Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Taimanov Sicilian book by James Rizzitano (Read 23574 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: New Taimanov Sicilian book by James Rizzitano
Reply #45 - 01/16/07 at 20:55:14
Post Tools
Thing is not to try and threaten something. The minors will pick up some pawns along the way anyway, but for the moment they need to keep the defenses tight.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #44 - 01/16/07 at 20:52:25
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 01/16/07 at 13:07:38:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danheisman/Articles/evaluation_of_material_imbalan...
Some statistical considerations, maybe of some use Smiley

PS I had this variation in one of my first Taimanov outings and had a cakewalk. The minor pieces are like a plague for white.

Perhaps you're right.  A couple of years ago I looked at this with one of my students, and we felt that White could demonstrate little and was probably worse.  But now that I have had to play the Black side of it, I am less certain that Black is better.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 01/16/07 at 14:32:18
Post Tools
Gazza won 4-2, I think. Sure Google'll do the business for you; it was reported at the time.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #42 - 01/16/07 at 14:26:15
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/16/07 at 14:14:02:
Curious article. I always have difficulty with this methodology since presumably most times when people give up the exchange they do it because they think they have compensation. I would therefore expect such a method to undervalue material advantage.

Prophetic conclusion though, because of course Kasparov did play an odds match against Terry Chapman, at - was it two pawns and move? Hard to say what TC's rating would have been, since IIRC he'd not played for a long time but trained quite specifically for the match.

What was the result? I had never heard of it

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 01/16/07 at 14:14:02
Post Tools
Curious article. I always have difficulty with this methodology since presumably most times when people give up the exchange they do it because they think they have compensation. I would therefore expect such a method to undervalue material advantage.

Prophetic conclusion though, because of course Kasparov did play an odds match against Terry Chapman, at - was it two pawns and move? Hard to say what TC's rating would have been, since IIRC he'd not played for a long time but trained quite specifically for the match.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #40 - 01/16/07 at 13:07:38
Post Tools
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danheisman/Articles/evaluation_of_material_imbalan...
Some statistical considerations, maybe of some use Smiley

PS I had this variation in one of my first Taimanov outings and had a cakewalk. The minor pieces are like a plague for white.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 01/16/07 at 12:55:11
Post Tools
I don't know about instruction! Merely an alternative theory, I would have said. But it's a good question about sources: no, I don't - you'd think someone would have treated the subject in a theoretical sort of way. Is there something in Watson perhaps? Or one of Peter Wells' Strategy columns in ChessBase magazine?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #38 - 01/16/07 at 12:51:52
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/16/07 at 12:25:57:
Really, Markovich? I would have said the reverse; I would have thought the power of a queen was precisely that it can be in two places at once, as it were.

Perhaps open/closed positions are a false distinction - what the minor pieces need most of all is stability.

Thanks for your reaction.  I'm happy to have the instruction of an IM on this point.  But, for better worse, I decided to try to open the game.  We'll see how it turns out.   

Do you know of any good references on the play of the queen versus three minor pieces?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 01/16/07 at 12:25:57
Post Tools
Really, Markovich? I would have said the reverse; I would have thought the power of a queen was precisely that it can be in two places at once, as it were.

Perhaps open/closed positions are a false distinction - what the minor pieces need most of all is stability.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #36 - 01/16/07 at 07:48:46
Post Tools
The position after 13.Qg4:

http://www.france-echecs.com/diagramme/imgboard.phpfen=r1b1k1nr/1pbp1ppp/2n1p3/8...

Black's issue is to get the pieces out!

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #35 - 01/16/07 at 01:21:42
Post Tools
Ptero wrote on 01/15/07 at 21:46:28:
I firmly believe that 13...Be5! is much suprior to the submissive 13...g6. I think Rizzitano’s line with 18…0-0 (?!) is not the best way for black to play this position.  I believe black should hack violently at the white center with 18…g5! 19.fxg5 Nc6 to clear the way for his minor pieces.  I would like to hear a more qualified opinion though…

Just about chess, not this system.  I think that if you want to win with three minor pieces against the queen, you need an open position.  The queen is a very local piece, like an ultra-powerful knight.  In a closed position, you risk being overwhelmed locally.  Better for the three pieces if play is across the whole board, I opine.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Ptero

When all else fails, read
the instructions.

Reply #34 - 01/15/07 at 21:46:28
Post Tools
I firmly believe that 13...Be5! is much suprior to the submissive 13...g6. I think Rizzitano’s line with 18…0-0 (?!) is not the best way for black to play this position.  I believe black should hack violently at the white center with 18…g5! 19.fxg5 Nc6 to clear the way for his minor pieces.  I would like to hear a more qualified opinion though…

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #33 - 01/15/07 at 21:13:53
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/15/07 at 19:45:35:
So, what does Rizzitano say about 3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nc6  5. Nc3 Qc7  6. Nb5?  I have an ongoing, informal c.c. game with 6...Qb8 7.Be3 a6 8.Bb6 axb5 9.Nxb5 Bb4 10.c3 Ba5 11.Nc7 Qxc7 12.Bxc7 Bxc7 13.Qg4 Be5 (recommended by Sakaev, but with very scant follow-up) 14.f4 Nf6 15.Qh4 Bc7 16.Bd3 e5 17.f5 Bb6 18.Ke2 d5.  I feel a little better about my chances right now, but I must admit that I was quite worried for awhile.  When I played 16...e5 I decided to strive for an open position.  I am not sure of the correctness of that and even now I could still lose.  

No specific advice please, just your thoughts about this variation, and info about how Rizzitano treats it.

It's curious that this line isn't played more often.

In 1999, Ponamariov won some nice games in this line with the white pieces but seemed to stop playing it shortly after this.  Not too long ago, I'd seen suggestions that maybe Black should prefer 9...Ra5 to 9...Bb4+ (first Burgess in his book 'The Taimanov Sicilian' and later Watson in a review of the same book http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/jwatson31.html) but apparently 9...Bb4+ remains the main line.

I think it's a fascinating line.  Maybe the reason it's not chosen more often by White is that, with the resulting positions being so unbalanced and unclear, there are safer ways to play for an advantage.

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #32 - 01/15/07 at 20:33:50
Post Tools
Hmm. Apparently, I spent quite some time looking at poor blitz games before posting.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #31 - 01/15/07 at 20:31:31
Post Tools
So, what does Rizzitano say about 3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nc6  5. Nc3 Qc7  6. Nb5?  I have an ongoing, informal c.c. game with 6...Qb8 7.Be3 a6 8.Bb6 axb5 9.Nxb5 Bb4 10.c3 Ba5 11.Nc7 Qxc7 12.Bxc7 Bxc7 13.Qg4 Be5 (recommended by Sakaev, but with very scant follow-up) 14.f4 Nf6 15.Qh4 Bc7 16.Bd3 e5 17.f5 Bb6 18.Ke2 d5.  I feel a little better about my chances right now, but I must admit that I was quite worried for awhile.  When I played 16...e5 I decided to strive for an open position.  I am not sure of the correctness of that and even now I could still lose.  

No specific advice please, just your thoughts about this variation, and info about how Rizzitano treats it.

Rizzitano follows Vorobiov-Beshukov, 2002, where 13...g6 is played instead. (Remember that this is a complete games type of book.) In the notes, 13...Kf8?! and 13...Be5!? are analysed. He acknowledge the Semkov/Delchev analysis but suggests 18.Bd3!? instead of 18.Bb3 and gives a line where he thinks white have a slight edge.

I think you're right. This is an important line. Some might play 5...a6 to avoid it but then the exchange variation becomes more attractive.

I have just started to play the Taimanov. Just in CC and blitz, so far. I've only met it once when I won quickly. But I think this line needs to be thoroughly analysed. The material is quite unbalanced and the right plan for black is not obvious.

Note: I actually found another game of mine played at the ICC. Played a year ago before I even started to look at the Taimanov.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #30 - 01/15/07 at 20:20:53
Post Tools
So, what does Rizzitano say about 3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nc6  5. Nc3 Qc7  6. Nb5?  I have an ongoing, informal c.c. game with 6...Qb8 7.Be3 a6 8.Bb6 axb5 9.Nxb5 Bb4 10.c3 Ba5 11.Nc7 Qxc7 12.Bxc7 Bxc7 13.Qg4 Be5 (recommended by Sakaev, but with very scant follow-up) 14.f4 Nf6 15.Qh4 Bc7 16.Bd3 e5 17.f5 Bb6 18.Ke2 d5.  I feel a little better about my chances right now, but I must admit that I was quite worried for awhile.  When I played 16...e5 I decided to strive for an open position.  I am not sure of the correctness of that and even now I could still lose. 

Rizzitano gives 13...Be5 as an interesting variation recommended by Delchev/Semkov (where it is the main line) and tries to improve over the Delchev/Semkov variations on move 18 (Rizzitano diverges from your game on move 15, because he only cover 15.Qf3 and 15.Qxg7?) claiming a slight edge for white. Rizzitano's mainline is 13...g6, which he also seems to belive to be slightly better for white. Rizzitano's recommendation for a safe game appears to be 7...Nf6 with an eventual transposition to the Scheveningen in mind.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #29 - 01/15/07 at 19:45:35
Post Tools
So, what does Rizzitano say about 3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nc6  5. Nc3 Qc7  6. Nb5?  I have an ongoing, informal c.c. game with 6...Qb8 7.Be3 a6 8.Bb6 axb5 9.Nxb5 Bb4 10.c3 Ba5 11.Nc7 Qxc7 12.Bxc7 Bxc7 13.Qg4 Be5 (recommended by Sakaev, but with very scant follow-up) 14.f4 Nf6 15.Qh4 Bc7 16.Bd3 e5 17.f5 Bb6 18.Ke2 d5.  I feel a little better about my chances right now, but I must admit that I was quite worried for awhile.  When I played 16...e5 I decided to strive for an open position.  I am not sure of the correctness of that and even now I could still lose. 

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #28 - 12/27/06 at 16:35:01
Post Tools
Donaldson's book "A Strategic Opening Repertoire".

The games from this book can be downloaded here:  http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gossimit/c/book.htm

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #27 - 12/27/06 at 10:41:39
Post Tools
Dmitrya wrote on 12/27/06 at 05:10:15:
Fred read an email question from IM John Donaldson asking if Rizzitano could please write a book on an opening repertoire for White - this led to some general laughter and Rizzitano joked that he should write the book "Opening for White According to Donaldson" and update Donaldson's book "A Strategic Opening Repertoire".
I see that this book was published by International Chess Enterprises in 1998, is out of print, and sells for US $ 75.00 on Amazon.com. Does anyone know what the strategic opening repertoire was and why this book is so expensive?

I happen to have this book. I picked up a used copy years ago when it was still reasonable. It advocates a repertoire based on 1 Nf3 and 2 c4. It overs the mainlineSymmetrical English against 1. c5 or 2. c5 including facing the Hedgehog, the Catalan against an early d5, the QID with g3 when Black choses a QID setup and and English setup with the usual Rb1, b4 etc againts a KID setup.

As to why it is so expensive, the price is typical of out of print books. Since they are hard to get, people are willing to pay more - Demand and Supply

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Dmitrya
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 12/27/06 at 05:10:15
Post Tools
I just listened to James Rizzitano on Chess.FM and he sounded very personable and was very well-spoken. Some of the points he made concerning "Chess Explained: The Taimanov Sicilian" and other topics:
1) Fred Wilson and an email questioner commented on how much they enjoyed the game selection.
Rizzitano said that he spent a considerable amount of time looking at every game played by players with an average FIDE rating of 2400 and above and he tried to select games which demonstrated thematic opening, middlegame, and endgame themes for each line. He also said that he tried to select the most recent games that he could find; he also tried to avoid games that have appeared in other books. He said that he selected one older game (pre-2000) by Taimanov (I see this is Game 5, Nataf-Taimanov, Generations, Cannes 1998) to show how well Taimanov played his signature line.
2) Fred asked a question about Bobby Fischer's handling of the bishop in certain bishop versus knight middlegames and endgames - Rizzitano mentioned the book "Learn from the Legends - Chess Champions at their Best" by Mihail Marin and said that this book had an excellent chapter on this topic.
I see online that this book was first published by Quality Chess in 2004 - I do not have a copy however so I am curious if other folks like this book.
3) Fred read an email question from IM John Donaldson asking if Rizzitano could please write a book on an opening repertoire for White - this led to some general laughter and Rizzitano joked that he should write the book "Opening for White According to Donaldson" and update Donaldson's book "A Strategic Opening Repertoire".
I see that this book was published by International Chess Enterprises in 1998, is out of print, and sells for US $ 75.00 on Amazon.com. Does anyone know what the strategic opening repertoire was and why this book is so expensive? Rizzitano said something about it being 1.Nf3 and 2.c4. I thought Fred said that the book was being revised, but he did not say if IM John Donaldson was doing the revision.
Rizzitano said that it is much easier to write an opening repertoire book for Black than for White because of the number of lines you need to include to ensure proper coverage - he gave the example of one-volume king pawn opening repertoire books that recommend the Scotch Game rather than the Ruy Lopez because of space considerations - if they covered the Ruy Lopez, they would have to spend the entire book on 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5.
This was just a quick summary - I enjoyed the interview very much and Fred said that they are going to be replaying it for the next several days on Chess.FM. Smiley

IP Logged

Ptero

the instructions.

Reply #25 - 12/23/06 at 14:37:53
Post Tools
Looks like Fred Wilson will interview Rizzitano about his new Taimanov book and the comparison with the Semkov/Delchev book:

http://www.chessclub.com/chessfm/

Sadly this show is not at a very convenient hour for people on the other side of the Atlantic, and ChessFM are not very clear about replay times ("random" Huh)

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #24 - 12/10/06 at 22:42:29
Post Tools
Quote:
Delchev/Semkov book was FANTASTIC.

The ONLY problem I found was the actual variation. I think other Sicilians are better for winning (why do we play the Sicilian?) and black is not too dynamic on this one.

Even worse: In Najdorf / Dragon / Svesnikov if white doesnot know what he is doing he gets severely punished. With the taimanov, ALL white system have their venom...

Wow Fernando, you are one impossible guy to please.

You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Toppers Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #23 - 12/10/06 at 20:39:22
Post Tools
Delchev/Semkov book was FANTASTIC.

The ONLY problem I found was the actual variation. I think other Sicilians are better for winning (why do we play the Sicilian?) and black is not too dynamic on this one.

Even worse: In Najdorf / Dragon / Svesnikov if white doesnot know what he is doing he gets severely punished. With the taimanov, ALL white system have their venom...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

midknightblue
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 11/21/06 at 10:54:39
Post Tools
sorry this is the wrong place to post this i guess.  I just wanted to say that the updated chess stars book on the gruenfeld is an amazing book.  I am really enjoying it.  I leant it too my teacher unfortunately, and it took a lot of convincing to get the thing back from him  - because he was nuts about it as well. Shocked

IP Logged

Semko

Reply #21 - 11/14/06 at 14:21:23
Post Tools
Unfortunately we cannot avoid the boring 3Bb5 because of 2...e6 3 Nc3 Nc6 4 Bb5 and we are there again. However I believe that every true Sicilian player is much happier to face such "boring" variations than any other major system, like The English attack, or Be2,Be3 or Be3,Bd3. By the way, I heard that Rizzitano is very superficial on the English attack, but we'll have some hard time when Khalifman publishes his discoveries. For now my information is that he is digging in that direction, but there is still no refutation...

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #20 - 11/14/06 at 09:11:38
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 11/14/06 at 00:54:21:
You have avoided the boring 3.Bb5 but not the boring 3.c3

Tops Smiley

It is in the Semkov book as well Wink

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #19 - 11/14/06 at 00:54:21
Post Tools
Dmitrya wrote on 11/14/06 at 00:23:44:
Fluffy, Thank you very much for the clarification and review; I am looking forward to the arrival of Rizzitano's book.

Semko, Thank you also; sorry the business arrangement with the Chess Cafe did not work out, but that explains why they were selling off their remaining inventory of your books - the books are excellent by the way! There appears to be some misinformation about your Gruenfeld books on the web - maybe I read a book review somewhere that was misinformed about the differences between them.

Everyone, Thanks for your input about both of these books - two other titled players that I am friends with have emailed me that both the Rizzitano book and the Delchev/Semko book are excellent and that it is simply a no-brainer decision to buy both of them because they complement each other well - I have done so and soon I will have two excellent books to study! I am looking forward to playing 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6! and watching some of my opponents squirm because they can not play their boring 3.Bb5(+) lines! I will report back on these books shortly!

You have avoided the boring 3.Bb5 but not the boring 3.c3

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Dmitrya
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 11/14/06 at 00:23:44
Post Tools
Fluffy, Thank you very much for the clarification and review; I am looking forward to the arrival of Rizzitano's book.

Semko, Thank you also; sorry the business arrangement with the Chess Cafe did not work out, but that explains why they were selling off their remaining inventory of your books - the books are excellent by the way! There appears to be some misinformation about your Gruenfeld books on the web - maybe I read a book review somewhere that was misinformed about the differences between them.

Everyone, Thanks for your input about both of these books - two other titled players that I am friends with have emailed me that both the Rizzitano book and the Delchev/Semko book are excellent and that it is simply a no-brainer decision to buy both of them because they complement each other well - I have done so and soon I will have two excellent books to study! I am looking forward to playing 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6! and watching some of my opponents squirm because they can not play their boring 3.Bb5(+) lines! I will report back on these books shortly!

IP Logged

Semko

Reply #17 - 11/13/06 at 19:54:46
Post Tools
Dmitrya, perhaps you should take a look at our site (The Taimanov is $24). Unfortunately there is not a chance that our 2006 books be dumped from Chess cafe since we broke business relations with these people in January. We make second editions rarely - only the QGA. The book was completely sold out and we thought that it will be fair to update it rather than just reprint. The same applies to the Gruenfeld, but you could hardly compare the first Gruenfeld of 168 pages with the completely new book of 426 pages.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #16 - 11/12/06 at 04:05:46
Post Tools
[Question from Dmitrya]
I noticed an interesting game today:
2006 Tal Memorial, Moscow 2006. Round 3 Taimanov Sicilian B46.
Magnus Carlsen 2698 - Shakhhriyar Mamedyarov 2728
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Nxc6 bxc6 7.Bd3 d5 8.0-0 Nf6 9.Re1 Be7 10.e5 Nd7 11.Qg4 g6 12.Na4 Qa5 13.Bh6 c5 (this appears to be a new move to me - 13...Qb4 was played in Magnus Carlsen - Giovanni Vescovi, Wijk aan Zee 2006) 14.b3 c4 15.Bf1 Bb7 16.Re3 Bc6 17.Qf4 Bxa4 18.Rf3 0-0-0 19.Qxf7 Rhe8 20.bxa4 Bc5 with interesting complications.
Just curious if Rizzitano covers this line in "Chess Explained: The Taimanov Sicilian". I am going to order his book anyway because I really like Rizzitano's QGA book "How to Beat 1 d4" in particular his lines against the Veresov Opening and the Hodgson Attack have been helpful to me at my club.

Rizzitano does mention this line and here is a quote from page 37 of his book (after covering 12 Bh6 and 12 b3):
" b) 12 Na4!? (this move-order finesse is worthy of attention) 12...Qa5 13 Bh6 Qb4 (13...c5!? 14 b3 c4 15 Bf1 Bb7 16 Qh3!? looks promising for White because Black does not have the ...Qb8 idea as in the Adams-Svidler game in line 'a' above - Black's king has no safe haven) 14 Qxb4 Bxb4" (and the line continues but I will not give away the book!).
This is very impressive because two 2700 players followed Rizzitano's suggestion until Magnus Carlsen varied with 16 Re3 - note that "Chess Explained: the Taimanov Sicilian" was published during late October 2006, several weeks before the above-mentioned game was played.

I can tell you that "Chess Explained: The Taimanov Sicilian" is a great book - very well-written with first-rate analysis and solid coverage of all relevant lines.

IP Logged

Dmitrya
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 11/09/06 at 23:14:45
Post Tools
Thanks everyone - I have ordered James Rizzitano's "Chess Explained: The Taimanov Sicilian" so I am looking forward to receiving it - I have one of his previous books "How to Beat 1 d4" and it is excellent. I also have Alex Yermolinsky's "Chess Explained: The Classical Sicilian" in this series and it is great, and I am waiting for Peter Wells' "Chess Explained: The Queen's Indian" to arrive also.
I like most of the Chess Stars books too (especially the Khalifman "Opening for White according to Kramnik" series), but I tend to only buy them when they are offered at big discounts (60% to 70% off list price at the London Chess Center or the Chess Cafe websites - for example I picked up the three super tournaments books (this series was apparently discontinued after 2003 because of poor sales, although the books are decent enough), the QGA book, and the "Leko's One Hundred Wins" book for only US $9.95 or so each within the past year because the Chess Cafe has been dumping all of their poorly selling Chess Stars books as the "Special of the Week/Month".
My main concern with the Chess Stars opening books is that they have already come out with a second edition of their Gruenfeld book and their QGA book - I don't want to buy "The Safest Sicilian" for anywhere close to the list price of US $29.00 and then find out that they are going to come out with a second edition within a year or so. However, I will probably take a chance and buy it if I can find it at a decent price, or if I decide to definitely switch from the Najdorf to the Taimanov.

IP Logged

Ptero

the instructions.

Reply #14 - 11/09/06 at 11:16:58
Post Tools
Dmitrya wrote on 11/09/06 at 01:18:50:
Just curious if Rizzitano covers this line in "Chess Explained: The Taimanov Sicilian".

I will side with Willempie and say that if you are interested in playing the black side of the Taimanov your MUST HAVE is Delchev and Semkov's "The Safest Sicilian". Just think: super GM Delchev, who has played the Taimanov countless times from both sides, together with IM Semkov (who is a frequent visitor in this forum and was very helpful in discussing the book's material), share with you invaluable in-depth knowledge of how to play this variation with concrete explanations, objective evaluations and accurate analysis. There is nothing quite like it in recent chess theory literature.
The Rizzitano book is IMHO a decent effort and a "nice to have", but A) it gives just a partial coverage of ideas (as in all the "Chess explained" series) for both sides, and B) it is not realy in the same league as "The Safest Sicilian".
I will add that Rizzitano provides some coverage of the 5...a6 variation (Delchev and Semkov give only 5...Qc7.  Personally I never trusted 5...a6, but it was played by Anand, Svidler and Rublevsky - so who am I to judge?), but the concrete 12.Na4! is given only as a brief side note.
Finally, at my level (Fide 2141) I mainly encounter (and I play the Taimanov a lot) the variation with bishops on e2 and e3 and with short castling.  English attack is rather rare and <2200 players usually have no clue how to play it against the Taimanov  

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #13 - 11/09/06 at 10:14:49
Post Tools
Dmitrya wrote on 11/09/06 at 01:18:50:
I am curious about the Taimanov Sicilian because this variation seems to be gaining in popularity and many of the strong young Russian and former Soviet Republic players among others have taken it up recently. Maybe this is a backlash against some of the over-analyzed Sicilian Defence variations and we are seeing the start of a new trend.
I currently play the Najdorf Sicilian but I am finding it difficult to keep up with the English Attack theory so I am looking to switch to something a little calmer. I like the Sicilian Defence positions so I do not want to switch to another opening, just to another Sicilian Defence variation. Thanks in advance everyone! Oh one more thing I am a Candidate Master (also known as an "Expert" here in U.S.A.)!

Never played the Najdorf except with white, so I may be not the right person to answer but will do so anyway. I have taken up the Taimanov after getting the book by Delchev/Semkov (definately get it if you want to take it up) and I would say the opening is a bit of a mix between active piece play and not too overt strategies. So I would say the feel is very similar to the French (esp the Winawer), but with more options. So I would say it is safer than the Najdorf, but also the game is more strategic. Ie many white opponents dont have a clue on what to play for after the initial moves, while for black ideas are much easier to find OTB.

IP Logged

Dmitrya
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 11/09/06 at 01:18:50
Post Tools
Wow this forum is fantastic! Really useful stuff here! I noticed an interesting game today:
2006 Tal Memorial, Moscow 2006. Round 3 Taimanov Sicilian B46.
Magnus Carlsen 2698 - Shakhhriyar Mamedyarov 2728
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Nxc6 bxc6 7.Bd3 d5 8.0-0 Nf6 9.Re1 Be7 10.e5 Nd7 11.Qg4 g6 12.Na4 Qa5 13.Bh6 c5 (this appears to be a new move to me - 13...Qb4 was played in Magnus Carlsen - Giovanni Vescovi, Wijk aan Zee 2006) 14.b3 c4 15.Bf1 Bb7 16.Re3 Bc6 17.Qf4 Bxa4 18.Rf3 0-0-0 19.Qxf7 Rhe8 20.bxa4 Bc5 with interesting complications.
Just curious if Rizzitano covers this line in "Chess Explained: The Taimanov Sicilian". I am going to order his book anyway because I really like Rizzitano's QGA book "How to Beat 1 d4" in particular his lines against the Veresov Opening and the Hodgson Attack have been helpful to me at my club.
I am curious about the Taimanov Sicilian because this variation seems to be gaining in popularity and many of the strong young Russian and former Soviet Republic players among others have taken it up recently. Maybe this is a backlash against some of the over-analyzed Sicilian Defence variations and we are seeing the start of a new trend.
I currently play the Najdorf Sicilian but I am finding it difficult to keep up with the English Attack theory so I am looking to switch to something a little calmer. I like the Sicilian Defence positions so I do not want to switch to another opening, just to another Sicilian Defence variation. Thanks in advance everyone! Oh one more thing I am a Candidate Master (also known as an "Expert" here in U.S.A.)!

IP Logged

Semko

Reply #11 - 10/29/06 at 22:45:10
Post Tools
Hi everybody! I saw a number of speculations about the Burgess' Taimanov book missing from the bibliography of Chess Stars "The Safest Sicilian". I'd like to specify that we always mention the sources we use. We also try to get the best possible authors for our opening books. My primary source for the "Safest Sicilian" were the analyses of Delchev directly from his computer. That's the advantage of having one of the best experts for an author. Had Delchev read Burgess' book or no I would not know. I have not read it so I did not include it in the bibliography. Anyway 100% of the material in our book is analysed by the authors (Delchev and me) and we stand behind every evaluation with our names. I believe there is little help for the reader to see notes of the type "according to NN". He pays to see what we have to say on the subject. So even if you happen to see a reference to some other grandmaster, we adhered to his assessment and you are free to blame us should it prove wrong. Naturally such an approach assumes committing mistakes, but at least they are our own.
Another delicate question is whether to include in the biblioigraphy books if I failed to find any useful for me information in them. I'm still hesitating on that...
Semkov

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #10 - 10/28/06 at 20:08:07
Post Tools
Rizzitano has made a very thorough overview and he is very clear in what he has and what he has not covered. So a novice would get a complete feel about the complete taimanov, which is an achievement in itself. What is however very remarkable, that there is little overlap between "The Safest Sicilian" and this book. It almost looks on purpose. Where he does overlap, he often gives additional analysis and / or improvements.

It is clear that Rizzitano studied all sources mentioned in his bibiography well. He gives the important analysis out of those sources, and as a rule he is giving (a lot of) additional analysis. So if you are a Taimanov fan, this book is a must. However it is not a reportoire book. The variations covered are the Paulsen Taimanov (early Qc7). All the analysed games are very recent (1998 or younger).

If you want to play the Taimanov well, I think you need next to this book for instance also Safest Sicilian. Because some important variations receive little coverage. This is due to the Chess Explained coverage concept, which I like very much, but I find 25 games or 100+ pages to limited for a complex opening.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #9 - 10/26/06 at 21:34:36
Post Tools
ok, some answers;

The g3 system is indeed covered under 'White's Sixth Move Alternatives', receiving nearly four and a half pages worth of coverage (but just one full game, Dunis-Miladinovic 2003/4).  Bear in mind that the book has oversized pages, though, so this is a reasonable amount, I suppose - I don't face 6.g3 that often, so proportionately this kind of fits my own limited experience.

In the 'Sharp Variation', or English Attack, Delchev/Semkov say that 9...Na5 and 9...Ne7 'are doomed to oblivion', recommending 9...Ne5!.

Rizzitano gives 9...Na5!? in the game Akopian-Anand, 2004, noting that Anand played the move nine times during 2003-4, but stating that 'it is important to note that six of these nine battles were either blindfold or rapid games'.

Rizzitano does, however, cover 9...Ne5 (via the move order 8.f3 Ne5 9.0-0-0 Bb4) noting that it is the more popular move, and a few moves further into the line mentioning that GM Delchev is a specialist in the variation. Rizz says that although he doesn't examine the position after 9...Ne5 in great detail, he wants to make it clear that the position has been reached a great number of times (over 300) in practice,  thereby affording it respect.   

I hope this answers your questions without giving away too much of the book - as you probably know, it's more a book about ideas than variations so I would hope the author would forgive my quoting the above few lines.   It looks a very good read to me, and I really ought to make the time to get stuck into it!

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #8 - 10/26/06 at 08:51:02
Post Tools
2 questions:

1) The g3 system for White doesnt seem to have a chapter - is this lumped in with 6th move alternatives?

2) The "Sharp Variation" is presumably the modern English attack - what system does he recommend against this - at the critical juncture there is a choice between 3 different Knight moves: ...Na5, or ....Ne5 (Delchev/Semkov recomm I think), or ...Ne7 (recently resurrected by Nisipeaneau)

PS - I doubt very much Delchev/Semkov even looked at the Burgess book!

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #7 - 10/24/06 at 09:41:25
Post Tools
Indeed it is.  As are 12 other books and 7 'Electronic/Periodical' titles, including Sommerbauer's 2005 Cheebase CD on The Paulsen System.  I remember looking at the bibliography in Rizzitano's QGA book and being pleasantly surprised by the amount of material listed.  I think he's definitely thorough.  I was quite surprised by Semkov/Delchev's omission of Burgess' Taimanov book in their bibliography, actually, although perhaps it could be argued that they didn't need it (!) - then again, it may have just been an oversight not to mention it.  But it is reassuring to note that some authors make a point of listing the reference works they've used.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #6 - 10/24/06 at 04:17:55
Post Tools
One question: Is the Delchev/Semkov book included in the bibliography?

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #5 - 10/23/06 at 21:18:47
Post Tools
I'd be happy to answer a query on coverage of a specific line, if you have one in mind, without giving too much of the author's work away.  Rather that than try to review the book myself, as a) I'm not strong enough and b) I haven't read enough of it (or the Delchev book) to be of much use.  It's one of those 'I want it on my shelf cos one day I'll read it when I get time' books, of which I have rather a lot, I'm sorry to say.....

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #4 - 10/23/06 at 11:59:38
Post Tools
Nothing surprising in the content list:

004 Symbols

004 Dedication

004 Acknowledgements

004 Bibliography

005 Introduction

008 1 Probing Bishop and Maroczy Bind Variations: 5 Nb5

024 2 Taimanov Introduction: 5 Nc3 a6

040 3 White's Sixth-Move Alternatives: 5 Nc3 Qc7

055 4 Flexible Variation: 5 Nc3 Qc7 6 Be2

066 5 Sharp Variation: 5 Nc3 Qc7 6 Be3

087 6 Paulsen Main Line: 5 Nc3 Qc7 6 Be3 a6 7 Be2

109 List of Games

110 Index of Variations

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #3 - 10/23/06 at 08:22:13
Post Tools
Gambit usually has a pdf showing the content and some sample pages. Not for this one (yet).

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #2 - 10/22/06 at 20:06:22
Post Tools
Yes, I have both books, but I'm afraid I haven't had time to get stuck into either of them properly yet - still on first chapter of the Delchev.....  Embarrassed

I'll try to report back when I have more to offer, but I reckon the book is worthwhile from the first impressions I have.  I'll probably tackle it before continuing with Delchev, actually, but it would be hard for me to point out coverage overlaps just yet.  I also have Rizzitano's book on the QGA which you refer to, and don't think it simply apes the Chess Stars book - from the lines I've been through in that one Rizzitano seems to extend (and occasionally improve upon) the theory of the earlier work.  I'll come back when I know more....!

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #1 - 10/22/06 at 15:03:52
Post Tools
From what you say I gather you also have the Delchev/Semkov book? If so, how different is the material?

One thing I wonder about is that this the second time he is publishing something on the same subject just after a really good Chess Stars book about the same topic has come out, but I assume it's not just a reworking of the same material for a not-so-strong audience, right?

IP Logged

slates
God Member

New Taimanov Sicilian book by James Rizzitano
10/22/06 at 13:55:51
Post Tools
I thought you all should know that the above (Chess Explained - The Taimanov Sicilian)  has just been published by Gambit.  I received my copy yesterday and at a glance would say this looks like a very good book.  For me, Burgess' book on the Taimanov was a little too theory-dense, and this book looks way more suitable to my level. Together with the Delchev/Semkov book, this is something any Taimanov player will likely find useful.  Loads of explanation, but at possibly a slightly higher level than Everyman's Starting Out series of books, and enough theory for most players IMHO.
Looks like another winner from Rizzitano and Gambit.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo