suspect that the analysis itself is also sloppy (which it may or may not be).

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #10 - 09/15/05 at 00:16:53
Post Tools
1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4 h6 9.Be3 e6 10.Bd3 Nbd7 11.0-0 Qc7 12.h4 0-0-0 13.g5? hxg5 -+

OK, that is a bit of a joke, but still.
« Last Edit: 09/15/05 at 21:41:48 by Scholar »  

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #9 - 09/14/05 at 23:41:20
Post Tools
8..h6 is not so bad, but a bit slow : my move is 9.Be3, and will continue with Bd3, 0-0, h4-g5 with pressure on f7. It make somes plan not playable for you.

I will post somes analysis of 8..e6 and 8..Qxd3 Be3 later.

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #8 - 09/14/05 at 22:47:06
Post Tools
1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 8.g4

I didn't really mean for this to become a game, more a discussion between or among friends.  I was out of theory by move 6, so it's not really meaningful for me to play a game here, unless I spend a week preparing.  Rather than do that, I figured I'd get us started.

So in my view, Black has three interesting choices here, 8...h6, e6, Qxd4.  Of course, I imagine that you have looked at all of these in some depth, but here are some of my initial thoughts:

8...h6 Black can continue with e6, Nbd7, Qc7, 0-0-0 etc. and seems quite solid.  This is more or less what I had in mind before I started thinking about specific variations.  I don't see anything at all for White here, but I admit to not trying very hard.  This would be my choice if I had to play against this line right now.  (And so if you prefer to play a game rather than analyze cooperatively, consider this my move.)

8...Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd6 10.g5 Nd7 11.Bf5 Ne5 12.Qg3 Nbd7 is one cute line.  Taking on d4 is not particularly to my taste, but this is obviously the critical move for the variation, so I assume White is packing some tactics here that I don't immediately see.

8...Qxd4 9.Be3 Qd8 10.g5 Nd5 11.Bc4 e6 12.0-0 Qd7 (instead, Qc7 13.Bxd5 cxd5 14.Rae1 Kd8 15.Nb5 and White starts to look like he might get something going).  Of course, I am sure that these are not even close to the best lines for White here.  Like I suggested before, I see little reason to try and find them now if you can just look them up, and we can continue from there.

For reasons unbeknownst to me the lines after
8...e6 9.g5 Nd5 10.Bd3 seem to be the most popular in practice.  I think White almost has compensation in some of these lines:

10...Nxc3 11.bxc3 Bd6 and not 12.Rb1 is unplayed but seems annoying.  Black will have a hard time developing because of the weakness of b7 and f7.  (White usually prefers some random weaker alternative and then loses.)

instead, 11...Qd5 12.Be4 Qd7 13.Rb1 Bd6 14.0-0 which is similar to the above.  I'm unimpressed with Black's position.

10...Bb4 11.0-0 0-0 is an option I haven't had time to explore; this invites White's kingside attack, but probably Black can defend.  At any rate, something for future exploration.

10...Nb4 a computer strategy: take out the light-squared bishop.  Fritz has a good chuckle and then vomits out: 11.0-0 Qxd4+ 12.Be3 Qd7 13.Rad1 Qe7 14.Bxh7 Nd7 15.g6 f6.  Good stuff.

At any rate, hopefully that is some food for thought; I think most of the lines I flagged as favoring Black will stand up to scruntiny, though I guess I only really need one.
« Last Edit: 09/15/05 at 21:41:21 by Scholar »  

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 09/14/05 at 17:27:21
Post Tools
This was the 4...e3 line.  What was that about BS, NeX iRae?
« Last Edit: 09/15/05 at 00:32:35 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #6 - 09/14/05 at 15:02:20
Post Tools

nexirae - dvigorito  (a.k.a. Fluffy)
GCS GCS, 13.07.2003

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 e3 5.Bxe3 Bf5 6.g4 Bg6 7.Nge2 h6 8.Bg2 e6 9.Ne4 Bxe4 10.fxe4 Nxg4 11.Bf4 c6 12.h3 Nf6 13.Qd3 Nbd7 14.0-0-0 Be7 15.Qg3 Nh5 16.Qf3 Nxf4 17.Nxf4 Bg5 18.h4 Bxf4+ 19.Qxf4 Qe7 20.d5 e5 21.Qe3 cxd5 22.exd5 Qd6 23.Rhe1 0-0 24.Bh3 f5 25.Rg1 Kh8 26.Qg3 Qf6 27.Bxf5 Nb6 28.d6 Rad8 29.Rdf1 Rg8 30.Bh7 Qxd6 31.Bxg8 Rxg8 32.Rf7 1-0

You had 13 mins left on the clock at the end.  Don't blame the flag.

Terrible, patzerous play by myself too.  Two years ago though Smiley 

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 09/14/05 at 00:56:31
Post Tools
Zilbermints - Vladimir Polyakin  (2128)
New York City, Marshall Chess Club
Friday Super Rapids
9 September 2005

1 d4 d5 2 e4 de4  3 Nc3 Nf6 4 f3 ef3 5 Nxf3 Bg4  6 h3 Bxf3 7 Qxf3 c6  8 g4 e6  9 g5 Nd5  10 Bd3  Bb4  11 00  00  12 Ne4
Ne7  13  c3 Bd6  14 Qg4  c5  15 Nf6+!  gf6  16 Bxh7+!!  Kxh7
17  Qh5+  Kg8  18 gf6  Ng6  19 Qh6,  Black Resigns

1 - 0
« Last Edit: 09/14/05 at 21:43:36 by Gambit »  
YIM  
IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/13/05 at 23:36:58
Post Tools
From Fluffy: Quote:
1.d4 d5 2.e4? ed4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 ef3=+

5.Nxf3 unclear at the moment.

From Sholar :
Quote:
1.d4 d5 2.e4 exd4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 (you may consider this a conditional move if you prefer an alternative for White).

8.g4

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #3 - 09/13/05 at 22:53:42
Post Tools
Black has nothing to prove in the BDG. He is a pawn up in a safe position, with statistics heavily favoring him.

So come back when you can show a healthy += in all lines. 5...Bg4, 5...e6 and 5...g6 probably are the lines you should handle first. But then there also are 5...a6(!), 5...c6 and 5...Nc6.

Please make sure that you at least have considered all replies from tournament praxis where Black is a strong player (2400+) and all replies for Black suggested by Fritz, Junior or another strong analysis engine.

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/05 at 21:59:48
Post Tools
Quote:

No words.  No BS, from either side.

All I want are variations here: if you think you can show a clear -/+ or better, please do so with variations.  No talking.  Just variations.

You guys talk too much.  If you want us to shut our mouths about the gambit, please show us why.

NeX iRae

-/+ is asking a lot from Black.  I don't think that White is lost by playing the BDG, simply that he no longer can be said to have the advantage.  Viewing chess as a game solved to a draw with best play, this is immaterial, and in that sense, I do not think the BDG will ever be refuted.

But I am willing to take up the position from the other thread, if only so that I learn something.  Perhaps it will teach me to be more ambitious against the BDG.  At least, understand that I am playing for =+, and would not be disappointed with static equality, so if seeing such a continuation is insufficient to convince you, then you need not reply.  Others may prefer more enterprising play with Black.  For me, play continues:

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bg4 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 c6 (you may consider this a conditional move if you prefer an alternative for White).
« Last Edit: 09/15/05 at 21:40:41 by Scholar »  

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #1 - 09/13/05 at 21:28:30
Post Tools
1.d4 d5 2.e4? ed4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 ef3=+

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Please, refute the BDG if you can.
09/13/05 at 20:49:15
Post Tools

No words.  No BS, from either side.

All I want are variations here: if you think you can show a clear -/+ or better, please do so with variations.  No talking.  Just variations.

You guys talk too much.  If you want us to shut our mouths about the gambit, please show us why.

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo