Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Budapest Ideas (Read 87716 times)
Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Budapest Ideas
Reply #58 - 08/01/07 at 14:10:24
Post Tools
Indeed you are totaly right!But I play it for a long time and analyze many positions without computers.
Of course the positions which appear for black are just a matter of taste.I play the Queensgambit and the Queensindian as well against d4+c4 and I find all of this openings attractive in their special way.What I like abot the Bpg is,that there are often interessting positions on both sides.White tries often to keep the slight advantage by playing random strategies and black tries to find different ways to play against them.This is the interessting about the Bpg.
I must say that I am a kind of player,who likes to defend positions .( really strange ,I know:D)
Is here anybody,who is playing the Buderpestgambit as black and is satisfied with this opening?
Because it seems to me that I am the only one here,who believes in this opening Cry
Apropos to believe,a good friend of mine Arkadij Naiditsch said to me that to be successfull in an opening you need really to belive in it Wink.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #57 - 08/01/07 at 12:11:07
Post Tools
Computer evaluations are all very well, but ultimately, unless you have Toilet Fritz, you have to play the resultant positions. And therein lies the rub, despite whatever your computer tells you. In most of the main lines, White's play is so much easier than Black's, and this is something your computer won't tell you, since it has no conception of ease or difficulty. However, for practical pay, this is a huge consideration.
So, switch off your computer for a bit, and have a look at the positions, and ask yourself, am I happy to play these lines? Does my position have scope? Is there margin for error? Am I granting my opponent a risk-free edge? Not, oh this is +0.27...that's just spectacularly useless.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #56 - 08/01/07 at 09:47:29
Post Tools
Ptero wrote on 08/01/07 at 06:24:12:
Quote:
Of course white should play 7.e3 and not 7.a3?!

Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 11:22:04:
by the way 7.a3 has not only the intention to attak blacks bishop,but it also follows the general plan to push the c pawn.

Perhaps I should explain myself a little more - its flexibility:
White need to play e3, Be2, 0-0 in any case, and doing so doesn't reveal any of his intentions to black. Moreover, by playing this natural sequel he is also letting black make an unpleasant decision about his b4 bishop - either he takes the knight on d2 unprovoked, or he lets the bishop to be chased around after white unpins the knight. White is under no obligation to play an early a3 or b4 though. In case black captures on d2 the white queen will already support b4 after she recaptures the bishop. Sometimes white may be able to throw a quick c5 in, without having played a3 or b4 at all. So 7.a3 may well turn out to be redundant.
Having said all that, white is probably still a tad better after 7.a3 

I agree.
As black it is easier to play against 7.a3

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 08/01/07 at 09:45:28
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/31/07 at 21:45:39:
Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 17:28:58:
It would convince me,if you show me a clear line ,where white is much better,which cant be refuted.
Also the "main line" if you can call it like this ,has some mistakes,which I have showed some time ago.

I am not someone,who say that black is better or something stupid like this,but i only want to say that the Bpg is a solid opening ,where white has a slight advantage(if white stay alive until the middlegame),which is the case in every opening. But it is really a pity that many players believe ,that the Bdpg is a bad opening only because many Bdpg-players just play it without the knowledge you need in such an opening , lose and make a bad score with black.
To look at a databse is of course helpful ,if you start a new opening,but not to question the results and moves,which were made and just believe that the opening is bad,because white has won often is primitive and not really what the chessworld needs.
The Bpg isnt explored well enough and it is to early to say that it is a bad opening for black. THE END Grin

(All bold emphases are mine~ S-F)

(Bpg doesn't work very well in English, although I know Udav created it to compare to the Blackmar-Diemar Gambit, "BDG")
I have two main points of disagreement with Udav here.  I will start with the one he mentions last.

• Udav claims that the Budapest Gambit is not well explored.

There have been books written about the Budapest in several languages, world champions from Alekhine to Kasparov have analyzed it, and it's been played for about 80 years in a variety of tournaments.  This opening has been analyzed to death.  Literally.  The opening has been examined and found wanting by the best players of this era.

This brings us to Udav's first point: 

• He wants to claim that White has at best only a minimal advantage.  This claim is reasonable, but has been refuted.  White has more than a minimal advantage in almost every major line. 

Udav has claimed that 4.Nf3 is only equal for White in another thread, and yet has provided us with no "concrete line" to show this.

I don't think Udav is interested in being convinced that the Budapest is not really playable at the highest levels.  Rather, Udav is interested in convincing us that the Budapest belongs with the main openings that are being played today.  The Budapest may have a temporary resurgence, but it just is not rich enough to compete with Black's main choices.

Remember, the Budapest is competing with lines that deviate as early as the second move!  The burden of proof that 2...e5 is as playable as 2...e6 is on Udav.

Smyslov_Fan I think your contributions to this topic are only designed to attak someone.If you just have a closer look at your contributions you might maybe understand,that they dont belong to this topic,because we discuss here lines ,moves and positions and not why the Bpg is bad.
And to convince somebody is really not my intention.Everyone has his own brain to think.If I find out something new with the help of engines rated 2900-3100 Elo I just show the results here.Here are many players who convince with their ideas not only me in some positions,but also the engines.Maybe you can learn something from them.
Also you talk about your opinion as if this is the opinion of all the members here Grin

"

There have been books written about the Budapest in several languages, world champions from Alekhine to Kasparov have analyzed it, and it's been played for about 80 years in a variety of tournaments.  This opening has been analyzed to death. "

Grin Aha ,ok I think we can stop plaing chess,because all the openings have been analyzed a lot and white is slight better in many of the openings.Maybe black has just to resign? Grin
Sorry ,Smyslov_Fan, I really dont want to have trouble with you,but your preference to attak me allways,when you hear something like the Bpg is not bad is annoying.Just try to analyze as the other members to convince someone and attak variations and not the players!

IP Logged

Ptero

When all else fails, read
the instructions.

Reply #54 - 08/01/07 at 06:24:12
Post Tools
Quote:
Of course white should play 7.e3 and not 7.a3?!

Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 11:22:04:
by the way 7.a3 has not only the intention to attak blacks bishop,but it also follows the general plan to push the c pawn.

Perhaps I should explain myself a little more - its flexibility:
White need to play e3, Be2, 0-0 in any case, and doing so doesn't reveal any of his intentions to black. Moreover, by playing this natural sequel he is also letting black make an unpleasant decision about his b4 bishop - either he takes the knight on d2 unprovoked, or he lets the bishop to be chased around after white unpins the knight. White is under no obligation to play an early a3 or b4 though. In case black captures on d2 the white queen will already support b4 after she recaptures the bishop. Sometimes white may be able to throw a quick c5 in, without having played a3 or b4 at all. So 7.a3 may well turn out to be redundant.
Having said all that, white is probably still a tad better after 7.a3 

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #53 - 08/01/07 at 02:42:24
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 11:03:54:
Indeed Qe3 seems to be slight better.I have analyzed it a bit and white has more chances in this position,but it is really hard for white to keep his advantage.It is similar to the variation with Qd2.There white is also slight better,but black has enough compensation.
By the way Be6 instead of Qf6?! seems to be better.E.g. 14...Be6 15. Nd4! Qd7!! 16. Nxe6 Nxe6 += .
White has more space and the pair of bishops(it is not possible to keep this pair) .
Black has the better pawn-sturcture and two dangerous half-open-files on the Kingside.
I would say that white has more chances on the Queenside as black on the Kingside,but black has not only the chance to counter on the KS,but also the plan to play for an Endgame with the better pawn-structure.

You are contradicting yourself. Having enough compensation for the pawn means equality, White being somewhat better means not entirely enough. In any case, when claiming compensation, one must concretely explain, where that compensation comes from. Nothing is as superficial as "with an attack for the invested material."

Anyhow, 14...Be6 15.Nd4 Qd7 (please, why do these move deserve exclamation marks?) 16.Nxe6 Nxe6 17.Qd2 (what is the idea, Willempie?) Nxf4 18.gxf4 Qg4 does offer something concrete: the White's king's position is a bit airy. I can see Black transferring his rooks to the kingside. If the knight also gets involved (but that is quite troublesome due to Bg2), White faces severe difficulties. A sample line is 19.e3 Rae8 20.Rab1 Nd8 21.Kh1 b6 22.Rg1 Qh4. I would say, that the burden of proof is on White, to defend at one hand and converting the extra pawn at the other hand.
But this cannot be the last word, never when playing a gambit. It obliges us, to find improvements for the defender. Always keep two points in mind: the defender can stubbornly hang on to the extra pawn, but also return it to obtain some positional advantages. In this particular variation it is important to find out, if White can return the c4-pawn, but keep and activate the pair of bishops.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #52 - 07/31/07 at 21:45:39
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 17:28:58:
It would convince me,if you show me a clear line ,where white is much better,which cant be refuted.
Also the "main line" if you can call it like this ,has some mistakes,which I have showed some time ago.

I am not someone,who say that black is better or something stupid like this,but i only want to say that the Bpg is a solid opening ,where white has a slight advantage(if white stay alive until the middlegame),which is the case in every opening. But it is really a pity that many players believe ,that the Bdpg is a bad opening only because many Bdpg-players just play it without the knowledge you need in such an opening , lose and make a bad score with black.
To look at a databse is of course helpful ,if you start a new opening,but not to question the results and moves,which were made and just believe that the opening is bad,because white has won often is primitive and not really what the chessworld needs.
The Bpg isnt explored well enough and it is to early to say that it is a bad opening for black. THE END Grin

(All bold emphases are mine~ S-F)

(Bpg doesn't work very well in English, although I know Udav created it to compare to the Blackmar-Diemar Gambit, "BDG")
I have two main points of disagreement with Udav here.  I will start with the one he mentions last.

There have been books written about the Budapest in several languages, world champions from Alekhine to Kasparov have analyzed it, and it's been played for about 80 years in a variety of tournaments.  This opening has been analyzed to death.  Literally.  The opening has been examined and found wanting by the best players of this era.

This brings us to Udav's first point:  

• He wants to claim that White has at best only a minimal advantage.  This claim is reasonable, but has been refuted.  White has more than a minimal advantage in almost every major line.  

Udav has claimed that 4.Nf3 is only equal for White in another thread, and yet has provided us with no "concrete line" to show this.

I don't think Udav is interested in being convinced that the Budapest is not really playable at the highest levels.  Rather, Udav is interested in convincing us that the Budapest belongs with the main openings that are being played today.  The Budapest may have a temporary resurgence, but it just is not rich enough to compete with Black's main choices.

Remember, the Budapest is competing with lines that deviate as early as the second move!  The burden of proof that 2...e5 is as playable as 2...e6 is on Udav.

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #51 - 07/31/07 at 17:28:58
Post Tools
I am not someone,who say that black is better or something stupid like this,but i only want to say that the Bpg is a solid opening ,where white has a slight advantage(if white stay alive until the middlegame),which is the case in every opening.
But it is really a pity that many players believe ,that the Bdpg is a bad opening only because many Bdpg-players just play it without the knowledge you need in such an opening , lose and make a bad score with black.
The Bpg isnt explored well enough and it is to early to say that it is a bad opening for black.

THE END Grin

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #50 - 07/31/07 at 15:52:44
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 15:30:17:
right,but black has also a lot of chances,so it is not really possible to say that white is just better.Well the engine might show +=,but it is really not enough to convince someone , even our trainer,who is an GM would play this position as black .

What would convince you then? In the databases white has a large plus score in  the main line.

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 07/31/07 at 15:30:17
Post Tools
right,but black has also a lot of chances,so it is not really possible to say that white is just better.Well the engine might show +=,but it is really not enough to convince someone , even our trainer,who is an GM would play this position as black .

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #48 - 07/31/07 at 12:28:57
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 11:03:54:
Indeed Qe3 seems to be slight better.I have analyzed it a bit and white has more chances in this position,but it is really hard for white to keep his advantage.It is similar to the variation with Qd2.There white is also slight better,but black has enough compensation.
By the way Be6 instead of Qf6?! seems to be better.E.g. 14...Be6 15. Nd4! Qd7!! 16. Nxe6 Nxe6 += .
White has more space and the pair of bishops(it is not possible to keep this pair) .
Black has the better pawn-sturcture and two dangerous half-open-files on the Kingside.
I would say that white has more chances on the Queenside as black on the Kingside,but black has not only the chance to counter on the KS,but also the plan to play for an Endgame with the better pawn-structure.
I dont understand what intent your game has for the new variations?
Your game showes the early move Bxc3?!,which is not the best move as we know now.

I dont have much time to look at it, but something like 17.Qd2 Nxf4 18.gxf4 looks decent enough for me to white. It's not like white is in any real danger and he is still a pawn up.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 07/31/07 at 11:22:04
Post Tools
Petro"Of course white should play 7.e3 and not 7.a3?! throwing a full tempo on the misplaced bishop on b4. Frankly I don't really see what atracts players to the black side of this position, but would surely love to be enlightened on that. I find Cox's suggestions in his d4 book convincing enough but maybe there are some new ideas for black."
As I said before black has a lot of ideas to fight for a win.
Just look at the database and look how often black could win with different ideas.Of course white has also a lot of wins,but that is the case with all the openings!
To  do this ,white has often to play a3+b4+c5.
7.e3 is also a good move with other ideas as Nb3 and then a3 not to play for the plan with c5 ,but to play for centralisation and make some weaknesses on the queenside  (forcing black to make  dubble-pawn  by exchanging this bishop.)

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 07/31/07 at 11:03:54
Post Tools
I dont understand what intent your game has for the new variations?
Your game showes the early move Bxc3?!,which is not the best move as we know now.

IP Logged

Ptero

When all else fails, read
the instructions.

Reply #45 - 07/31/07 at 10:33:23
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 07/31/07 at 08:58:22:
So I am really proud of the fresh very new lines,which show that the Bdpg is a solid opening.Now I want to have a look at the line with Nd2 instead of Nc3 after Bb4+.
This line has the repetiton that white gets a slight and solid advantage.
What I know now are just a few games with this line,which show some ideas for black.
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe Ng4 4.Bf4 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bb4+  6. Nd2 Qe7 7. a3 (there are moves like 7.e3 ,too)
Nxe5(It doesnt really matter what night will capture on e5) 8.Nxe5 Nxe5 9. e3 Bxd2 10. Qxd2 d6 11. Be2
and now there are two different and interessting plans.
-attaking on the Kingside without castling
-castle +b6+Bb7 and try to find some ways to compensate the strong plan by white to push the c-pawn and create weaknesses

Before I will show the games with this ideas,I want to know,wether there are also some other ideas for black.

Of course white should play 7.e3 and not 7.a3?! throwing a full tempo on the misplaced bishop on b4. Frankly I don't really see what atracts players to the black side of this position, but would surely love to be enlightened on that. I find Cox's suggestions in his d4 book convincing enough but maybe there are some new ideas for black.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #44 - 07/31/07 at 09:16:15
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 07/11/07 at 17:13:42:
Hi,here some fair news for all Budapest players.
I just couldnt accept,that white has an advantage in the line Bf4 Bb4+ and  Nc3+Qd5
I surched and surched and couldnt give up and actually I fount some truths,which may cheer you!
Ok so here a few of the lines,where I thought that white is much better.
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe Ng4 4.Bf4 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bb4+ 6.Nc3 Qe7 7.Qd5 f6 8.exf Nxf 9. Qd3 0-0 10. g3 Ne4(!) 11. Bg2 d6 12. 0-0
So here I didnt want to give up the pair of bishops and only surched for Nxc3 bxc and Bf5.When I found the move e4!! it was a shock to me.White has here a strong pressure ,because after Bxe,there are to many lines open ,which only white can use.
But I found that after 12...Bxc3 (!) 13.bxc  Nc5 14.Qd2 Na5! 15.Qd4 Be6 16. Nd2! Rae8 Black stands ok!!He has now the plan to attak the c-pawn with Qf7 and it is really hard for white to keep his slite advantage!!

I think 14.Qe3 is stronger (14..Qf6 15.Nd4). Eg (by transposition)
[Date "1990.04.??"]
[White "Seirawan,Yasser"]
[Black "Wessman,Richard"]
[Result "1-0"]
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 Ng4 4.Bf4 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bb4+ 6.Nc3 Qe7 7.Qd5 f6 8.exf6 Bxc3+ 9.bxc3 Nxf6 10.Qd3 d6 11.g3 0-0 12.Bg2 Ne4 13.0-0 Nc5 14.Qe3 Be6 15.Nd4 Bxc4 16.Nxc6 Qxe3 17.Bxe3 bxc6 18.Bxc6 Rab8 19.Rfb1 Bxe2 20.Bd5+ Kh8 21.Bxc5 dxc5 22.Rxb8 Rxb8 23.Re1 Bg4 24.f3 Bd7 25.Re7 Rd8 26.Kf2 g6 27.Bc4 Bf5 28.Ke3 Rd7 29.Rxd7 Bxd7 30.Ke4 Bc6+ 31.Bd5 Bd7 32.Ke5 Kg7 33.a3 Be8 34.f4 Bd7 35.Be6 Bc6 36.g4 Bf3 37.f5 g5 38.f6+ Kg6 39.Bd7 Kh6 40.Ke6 Bxg4+ 41.Ke7 Bh5 42.h3  1-0

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo